Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act VIII, A Shot of Something Good ❯ A FAKE Birthday ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh, I don't own FAKE and I have included some citrus in these stories. If you don't like yaoi, then don't read this. BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!
 
OKAY, NOW WE'RE SET IN THE FAKE IN LOVE TIME LINE.
 
There was a loud knock at the door and Dee sprang up, a wide smile on his face.
“Pizza's here!” he called as he opened the door.
“Twenty-seven fifty,” a bored kid told him as Dee dug out his wallet.
“Ah shit,” Dee muttered and turned back inside. “Ryo! You got a ten?”
“My wallets on the counter,” Ryo answered, his voice muffled from the bedroom.
Dee snagged the wallet and pulled out a ten and a couple of extra ones to sweeten the kid's tip. He handed the money over and the kid shoved the pizza into his hands, no further words passing between them. Dee scowled as the delivery boy took off back down the hall and he shook his head as he slammed the door shut. He set the pizza down on the counter and started to flip Ryo's wallet closed again. He paused suddenly and peered a little more closely at Ryo's license.
“Jeez perv,” Bikky said as he entered the kitchen and snagged a plate. “Can't you even afford a pizza?”
“Bite me monkey boy,” Dee said as he finally closed Ryo's wallet and dropped it back to the counter. “I don't recall you chipping in for all the food you eat.”
“I take out the trash,” Bikky snapped back.
“Oh of course, however would we survive without you?”
“Yeah, go to hell.”
Bikky filled his plate and headed back towards his room. Ryo passed him on his way into the kitchen, the brown haired man pulling on a thick sweater as he came in. Dee handed him a plate and squinted at Ryo questioningly. Ryo laughed.
“What?”
“Your license says your birthday's next week.”
Ryo froze for an instant and then shrugged as he pulled a couple of pieces of pizza free. Shit. It just goes to show that careful planning could be wrecked by stupid chance. And he had been so damn careful too.
“Yeah, I guess.”
“You know, I always thought that you just celebrated without me, but now I'm starting to think that you were hiding it from me.”
“Why would I hide my birthday from you?” Ryo said as he took a big bite of pizza.
“I don't know,” Dee said. “That's what I'm trying to find out.”
“You're just being paranoid,” Ryo said. “Where's the movie?”
“In the DVD player.”
“Isn't Bikky watching it with us?”
“He says he's seen it before.”
“Alright.”
Ryo headed back out into the living room and sat down on the couch, Dee soon sprawled next to him, one arm wrapped around him. The movie started and Ryo leaned against Dee happily.
“So what do you want?”
“Hmm?” Ryo looked up at Dee.
“For your birthday, what do you want?”
“Nothing. Now would you be quiet, I'm trying to watch this.”
“The movie hasn't even started yet.”
“It's about to.”
 
Dee grinned hungrily as the shower started, a devilish spark in his eyes. He'd wait a few more minutes, then he'd head into the bathroom to keep his sexy wet soap covered Ryo company. He chuckled and began to unbutton his shirt.
The phone rang.
“Son of a bitch, why does this always happen?” he hissed. “Hello?”
“Oh, Dee. It's Elena. Is Ryo there?”
“He's in the shower.”
“Damn,” she said. “What do you guys work tomorrow?”
“The early shift,” Dee hesitated. “Hey, Elena…”
“You're going to ask about his birthday,” she said with a chuckle.
“Yeah. I was just wondering, you know, is it because of…”
“Because of his parents? No. You know Ryo, he'd rather cheer than be cheered and a birthday is all about him. His parents stopped making him celebrate when he was nine. They still had dinner together and gave him a few presents, but they didn't try and do anything too special.”
“When he was nine?” Dee said with shock.
“I know,” Elena said with another chuckle. “And I wouldn't try a surprise party either. They tried that when he turned sixteen. Ryo came in, said hello to everyone and disappeared.”
Damn. Dee frowned. So much for that idea.
“I'm surprised you found out about his birthday,” Elena said.
“It was an accident.”
“I don't suppose he's said anything about what he wants?”
“Nope, not a thing.”
“Figures. Well don't tell him I called. He stops answering the phone when his birthday starts to get close and I have to call earlier and earlier every year just to give him some good wishes. Although with you there, I might actually be able to talk to him on the big day.”
Dee laughed and Elena sighed.
“If you do decide to do something, make sure you plan it out well. He's sneaky.”
Dee roared that time. If there was one thing that Ryo MacLean was not, it was underhanded.
“I'm serious,” Elena said. “Watch him like a hawk.”
“Alright, alright. Thanks Elena. I'll talk to you soon.”
“Bye Dee.”
Dee sighed as he hung up the phone and leaned against the wall. Well now what was he supposed to do?
 
Dee glanced over at Ryo and gently brushed a hand through Ryo's hair. The brown haired detective had fallen asleep on the couch and was peacefully dreaming now, his book resting lightly across his chest. Dee waited a moment longer before he quickly walked through the apartment and entered Bikky's room, the door shutting quietly behind him.
Bikky glanced up from the bed, a scowl on his face as he pulled off his headphones.
“What do you want, perv?”
“Shh,” Dee snapped. “Ryo's asleep on the couch and I don't want to wake him.”
Bikky sighed and shook his head.
“Look, I already have plans for this weekend so you don't need to worry about getting rid of me.”
“No, it's nothing like that. I need your help.”
“With what?”
“Ryo.”
Bikky sat up attentively and the book he had been studying dropped down to the floor.
“What do you need?”
“His birthday is next week.”
Bikky frowned suddenly. In all the time that he had been living with Ryo he had never even heard his guardian mention his birthday. He always threw Bikky a big party and even made a special meal for the dimwit, but never anything for himself. Bikky's eyebrows lowered little as he realized that Ryo always deftly changed the subject when it came up. Ryo's birthday. He sighed and leaned back.
“What do you need me to do?”
Dee grinned.
 
No one mentioned Ryo's birthday for the next few days, a fact which made him acutely nervous.
 
Ryo glanced up at the clock with nervous suspicion, his pencil tapping lightly against the desk. Something was going on, he knew it. He could just sense it. Dee was concentrating uncharacteristically hard on his paperwork and hadn't stopped once for one of his `Ryo breaks' or even to bitch about the paperwork. Ryo sighed. Maybe he should find some office or closet to accidentally lock himself in for the night. The records room had a notoriously bad habit of locking people in, and Dee wouldn't think to look for him there, especially if Ryo mentioned he was heading for the roof. The phone rang and he quickly picked it up.
“Criminal investigations, Detective MacLean here.”
“Ryo! Thank god. Man I need your help.”
“What is it Bikky?”
“I forgot my science project on the table this morning and I need it or I'm going to start losing grades. Can you please bring it to me?”
“Bikky…”
“Please? Pleaaaaaaase?”
Ryo frowned and sighed heavily. Suddenly he perked up; this was a perfect opportunity to ditch Dee.
“Yes, alright. But just this one time.”
“Thanks Ryo,” Bikky said with obvious relief.
Ryo hung up and grabbed his jacket as he stood up.
“I've got to run Bikky's science project over to him.”
“What? What a spoiled brat.”
Ryo chuckled and pulled out his car keys. Dee glanced up from his paperwork and tried to look nonchalant.
“Hey, uh, what time do you think you'll be back here?”
Ryo froze and his eyes narrowed.
“Four,” he said flatly.
“Oh. Okay, that's fine.”
Ryo glared at him suspiciously and then headed out, his eyes flickering back once more as Dee gave him a quick smile. The office door clicked shut and Dee's phone rang.
“Hey Biks,” he said as he answered. “He's on his way now.”
“I can't believe he fell for that,” Bikky said. “When do you think he'll show up at the apartment?”
“Four,” Dee said simply. “He'll figure that we won't look for him in some place so obvious.”
“I can't believe how easy this is,” Bikky laughed.
“Are you really surprised that he trusts us this much?”
 
Ryo sighed and jammed his hands into his pockets as he walked down the hallway towards his apartment. He couldn't shake that weird little guilty cloud that was suddenly following him. Maybe he should have let Dee drag him off to whatever celebration he had in place, he had no doubt that his partner had probably gone to some serious trouble to set things up. He sighed again and fished out his keys. He just didn't want a party, what was so wrong about that?
“You're so weird,” he muttered to himself.
He smiled and unlocked the door another sigh escaping him as he entered. He'd just have to hide out for a while and think of a good cover story for later.
“There you are!”
Ryo froze as Dee came to the door, a wide grin on his face as his hands rested at his hips.
“It's quarter after four Ryo, you said you'd be back by four.”
“What? Wait, you said…”
Ryo's eyes narrowed darkly. He was trapped. He couldn't say anything more without admitting that he had been trying to avoid Dee. Ryo suddenly didn't feel guilty anymore. He scowled and Dee grinned back.
“Hurry up,” Dee said. “Change into your so-called `casual' clothes and let's get going.”
Ryo stared at him, frozen with indecision. Maybe he should bolt. He sighed heavily and headed towards the bedroom.
“I give up,” he grumbled.
Dee chuckled.
“Hurry up Sexy.”
 
The car sped easily along, Dee driving with one hand as he smoked with the other. Ryo became steadily more petulant and sulky as Dee continued to refuse to give him any details. They finally pulled up in front of Carol's apartment and Ryo frowned as the car doors flew open and Carol and Bikky bounded inside. They chattered and laughed with Dee as he pulled back out into traffic, Ryo's frown shifting into confusion.
“Look, look!” Carol yelled happily. “There it is!”
Ryo followed the point of her finger and blinked in surprise. A carnival? Dee was taking them to a carnival?
“Here we are,” Dee said with a grin.
 
Bikky and Carol tugged at Ryo's hands as they pulled him in circles, pointing and exclaiming over the rides and booths. Ryo laughed and Dee disappeared to buy them some tickets.
“They have a haunted house,” Carol said happily and Bikky shivered.
Carol's smile grew evil and she stared down at Bikky.
“What's the matter? Scared?”
“N-no,” Bikky answered and tugged his face into a twisted mask.
“That's not scary at all,” Dee said as he strolled back up.
“And you'd know all about scary looking, wouldn't you?” Bikky said with a grin.
“I guess you don't want these tickets,” Dee said with a sigh.
“What?”
“Say the magic word,” Dee teased.
Bikky scowled at him. He could think of about a hundred magic words he'd like to give Dee.
“Pleaaaaaaaaase?” Carol said as she batted her eyes.
“Never could say no to a pretty girl,” Dee said and handed over the tickets.
Bikky and Carol disappeared into the crowd, promising to meet back up with Dee and Ryo at the food stands in an hour. Ryo smiled and waved at him, Dee's arm hooking around his waist as he pulled Ryo into a loose hold.
“So Sexy, what do you want to do first?”
 
“Winner.”
The exasperated carnie stalked down the length of the mini-shooting range and stared hopelessly at Ryo.
“Come on pal, cut me a break. Can't you go do something else now?” he pleaded.
“Yeah, Ryo,” Dee said with a laugh. “What are you thinking?”
“Bastard,” Ryo snorted and grinned as they stepped back out into the night, the man behind the booth sighing with relief before he launched into his next pitch.
“So what now?”
 
The bumper cars proved to be a poor choice, a fact that wasn't surprising to either of them.
 
“Are you okay?” Ryo said gently as he tried to bite back on a wide grin and failed miserably.
Dee moaned and continued to lean over, his hands clutching tightly at his knees.
“Noooo,” he managed finally.
“Do you think you might--”
“Don't say it,” Dee said as he shook his head. “I don't think I will, just don't say it.”
Ryo choked on some more laughter and ran his hand up and down Dee's back. Despite what the man's driving skills might imply, Dee Laytner was not a roller coaster fan. Dee groaned and shook his head.
“No more roller coasters, okay?”
“Okay,” Ryo answered and massaged his hand down Dee's back as his dark haired partner stood up. “Why don't you pick the next ride?”
Dee perked up immediately.
“I know just the one.”
Ryo felt strangely suspicious again.
 
The blush was amazingly dark as Dee tugged him towards the tunnel of love. Dee was grinning, Ryo's wrist locked in one hand as he handed over their tickets and pulled him into the small cart. The man running the ride barely looked up from the magazine he was boredly reading as he ran through the list of instructions. Dee chuckled, his arm sliding around Ryo's shoulders as the cart jerked forward and then glided into darkness. Ryo blinked quickly and he felt Dee's hand massaging into his shoulder the other sliding up his chest. Ryo smiled slightly. Well, well, well…
He turned and launched himself at Dee, his mouth silencing the surprised cry that tried to escape Dee. His hands raced hungrily over Dee's body, his tongue wrestling and caressing with Dee's as they intertwined together. Dee chuckled and his hands pressed lightly against Ryo's face, framing it in the murky red light.
“I love you Ryo.”
“I love you Dee,” Ryo answered with a brilliant smile.
Dee leaned forward for another kiss, his lips first bruisingly hard, Ryo panting into the kiss as it became softer. Dee took his time, his tongue gentle and curious, caressing across Ryo's as his hands slid down Ryo's body and brushed down his sides. Suddenly, he pulled away and Ryo frowned at him.
“Better straighten your shirt Sexy, we're almost at the end of the ride.”
Ryo blushed again and smoothed his hands over his clothing and through his hair. The doors opened and they climbed out of the ride, Dee's arm wrapping around Ryo's waist and pulling him close.
“You want to ride it again?”
 
Dinner with Dee and Bikky approved to be dinner with Dee and Bikky. They fought over everything, bickering and throwing things as Carol and Ryo sat between them. Ryo sighed heavily and slumped against the table as half the carnival glanced over when Dee pulled Bikky into a headlock.
“Just ignore them,” Carol said with a smile. “Want some of my pretzel?”
“Thanks Carol,” Ryo said and gave her a weak smile.
“I'm going to break your arm off and hit you with it, you diminutive simian shit!”
“That's some pretty big talk you old mouth breathing fart!”
Ryo sighed again.
 
“It's getting late,” Dee said quietly, his arm again around Ryo.
Ryo yawned and nodded and Dee gave him a small smile.
“How about one more ride and then we head home?”
Ryo nodded again and Dee's smile grew.
The Ferris wheel lifted them slowly up into the night sky, the car finally rising above the din and light of the carnival into the pale heights of the sky. They hung suspended above the world, the moon cold and bright upon them. They reached the top and Dee turned to find Ryo waiting for him, a blush touching his cheeks as his eyes slid closed and Dee leaned forward to gently kiss him. The night wind caressed across their faces and they pulled apart slowly, Ryo's head resting lightly on Dee's shoulder.
“Thanks Dee,” Ryo said. “This is just what I wanted.”
Dee smiled and lifted Ryo's chin for another kiss.
“Happy Birthday Ryo.”
 
Yes, yes, this was pure sap. Sue me.