Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: In Another Life (pt. 1) ❯ Chapter 10

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh and I'm not making any money from this. This is yaoi and includes adult situations (lemony goodness). Please be forewarned.
 
Ryo awoke to the feel of warm skin pressed against his, a long smooth body that shifted and leaned into him. He smiled as he stared down at Dee's peaceful face, the dark hair framing a completely contented and beautiful face. He brushed his hand lightly across Dee's chest, the skin warm and soft beneath his fingertips. The smile grew a little and he sighed softly.
His eyes slid to the clock and the smile slowly faded. He was supposed to be at work in an hour, he'd have just enough time to get changed and get to the precinct if he left right away.
 
Dee fumbled towards waking. Part of him screamed against it, he wanted to stay there, in warm pleasant oblivion, just drifting and peaceful. But his mind rebelled and he slowly felt the room coming into focus. The night before drifted through his mind and Dee's eyes clenched shut. When he opened them, he knew he'd be alone.
It would all be just a dream, a single fantasy that had passed and gone. A pained look slid across Dee's face. Or worse, it would be real, but Ryo would have left him. He'd spend the day pacing his apartment and leaving too nonchalant messages on the detective's machine. Then, he'd go to see Ryo, at work or at his place, and he'd find that the detective had quietly left town.
A soft sigh passed over his neck and the arm around his chest tightened slightly.
Dee's eyes shot open to find Ryo still curled up close, the brown haired man's eyes softly closed as he burrowed close to Dee.
“Stop it and sleep,” Ryo murmured softly.
“Stop what?” Dee asked, barely biting back on a yell of happiness.
“Whatever you're thinking about is making you tense, it's uncomfortable,” Ryo said sleepily. “Go back to sleep.”
Dee chuckled and his hand slid up to run through Ryo's hair.
“Don't you have to work today?” he asked reluctantly.
Ryo paused and then sighed again.
“I'd rather stay here.”
 
The next time Dee woke up, it was to the sound of a cell phone shrilly ringing. He felt Ryo groan against his neck and then pull away, irritably fumbling around on the floor until he found his discarded pants. He pulled the phone out and rubbed at his eyes a little before he flipped it open.
“Detective MacLean,” he answered groggily.
Dee watched as Ryo sighed and his head slumped to one side.
“I called in sick,” Ryo said tiredly.
Dee grinned. Liar.
“I am sick,” Ryo said and a little irritation slid into his voice. “What exactly do you want anyway?”
Dee frowned slightly and slowly lit a cigarette. Ryo shook his head.
“No,” Ryo said. “I know he wasn't…Because…because I do, alright?”
Ryo shook his head again.
“No,” the detective snapped. “Goodbye sir.”
Ryo practically threw the phone across the room before he slumped back down into the bed, Dee's arm draping around him.
“Rose?” Dee murmured softly.
“Yes,” Ryo sighed.
“You lied to him,” Dee teased.
“I meant to call in sick,” Ryo said as he shrugged. “I just forgot. You're a bad influence.”
“The very worst,” Dee agreed and kissed Ryo's neck. “What did he want?”
He felt Ryo tense in his hold and Dee pulled back.
“Ryo?”
“He thinks you were involved in a hit last night,” Ryo said finally.
“Well I think I've got a pretty good alibi,” Dee said with a grin.
“It's not funny.”
Dee sighed and his hand began to lightly caress across Ryo's arm again. They were silent a moment and then Ryo closed his eyes.
“Where were you?”
“I think you know,” Dee said with a chuckle.
“No,” Ryo said softly. “Before, when you had to leave. Where'd you go?”
Dee's mouth thinned and he shook his head.
“Don't ask me that,” he said quietly. “Don't ever ask me about things like that.”
“Why? What did you--”
“Ryo, stop it,” Dee snapped.
The warmth and pleasure were gone now, both tense and worried. Dee felt deep terror run through him as his anger boiled up. Dammit, what if Leo was right? He couldn't do this.
Ryo pulled away, his feet pressing to the cold floor as he stared out over the lavishly decorated room. Now what? Now what was he supposed to do? He was a cop, dammit, he couldn't just ignore all that.
“Dee, I don't if I can…”
His eyes closed and he shook his head. Dee stared at his back, the long smooth plain that even now he wanted to caress.
“You knew what I was when this started,” Dee said softly.
“And you knew what I was,” Ryo answered.
“It doesn't matter,” Dee said, a little desperation in his voice.
“You know it does,” Ryo said flatly, his voice dropping as if he were speaking to himself. “You know it does.”
Dee's eyes dropped away and he leaned back against the headboard. Hell yeah he knew it, but God he didn't want it to.
“So where does this leave us?” Dee asked.
“I don't know,” Ryo answered honestly, his voice soft. “You're a criminal Dee, no matter how much I want to ignore it. Someday you're going to get shot or caught, or…”
He shook his head again and Dee's mouth thinned.
“You think I'm happy about you being a cop?” Dee said angrily. “You think that's any safer? You're a cop Ryo. Dammit, everyone I know has been telling me this is a mistake, and maybe they were ri--”
Dee's mouth clamped shut as Ryo stared at him with disbelieving eyes, his mouth limply dropping open. His eyes slid away from Dee and his voice was soft when he spoke again.
“So this was just a mistake?”
“I don't know,” Dee said, angry now, angry with Ryo, angry with himself.
“I see.”
Ryo got to his feet and began to pull on his clothes, Dee shrinking back against the bed now as he toyed with the edge of the blanket. Ryo sighed and paused as he finished buttoning up his shirt, his eyes rising to meet Dee's.
For a moment Dee was certain Ryo was going to say goodbye, but the detective just stared at him for a moment longer, then turned and left.
 
Ryo rolled the pencil back and forth on his desk, his chin resting heavily in his hand. He just wanted to go home and not think for a while. It had become his routine anymore. His day passed as he went through the motions of being a good cop, smiling when he had to, filling in his paperwork, being loud when necessary, cheering up his comrades when things weren't going right. No one knew that he just didn't…
He sighed softly as he thought. Didn't what? Care? He just felt disconnected anymore, like he wasn't a part of all the problems that surrounded him. He couldn't feel anything now, or at least he thought he couldn't. He guessed he should be hurting, he guessed his heart should be aching, but since he had never admitted any feelings that could be broken, there was no reason to mourn. Right? Right.
He spun the pencil a little and then carefully picked it up and tapped it on the desk. He wondered if anyone would notice if he went home early.
“Hey! Ryo!” Drake barreled into the common room and skidded to Ryo's desk. “Chief wants you downstairs, some big to-do! Half the station's down there already! Come on!”
Ryo frowned as he leapt to his feet and followed Drake down.
“What is it?”
“I don't know,” Drake said as he glanced over his shoulder. “Whatever it is, it's big news.”
They burst into the wide entryway and Ryo felt the air knock out of his lungs. His grandfather was standing with Berkeley Rose and Chief Smith. Rose spotted him and waved him over. It was like walking through water.
“Ah Randy,” Franklin MacLean said with a smile. “I'm so glad you're here for the big day.”
“What?” Ryo managed.
At that moment the entrance doors boomed open and officers began to enter, each leading a man handcuffed. Ryo's jaw dropped as he stared at the parade of mob members that walked past, all looking bored or mildly irritated. Leo Grant's eyes passed distantly over him and then narrowed as they locked on Franklin, his head shaking a little as he was led on.
“What's going on?” Ryo said with confusion.
“A…bust,” Franklin said with a laugh, thrilled with himself for using the slang. “We've been carefully arranging this for a long time now. Working with the FBI and your police force. Simply amazing.”
Ryo froze as he saw a familiar dark head bob into view, its owner looking a little tired as he was led into the station. Then Franklin's arm was slung around his shoulder as his grandfather smacked him on the back.
“Good work Randy,” Franklin said happily. “We couldn't have done it without you. Your work proved crucial to this. No one else could have managed it.”
Dee was staring at him as he walked by, Franklin's words loud and bragging. Dee's eyes flashed with hurt as they scraped over Ryo and then he stared blankly ahead. Ryo started to call after him, but he bit the cry back as his hands clenched into fists.
“What are you talking about?” he said finally.
Franklin's hand tightened on his shoulder and he pulled Ryo down to whisper hot words in his ear.
“Your Commissioner has been kind enough to inform me of the role you've played in all this, keeping tabs on a known hit man. That's impressive work, and I'll be sure to see that you get all the rewards that are coming to you.”
“What? I don't--”
“Randy,” Franklin said, his hand tightening almost painfully as his eyes glinted at Ryo. “That's what happened, and that's all that happened.”
 
Berkeley Rose couldn't help but smile a little as he stared at the bored hit man seated across from him. Dee was smoking, his eyes distant and empty as he stared at the empty table that separated them. Rose's smile grew as he threw a file in front of Dee.
“What's this?” Dee asked.
“Open it and see.”
“I didn't bring my reading glasses.”
Rose snorted softly. “This file connects you inexplicably to thirteen murders in the last seven years. You've got no recourse against these charges.”
“Is this the part where you tell me that if I'll just tell you about the organization you'll try and go easy on me?” Dee asked boredly.
“No.”
That got the dark haired man's attention. He looked up and Rose gave him a cold satisfied smile.
“There will be no deal for you. I'm going to watch you burn.”
Dee stared at him and then suddenly smiled and shook his head.
“You just can't stand that he didn't want you.”
Rose's eyes narrowed and he took a deep breath to keep his composure.
“Yes. Let's talk about Detective MacLean,” Rose said. “How much information did he give you?”
Dee shook his head with annoyance.
“He didn't give me anything. Check your files, I'm the one who was giving him information.”
“And what did you get in return?”
Dee gave him a soft smile.
“I got to know that I was doing my civic duty.”
“What did you get in return?”
“Nothing.”
“What did he tell you?”
“What? You keep asking the question until I change my answer?”
“Did he give you warnings?”
“If he did, do you think I'd be sitting here?”
“What did he tell you?” Rose yelled angrily and backhanded Dee hard enough to knock the cigarette from his mouth.
“You can't convict a guilty man so you're trying to pin an innocent one?”
“Shut your mouth,” Rose spat and slapped Dee again, the strike rough enough to cause a curtain of dark hair to fan in front of emerald eyes. “You're going to tell me the truth now.”
A small smirking smile curled at the edges of Dee's mouth.
“The truth is I'm the better man, and you're just pissed that someone else knows it.”
Rose bellowed something without words, his fist slamming hard into Dee's face. The hit man toppled backwards and then got slowly to his feet. Dee stared at him through smoldering eyes, Rose panting heavily now as their gazes locked. The door opened sharply and Ryo looked in, his eyes glinting with barely contained rage.
“Sir?” he bit out. “You're needed outside.”
Rose's eye twitched slightly and his finger pointed roughly at Dee, the hit man still glaring daggers into him.
“I'll be back,” Rose said lowly.
Ryo shut the door behind them as they stood in the observation room, Dee sitting on the other side of the two-way mirror.
“What are you doing?” Ryo asked angrily.
“I'm interviewing a suspect,” Rose said, trying to regain his aloof attitude.
Ryo shook his head angrily.
“That's not what it sounds like to me. And what was that bullshit about connecting him to thirteen murders?”
“It's probably too low of a number,” Rose said. “One way or the other I'm going to nail this bastard.”
“What has gotten into you?” Ryo said. “This isn't--”
“This is how it works,” Rose said. “This is what we do. Or don't the rules apply to your boyfriend?”
Ryo punched him. It was no graceful strike, no fluid motion, no poetic arch. It was a hit of pure unadulterated brute force and it sent Rose staggering backwards into the wall. Ryo stared at him through dark eyes and shook his head.
“Consider that my letter of resignation.”
 
Dee was walking out of the station when he saw the detective. His mouth thinned angrily and he continued towards the long limo waiting at the curb.
“Wait, Dee,” Ryo said, moving towards him.
Dee shook his head and slammed the car door without ever looking back.
Ryo had never felt so cold and empty.
 
Dee sighed heavily as he pushed his hair back out of his eyes and slowly unlocked his apartment door. His jacket was slung over one shoulder and he had one bitch of a headache brewing just behind his eyes. The cops had only been able to hold them for so long, regardless of what Rose said, they had nothing. The shake-up would probably quiet things down in the underworld for a while, but it was a momentary hesitation and nothing more.
Although the fire in Leo's eyes hinted that whoever was behind their brief incarceration would have hell to pay later.
Dee sighed again as he finally managed to get the door unlocked. He didn't want to think about that now. He didn't want to think about the angry glares and the hissed accusations that had passed between the holding cells. He didn't want to think about an arrogant ass of a commissioner. He didn't want to think about how much his jaw stung where the prick had hit him.
Dee sighed again and he closed the door behind him.
And he didn't want to think about dark eyes. He didn't want to think about a soft voice or smooth skin. He didn't want to think about hesitant kisses and warm supple caresses. He didn't want to think about the lashing pain of betrayal.
His eyes closed as he leaned against the door.
What if it was all true, what if Ryo really had just been…
Dee pushed himself away from the door. No, that wasn't true, he knew it wasn't. Even if Ryo hadn't said it, even if he hadn't given Dee any indication, he still knew that the dark eyed detective felt something for him.
“Good evening.”
Dee jerked out of his thoughts as a light was clicked on in his living room, Franklin MacLean staring at him down the barrel of a gun. Dee's eyes slid down to the weapon and he sighed softly.
“What a wonderful way to end a wonderful day.”
MacLean shrugged slightly and smiled. “Please come a little closer.”
“Too old to shoot straight at such long distances?”
MacLean chuckled and gestured with the gun, Dee stepping into the living room.
“It wasn't a set-up was it?” Dee said and then his eyes narrowed. “At least not how the cops think.”
“You're a clever one,” MacLean said. “And a loose end. I think your bloody corpse may be the last little piece I need to prove that I am now in control. I think that Leo relies on you a lot, and I think he's going to be the hardest one to break. I want this message to be clear. And, after all, I can't have you hanging around, graying the lines for poor Randy. He is a MacLean after all.”
“Can't have scandal attached to the family name,” Dee said boredly as he pulled out his cigarettes. “You mind?”
“No,” MacLean said. “Enjoy a last smoke.”
“So he didn't know?”
MacLean's smile took on a secretive edge.
“Maybe.”
“Come on,” Dee said. “A dying man's last request?”
“I thought that's what the cigarette was.”
Dee snorted and MacLean laughed again.
“Alright, alright,” MacLean said. “He had no idea. So now you know, it's a pity that he'll never know that you found out.”
Dee was silent as he continued to smoke, his jacket dropping to the ground as he leaned against one tastefully painted wall. He was calm and still as he stared at MacLean, but inside everything was racing. His heart was scrambling with joy, Ryo hadn't known, Ryo was with him because he wanted to be. His chest was tingling as he felt the first fingers of panic wrap around him and brush over his spine. Terror ripped into him as he realized for the first time that he might not live to see Ryo again.
 
Ryo hesitated outside of Dee's apartment. His nerve was about to fail him. He had managed to get there, but now he didn't know if he could take that last step and open the door. His hand lifted and then dropped back to his side. He took a deep breath and knocked softly.
 
Dee and Franklin MacLean both looked over at the door and the old man's mouth thinned darkly.
“Were you expecting anyone?”
“No,” Dee said.
“Then keep quiet.”
The door clicked open.
“Dee?”
Dee flinched at the sound of Ryo's hesitant voice.
“Are you here?” he called softly.
Dee's eyes burned into MacLean and he felt his hands tremble. His eyes slid to Ryo as the detective stepped inside and stared at his grandfather with confusion.
“Shut the door Randy,” MacLean said quietly.
Ryo blinked but did as he was told, slowly moving into the living room.
“What's going on?”
“You came in at a very inopportune time,” MacLean said. “Over here please.”
Ryo glanced over at Dee as he stepped to the mafia man's side. Dee was furiously trying to think of some way to get Ryo out of this, but he couldn't think of how to save himself. How was he going to save Ryo too?
“Well,” MacLean more sighed than spoke. “Now what to do?”
“You weren't working with the police, were you?” Ryo said softly.
“No, I was more working the police than anything else,” MacLean admitted. “So tell me, Randy, what do I do now?”
“What do you mean?”
“As I see it, we have two options here. One, you walk out that door and keep your mouth shut about ever having been here tonight. I make sure you get your awards and you start actually pulling your weight with your family. Or two, I shoot him, then I shoot you, and it's a horrible tragedy, but you die a hero's death. I suppose either way you're a winner.”
Ryo was staring at him with open disbelief and Dee gritted his teeth.
“You can't be serious,” Ryo said softly.
“I'm afraid I am,” MacLean said and the gun swung back towards Dee.
“No!” Ryo yelled as the gun sounded, his body arching hard as he shoved Dee out of the way.
Ryo's face contorted with pain and his dropped to the floor with a wet gasp. Dee scrambled back to him, clutching the brunette close as Ryo's eyes flickered open. He blinked slowly and one hand rose to brush lightly across Dee's cheek, a bloody smudge trailing across Dee's skin. Dee shook his head.
“No, no,” he whispered. “Come on Ryo.”
“Stubborn bastard,” MacLean said softly and aimed again.
The front door was kicked in at that moment, an angry shout filling the air. Dee hugged Ryo protectively as gunshots filled the air, MacLean firing at the door. Then officers and strange men in suits were flooding the apartment, MacLean disappearing into the bedroom.
“He's on the move! Go, go, go!”
Dee shielded Ryo as best he could, his hands wet and warm and everything in him screaming in terror. He felt a hand rest on his shoulder and he flinched away, his fingers tightening in Ryo's shirt.
“Dee it's alright,” a soft voice said in his ear. “There's an ambulance downstairs. He'll be fine.”
Dee blinked and his head lifted to look up at Drake with open shock.
“He got shot,” Dee murmured.
 
Dee slumped on the bench in the hospital hallway. He cradled his head in his hands as he tried to calm down. He felt numb, and he closed his eyes after they drifted over the flowery stain covering the front of his shirt.
“Cop problems?” a gravelly voice said.
He looked up and Leo stared at him blankly.
“Yeah,” Dee said softly.
Leo's mouth thinned and he glanced up and down the halls.
“The place is crawling with Feds.”
“They haven't found MacLean,” Dee said. “They're worried he'll show up again.”
“That why you're still here?”
Their eyes locked and Dee slumped lower.
“No one will tell me how he is,” Dee murmured.
Silence stretched out and Leo sighed loudly.
“Wait here.”
Leo disappeared and Dee closed his eyes again. He hated hospitals. He just wanted to be with Ryo, why was that so difficult?
“Come on,” Leo said, suddenly appearing next to Dee again.
Dee got to his feet and Leo led him down the hall, pausing at one door to glance back at Dee. Something passed between them and Leo smiled softly.
“I'll see you later,” he said finally.
The room was dark and quiet as Dee entered, a soft beeping pulsing with Ryo's heart. The sound was both comforting and terrifying. He moved slowly through the deep shadows and sat down at Ryo's bedside, all the weakness he had been carrying rushing through him again. He leaned forward to peer down at Ryo's face and then let out a long slow breath.
“Ryo?” he whispered softly.
Dark eyes fluttered open and groggily locked on Dee.
“Dee…”
“How are you feeling?” Dee asked.
“Tired,” Ryo answered and coughed loudly.
Dee grabbed the water sitting by the bed and almost spilled it all over Ryo as he held it out. Ryo drank some slowly and then sunk back into the pillow.
“Alright?” Dee said as his thumb gently brushed over Ryo's shoulder.
Ryo nodded sleepily.
“I'm falling asleep, Dee,” he said.
“That's fine,” Dee said and leaned forward to gently kiss Ryo's forehead. “You just rest.”
Ryo nodded again.
“Will you stay?” he whispered.
Dee felt a rush pass through him and he carefully held Ryo's hand.
“I'll be right here,” Dee answered.
Silence passed between them and Dee smiled.
“You're a good cop Ryo,” Dee said as his gently caressed Ryo's palm. “You really did your duty tonight.”
“Duty had nothing to do with it,” Ryo whispered. “It was for you.”
Dee's eyes widened and his breath caught. Now Ryo let out a long breath.
“Dee…”
And he drifted to sleep with Dee comfortingly near.
 
Ryo awoke to find Dee slumped in the chair next to his bed, his chin resting heavily on his chest. Ryo smiled softly and shifted, a wince passing over his face as a sharp pain rippled through him. Mental note; don't get shot again.
“How are you feeling?”
Ryo jumped a little and then smiled.
“Hello Diana.”
The FBI agent smiled back at him and lightly pecked his forehead before she sat down on the edge of his bed.
“Any word?” Ryo asked quietly.
“We haven't found him,” she said hesitantly.
Ryo sighed.
“We're still looking,” she continued.
“But with his resources,” Ryo said and shook his head. “He could be anywhere.”
“Yes,” she agreed. “Berkeley wants to put you in protective custody.”
“What about Dee?”
Diana bit her lip and Ryo's mouth thinned angrily.
“Then forget it.”
“MacLean'll be after you.”
“Not just me,” Ryo said softly.
Diana paused and then her eyes locked with Ryo's again.
“He has connections,” she said, trying to sound persuasive. “He'll be taken care of.”
“I'm not going without him,” Ryo said stubbornly, his voice still soft.
“What brought this on?” Diana said with a frown and then suddenly her eyes widened. “Oh my God! You did it with him.”
“Keep your voice down,” Ryo hissed, his face flaming red. “What are you, in eleventh grade?”
“Coming from you Sandra Dee, that's a real insult,” Diana said with a wry smile. “I'll talk to Berkeley and I'll see what I can do, alright?”
“Thanks Diana.”
“Get some rest.”
Dee shifted as the door clicked shut and then sat up, his eyes groggily opening as he looked around the room. His gaze finally locked on Ryo and he frowned.
“What time is it?”
“A little after ten,” Ryo said.
Dee nodded and rubbed at his eyes.
“How are you feeling?”
Ryo smiled. “Alright.”
“The doctor been in yet?”
“About an hour ago.”
“And you didn't wake me up?”
“You looked tired.”
“Well what did he say?” Dee grumbled.
“He says I got shot,” Ryo said. “And I should try not to do that anymore.”
Dee shot him an annoyed glance and Ryo smiled again, one hand held out. Dee quickly took it and scooted closer to the bed, Ryo's hand trapped between his.
“I'm fine,” Ryo said quietly. “A little sore, but I'll heal. I promise.”
Dee's eyes lifted to meet Ryo's and he leaned forward for a soft kiss. He pulled back slowly and rested his forehead against Ryo's.
“And how are we?” Dee asked quietly.
Ryo stared into his eyes and Dee's breath caressed over his face.
“Before, were you really…sure? Was that really what you wanted? It wasn't just some spontaneous regrettable thing…”
Surprise flashed through Ryo's eyes and Dee flushed slightly as he dropped back into his seat, Ryo's hand still held in one of his.
“I just mean…I know…it was your first time and you were hurting, and I don't want, I mean, I didn't want to take advantage of that. I love you Ryo, I really love you.”
The flush darkened and his free hand scratched absently at the back of his head.
“Never mind, forget it.”
“I love you too,” Ryo said softly and Dee's eyes snapped back to Ryo's. “It wasn't spontaneous and it wasn't regrettable, and I really love you, more than anything.”
They stared at each other as Dee tried to remember how to breathe and then Ryo gave him a shy warm smile.
“Would you kiss me now?”
Dee smiled back and leaned forward.
“Of course,” he whispered across soft lips.
The kiss was slow and soft and Ryo smiled again as they pulled apart.
“Will you wait for me?” Ryo asked quietly.
“I've waited this long,” Dee said. “What's a little longer?”