Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act V, Betrayal and Resurrection ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I don't own FAKE. I'm not Sanami Matoh and I am not making any money off of this. I hope you all are happy about that. Bastards.
 
This is yaoi and hentai, and that means hot boy on boy action. If that makes you uncomfortable then how in the hell are you a FAKE fan anyway? Get out of here!
 
 
“Dee!”
 
Mother Maria Lane happily engulfed him in her arms as he dropped the pile of boxes he carried and bent over. She pecked him on the cheek and then roughly pinched it.
 
“You're in some trouble with me,” she said sternly. “Do you know how many police officers I had to lie to for you?”
 
“Sorry Penguin,” he said with a laugh and the pinch grew firmer. “Ow! OW! Sorry MOTHER!”
 
“That's better,” she said and released him. “Hello Ryo! Hi Bikky!”
 
“Hello Mother,” Ryo said. “We brought you and the kids some goodies.”
 
“You boys are too generous,” she said as she shook her head. “We certainly do appreciate your support though. Come inside, come inside. It's too cold to be standing out here all day.”
 
Dee scooped back up his packages, a few of the orphans already clamoring around him and climbing up onto his shoulders. A gang of boys that Bikky knew rushed over to inspect his cast and immediately demanded to sign it. Ryo soon found himself supporting not only a large stack of food, but three children who were all struggling to hang onto him.
 
“Hey, Penguin!” a little boy yelled. “We're taking Bikky to the gym!”
 
“It's MOTHER!” Mother Maria roared. “And play carefully. Bikky already has one broken arm, don't give him another. Come with me boys, I'll make you some tea.”
 
“Actually,” Ryo said with a small smile. “I think I'll go put this stuff away and play with the kids. I'll see you both later.”
 
Mother glanced at Dee and he carefully met her eyes. She nodded and then smiled down at the children still milling at their feet.
 
“Alright, alright, take this stuff from Dee and help Ryo put it away. Play nice with him.”
 
Ryo laughed and followed as a gaggle of kids led him down the hallways to the storage rooms, all talking at him at once, his head nodding and eyes flashing as he answered them all. Dee stared after him for a moment and then Mother boxed him lightly in the back of the head.
 
“You little miscreant!” she said angrily. “You made that poor man worry about you, and I'll bet you spent all your time just lounging around.”
 
“Ack! Sorry, sorry. It's not like it's something I meant to happen,” Dee's eyebrows lowered. “And Ryo forgave me so it's none of your concern.”
 
“Hmph. I'm glad you found him Dee,” her eyes softened and she gently patted his cheek. “He loves you so much, and he always will,” she winked then. “After all, a Mother knows these things.”
 
Dee smiled at her and she sighed.
 
“Well, let's have that tea, and you can tell me why you're here. You need to talk, right? You always get that look on your face when you need someone to listen to you.”
 
“It's about Jess,” Dee said quietly as he followed her into one of the small sitting rooms.
 
“Oh? What did you want to know about him?”
 
“Am I like him?”
 
Her head turned and she stared at him with a slight frown.
 
“What do you mean Dee?”
 
“Am I like him?” Dee said again. “Are we the same?”
 
“Yes,” she said and smiled. “No.”
 
She gestured for Dee to sit down and she sat down across from him. She stared into his worried eyes and she smiled.
 
“It's unusual for you to be so vocal about your concerns,” she said. “You usually just lock them away if you can't take some kind of action. You were always good at that part, taking action, you always could be counted on to do what needed to be done.”
 
“Yes,” he said numbly and thought about the three cops who had been shot because of him.
 
What needed to be done. Yes, he had always been that way, willing to charge in and take control. It's what he did, it's how he reacted, but now he didn't know what to do. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.
 
“What happened, Dee?”
 
“I've…I've done something that I can't,” his voice faded and he shook his head. “I think that I'm losing my way.”
 
“No,” Mother said and caught his eyes. “You're not. I know how much you loved Jess, how much he did for you and how much he gave to you. But he was a weak man, Dee. You don't have that same weakness in you. You're strong, and your heart only makes you stronger. You listen to that, and you'll stay true. Keep living as honestly as you always have.”
 
Dee stared at her and she leaned forward and brushed back his bangs. A simple mother's touch, a gentle reminder of her care and presence.
 
“I'm proud of you Dee,” she said. “I love you like a son. I'll always believe in you, never doubt that. We love you, Dee. I don't think that you can ever hear that enough, can you? I'll have to ask Ryo what he thinks.”
 
She laughed then and shook her head.
 
“Listen to this old woman babble. Honestly Dee, every time you come I end up feeling old and happy,” she said. “Now let's have that tea.”
 
Dee blinked back his tears and smiled.
 
“Thank you Mother.”
 
“What?” she teased. “No Penguin?”
 
 
“So instead of letting us jet off to England,” Dee said glumly. “You're going to lock us up in some NYPD safe house.”
 
Rose smirked at him. “Calm down Detective. It's not like it's a roach infested rat hole. I'm sure you've lived in worse.”
 
Dee growled low in his throat and Ryo flashed him a warning glance.
 
“What about Bikky sir?”
 
“He's certainly free to accompany you,” Rose said as he turned back to his paperwork. “I'm filling out the forms now to make sure that everything's arranged. Pack what you need. The court date is set for the end of the week, and you'll probably need to stay there afterwards until we can work out how to keep MacLean contained. Any other questions?”
 
“No sir,” Ryo said.
 
“No,” Dee sighed.
 
Rose's eyes glinted up to him and Dee stared boredly back. Rose shook his head and continued to write.
 
“You're dismissed.”
 
 
Bikky dug into the pizza with open abandon. He grinned at Dee and Ryo and both tiredly stared back.
 
“I don't know what you two are so down about,” Bikky said happily. “We're going on vacation! It's going to be awesome! I just wish that we could take Carol with us.”
 
“Not gonna happen,” Dee said as he lit a cigarette. “You can't even call her while we're gone, or go running around the streets alone, or do any of the stupid bullshit you usually pull.”
 
“What? That's not fair!” Bikky yelled.
 
“It's for your own good, Bikky,” Ryo said. “We have to make sure that you're safe.”
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Bikky said with a small pout. “I get it. That doesn't mean I have to like it.”
 
“But you do have to follow the rules,” Dee pressed.
 
“I just said I got it! Jesus you stupid moron, clean out your ears!”
 
“What! You little street punk! I'm going to rip your ears off!”
 
“Just try it you old pervert! You won't be able to touch me!”
 
Dee sprang across the table and Bikky nailed him in the head with his plaster encased arm.
 
“OUCH! Holy shit! When do you get that thing off again?” Dee roared as he rubbed at his head.
 
“Not soon enough!” Bikky yelled back. “Get up, dweeb, so I can knock you back down!”
 
What am I getting into? Ryo thought tiredly. Bikky and Dee locked up together for at least a week. No breaks, no slipping out into the city, just caged up like the wild animals they so often became. He sighed heavily and rubbed a hand across his eyes.
 
“You better watch it you little ape or I'll break your other arm!”
 
“Yeah whatever,” Bikky said. “You just try!”
 
Bikky flung his cast out again, but he was too off balance and started to topple backwards. Dee's eyes widened and he grabbed the front of Bikky's shirt and roughly pulled him back up.
 
“Careful Biks, or we will have to take you to the hospital again,” he said as he released the boy.
 
“Yeah, thanks,” Bikky grunted. “Dad, can I have the last piece of pepperoni?”
 
“I don't want it,” Ryo said.
 
“You want to split it?” Bikky asked Dee.
 
“Nah, I can't eat anymore.”
 
“Good, because I didn't want to share with you anyway!”
 
“You short little pissant,” Dee said as he shook his head.
 
Ryo smiled and leaned back in his chair. They certainly had their own way of communicating. He watched as Dee ruffled a hand through Bikky's hair and laughed when Bikky stuck out his tongue. Sometimes Ryo worried that he was raising another Dee Laytner, that Bikky (whether he would admit it or not) had quite a bit in common with the dark haired detective. But at times like this, he knew that even if that was true, it wasn't a bad thing, the world could use more men like Dee. And as far as spending so much time locked up with the two of them, well, it wouldn't be that bad.
 
“I thought you said you couldn't eat anymore, pervert!” Bikky yelled as Dee pulled a piece of pepperoni off of his pizza.
 
“Bite me. I just wanted that little bit.”
 
“You mummified fart!”
 
Ryo sighed. It couldn't be that bad.
 
 
Dee and Bikky both glared darkly at Berkeley Rose as he stared irritably back. He was standing at the driver's door of a mid-sized car, waiting impatiently for them to load themselves inside. Ryo paused at the trunk of the car as he pushed around some of their luggage to fit another suitcase inside.
 
“I really don't like that Rose guy,” Bikky said flatly. “Why does he have to go with anyway?”
 
“He's the only one who knows where exactly we're going,” Dee grumbled. “Hey! Ryo, Bikky wants to ride up front.”
 
“Huh?” Bikky glanced up at him and Dee gave him a hard glance. “Oh, yeah! Please Dad! I want to look around!”
 
“Look around?” Ryo said with a laugh. “You just want to find landmarks so you can sneak out and get back to neighborhoods you know.”
 
“Well,” Bikky scratched at his chin, Dee smiling at such a Ryo-ish action. “No…”
 
Dee rolled his eyes.
 
“If you're going to lie Bikky,” Dee said softly. “At least sound confident about it.”
 
“Hey, shut up,” Bikky hissed back. “I'm trying to help you out.”
 
“You're doing a crappy job.”
 
“You just want to make sure he doesn't sit with that Rose guy, right?” Bikky asked.
 
“Yeah,” Dee said cautiously.
 
Bikky flashed him an evil grin and then slammed his cast into Dee's side.
 
“OW!” Dee yelled.
 
“OW!” Bikky screamed in answer. “MY ARM! MY ARM! DAD!”
 
“Bikky!” Ryo rushed to him and framed Bikky's face with his hands. “Are you okay? I told you not to hit Dee like that, especially not with your broken arm.”
 
“It hurts,” Bikky moaned, a few crocodile tears running down his face. “It really hurts!”
 
Bikky wrapped his good arm around Ryo's waist and Ryo hugged him close. Dee scowled at the boy and rubbed at his aching ribs.
 
That little punk…
 
“It hurts,” Bikky whimpered again and Ryo softly dried his tears.
 
“It's okay Bikky,” he said soothingly. “Come on, let's get in the car. Keep your arm still and that might help, okay?”
 
Bikky nodded and hugged Ryo again.
 
“Will you sit with me?”
 
Rose and Dee both gritted their teeth and glared at Bikky.
 
“Of course,” Ryo said with a smile.
 
Bikky shot Dee and Rose a triumphant grin as Ryo climbed into the backseat with him.
 
 
“I didn't know that we had any safe houses this far outside of New York City, sir,” Ryo said as the car rolled along.
 
Bikky had fallen asleep with his head slumped against Ryo's shoulder and was breathing softly now as they continued to roll along. Dee kept scowling back at the boy and rubbing at his side, angrily plotting revenge as he wished for a cigarette.
 
“Well,” Rose chuckled. “We're not exactly heading for an NYPD owned safe house. It's a beach house that my brother and I bought a few years ago. I filled out the paperwork to reserve the Johnson house downtown, and made sure that everyone knew that was where you were headed. We'll be staking the place out while you're gone.”
 
“So it's your beach house,” Dee said skeptically. “I didn't think commissioners made that much, not if they were clean.”
 
Ryo's mouth thinned and he tried to change the subject.
 
“I didn't know you had a brother sir,” he said.
 
“We had a falling out a few years ago,” Rose said. “He didn't agree with my, ah, proclivities. He died a couple months ago.”
 
“I'm sorry to hear that sir,” Ryo said softly.
 
“Yes,” Rose's eyes flicked to the rearview mirror. “I expect you would feel some sympathy Ryo.”
 
The car was painfully quiet for a moment and then Rose sighed.
 
“I haven't been able to get rid of the beach house yet, but I guess the slow market came in handy for us, didn't it? It's out of season, so things will be largely deserted. I'll be up this weekend to check on you and see how things are going. Try not to destroy the place, I do want to sell it if possible.”
 
“Of course sir,” Ryo said.
 
“I'm not worried about you, Ryo,” Rose said and his eyes slid coolly to Dee.
 
“And what's that supposed to mean?” Dee growled.
 
“That I don't trust you,” Rose answered. “Break my house and I will charge you for it. Got it?”
 
 
“Whoa,” Bikky said as he climbed out of the car.
 
Dee and Ryo both stared up at the sprawling cabin that was perched just above the beach. Long glass windows overlooked the windswept shore and fresh salty air played against their faces. Ryo shivered a little beneath the overcast sky and Dee hooked a warming arm around him.
 
“Cold, Sexy?”
 
Ryo nodded. “I packed my coat up in my bag. I'm freezing!”
 
“Then let's hurry up and move all this stuff inside,” Rose said stiffly. “Once you're out of the wind you should be alright.”
 
They grabbed the bags from the car and rushed into the house, the sea wind bristling up across the beautifully decorated house. Ryo and Dee both admired the comfortable surroundings, though Dee's praise was a bit grudging. Bikky ran off to pick his room and Ryo smiled a little at the excitement in the boy's eyes. Bikky would love having the beach to play on, regardless of the cold and empty surroundings, it was looking like this could still be a fun week for him.
 
“You should be well stocked until this weekend,” Rose said. “If you do need something, call me and only me. I've gone to a lot of trouble to make sure that no one else knows that you're here. Try and keep it a secret.”
 
“Thank you sir,” Ryo said.
 
“Anything for you, Ryo,” Rose answered and then his eyes slid to Dee. “Don't forget Laytner, you have to testify at the end of the week, so try not to get too comfortable.”
 
“I'll do my best,” Dee grinned and slid his arm back around Ryo.
 
Rose's mouth thinned and his eyes flashed darkly. Ryo scowled at Dee and shoved him back.
 
“We'll see you then, sir. Thank you again.”
 
“Of course,” Rose said. “I need to get back to the city. Be safe.”
 
Dee frowned at Ryo as the door clicked shut behind Rose.
 
“Why'd you do that?”
 
“I don't want you using me to make him jealous,” Ryo said angrily. “That's unfair to him and to me.”
 
“Sorry,” Dee said softly. “I just get so sick of how he looks at you, and how he talks to you, and how he always seems like he wants to--”
 
“I know,” Ryo said and lightly kissed Dee's cheek. “Just don't sink to his level.”
 
 
Rose pulled away and circled to a second house overlooking the first. He climbed out of the car and looked back down at the sea. A storm was rolling in and Ryo had been right, it was starting to get cold. Rose smiled sadly and entered the smaller house. Diana glanced up at him from the couch and Drake looked back from his position at one of the windows.
 
“Anything?” Rose asked.
 
“No,” Drake answered. “All quiet.”
 
“Good.”
 
“Berkeley,” Diana said as she closed a magazine. “Are you sure this is enough?”
 
“Your agents are nearby, correct? No one knows they're here and they don't know you're here. They'll be on their guard and you can keep an eye on them too.”
 
“Still,” Diana said softly. “You've seen the connections that MacLean has.”
 
“This will work,” Rose said firmly. “Just don't forget to keep watch. If you can't handle this, tell me now so I can get some people up here who aren't engaged.”
 
Diana's eyes flashed angrily. “Watch it, or I'll break your leg.”
 
“She can do it,” Drake warned.
 
“I'm well aware of that,” Rose said with a chuckle.
 
 
Dee rested his head on Ryo's shoulder and yawned a little as they watched the end of the movie. Bikky had fallen asleep on the floor at their feet, and was snoring softly as the credits began to roll. Ryo turned and kissed the top of Dee's head. Dee sat up and Ryo easily scooped Bikky up and carried him down the hall. Dee yawned again and flipped off the TV and turned off the last of the lights. He stretched as he checked to make sure the doors were locked and headed off to bed.
 
Ryo was buttoning his pajama top as Dee came in and smiled sleepily at his lover. Dee smiled back and headed into their small bathroom to get ready for bed. He brushed his teeth and pulled on his sweats and then turned to follow Ryo to bed.
 
“I almost forgot,” Ryo said suddenly and pulled a stiff piece of cardboard from their bedside.
 
Dee grinned.
 
Ryo got up and Dee flipped the lights back on. Ryo pulled open the curtain and held up the sign.
 
Goodnight Drake and Diana.
 
 
“Son of a bitch,” Diana said with a scowl. “How in the hell did they do that?”
 
 
They fell into a pattern at the beach house after that. Bikky sat and did his homework first thing in the morning (a fact that he argued every day, but Ryo did not give in), then he and Dee played a few video games for a couple of hours. They would have lunch then go down to the beach, Bikky dragging them down regardless of how windy or cold it was. They'd watch him run around through the sand, sometimes playing catch or Dee angrily chasing after him. Then all three would return to the house tired and they'd have some dinner before they watched TV or played some game.
 
It really was like a vacation, but Ryo knew that it wouldn't take too much longer for the novelty of the beach to wear off. Bikky was already reminiscing fondly about New York, and Ryo doubted that the boy would be as chipper after another week outside of the city.
 
The nights were eerily quiet without the sounds of the city, and the crashing of the waves seemed to grow louder in the darkness. Ryo and Dee slept wrapped in each others arms, holding on tightly as the darkness also strengthened the voices of their own fears.
 
“I love you,” Ryo whispered.
 
“I love you too.”