Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ Enemies and Agony ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Of Enemies and Agony
 
Dee hated being helpless, he hated not being in the emergency room not holding Ryo's hand as the doctor's poked and prodded at him and then having to watch as they wheeled his unconscious partner into surgery to repair the damage the shank had caused to a major artery. It wasn't a surprise that Ryo had collapsed suddenly as the blood came out quick and heavy.
 
“He's a fighter, that's for sure.” Said an emergency room attendant as they wheeled Ryo out into the hall towards the elevator. “It's a wonder he even made it to the hospital with even a slow heart rhythm.”
 
That comment, even though it turned Dee's blood cold, gave him faith. He couldn't help but smile a little. His Ryo was definitely a fighter. He knew that the man wasn't going to give up and go to God so quickly. Dee knew that as scared as he was, that he couldn't lose it. He had to be there for Ryo.
 
He looked down at the motionless figure on the stretcher and took his hand as the doctors waited for the elevator.
 
“I'm here baby. You're going into surgery for a little bit and then when you wake up, I'll be right here beside you.” He said stroking the honey locks with his other hand. He then placed a kiss on the side of Ryo's mouth and then on his hand. Dee closed his eyes and took in Ryo's scent. Even with the smell of antiseptic and gauze, Dee could still make out the sweet scent that was his Ryo.
 
Suddenly the elevator pinged and its doors slid open. The doctors and nurses wheeled the stretcher inside as Dee let go of Ryo's hand.
 
“I love you Ryo Maclean!” He yelled tearfully. “Keep fighting!”
 
The doors then snapped shut leaving the teary eyed detective with his thoughts. He knew he should call Bikky and was just about to do that as he waited for the elevator to come back down to take him to the surgery waiting room. He was just about to get on the elevator when his shoulder was tapped harshly and he turned to meet searing blue angry eyes.
 
“What's happening?” The blonde haired man asked sternly.
 
Dee stared him straight in the eyes.
 
“They are taking him up to surgery now Commisioner. He's lost a lot of blood and they need to repair the arterial damage. How the hell did we bypass this!?”
 
Commissioner Berkeley Rose shook his head angrily as he answered Dee's question.
 
“Detective Parker said that the son of a bitch had hidden the shank inside of his jeans. It was thin enough that Ryo couldn't feel it. Just as Ryo was about to cuff his other hand, the perp elbowed Ryo, grabbed the shank, and struck.”
 
Dee shook his head as Rose looked at him angrily.
 
“Every fiber of my being wants to blame you for this.” He said honestly. “But I know it's not your fault.”
 
Dee glared.
 
“Gee thanks Rose, I feel so much better.”
 
“You're supposed to protect your partner!” The Comissioner said angrily.
 
“You think I don't know that!” Dee yelled. “You think that I am not torn up about this! He's my partner, fuck he's more than my partner!”
 
“Maybe that was the mistake in the first place.” Berkeley said coldly.
 
Dee didn't answer nor cared. He knew that Berkeley was just using that as a way to get his goad, even though it was working. Rose's comment was more out of pure jealousy than anything. Berkeley was in love with Ryo just as deeply as Dee was since they day he met the two vacationing detectives in England. Even followed them to NY where he became Commissioner of their precinct. But when Dee had won Ryo's heart, as much as Berkeley tried to move on, he couldn't get Ryo off of his mind. Better judgment, and a good slug from Ryo kept Berkeley from interfering…much…with the two lovers…but it still hurt inside knowing that the fair haired detective would rather fornicate with a lazy bum of a detective rather than be with him.
 
“He's gonna be okay!” Dee said as he finally got on the elevator. “I have to call his son, why don't you do something useful besides blaming me because you can't get into Ryo's pants and bring Bikky up here when he arrives?”
 
Berkeley sighed.
 
“Fine.” He said turning around to head towards the lobby. “You just better hope your partner will pull through.”
 
“He will!” Dee yelled as the doors closed. Once enclosed Dee put his back to the wall and covered his face with his hands.
 
“He will.” Dee repeated. “I know he will.”
 
 
Two agonizing hours later, Dee and now Bikky were sitting in the waiting room of the surgery ward. Bikky had arrived shortly after Dee had phoned; sending a squad car to pick him up from his friend Carol's where he was spending the night. Rose brought the angry, nervous boy to Dee then turned on his heel saying he was going back to the station to wrap up the loose ends of the case, but demanded Dee phone as soon as he knew Ryo's progress.
 
Bikky meanwhile lashed out at Dee and called him every bad name in the book, which wasn't too uncommon because he and Dee often resulted to that anyway. But upon seeing the tears in Bikky's eyes as he tried to punch Dee, the detective pulled the struggling boy in a tight embrace.
 
“Come on Bikky.” Dee said as he held the twelve year old. “It's gonna be okay, Ryo's strong.”
 
Bikky didn't say anything as more tears spilled onto Dee's shirt. The poor boy had already lost his biological father to a botched drug deal. At the tender age of ten the boy had to identify his father's dead, bullet ridden body. That's when Ryo came into the picture. Ryo originally was there to question Bikky about why his father was killed, but in the end it had become more to Bikky then just an interrogation. Ryo let Bikky cry in his arms as he sweetly comforted him, making all the pain disappear. Then when he thought life was going to go further down the shit hole, Ryo turns around and offers to take him in, provide him with education, food, shelter, and most of all, stability and love that the boy never imagined existed. In other words, he was part of a family. Dee knew this and it tore him up even more.
 
“I don't want to lose him Dee!” Bikky cried.
 
“We won't.” Dee said trying to reassure himself as well as Bikky.
 
Eventually Dee released Bikky from his arms and the two sat down in an uncomfortable silence watching the minutes tick by slowly. Eventually Bikky found himself dozing off. The emotion had really taken its toll on the boy and as the minutes became hours, he was really starting to wear down. He spread out on the chairs and closed his eyes. Dee peeked over and saw the curled up boy and wrapped Bikky's jacket around him as a blanket to keep him warm.
 
`Pfft, when the brat is asleep, he isn't so bad.' Dee thought as he lay down for a moment himself. However, unlike Bikky, sleep was impossible as he kept seeing Ryo, pale and bleeding in his arms. Dee sat back up and ran his hands through his hair.
 
“God Ryo, this is my fault!” He murmured angrily. “
 
Another two hours passed as dawn arrived. Just as Dee began nodding off, a worn looking surgeon came into the waiting room.
 
“Detective Laytner?” He said tapping Dee lightly. Dee opened his eyes and when he saw the scrubs immediately sat up. He shook Bikky awake and the two stared at the surgeon with worried eyes.
 
“I'm Doctor Benjamin Madison, Detective Maclean's surgeon.”
 
“Is he gonna be okay doc?!” Bikky asked worriedly.
 
The doctor sighed aand Dee held his breath.
 
“Mr. Maclean suffered a good amount of blood loss as a result of the stab wound. Your attacker may have been easily caught, but he was no amateur as he knew that stabbing your partner in the thigh would cut into the femoral artery causing the massive blood loss in so short a time. When we got Mr. Maclean on the table, we had a couple of scares there because there was so much blood that needed to be suctioned in order to properly see the damage done. But we were able to repair the artery as best we could and finally get the bleeding finally under control. I don't know how much longer he could have held out if he had bled out anymore.”
 
“So what does all this mean?” Dee asked.
 
The doctor gave a small smile.
 
“It means that your partner is right now out of surgery and has been taken into recovery. He's out of it right now, but the anaesthetic should wear off by the afternoon.”
 
“Thank God.” Dee breathed a sigh of relief, but stopped short when he saw that the doctor had not finished.
 
Dee looked at him.
 
“There's more, isn't there?” Dee asked.
 
“Yes unfortunately.” Dr. Madison said. “Right now, he is not out of the woods yet. He may be in recovery, but he is very weak. Like I said before, the blood loss was grave and since it was a cut to a major artery that's connected to the foot, there is the possibility that he may not be able to walk on it. While we were lucky to have a vascular surgeon on hand to make sure there was no severe damage, we cannot say for sure if he still has feeling in that leg. We weren't really able to get a good test on that because it was more important we had him rushed into surgery.”
 
“So you're saying Ryo might not walk again?” Bikky said shakily.
 
Dr. Madison narrowed his eyes.
 
“Well…he answered…on his right leg, he may not.”
 
He then turned to Dee.
 
“The next twenty four to forty eight hours are going to be critical.” Dr. Madison said. “Today's top priority will be that he gets enough rest and regains his strength. We have Mr. Maclean on an IV as we speak and will be carefully monitoring his progress. There is always the possibility of setbacks like infections or more bleeding. The day after tomorrow or day after depending on his health we will start him on physical therapy and see how well he can maneuver on that leg.”
 
Dee's stomach knotted. This was agony. Not only was his partner in a grave state, but there was a possibility he may not be able to walk properly again. Ryo loved his job and would never want to be stuck to a desk. Plus Dee could never be out on the field without him.
 
“Oh God Ryo.” Dee said putting his head in his hands.
 
Bikky sniffed.
 
“Can we see him doc?” He said trying to fight off tears.
 
Doctor Madison smiled.
 
“Of course.” He said. “But only for a little while, he needs to rest.”
 
Dr. Madison stood up.
 
“I'll take you to him.”
 
Dee brushed some stray tears from his eyes and followed Bikky and the doctor down the sleek white hall way. The smell of antiseptic and the sight of tired patients made Dee's heart fall even more. Finally they stopped into a lone room. Upon entering they saw a figure lying flat on his back, hooked up to a heart monitor and an oxygen mask. He was covered in a blanket and his leg was elevated slightly.
 
Bikky charged towards the bed while Dee hung in the doorway.
 
“Hi Ryo.” Bikky said sniffling. “It's me Bikky. I hope your feeling better.”
 
The heart monitor beeped a little louder and Bikky jumped back fearing he had hit something. Dr. Benjamin smiled.
 
“It's alright son.” The doctor said. “It means he is responding to your voice so his heart beat is accelerating, like it does when you get excited over something. It's a good thing.”
 
Dee laughed a little.
 
“Ryo's always like that around brats.” He said.
 
Bikky didn't respond as he climbed up onto the bed and cuddled against Ryo's side. The doctor was a little concerned, but watching as how careful Bikky was not to jumble or play with the wires connected to the patient he knew no harm should be done. Plus he could see there was a strong tie between the mulatto boy and the young cop.
 
“I'll be back in a few hours.” Dr. Madison whispered to Dee as he left the room.
 
“Thank you Doctor.” Dee whispered back as the door was closed behind them. He then turned back to the figure in the bed watching as Bikky held on tight to Ryo. The boy was known to be a little hard ass and only would show his softer side to his girlfriend Carol, but in the end he was still just a child with a need for familial love.
 
Dee sniffled and took a chair next to the two lying figures his eyes focused on Ryo. He looked so peaceful even after being injured. It reminded him of when he would wake up in the early morning, just minutes before sunrise. He would look down to see his dear Ryo snuggled up contently against his chest with his fingers resting on Dee's stomach. Dee would smile as he would watch Ryo's chest slowly rise and fall against his side. For Dee it was almost…enchanting. Something he couldn't live without.
 
No…he really could never live without…Ryo.