Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act IV, Disappearances and Reunions ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I do not own FAKE. I am not Sanami Matoh. I am penniless and have nothing worth suing for. This Fanfic is set after (surprise, surprise) ACT III: Pistols and Passion. You may want to read the other ones before you get started, but if you don't feel like it, that's up to you.
Reviews are always welcome, flame me if you like, but I will just point and laugh.
Special thanks to those great people who e-mailed me and gave my ego a nice little stroke. Hope you like it!
 
 
Dee listened to Ryo's soft breathing as his lover slept within his arms. Ryo seemed peaceful now, at least for the moment, and Dee felt a distant nervousness flicker through him. He couldn't stay here much longer. It was too dangerous for him to be any place with anyone he knew. They'd be looking for him, he needed to go. But…
 
Soft brown hair slid through his fingers and Dee sighed. He didn't want to leave Ryo alone. Where the hell was Rose? Dee's mouth thinned at that, but there wasn't any other choice.
 
The door clicked open and Dee cautiously peered up over the couch, his nervousness giving way to the familiar annoyance he felt whenever he saw the Commissioner. Dee gently disentangled himself from Ryo's hold and ushered Rose into the kitchen.
 
“Did you get a hold of Diana?” Dee asked.
 
Rose nodded. “She'll meet you there. Are you sure you can do this?”
 
“I don't have a choice,” Dee snapped back. “All the information Tommy got was destroyed. I saw it, I know where he got it from, so I'll just have to get a copy of my own.”
 
“It seems like a stupid plan for you two to be going in alone.”
 
“You volunteering?”
 
Rose glared at him and Dee shrugged.
 
“I didn't think so. This does make sense, you just don't want to admit it. I'm the one they know about, so I'm the one who's going. Diana's FBI, this is her case, she'd skin me if I didn't take her. No one else is getting involved in this,” Dee sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I hate having to trust you with him.”
 
“But you can,” Rose said softly.
 
“Yeah,” Dee shook his head. “I hate that even more. Don't make me regret this.”
 
“Don't get yourself killed,” Rose said flatly.
 
“I didn't know you cared.”
 
Rose's mouth thinned and they both were silent. Dee stretched and ran a hand through his hair again.
 
“Hey,” he said softly. “About Ryo…He won't ask for anything, but he'll need someone…Bikky knows what to do, so just follow the brat's lead. Make sure that Ryo takes care of himself, alright?”
 
Dee closed his eyes. He felt like he was leaving Ryo forever. It was just for a little while, just until they could piece all of this together and he could come out of hiding. He didn't want to do this. He sighed and wiped a hand across his face.
 
“If you try anything with him,” Dee said lowly. “I will personally make your life a living hell. Do you understand? He's not in the mood.”
 
“I'm well aware of that,” Rose said as he pushed his glasses up. “Why are you so worried anyway? For some unfathomable reason, he loves you.”
 
Dee smiled slightly. “Tell him I said goodbye.”
 
 
Rose sat down lightly on the edge of the couch and stared down at Ryo's sleeping form. He looked normal, at peace, the strain from the past few days now gone as he quietly dreamt. Rose felt a slight pang in his heart and he smiled at his bitter resentment.
 
He wished he could have been the one to still Ryo's fears, to relieve all of his worries just by being with him. He wanted to be the one to wrap Ryo in his arms and strip away all of his terrors.
 
Ryo's skin was amazingly pale against the dark robe, his robe, and Rose felt a slight itching in his fingers. He wanted to trace them over Ryo's face, to lightly caress him as he slept, to give him the comforting contact that Ryo wouldn't accept when he was awake. Rose didn't know what else to do for Ryo; he had never felt this way before.
 
It wasn't fair of him to keep thinking of Ryo like this, and he knew it. He had told the truth, there was no reason for Laytner to worry, the detective could trust Ryo. Rose sighed; and he would certainly try to be on his best behavior too.
 
Rose wished that he could carry on a torrid affair with Ryo MacLean, something animalistic and completely physical. He wanted to possess Ryo completely, for just a little while, just enough to slacken his lust. He thought he could probably be satisfied with that, but he also knew that it wouldn't happen. Not only was Ryo in love with Dee, but Ryo was such a gentle person that Rose knew he would hate himself when he broke things off. No matter what their relationship developed into, even if it somehow became love, it would have to end. He would break things off.
 
Eventually his career would require him to settle down, to take a little wifey and set up house. He would do so, and a part of him had always assumed that Diana would wait for the position to open up. His career would continue to blossom, the street credit he had picked up by working for the 27th helping to propel him to the highest offices. Then, when the time was right, he'd run for a real position. Mayor perhaps, or maybe governor. He hadn't decided that yet. He sighed. The point was he just wanted to play right now, to sow his proverbial oats, and that wasn't fair to trusting Ryo.
 
His hand slid out and gently rested on Ryo's shoulder. He shook him lightly and Ryo moaned, curling up deeper into the couch.
 
“Ryo,” Rose said softly. “Wake up.”
 
“No,” Ryo muttered.
 
The Commissioner smiled. How adorable. Dammit. Hadn't he just decided not more than two minutes ago that Ryo was no longer a conquest? He shook his head quickly, trying to remind himself that he was Ryo's superior officer and friend, nothing more. It was very difficult to ignore the supple feel of Ryo's body beneath his hold. Rose gritted his teeth.
 
“Ryo,” he said again. “Wake up.”
 
“Go away,” Ryo growled.
 
Rose felt his resolve slipping. Ryo squirmed a little on the couch, pressing deeper into the cushions, and the robe slipped open to reveal a smooth patch of skin and one warmly pink nipple. Maybe it would be alright if he slipped up a little bit, just a little fun. Rose winced. Oh this was going to be harder than he had thought.
 
“Ryo, get up right now, or else.”
 
“Or else what?” Ryo snapped back as he sat up, a dark glare in his eyes.
 
Rose smirked at him and leaned forward.
 
“Do you really want to know?”
 
Ryo's eyes widened and a light blush fanned across his face as he leaned back. Rose chuckled and got up.
 
“I brought home some dinner and some clothes for you. I stopped by your apartment, most of the damage seems to be superficial, very little structural. They think that it can probably be repaired.”
 
Ryo looked around as Rose spoke and then the Commissioner turned to meet his eyes again.
 
“He said to say goodbye.”
 
Whatever peace Ryo had found in Dee's arms, whatever comfort he had taken in his dreams, whatever relief he had been given, it all disappeared. His face took back on its haggard worry and he slumped, one hand brushing his light hair out of his eyes.
 
“He'll be fine,” Rose said softly.
 
“Yes,” Ryo answered weakly. “I know.”
 
 
Dee irritably lit another cigarette as he waited for Diana. He didn't like waiting around like this. If she didn't show up soon, he really was going to leave her behind. A soft hand brushed over his shoulder and he almost jumped out of his skin.
 
“Sorry,” Diana chuckled.
 
“Jesus Christ,” Dee panted. “Don't fucking sneak up on me like that. I've been on the run for the past five days, my heart can't take much more!”
 
“Sorry,” she said again and rested her hands on her hips. “Of course, you're the idiot who was just standing here in the middle of nowhere staring off into space. You're lucky I wasn't a mugger.”
 
“God help the mugger who tries to rob me,” Dee growled lowly. “Are you ready?”
 
“Yeah, sure. Drake'll be waiting for us at the warehouse around the corner to take us to the airport. Don't be fucking late, he has to work today.”
 
“Your fiancé is our getaway driver?”
 
“He wouldn't take no for an answer,” she said with a shrug. “Once he found out what we were planning, he refused to just sit back. I'm surprised Ryo isn't here.”
 
“I was smart and didn't tell him anything!” Dee roared.
 
“Really?” Diana stared at him. “I'm surprised.”
 
Dee's face sobered dramatically and he stared up into the sky, quietly smoking again.
 
“Let's just go,” Dee said finally.
 
They walked off into the night, both glancing around warily at every sound. Dee sighed. It wasn't that he liked keeping secrets from Ryo, it was just, well, shit. If Dee had said anything about working tonight, Ryo would have demanded to come along. As much as Dee wished his partner was here, as much as he wished he could rely on Ryo to cover him, he kept seeing Tommy's face explode. He wasn't going to let them use Ryo against him.
 
The thick envelope that Tommy had entrusted to him had met a watery end when Dee had jumped into the East River to avoid his pursuers. He had welcomed the cold water, had wallowed in its chill as he scrubbed off all the blood that he could. He hadn't even thought about the envelope until he climbed out and started shivering in the cold. The swearing that had escaped him after that had probably made quite a few longshoremen blush.
 
He had seen it though, the invoices and shipping logs that Tommy had carefully photocopied and photographed. He knew where they had to go to get the evidence again, and he hoped that things would be quiet enough that they could slip in and look around without being spotted.
 
Dee pulled his gun from the holster at his shoulder and carefully checked the clip. He watched as Diana did the same and she flashed him a small smile.
 
“You ready for this tough guy?”
 
“Try not to slow me down,” Dee teased.
 
“Jackass,” she chuckled and they climbed over the short chain link fence.
 
The building was quiet and still, and Dee tensed as they looked around for some sign of what security they were up against. Diana finally pointed at a camera pointed at the door and she tugged at Dee's shoulder. She led him to one of the windows and he boosted her gently as she peered inside.
 
“Well, well, well,” she whispered. “This is going to be interesting. They've got sensors on the windows.”
 
“Fuck,” Dee snapped as he dropped her lightly back to the ground. “Now what?”
 
“We bypass them,” Diana said with a grin.
 
“This doesn't look like standard FBI training to me,” Dee whispered as Diana dug a knife into the window frame.
 
“You're not the only one with a sordid history,” she said. “Now cut that wire.”
 
Dee leaned over as she handed him the knife and he jerked it sharply through. A painful shock ripped through his hand and he dropped the knife with a startled cry.
 
“Thank you,” Diana chuckled.
 
“You little…”
 
She flipped the window open and he hoisted her up, a little less gentle this time as he pushed her through.
 
“Watch it,” she snapped back and helped him to wriggle in after her. “Now where?”
 
“Hey, I knew to come to Koats Shipping, I've got no idea about where everything is inside. It's not like Tommy included a map.”
 
“Figures,” Diana sighed. “I guess we'll do this the hard way. Keep your eyes open for security. If there's one camera, there are probably quite a few more.”
 
 
Ryo sat quietly on Rose's couch, a cup of coffee in his hands as he blankly watched the news. He'd head over to the hospital soon and check in with Bikky, then he'd go to Dee's place and get things straightened up some. He sighed as his brain began to rattle off all the other things he could do to keep himself focused.
 
Rose passed behind him, silently appraising the way the clothes he had bought clung lightly to Ryo's frame. He almost bit his tongue as he angrily shook those thoughts away. He was going to get hit, he knew it. If things didn't clear up soon, if Dee didn't come back to take this trusting soul away from him, Rose was going to get the shit kicked out of him. And he happened to know from previous experience that Ryo didn't pull punches.
 
He sighed and headed to get his own coffee when the doorbell suddenly sounded. Rose frowned and glanced back at Ryo. Ryo nodded and lifted his gun for Rose to see, the Commissioner smiling slightly. He pulled his own gun from the holster hanging next to his door and peered through the eye hole. He frowned and quickly opened the door.
 
Diana entered, her face grave and pale.
 
“We've got a problem.”
 
 
That idiot.
 
Ryo sat fuming on a cold bench, his eyes staring at the squat building in front of him. Dark sunglasses hid his eyes, and a thick dirty coat was draped around his shoulders. He couldn't wipe the annoyed look off his face as he continued to wait.
 
That idiot.
 
Every time he tried to think clearly it popped in the way. He couldn't believe Dee was that stupid. He couldn't believe ANYONE was that stupid. Sneaking into a shipping company that was a front for drug trafficking with no back up, no official sanction, no nothing. Good God, what the hell was wrong with Dee?
 
That idiot.
 
His jaw clenched angrily. Not that Rose and Diana were any better. What the hell had been going through their heads? He couldn't believe that they had all conspired to hide this from him. Dammit, that was pissing him off a lot too. He could have helped, could have been there to keep Dee from…
 
Ryo blinked thickly and tried to force his anger to return. Anger was better, anger kept him awake and focused. He needed that, nothing else, he was fine. He gritted his teeth and waited.
 
It would have been impossible to get a warrant for the records with the flimsy rumors they had about this place. Unfortunately, without an anonymous source providing them, they were stuck in official channels. All they could do was stake the place out, and Dee had known that things would have shut down until the FBI and the NYPD lost interest and moved on. He had come here with Diana to regain the records and nail these bastards. Unfortunately, things hadn't worked out according to plan.
 
They had been spotted pretty damn fast. Apparently the security cameras inside the building were hidden much better than the ones outside. Dee had managed to stall the security guards that surrounded them, and in typical Dee fashion he had all but flung Diana over the fence. She had landed hard and turned in time to see six security guards slam into Dee. He yelled at her to run, and she didn't really have any choice.
 
They hadn't gotten the information they needed.
 
And now…
 
That idiot.
 
Ryo leaned back against the bench and waited, perking up a little as a small group of people came out of the building and headed for a cluster of waiting cars. It was pretty obvious that one the figures wasn't going willingly, and even more obvious that a gun was involved to keep him moving.
 
Dee…
 
Ryo raised a hand to his face, as though pushing up his sunglasses, and spoke into the radio hidden in his palm.
 
“They're on the move,” he said lowly.
 
“Roger.”
 
A car quickly pulled up to the curb in front of him and he climbed in, staring out past Rose as the caravan of dark cars began to pull out. They filed down the street and Rose waited until they turned the corner ahead of them before he started to follow. Ryo picked up the car's radio.
 
“Diana? You got `em?”
 
“We're on them,” she answered.
 
They trailed after the line of cars, trading off on side streets to reduce the possibility of being spotted. Ryo tensely stared out the windshield, hoping that Dee was alright and he lightly brushed his fingers over his gun.
 
“Looks like they're heading for the old train yards,” Diana said. “Better find some place to park. If we get too close they'll definitely spot us.”
 
Rose snagged the radio, his voice stern and collected.
 
“Don't do anything stupid,” his eyes flickered to Ryo as he released the microphone. “That goes for you too, Detective.”
 
 
They flung Dee out of the car, and he staggered a little, his hands cuffed tightly behind his back as he finally skidded across the ground.
 
“Get him up,” a tall man with black hair snapped.
 
Two others stepped forward and pulled Dee back to his feet. The tall man stepped forward, his eyes flashing angrily at Dee.
 
“So tell me Detective, what were you doing in our offices last night?”
 
“It was on my sightseeing tour,” Dee answered.
 
The man stared at him and then nodded sharply. The air rushed out of Dee as a fist slammed into his stomach. He slumped and coughed a little, the two men holding him up on his feet.
 
“I think that you were there for information, and I happen to know that you weren't alone. So give me the name of your contact and tell me where the papers that little rat bastard Frate gave you are.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Yeah right.”
 
There was a dull click and a gun was pressed against his forehead. Dee just laughed.
 
“Go ahead, shoot me. I'm sure that will make me much more talkative.”
 
“You're right,” the gun dropped away and the tall man smiled coldly at Dee. “Why don't we go pick up your pretty boyfriend? Hmm? Think you'd be more willing to give me what I want when I start breaking his fingers?”
 
Dee's mouth thinned and his eyes flashed coldly.
 
“What's the matter?” the criminal taunted lowly. “No witty come back? You know, we were gentle with him last time, we wanted it to look like some kind of accident. He would have had a quick death. Well, relatively speaking. Don't think that I can't get to him just because he's hiding out with your commissioner.”
 
“Fuck you,” Dee grunted.
 
“What was that Detective?”
 
“I said fuck you,” Dee snapped louder. “You can just go to hell, you hear me? I'm not telling you shit, I don't care what or who you threaten.”
 
“Then there's not much point in my keeping you alive, is there?”
 
“Then kill me and get it over with,” Dee roared at him. “God, you pansy ass. Just do it already.”
 
“You're incredible,” the man said with a smile. “Shoot him.”
 
He paused and turned slightly.
 
“In the stomach,” he added. “Let him suffer.”
 
Ryo sighted quietly down the rifle, his fingers tense as he listened to the angry conversation. Come on, come on.
 
A cell phone rang sharply below them and the tall man answered it quickly, holding up a hand to pause the shooting. One of the men holding Dee clamped a hand over the detective's mouth to keep him quiet. Dee glared angrily up at him. Ryo watched through the scope as the tall criminal's eyes narrowed darkly and he spun back to Dee.
 
“Who the fuck did you tell?”
 
Perfect timing Ted and JJ, Ryo thought quietly. He hoped that they had managed to get the information out without any problems. Of course, no one had radioed to say they were in trouble, and today they were operating under “no news meant good news.” Things must have gone fine.
 
“What?” Dee said.
 
“Don't play with me anymore, Detective.”
 
Ryo watched as the man drew a gun from his jacket and lightly pressed the barrel against Dee's forehead.
 
“I'm sick of this bullshit. Where are those papers?”
 
“I lost them,” Dee said, never blinking.
 
“Enough is enough. Goodbye Detective.”
 
“Now,” Rose's voice crackled in Ryo's ear.
 
Ryo pulled the trigger and a canister of smoke dropped neatly at the base of the man's feet, the gun's sharp report echoing in the cool air. A dull hissing sounded as thick smoke began to fill the air around them.
 
“What the fuck is that?” someone yelled.
 
“This is the police!” Rose's voice sounded through a bullhorn. “Throw down your weapons and place your hands where we can see them! We have a warrant for the arrest of Rick Knolon for suspicion of drug trafficking. Throw down your weapons!”
 
Dee chuckled quietly and grinned at the tall man.
 
“Enjoy prison.”
 
“You son of a bitch,” he bit out and the gun jammed back into Dee's face.
 
The man's shoulder exploded in a burst of red and he spun around with a scream. He dropped to the ground and a clatter of discarded weapons followed him. Dee blinked and stared down at the man struggling to clamp his hand over his wound. Dee grinned again and looked around. Ryo must be close by. His eyes finally spotted sun reflecting off of metal and he smiled warmly as he mouthed the words.
 
Thanks Ryo.
 
Ryo stared through the rifle sight and smiled back.
 
“You're welcome Dee.”