Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XIII, Another Round ❯ Dee's Birthday ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Matoh, no money, boo, so sad. Yaoi here.
SET AFTER DEE AND RYO STARTED DATING FOR REAL.
 
Dee glared at the clock as if his very anger could force it to move forward faster.
It's my birthday, he thought for probably the hundredth time that hour, how in the hell did I end up working?
To be honest, Dee didn't care much about his birthday, it was fun, he enjoyed it, but it wasn't like he counted down the days to it. He scowled irritably, well, not usually. This year Ryo had been extremely secretive and tight lipped about what was going to happen at his usual celebration. It really had Dee on pins and needles.
His eyes slid back to the clock and his mind drifted into the past.
He didn't really know exactly when his birthday was, in reality this day was more of a celebration of Jess Latener finding him in a dark alley. Not really something that most people would want to dwell on. Oh well, it was his day, no one else's.
A smile curled at the edges of his lips. Mother had always done something special for each of the children on their birthday. There was always cake, and a present, and something you had never counted on. One time Jess had taken him to a Yankee's game. He had become a life long fan the moment he stepped into the stadium.
Dee chuckled quietly and the small office seemed even farther away.
He could still all but smell the place. He had been there so many times since, but none had ever had quite the same feel to them. It had been like opening his eyes to some whole other world. Everything had seemed so big and still so…stuck together. It was hard to explain. There was the smell of fresh grass and sweat from the crowd surrounding him, loud yells, a rush of noise and movement when an especially impressive play was made. He had been exhausted, and had fallen asleep on the way back to the orphanage, half-way waking when Jess carried him up the stairs and tucked him into his bed. He had felt warm and safe, and had smiled when the blankets wrapped around him. He could still smell Jess and the ball park all around him.
Dee's eyes cleared and he glanced at the clock again. Dammit, time had barely moved. How in the hell was it fair that his partner had today off but he didn't? What the fuck was that? Dee growled low in his throat and wrenched his eyes back to his paperwork. Ryo was a conniving little bastard, that's what the fuck that was. Not only had the man secretly requested the next two days off, but he had mangled Dee's schedule to force him here for the early shift.
Ryo was going to pay.
The thought brought wonderful ideas to Dee's head and he shook himself a little to push them aside. He sighed and stared at the clock again.
Of course, not all of his birthdays had been sunshine and homeruns. His eyes glazed over again as he tapped his pencil on the desk. After Arnon's death, after Jess's death, sixteen didn't seem all that sweet. He had still been so angry and bitter, and had stormed out of the orphanage when Mother began to sing to him. He had yelled at her to just shut up and leave him alone. Even now he felt a pang of guilt about it.
That was the first time he had ever really gotten drunk.
Dee closed his eyes and the memory washed over him. It was like being swallowed up in pain and red. He had been hurting so bad, and the damn bottle hadn't helped. He hadn't felt better, he just kept remembering that stupid ball game and Jess' stupid last words. They kept ripping into him, and he couldn't escape the reality of his life. He was an orphan, and he was living in a part of the city that would do everything it could to drag him down. He'd have to pull himself up, he could do it, others had. He'd just have to be stronger.
He had been a blubbering mess by the time he got back to the orphanage and had cried all over Mother for over an hour. But she had stayed there, gently holding him, letting him cry and sob into her habit. He fell asleep in her arms, her soft words murmuring over him as her fingers slid through his hair. She hadn't said a word about it the next day, but she also hadn't been particularly gentle with him either. The woman seemed to believe that a runny breakfast followed by some intense chores were the best cures for a man's first hangover. Dee had sworn off alcohol for a full six months after that.
He grinned and leaned back in his chair again. After that he had started taking control of his life, and when his seventeenth birthday rolled around, he wasn't an aimless bum anymore. He was going somewhere, and he damn well knew where. Dee chuckled and glanced up at the clock again.
Dammit.
He was getting ready to rip the thing off the wall and throw it out into traffic.
His pencil tapped on the desk again and his mind slid through his other birthdays. Parties and friends, a few lovers and some that he thought were more than just lovers, quiet nights and crazy lights…
He chuckled again and his eyes closed. He wondered what Ryo was going to get him. Since they had become partners Ryo had always given Dee some small present on his birthday. Usually a home cooked meal all for him, and something else. A watch once, a rare and probably far too expensive bottle of wine the next year, then a massage session with a world renowned masseuse (which Dee had taken as an opportunity to learn more and had ended that particular night with Ryo practically melting into the bed). Of course Sexy had been hiding his own birthday all those years and Dee had only just been given the chance to return some of Ryo's love and kindness.
Ryo's face lit by carnival lights drifted through his mind and Dee smiled a little. He loved Ryo so much, and any chance to see him smile was well worth all the effort. He sighed and looked up at the clock.
Hot damn, finally.
He grabbed his jacket and headed for the door, the intensity in his gaze warning everyone not to even attempt to talk to him. He practically flew out the door and then stopped dead in his tracks.
Ryo was waiting at the door of a long dark limousine, a tuxedo hanging wonderfully smooth around his lithe frame.
“Hey,” Ryo said with one of his small smiles. “Need a lift?”
Dee grinned and climbed into the car after Ryo, the driver quickly rolling up the partition after speaking with Ryo for a moment. Dee glanced around, the grin still there as he toyed with the buttons and fiddled with everything he could get his hands on. Ryo chuckled quietly and then his fingers brushed across Dee's chin and turned him to face Ryo.
“Happy Birthday,” Ryo said softly and leaned in for a slow long kiss that completely made Dee forget about the novelty of riding in a limo again.
“Thanks,” Dee said, a little breathless when they finally parted. “I get the feeling that I'm a little underdressed though.”
“Why do you think the driver rolled up the partition?” Ryo said as he unzipped a suit bag, exposing another tuxedo.
Dee reached for it, but suddenly Ryo was in his arms, carefully unbuttoning his shirt and pushing off his jacket. He nibbled at Dee's skin as he worked and Dee smiled as Ryo pulled off his gun holster and carefully laid it aside.
“You've already worked hard enough on your birthday,” Ryo said as he licked across Dee's neck. “Let me.”
Dee could feel the blush in Ryo's words, but he knew that it was mostly just reflex for Ryo now. But damn if he still didn't find it wonderfully sexy. He closed his eyes and let Ryo carefully undress him. More soft blissful kisses followed, and Ryo was tying Dee's bowtie far sooner than Dee would have liked. Ryo remained close, lightly caressing and kissing, distracting Dee from asking where they were going or how Ryo had managed all of this. At last the limo rolled to a halt and Ryo kissed Dee once more.
“We're here.”
“Do I need to close my eyes?”
“No,” Ryo said with a small chuckle. “I don't think it would do any good anyway.”
They climbed out of the limo and Dee's jaw dropped.
“How did you…”
Ryo smiled and grabbed Dee's hand.
“Come on.”
The smell of fresh cut grass and thousands and thousands of fans from the past slid up into his nose as they entered, walking out onto that hallowed field. The lights were blazing, and Dee squinted as he stared up at the stands. He suddenly felt small. How did the pros do this? His feet led him on without his even realizing it, and he found himself standing on the pitcher's mound, staring up into the stands, up to the very seat that he had sat in next to Jess all those years ago. Then he felt Ryo standing next to him and Dee smiled.
“You amaze me,” he said finally.
“You like it?”
“I love it.”
“I kind of worried that it might…bring up painful memories.”
Dee shook his head. “Only the good times.”
His hand shot out and he pointed, one eye closed as he peered up into the stands.
“We sat right there,” Dee said. “Jess explained all the rules to me and spilled his hotdog into my lap when a fly ball shot back over us. He actually thought he had a chance of catching it.”
Ryo laughed and Dee's hands slid into his pockets.
“I love baseball,” he said quietly. “But I never wanted to be a baseball player. Is that strange?”
“A little.”
“Eh,” Dee said with a quick shrug. “Whatever.”
He looked around and then hooked his arm around Ryo's waist.
“How did you do this?”
Ryo shrugged. “It's not really all that impressive. They're actually doing maintenance tonight, so they agreed to let us come in, so long as we don't touch anything or break anything.”
Dee laughed, the sound actually shaky as he looked around and then closed his eyes. He could imagine it all so vividly, everything coursing through him. Another strange laugh escaped him and he shook his head.
“But why the tux?”
“What else would you wear to a candlelight dinner?” Ryo said simply.
“What?”
But Ryo was already walking away and Dee had to hurry to catch up. Ryo led him down into the Yankee's dugout where a simple blanket was spread over the bench, a couple of flickering candles waiting next to a picnic meal.
“You'd be surprised by what people will let cops get away with,” Ryo said with a chuckle as he sat down, Dee quickly joining him. “Bon appetite Detective Laytner.”
Dee grinned.
The meal passed with quiet conversation that echoed strangely in the small space, falling back on them and wrapping them up in their own warm laughter. Dee knew there were other people there, but he couldn't really believe that, it was like he and Ryo were the only two people on the face of the Earth. The place felt suddenly huge again as they stepped back onto the field, Dee smiling as he kicked one shiny shoe through the base line, his toe now powdery white. Ryo was trailing after him, the remains of their meal packed up and in one hand. Dee turned suddenly, his eyes meeting Ryo's solemnly.
“Can I kiss you on home plate?”
Ryo blushed so darkly and so completely that Dee was certain he was going to say no. But Ryo just nodded slightly and allowed Dee to lead him to the base, Dee's heart suddenly racing as he turned to face Ryo. He smiled, a hesitant nervous smile as one hand lifted to brush some of Ryo's hair back. God he really did feel like a kid again. His hand cradled Ryo's face, held it gently as he leaned forward and brushed his lips against Ryo's. The kiss was slow, soft, and even when Ryo's lips parted Dee slid his tongue hesitantly in. He caressed Ryo's mouth, brushed through it, and he felt his head spinning with joy and love. At last they pulled apart and Ryo smiled a little.
“Happy Birthday,” he said again.
“Thanks.”
“Now,” Ryo said with a light sigh. “I have to take you to Pete's Bar, or the whole precinct will be on my case. You had to be so damn popular, didn't you? I was just going to follow this up with a nice night alone together, but no…”
“Let's skip out on them,” Dee suggested with a wolfish grin as he followed Ryo back over the field. “We can tell them it was my fault.”
He spared one last glance back at the field and smiled again as their footsteps echoed over concrete. God he loved this place.
 
“DEE!”
Dee was swallowed up into happy calls and slapping hands as they entered the bar, the liquor flowing freely and plentifully. He got some ribbing about the tux, but after a few shots he didn't much care anymore. They sang the birthday song at least twelve times, shooting into it whenever someone else arrived from the precinct. Everyone bought him a drink, Berkeley Rose bought him a drink, a coke and vodka in which the bartender basically filled the glass with liquor and threatened it with the coke bottle.
Dee was feeling quite good when Ryo finally poured him back into the limo and climbed in after him. Dee flung his arms around Ryo and pulled him close, nuzzling against his neck as he purred low in his throat. God Ryo smelled so good, so nice and warm and clean.
“I love you,” Dee whispered.
“I love you too,” Ryo answered with a small smile.
“I'm not just saying that because I'm drunk,” Dee said as he looked up, a stubborn glint in his eye.
“I know.”
“Oh.”
Dee burrowed back into Ryo's neck then looked up again.
“You're not just saying it because I'm drunk, are you?”
“No,” Ryo answered with a short laugh.
“Oh.”
Back to Ryo's neck.
“I really love you.”
“I know,” Ryo answered.
Dee's head pulled back and looked up at him.
“I said that already, didn't I?”
“Yes,” Ryo said as he laughed and brushed his fingers through Dee's hair. “You can say it again if you want.”
Dee grinned.
“I love you,” he said dramatically, Ryo laughing softly.
Again, Ryo's neck.
“Thanks Ryo,” Dee whispered, his breath tickling over Ryo's lips as Dee slid up him. “Thanks for all of this. Best birthday ever.”
His eyes flashed as he stole a quick wet kiss before he dove back to, yup you guessed it, Ryo's long pale neck. Damn, he really must have been a vampire at some point in his life.
Dee pressed himself tightly to Ryo and wallowed in the wonderful warmth and heady sexuality that slid all around him. God he loved this, just being wrapped up in Ryo like this. It was enough, it was more than enough, it was more than he deserved…
His thoughts were getting bleary and unfocused as the car pulled to a stop and Ryo practically carried him up to the apartment building. Dee staggered through the lobby and sat down when the elevator jolted up, batting at Ryo's hands when he tried to pull Dee up. They ended up riding back down to the lobby twice before Ryo successfully got Dee back to his feet and moving.
The apartment was quiet and still as they entered, Dee laughing happily as they headed for the bedroom, Ryo bearing most of his weight. Then he was bouncing down onto the bed and Ryo was tugging his clothes off. Dee's eyes closed and he yawned.
Yawned? No wait, he told himself. Don't go to sleep. It's your fucking birthday, wake up!
Ryo smiled as soft snores slid out of Dee, his hair tousled and his cheeks brilliantly red as he fell into drunken slumber. The brown haired detective finished stripping his partner then pulled off his own clothes before climbing in after him. This wasn't exactly how he had planned to end tonight. Oh well, they had tomorrow off too, and who knew what the morning would bring. He curled up close to Dee and smiled as he watched Dee sleep.
“Happy Birthday Dee,” Ryo said softly.
 
Jeez, are you satisfied now? You would not believe the crap I took for giving Ryo a birthday and not writing one for Dee. Good God people, they're fictional characters for cripe's sake…
Oh, I made myself feel bad.