Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act V, Betrayal and Resurrection ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I don't own FAKE. I'm not Sanami Matoh and I am not making any money off of this. I hope you all are happy about that. Bastards.
 
This is yaoi and hentai, and that means hot boy on boy action. If that makes you uncomfortable then how in the hell are you a FAKE fan anyway? Get out of here!
 
 
“Stop being such a jackass,” Ryo snapped at Dee and Dee glared back at him.
 
They were walking past JJ and the blue haired sharpshooter stared at them with a little shock. Dee's eyes coldly darted over him and then locked back onto Ryo.
 
“So sorry Detective MacLean, I didn't realize that I was bothering you.”
 
“Screw you Laytner,” Ryo growled and stalked away.
 
Dee pulled out a cigarette and irritably lit it, his eyes still angrily staring at Ryo. JJ's mouth hung open and he turned to Dee. He stared at the dark haired detective for a moment and then his eyes narrowed.
 
“What did you do?” JJ demanded.
 
“What?” Dee said.
 
“What did you do to Ryo?”
 
Dee blinked in shock. What the hell was this? Was JJ taking Ryo's side? That was unexpected.
 
“I didn't do anything to Randy.
 
“Stop it,” JJ said sharply. “You better shape up or you're going to lose him and you'll only have yourself to blame. I don't care how sexy you are, you've got no reason to treat him like that.”
 
Dee stared at him and he suddenly felt the urge to spill the beans, but he knew that he couldn't, no matter what. He forced the comforting smile that wanted to break out to disappear and scowled at JJ.
 
“Mind your own business.”
 
 
Diana sat down on Rose's desk and stared down at him with a half smile.
 
“So,” she said. “What are you up to Berks?”
 
“What do you mean?” Rose said absently as he read from one of Ryo's case files.
 
“What's going on with Dee and Ryo?”
 
“Why do you think I would know?” he asked and glanced up at her.
 
“Hmmm,” she said. “Why are you answering everything I ask with a question?”
 
“You're doing the same thing,” he pointed out and she chuckled.
 
“Come on Berks, you can tell me. Is Dee really under investigation for leaking information? I'm having a hard time believing it.”
 
“You'll have to check with IA. Contrary to popular belief, I don't know everything that's going on around here.”
 
Diana snorted. “I find that impossible to believe.”
 
There was a quiet knock on Rose's door and Ryo entered, his eyes flashing irritably as he dropped a file on Rose's desk.
 
“We can try there next,” he said flatly. “Hello Diana.”
 
“Hey Handsome,” she said and pecked his cheek. “How are things going?”
 
“Fine,” Ryo said dully.
 
Diana's eyebrow lifted slightly and she leaned closer as though inspecting Ryo. He stared blankly back and she sighed and pulled away.
 
“How's Dee?” she asked.
 
Ryo's eye twitched slightly and he took a deep breath, his hands locking into fists.
 
“How should I know?” Ryo said lowly. “Go ask him.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Oh what?” Ryo snapped. “Can we get going now?”
 
 
Drake and JJ both looked up expectantly as Diana entered the FBI agent's eyes distant and thoughtful as she shut the door. She sat down on Drake's desk and he lightly rested a hand at her waist.
 
“Well?” he asked.
 
“I don't know,” she said. “They're definitely fighting, but Berkeley didn't tell me anything.”
 
JJ's eyes flashed with worry and he sat down at his own desk. He should be happy, he should be throwing a parade and making plans to heal his senpai's broken heart. He should be absolutely bubbling with joy, but if the rumors were true, how could he be happy about anything?
 
Dee couldn't be selling information, it had to be a lie. I.A. must be wrong. The hurt expression on JJ's face deepened. Dee wouldn't betray him like that. Then JJ winced.
 
But what else could make him and Ryo fight like that? Ryo made Dee happy, and as jealous and bitter as that made JJ, he was happy for Dee. But now…
 
“He called him Randy,” JJ murmured.
 
 
“I can't believe that you didn't tell Diana,” Ryo said as he and Rose returned to the Commissioner's office, the door carefully locked behind them.
 
“Why would I?” Rose said with a shrug. “You know how close she and Drake are. I tell her, she tells him, he tells JJ and suddenly everyone with half an eardrum knows about it.”
 
“Yes, but I also know how close you and she are.”
 
“And how close is that?”
 
“I'm not an idiot,” Ryo said with a smile. “I know what she did for you.”
 
“That kiss was her idea,” Rose said with a shrug. “I personally can't imagine ever encouraging anyone to kiss that idiot.”
 
Ryo chuckled slightly and pulled his jacket off, absently rolling up his shirt sleeves as he peered down at the files on Rose's desk. Rose stared at him and Ryo frowned as he looked up.
 
“What is it sir?”
 
“Detective,” Rose sighed. “You're infuriating.”
 
Ryo's frown deepened. “Sir?”
 
Rose moved forward and Ryo stepped back until he felt the wall pressing lightly into him. He glanced at the door but then Rose's hands were splayed against the wall on either side of him and he was trapped.
 
“S-sir?” he said again.
 
Rose's eyes burned against him and Ryo couldn't help the blush that broke out across his cheeks. It was there again, that strange intensity that made him think of Dee. They really did have a lot in common. Ryo pressed himself a little more firmly against the wall and stared up at Rose as he tried to figure out what to do.
 
“Infuriating,” Rose repeated. “One moment I'm absolutely certain that I've conceded victory to that punk partner of yours and I'm fine with it. Then I look at you or listen to your voice and all I can think about is touching you. It's maddening. Infuriating.”
 
The blush darkened dramatically and Ryo's dark eyes continued to stare at Rose. Berkeley could see everything in them, all the trust and hope and worried uncertainty. He loved those eyes, but they seemed to hold too much sometimes. The Commissioner sighed and his hands dropped back to his sides as he stood up.
 
“This would be a lot easier if you didn't look at me like that,” Rose said tiredly.
 
“Would you prefer another hit?” Ryo asked, his voice steady even if his eyes were still uncertain.
 
Rose smiled slightly. “Sometimes I think I would, so long as I got to kiss you first.”
 
Ryo's mouth thinned and he shook his head. “That's not going to happen.”
 
“I know,” Rose sighed sadly. “You're dismissed for the day. Make sure Laytner knows you're leaving and I'll be checking in with him.”
 
“Yes sir,” Ryo said.
 
Rose watched as Ryo left and he sighed again. Yes, things would be a lot easier if Ryo didn't look at him like that. He chuckled quietly. Hell, things would be a lot easier if Ryo didn't look like that.
 
 
Rose whistled quietly as he walked through the station the next morning, a slight bounce in his step as he filled his coffee cup and headed for Ryo and Laytner's office. He needed to talk to Dee about some of IA's plans and was hoping to be able to throw in a few insults of his own on the way out. He had to admit that Ryo and Dee were damn convincing in their fighting, and even he was having a hard time remembering that they weren't serious about it. Ryo always looked so hurt when Dee called him `Randy' and Dee always looked so angry when Ryo yelled at him.
 
He swung the door open and his eyes narrowed darkly. Ryo was perched on Dee's desk and leaning down into a long slow kiss with his dark haired partner. They pulled apart and stared at Rose as he quietly shut the door.
 
“What if it had been someone else?” Rose hissed.
 
“You're the only one who doesn't knock,” Dee answered in the same volume.
 
Ryo scratched at his chin and stared up at the ceiling. Oops. He just hadn't been able to help himself. They had been forced to whisper quietly back and forth so no one could hear them, and that, of course, required them to be close together, and then, well…one thing just led to another. He sighed and tried to ignore the blush that raced across his face.
 
“What did you want anyway?” Dee asked softly as he lit a cigarette.
 
“IA wants you to know that they're tapping your phones today.”
 
“What?” Dee shook his head in disgust. “Why do I feel more like a criminal than a cop?”
 
“I'm just relating their plans Detective,” Rose said. “And if you recall, this is your job so get used to it.”
 
“I don't remember anything in my job description about being ridiculed, wire tapped, and bullied by my bosses,” Dee grumbled and Ryo lightly rested a comforting hand on his shoulder.
 
“Calm down, we'll figure this out soon.”
 
“Yeah, we better. I forgot how bad my cooking is.”
 
 
Dee angrily kicked an empty beer can across his apartment floor as he headed towards the door. Damn he hated living on his own now, it sucked. There was no one to talk to, no kid to yell at, no Ryo to hold. He rolled his eyes at how much of a family man he had turned into. Screw it, he didn't care, he missed them. He wrenched the door open and shook his head irritably.
 
“Jerry Tinota,” he grunted. “I can't believe you're out of jail.”
 
“Ah Detective, you should know how the system works. Provide enough information and you can get anything you want.”
 
Tinota pushed past him and into the dingy apartment, his eyes flickering over Dee's few possessions. Dee scowled at him and slammed the door shut.
 
“Why, come on in,” he snapped. “What the hell do you want?”
 
“Detective Laytner, you seem to be in a bad mood. What's the problem? Trouble at work?”
 
Dee's mouth thinned and he glared at Tinota. The man just smiled back.
 
“Or perhaps trouble at home? What happened to you and Mr. Randy MacLean?”
 
“I don't see how that's any of your business,” Dee muttered as he lit a cigarette. “Now why are you here?”
 
“My employer is interested in your services.”
 
“Your employer?” Dee shook his head. “Why not just say, `Franklin MacLean wants you to work for him.' Dumbass. I can't believe you're working for him after selling him out like that. I'll bet he's planning on shooting you in the head the minute he gets out of jail.”
 
Tinota's eyes narrowed but he quickly pushed the irritation aside and smiled at Dee again. He waited a long moment and then chuckled.
 
“It would seem to me that most honest cops would have asked me to leave by now.”
 
“Well most honest cops aren't going the shit I'm going through,” Dee answered. “Now what do you want?”
 
“Like I told you,” Tinota said. “Provide enough information and you can get anything you want.”
 
“I see,” Dee said. “You're looking for an in. Let me guess, you lost all your police contacts when your employer went to jail.”
 
“Most,” Tinota said coyly. “I think you'll find that we pay very well for good information.”
 
Now Tinota's hand reached out and trailed lightly up Dee's face.
 
“And there could be other benefits as well.”
 
Dee smacked his hand away. “Don't be stupid.”
 
Tinota chuckled and shrugged. He pulled a business card from his pocket and held it out to Dee.
 
“If you're interested, be at that address tomorrow after your shift. Have something worth selling and we'll talk about doing business.”
 
Dee stared at the card, his mouth twitching a little. Tinota smiled and waited. Dee finally grunted and took the small card, his eyes now not meeting Tinota's.
 
“I'll see you soon Detective,” Tinota said softly.
 
 
“He hit on you?” Ryo said quietly, an annoyed and impatient glare on his face.
 
“Damn you're hot when you're jealous,” Dee teased, his voice barely more than a whisper.
 
Ryo blushed darkly and suddenly his voice took on a sharp edge as he yelled.
 
“Because I said so, you jackass!”
 
Dee chuckled quietly and leaned back in his chair. This part of things was kind of fun. He and Ryo had an excuse to sit around in their office and talk and every now and then he got to hear Ryo let off a good swear. In Dee's opinion, his partner did not partake in the choicest pieces of the English language nearly enough.
 
“What else happened?” Ryo whispered.
 
“Not much. He gave me his card and told me to meet him tonight, but I need some kind of information to hand over. Rose is out looking for something that's not too vital or that we can set up,” he cleared his throat. “Dammit! Stop asking me stupid questions, you prick!”
 
“If you can't be civil then don't fucking talk to me!” Ryo roared.
 
Dee chuckled silently and stared at Ryo.
 
“Fucking?” he said softly. “Ouch Ryo.”
 
“You'll live. What should I call you on my way out?”
 
“I don't know. Prick worked pretty well for me.”
 
A grin broke out across Ryo's face and he shook his head. Nope, couldn't use that one without smiling. It always made him laugh, ever since he had called Rose a prick for hitting on him. The insult was ruined forever.
 
“I don't know,” Dee shrugged. “How about ass-bitch?”
 
His dark eyed partner stared at him and then blinked, a grin breaking out over his face. Ryo had to clamp a hand over his mouth to hold in his laughter. Tears collected in his eyes as his body shook, his face growing red with all the effort at remaining silent. Dee grinned and shook his head.
 
“You're not taking your job very seriously.”
 
“L-look who's t-talking,” Ryo panted. “A-ass-bitch.”
 
Dee snorted laughter and covered it up by quickly kicking his desk. “Shut up!”
 
Ryo wiped the tears away and shook his head. Typical Dee. Ryo missed this, just being alone with Dee, talking about cases and life. They couldn't spend any real time together now, and even though it had only been a couple of days, Ryo really missed his partner. He sighed and stood up, quickly straightening his tie and smoothing a hand over his jacket.
 
“I'll see you later,” he said softly and picked up the files from his desk.
 
Ryo carefully opened the door and stepped out, his face a mask of hurt irritation as he stared back at Dee.
 
“Goodbye,” he said coldly and walked away.
 
Dee flinched when the door closed and ground out the cigarette he had been smoking. For some reason, that single word hurt more than any insult Ryo could have used.
 
 
Dee smoked his cigarette and leaned against the large brick building, his eyes irritably staring at the ground. He hated this. For one thing, he really did feel like he was betraying the NYPD. After all, wasn't he preparing to ruin a drug bust just to try and ferret out a snitch? Those drugs would end up on the street now, and God only knew how many people would suffer. He dropped his cigarette and ground it under his heel.
 
“Detective Laytner, how nice to see you.”
 
Dee looked up as Tinota came around the corner, the same small smile on his face.
 
“Yeah, whatever,” Dee grumbled. “What now?”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Look, it's not like I've done this before,” Dee grunted at him. “So what do I do now?”
 
Tinota chuckled and handed him a cell phone.
 
“Just wait for the call.”
 
Dee frowned and started to say something but the phone suddenly went off in his hand. He jumped and juggled it a little, Tinota laughing again. Dee flashed him a dark scowl and then pressed the phone to his ear.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hello Dee.”
 
Franklin MacLean. Ryo's estranged bastard of a grandfather. Dee's eyes narrowed angrily.
 
“Well shit,” he said flatly.
 
A soft chuckling sounded in his ear.
 
“What's the matter Dee?”
 
“The last time I talked to you you shot me,” Dee growled. “I'm starting to get a little nervous here.”
 
“Now, now,” Franklin said. “I thought you were here to do business.”
 
Dee sighed heavily. “Yeah, sure.”
 
“Don't sound so excited. Tell me, what happened between you and my grandson?”
 
“Nothing,” Dee said flatly.
 
“Oh really? I thought you were in love.”
 
“It's hard to love someone who doesn't trust you,” Dee snapped. “Can we get on with this?”
 
“Why are you doing this?” Franklin asked softly.
 
Dee blinked. Shit. How was he supposed to answer that? He thought of Berkeley Rose suddenly and scowled.
 
“Revenge. I'm being treated like a criminal and I didn't do shit. So if I'm going to have to do the time anyway, fuck it, I'm doing the crime.”
 
“Sensible. Tell me what you know and I'll tell you what I pay.”
 
“That sounds like a pretty stupid way of doing business,” Dee said into the phone. “Especially considering it's a deal I'm making with someone who shot me.”
 
“You've brought that up twice now. You really do need to get over it if you want to work for me.”
 
“Let's get this straight, I'll feed you information, I'll tell you whatever the hell you want to know, and you'll pay me a fair price. But I do not work for you. Got it?”
 
“Very well,” Franklin chuckled. “Feed me some information Detective Dee.”
 
Dee closed his eyes and felt his stomach clench. He steeled himself and started to speak.
 
 
He felt dirty. He felt disgusted with himself. He hated what he had done. Dee rubbed a hand across his face and stared down at the pile of cash on his kitchen table. God, how could people do this? The damned money wasn't worth this, not worth the knot in his stomach, the dirt in his soul…not worth being without Ryo. Dee closed his eyes and slumped back in his seat.
 
He wanted Ryo. Ryo was the only one who could smile at him and make this all okay. His Ryo. He wanted to cling to Ryo, to feel soft hands in his hair as a gentle voice told him it was alright, he was safe, protected. Loved.
 
Dee pressed one hand over his aching eyes and lifted the cigarette to his lips. He just wanted to go to bed and sleep.
 
Goodbye…
 
He gritted his teeth and shook his head.
 
“Stop thinking about that,” he snapped at himself.
 
But his eyes slid back to the money on the table and he shivered. Ryo's voice had been so empty, so cold. Why couldn't he think of Ryo's warmth now? What was wrong with him?
 
“Just stop thinking,” he muttered numbly.
 
 
“Jesus, just tell me where you were then!” Ryo yelled.
 
Dee glared at him and stormed into their office.
 
“It's none of your business!”
 
Ryo slammed the door behind them and turned to find himself wrapped in Dee's arms. Dee pressed his face against Ryo's neck and breathed him in, his hands tightening at Ryo's back. Ryo blinked and gently rubbed his hands across Dee.
 
“Are you okay?” he whispered.
 
Dee nodded slightly. There was a soft knock at the door and it started to open. Ryo's hand flew out and roughly forced it shut again.
 
“We're busy in here,” he roared.
 
“It's important,” Drake's muffled voice called.
 
Dee pulled away and smiled at Ryo, his eyes flashing with that same indominatable spirit, but Ryo could see the strain too. Ryo smiled back.
 
I love you, he mouthed.
 
I love you too, Dee's lips answered.
 
Ready?
 
Both pulled on dark scowls and Dee wrenched the door open and pushed past Drake.
 
“We're done anyway,” Dee snapped.
 
 
“That was a good tip,” Franklin MacLean said with a laugh.
 
Dee closed his eyes and rubbed his hand over them. He was back out on a street corner, Jerry Tinota looming nearby as he again spoke to Ryo's grandfather. Dee slumped against a street sign and thought about lighting a cigarette. He really needed to cut back though. The lighter flicked loudly as he pulled at the flame and released a long puff of smoke. Screw it. He was stressed. He'd stop smoking when the world stopped sucking.
 
“Yeah,” he muttered finally. “What now?”
 
“Well I thought you might have something else to sell. You work in Criminal Investigations after all, that's much closer to the information I'm interested in than my other sources.”
 
“Other sources?”
 
“Now, now Detective Dee, be careful.”
 
“Yeah, whatever,” Dee grunted.
 
“What's the matter? Isn't this as fun as you thought it would be? Don't you feel avenged now?”
 
“Not particularly,” Dee snapped. “I feel cheated. I think I could get better prices elsewhere.”
 
“It's a buyer's market,” Franklin chuckled.
 
“I've got other connections that I could go to,” Dee threatened.
 
A long silence answered him and Franklin sighed.
 
“Very well, I'll up your fee, but you had better deliver something good.”
 
Dee closed his eyes and started talking.
 
 
Dee wandered aimlessly up and down the liquor store aisles. He kept randomly picking up bottles and putting them down. The dark haired detective wasn't really looking at anything or for anything, he just couldn't seem to focus. He had come inside to grab a bottle of anything hard and strong and had ended up staring at a vodka display for almost five minutes straight before he snapped back to reality.
 
His mind just didn't want to clear and he sadly closed his eyes. Alcohol wouldn't help that. Dammit, he didn't know if he wanted his mind to clear, he just didn't…
 
He walked out into the night empty-handed, his fists jamming down into his coat pockets as the cool air washed over him. The past kept threatening to rush over him and he angrily scowled up at the grey sky as he pushed his thoughts back.
 
“Hey! Dee!”
 
Dee blinked thickly as a familiar blonde head bobbed into view and Bikky grinned at him. Dee smiled suddenly and tosseled a hand through the thick hair. Bikky laughed and smacked it away as he fell into step next to Dee.
 
“How you been, freak?” Bikky asked.
 
“Alright. How about you monkey boy?”
 
“Eh. Dad's all bored and down, so that kind of sucks.”
 
“Yeah,” Dee sighed. “I know how he feels.”
 
“You don't look so good, you sure you're okay?”
 
Dee was silent for a moment. His eyes traveled to the cast on Bikky's arm and traced over his signature. It was scrawled next to Ryo MacLean and Dee chuckled before he glanced at Bikky.
 
“Hey, Biks, why'd you start calling Ryo `Dad'?”
 
Bikky looked up at him, his wide blue eyes suddenly filled with such mature emotion that Dee almost faltered under their intensity.
 
“Because I love him like a father and I wanted him to know that.”
 
Dee blinked and then grinned at Bikky.
 
“Good work, you little psychopath.”
 
“You're saying that I'm crazy? Look who's talking old man.”
 
“How about a soda Biks?”
 
Bikky grinned up at him and Dee rested a hand on the boy's head as they entered a small diner. Suddenly, Dee felt a lot better and he wished that he could follow Bikky home to Ryo.
 
 
It made the news.
 
Drug bust gone bad. Three cops shot, one critically injured, two minor. No arrests, no drugs seized. A set up.
 
An ambush.