Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Delicate ❯ Dangling Conversation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Lyn and Andrew and their beautiful family are mine, must have expressed written consent to use, fanfic or whatever. Dee and Ryo etc. are not mine. Don't sue, I'm poor ^_^;

Delicate

Chapter Two:

Dangling Conversation

By: Irish

~*~*~*~*~*~

The girls were put to bed in short order after the detectives arrived, leaving the four men to more adult talk. Even the big dog, Duke, had lain down under the table, muzzle on his paws as the grown ups sipped wine. Ryo was relieved to see that Dee did indeed have table manners. He had been worried, but Dee held his chalice of wine with light fingers and sipped, not slurped.

"I hope you boy's don't mind. Andrew and I eat mostly vegetarian, but we made a vegetable stir-fry with brown rice and sushi. We did make some chicken that can be added to the stir fry if either of you would like some." Lyn offered with a smile as he carefully carried in plates of salad with a light wine dressing, setting the plates in front of everybody.

"Lyn made a very excellent apple pie as well." Andrew added, taking his salad from his husband with a smile. "Thank you, lover."

"It sounds excellent. Where did you learn to cook Japanese?" Ryo asked, neatly folding his napkin on his lap and relaxing when he saw Dee do the same.

"Oh…" Andrew chuckled, sounding almost embarrassed. "I've studied Japanese culture since high school. It's my third language."

Dee smiled to himself as he watched Lyn carefully fold himself into the chair beside his mate's. This had potential, lots of potential. Both men were winning Ryo over fast, and Dee found himself feeling relaxed in their company. Dee usually wasn't so calculating, but he and Ryo needed friends… another couple with kids, men who were going through or had gone through the same things he and Ryo were dealing with.

"Really?" Ryo asked excitedly, breaking off in a long string of Japanese that Andrew seemed to follow impeccably, and responded to without hesitation. "That's amazing, Andrew. Do you even read kanji?"

"Yes. I'm probably not as fluent as you. You sound like a native speaker."

"Nearly. My mother was from Japan. I grew up bilingual." Ryo took a small bite of his salad.

"Oh, wow. No wonder. I'm starting to think that childhood immersion is the best way for kids to learn new languages. Lyn started, what was it, baby? French?" Andrew turned to look at his husband, a hand disappearing under the table to rest, most likely, on Lyn's thigh.

"Yes, it was French, when I was five. Then Latin, then English." Lyn flushed a little. "But, I was home schooled, that's different."

"English is your second language?" Dee homed in on that quickly, feeling very inadequate with his Spanish fluency.

Lyn's flush deepened. "Yes. I ah, I am from Ireland, I was raised speaking Gaelic. One of the last villages in the country to still speak it natively." But there was pride under his voice despite his embarrassment at their attention.

"Really? I had wondered, the way you say some words…. But you don't really have an accent." Ryo leaned forward a little, and then jumped as his cell phone rang. "Shoot, I'm sorry, that's probably my foster son…." Ryo hopped up from the table, looking apologetic as he flipped the phone open. "Hello, Detective MacLean."

"Dad?" It was, indeed, Bikky.

"What's wrong?" Bikky almost never called Ryo 'dad', only when he was in big trouble or really scared, and usually the former to the latter.

"Nothing, really. Its just…Cal had go home early to study for a big test, and… well… I heard gun shots earlier, and now there is a lot of cops just down the street, and I'm a little… scared." Bikky's voice was small, sans his usual bravado.

"Oh, hey, its okay, kiddo. You know what Drake and Ted and JJ look like, right?"

"Yeah. Geez, I'm a kid not a retard." The scared little boy voice that had tugged Ryo's heartstrings was gone. Ryo sighed rolling his eyes. Yes, Bikky was definitely a challenge.

"Okay, do you see any of those three down there?"

"Yeah… JJ."

"Great. Go down to JJ. Tell him that you heard the shots, and at what time. Then, ask him to grab a taxi for you. Tell him I will pay him back tomorrow. If he whines, tell him, I'll pay him back plus interest. That work for you, sport?"

"Yeah, great. Thanks, dad." The relief was audible in Bikky's voice.

"No problem. See you soon. Be careful." Ryo hung up the phone slipping it back into his pocket as he returned to the table. "I am sorry, really. I hope you guys don't mind. That was Bikky… he is twelve, almost thirteen, and he got a little scared. There was a shooting just down the street. He is taking a taxi over." Ryo was blushing as he glanced to the couple that had opened their home to them.

"Hey, no problem. The more the merrier. We've got enough food for him, too." Andrew grinned.

"He's a bit of a behavior problem." Dee grumbled 'helpfully'.

"Don't worry. Andrew has a lot of nieces and nephews in that age range. We can handle him." Lyn smiled touching Ryo's shoulder lightly. Dee wasn't surprised that Ryo flinched slightly at the touch. After all, being gay was catching. And we all know Ryo wasn't gay.

Lyn got up to get another place setting, but Andrew's hand on his thigh stopped him. "Hey, baby. You've been running around all afternoon. Sit down and drink your wine. I can manage another place setting."

"All right, sweetheart, if you're sure." The love in Lyn's eyes was utterly unmistakable as he gazed up to his husband who kissed him softly before picking up a crutch and limping to the kitchen.

"You two are really good together." Dee smiled. "I mean, you really work as a team." Ryo nodded his agreement.

"There is a lot of love between you two."

Lyn's laughter was warm and relaxed as he slouched in his seat a little taking another sip of his wine. "I'm sure our team work has nothing on you two. You two must be team incarnate, partners and all. But yeah, I do love him. So much it hurts sometimes. We've been through a lot, and its true what they say; you either stand together… or fall apart. And we did a lot of the latter before we figured out the former. Andrew was less then a year out of the hospital when we had our ceremony. But by then we knew… I mean, there is little we hadn't gone through… or so we thought, of course. Then we had kids."

"So you had kids… with each other?" Ryo look confused. For once Dee was the one wanting to shout 'baka', but Lyn's smile was patient as Andrew reentered the dinning room, setting another place for Bikky.

"Well… 'had' might be too liberal a word. Male pregnancy is still only in movies and really crazy yaoi. Maybe it would be better to say… we acquired them?" Andrew laughed.

"Or procured?" Lyn suggested also laughing.

"I'm sorry, I must sound so stupid… it's just… I thought they were Andrews… from a previous relationship…" Ryo blushed furiously and Dee patted his back comfortingly.

"Forgive my partner. He is a little new to…" to what? Being gay? No, that would get him in trouble. To the gay community? "To… the idea of homoerotic relationships."

"I'm not gay." Ryo said quickly. There was an awkward silence as their hosts exchanged looks.

"Um…?" Andrew sat down again a small frown on his face. "Then what are you, honey?" Dee wasn't sure he likedr other men calling his honey, honey.

"I'm straight, mostly, I guess. I mean… I love Dee… and I like…when Dee…um…er…"

"Makes love with you?" Dee suggested.

"Makes love to me. But… I just… happened to fall in love with a man. That's all. I love his soul, the rest is just wrapping." Ryo stuttered, looking down into his wine.

"Ryo… None of us can tell you… what you are. But… I do think those words might hurt your koibito quite a lot." Andrew said softly, leaning forward to catch Ryo's eye. Lyn's hand was splayed on Andrew's back, but his eyes were on Dee, giving him a very sympathetic…and understanding, look.

"Hey… it's not like that. I love Dee." Ryo said it again, circular logic. "And Dee understands, right?" Ryo looked to Dee.

Dee's jaw worked a moment… what could he say? The doorbell rang and everyone jumped, including Duke, who raced for the door, but didn't bark. He seemed to know the girls were asleep.

"I'll get it!'' Dee called leaping from his seat and following on the heels of the dog, who, after sniffing at the doorjamb sat dawn on his haunches patiently.

Damn smart dog Dee thought to himself as he pulled the door open for Bikky who was waiting on the front stoop.

"Hey, bozo! Whoa! Who's the dog? He is huge, I'm gonna ask Ryo if I can have a dog like that. Damn." Bikky sauntered in like he owned the place. "Whose place is this anyway?"

"Slow down, sport. Take your shoes and your hat off, and please, try and act like a gentleman." Dee said a restraining hand on his not-exactly-a-foster-son's shoulder.

"Why? Where are we? And like you know how to act like a gentleman?" Dee was saved from answering as Lyn came over to them, kneeling down in front of Bikky, tall enough that even on his knees he was eye to eye with the preteen.

"Hello Bikky, my name is Lyn, and this is my house. The reason you are to act like a gentleman, is because we're having a dinner party, which is more fun when everyone behaves very politely, and secondly, it is always good to be on your very best manners in someone else's house." Lyn spoke in a gentle voice, one that was neither condescending, nor commanding, as he held out his hand to shake.

"Nuts to manners. I'm from the 'hood." Bikky announce proudly, ignoring Lyn's outstretched hand. Lyn's small smile didn't falter.

"Well, that's very nice, Bikky-from-the-hood. But unless you want to always be a street punk, and have people treat you like a child, you will learn manners, because it is what makes little boys men." Lyn's voice was still soft. In the dinning room Ryo started to get to his feet, opening his mouth to interrupt. Andrew's big hand came down on his shoulder. He could already hear the objections Ryo was forming. 'He is just a boy' or 'Bikky, behave' or, the worst, 'he is my son I will reprimand him how I see fit'. Andrew leaned close to his new acquaintance speaking softly.

"I know it's hard to see others educate your child. You may feel embarrassed that you've not taught him this sooner. But it takes a village to raise a child, in a very literal way. Give my husband a chance, but please, please do not say anything. Lyn has a very strict idea of hospitality. In Ireland, a misstep in hospitality used to mean death. Wait, and trust, please."

Ryo twitched under Andrew's hand. Andrew knew how hard this was. He had watched many times when they had last visited Lyn's family on the emerald isle, as others taught his own children, sometimes with a firm hand. But Andrew had also seen how incredibly brilliant and well behaved the other children of the village were.

"Andrew, he is my son."

"Yes, and Lyn's words will not change that. Sometimes words need to come from others before the child takes them to heart. Your man is right there. If he felt Lyn was out of line, he would say so." Andrew's voice was yet a whisper. Finally Ryo subsided fully, watching this strange exchange between Lyn and his son.

"Really?" Bikky didn't sound convinced, he looked up at Dee. "Is that true, Dee? You don't have any damn manners."

"Dee knew enough to shake my hand when it was offered, and give his name." Lyn too looked up to Dee.

"Its true, kid. I do have some manners."

Bikky was slowly starting to blush at all the eyes on him. Never had the boundaries on his behavior been set so immediately, and so plainly… and so publicly. "Oh… alright." Bikky stuck out his hand and took the hand Lyn still held out to him in offering. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Bikky Goldman." Bikky suddenly felt sorely intimidated. The man's grip was firm, and on his knees he was eye to eye with Bikky.

"Hello, Bikky Goldman. My name is Merlyn Doren. I am pleased to meet you as well. Welcome to my home." Lyn's smile widened. "I am very pleased to have you here. My dog there is Duke and he loves to play, but please play quietly. I have two very young girls asleep upstairs."

"Okay. Thanks, Mr. Doren."

"You are very welcome, Mr. Goldman. Enjoy yourself. If there is anything you need or want to know, just ask. Now, go greet your father." Lyn clapped the boy on the shoulder and sent him over to his foster father who sat in absolute stunned silence. He had never heard Bikky call anyone 'Mr.' before, except for teachers, and even that was iffy. The preteen trotted over to Ryo, a hand on the head of Duke as he trotted beside him.

"Hey, dad. I talked to JJ, and he said that it was fine, not to worry about the money." Bikky spoke in an even, restrained tone. Very polite and calm, and not at all his usual manner.

"Good job, Bikky." Ryo smoothed his son's hair, still astonished. "Bikky… I am very proud of you. You sound very grown up this evening. It's very nice."

Bikky shuffled awkwardly. If he had been on Leave it to Beaver, he would have said 'aw shucks pa' but instead he glanced at his dad shyly offering a small smile.

"Thanks. Can I go play with Duke now? This house is huge, and I don't think Mr. Doren would mind if I explore…."

Ryo looked to Andrew. "Ah, well…"

"Hello, Bikky, my name is Andrew Darling. I am Lyn's husband. You can explore to your hearts content, but the girls are sleeping upstairs so be extra quiet. I trust you are grown up enough that I need not give you any other warnings or chastisement?"

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Darling." Bikky stuck out his hand. "You can trust me."

"I'm sure I can." Andrew shook the boys hand and gave Duke's head a pat. "Go on, now." The boy ran off amiably enough as Dee and Lyn returned to the table.

"Lyn… I want to apologize…" Ryo said softly, looking down at his wine for what felt like about the fifth time tonight. "I should have taught him those things a long time ago."

"Ryo, please don't be embarrassed, I beg you. This was no reprimand to you or your son. Bikky is a good boy, I can see that already, but he is full of energy…. piss and vinegar as my mother would have said. He needs boundaries set up fast and firm. I am sorry that this was awkward from you; I hope Andrew explained my actions a little. I often upset others when I try and correct their children. Its not at all because I think you are in anyway lacking as a parent. If you were he would have not responded as quickly to me as he did. Sometimes, it hits home more if we hear it from others." Lyn patted Ryo's hand at the table, and Dee was very relived to see that Ryo didn't snatch his hand away. His smile was beautiful in his relief.

"Then, thank you, Lyn. Thank you very much. That boy would be a handful for two parents, who had always had him. It's only me, and Dee, and neither of us have known him more than two years."

"You are most welcome, Ryo, Most welcome."

The most awkward moments of the evening passed, leaving the men in easy conversation. Dee relaxed as the conversation turned to various subjects. Local politics was easy enough. Global politics…Dee found more of a struggle, before the discussion moved on to children. Through out their talk they didn't hear a peep from Bikky, except for one loud bang from upstairs. Everyone tensed for a moment, but when there was no call for help, no yelp from the dog, or a peep from the sleeping girls, they settled in again.

"I think, if we're ready, I will serve dinner." Andrew offered.

"

Thank you, love, I was starting to worry my stomach would drown out conversation." Lyn laughed. "Dee? Ryo? Would one of you like to come with me to hunt down your son, and my dog?" Ryo stood quickly, still feeling shifty about the earlier interaction with his son.

"Sure, I would love to see the rest of your house as well."

"Wonderful."

They retrieved the boy, who had done nothing worse then accidentally knock a large book from a high shelf. When they returned to the dinner table, Andrew had arranged each plate with the rice, stir fry, and sushi, Bikky's as well. Duke's bowl was ready and waiting for him in the kitchen.

"I don't know how your family feels about prayer…" Lyn hedged. "We're not Christian, but if any of you would like to pray…."

Bikky and Ryo both looked to Dee, the only one of them who had a strong preference on faith. It was Dee's turn to feel a bit awkward.

"I was raised by nuns… I always pray before meals, but I wouldn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable."

"Not at all." Lyn smiled and immediately held out his hands to Andrew on one side and Bikky on the other. Andrew and Dee followed suit, apparently knowing the drill, leaving Bikky and Ryo the slow comers to the ritual. "Would you like to say the word, Dee? I know them as well."

"Ah… I got it. Dear Father, thank you for this food, which we are about to receive. Thank you for another day on the job without injury. Thank you for putting Lyn and his family in our path in our time of need. And thank you, God, that they can both cook. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the holy ghost, Amen." Dee, Andrew and Lyn all crossed themselves.

"Hey, what was that?" Bikky asked watching the three, glancing to his dad.

"What? Crossing myself?" Dee asked, repeating the gesture.

"Yeah, how do you do that?"

Dee showed him, slower this time, saying as he did "spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch. Or at least that's how I remember the order. I'm sure Penguin would crucify me though if she knew that." Dee laughed.

Ryo couldn't believe how smoothly dinner went. Despite having raw fish on his plate Bikky tried a bit politely, and without complaint, though he didn't finish the small roll. Ryo was impressed he tried it at all, and that when he did he didn't just spit it right back out. Bikky also cleared his plate of the vegetables, chicken and rice, despite it being 'rabbit food'. There was no complaining, no protest, though no request for seconds either. Whether it was in indulgence or reward, Lyn had let the boy have an extra large piece of pie, and a cup of coffee, when Bikky requested it, wanting to be like the adults.

Dee was also impressed with Bikky's sudden impeccable manners. Dee knew the boy had never been taught any of these things, not really. Ryo tried, but Bikky certainly had never listened. But something about the way Lyn and Andrew conducted themselves, and treat Bikky, like an adult, as though the expected his behavior to be top notch and would be very shocked and surprised if it were anything else. Bikky didn't disappoint. But Dee's eyes were mostly for Ryo, in part because as the man relaxed, he became more and more handsome in the dim, gentle light of candles and dimmed over head lights, and also because he seemed to open himself up so very quickly to their new found friends, and Dee had no doubt they were indeed friends. Ryo seemed to enjoy Lyn's frequent, and gentle teasing, his quick wit, and appreciate Andrew's s extremely subtle humor, and calm manner. Dee himself released a metaphorical breath that he hadn't remembered drawing and holding that morning, the reservations and doubts about Ryo's sudden adamancy against long term commitment melting away to small puddles as he seemed more at ease with this gay couple. It had just been a bad day… Ryo was just having a tough day; it would all be okay tomorrow.

Author's Note: Wow, these chapters are just shooting out! Thank god for Perkins or I would never get anything done ^_^ . There was a little question about how Ryo can claim to be not gay and also love Dee. Well that's kind of the point… that it's a paradox. And that it hurts Dee. That is the point. Anyway. Any of you who want to hear the song this fic is named after (it's a really phenomenal song) drop me a line. gypsysenigma@aol.com, or gypsysenigma on AOL, IrishLaFey@hotmail.com for MSN, and Gabe_Dewinter on yahoo. Review if you would, reviews feed the muses. Don't be afraid to tell me what you don't like, I'm tough and always appreciate a good constructive criticism.