Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ Time will Tell ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Dee raced to the surgery ward's waiting area where Bikky was standing with Dr. Madison. Carol ran past him and went to Bikky's side
 
“Detective.” The doctor said calmly, a hand on Bikky's shoulder. The boy was anxious and ready to kill Dee because they had to wait for him in order to get the news.
 
“Doctor…how is he?” Dee asked panting.
 
“Please sit down.” The doctor said ushering the three of them to the chairs and then taking one himself. Dee didn't like this, all too well he had seen victims families that he had been interviewing hear the “please sit down” command and then found out their relative had died at the hands of some rotten criminal.
 
Dee held his breath and put an arm around Bikky's shoulder as the doctor began to speak.
 
“Detective Maclean is out of surgery and is still unconscious.” The doctor said. “We were able to save his leg and alleviate most of the infection.”
 
Bikky exhaled hard.
 
“So he's okay then?” He asked nervously.
 
The doctor sighed.
 
“Well, not exactly son.” He said caringly. “Right now, he is still running a very high fever. We are going to be treating him with heavy antibiotics so he is going to be out of it for awhile.”
 
Dee watched him unblinking as he listened.
 
“I can't say for sure if we will have to operate again. If the rest infection cannot go down with medication, then we will have no choice but to amputate as last resort because that is where the bacteria had made its home.”
 
“But is Ryo going to make it doctor?!” Dee yelled suddenly. The doctor and the kids looked at him somewhat shocked.
 
“It's too soon to tell Detective Laytner.” He said. “Right now we are trying to see if Detective Maclean's body can fight off the infection without us having to take drastic measures. We cleaned and sanitized his wound as best we could, re-stitch it, and have him started immediately on the antibiotics. It's going to be a critical time for him right now.”
 
“Ryo will pull through!” Bikky exclaimed with tears in his eyes. “He will, you'll see!”
 
Carol wrapped her arms around him.
 
“What room is Ryo in?” Dee asked.
 
The doctor pursed his lips.
 
“Detective Maclean really needs rest….
 
Dee turned to him angrily.
 
“Don't give me that shit; tell me what room he is in!”
 
The doctor stood up.
 
“This way.” He said and he began to walk down the long sterile hallway. They stopped at Ryo's room. Carol held Bikky's hand tight as they trailed behind Dee who walked in short, nervous strides.
 
They reached Ryo's room and the doctor paused.
 
“Like I said he is still quite feverish.” Dr. Madison said. “I would prefer if you would stay at his side rather than like before because we want to keep him as comfortable as possible. You may touch him though. He is unconscious at the moment, but he could drift in and out. But since you are all close to him, you may stay as long you like except when we need to examine him.”
 
They entered the room and there Ryo lay looking worse then he did 7 hours ago. He was bathed in sweat, IVs and wires all over his arms, still on oxygen, his face ragged and pale.
 
The doctor reached into his pocket.
 
“I am going off my shift now.” He said holding out a business card. “But my beeper is on and I have told the nurses to page me in case of any emergencies. This card also has my home phone number on it in case any of you need me as well.”
 
He stared at the three forlorn faces.
 
“Have faith.” Doctor Madison said. “He's been fighting this since he first arrived. With any luck his fever will break before dawn.”
 
The doctor then left leaving the two kids and the detective with the man who meant the world to them.