Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ So Beautiful ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bikky was the first to approach the bed. He put down Ryo's suitcase in the corner of the room
 
“Hi Ryo.” He said caringly. “Man you look like shit!”
 
“BIKKY!” Carol scolded as she put the gift basket by the suitcase.
 
Bikky smiled through tears.
 
“But it's Ryo.” He said. “Maybe if he doesn't sense I am worried maybe he will wake up!”
 
Dee couldn't help but giggle a little as he approached the other side of the bed.
 
“That sounds like something Ryo would want.”
 
He looked down at his ill lover and took his hand.
 
“Hi baby.” He whispered as he pulled up a chair closer to the bed and sat down. “Not feeling so good huh?”
 
He took the damp honey strands and brushed them outside away from his face. He could faintly hear Ryo breathing through the oxygen mask.
 
“It's okay now.” Dee said. “You rest as much as you need too. Me and the brat aren't going anywhere.”
 
“Me either Ryo!” Carol said determinedly as she moved next to Bikky.
 
Ryo's breathing became shallower and Dee could see the fog inside the mask.
 
“Shhh…baby.” Dee said caressing Ryo's face sensing that Ryo was trying to come out of the anesthetic. “Just sleep. Don't worry, everything is alright.”
 
“Yeah Ryo, we want you to get better!” Bikky said.
 
Ryo started making little moans and he began moving a little feeling the affects of the fever.
 
“D-Dee…” The voice murmured through the mask. “Bikky….where…”
 
Dee tightened his hold on Ryo's hand and moved closer and kissed Ryo's damp face.
 
“Sooo…warm…” Ryo said deliriously.
 
“I know baby.” Dee said and then turned his eyes to Carol. “Carol, take that pitcher on the night stand and fill it with cold water and bring back a towel. Bikky go open that window just a crack.”
 
The two teens did as told and Dee moved the blanket down a little from Ryo's stirring body. He knew that a good sweat might bring the fever down, but he also wanted to make Ryo comfortable.
 
Carol returned with a pitcher overflowing with cold tap water and a washcloth. Dee took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves. He then rolled up the towel and dipped it into the pitcher. After ringing it out, he gently placed it on Ryo's head and dabbed away the sweat on Ryo's brow.
 
“Dee...” Ryo murmured through closed eyes.
 
“Just relax Ryo.” He said. “I'm here, I'll take care of you.”
 
“ME TOO!” Carol and Bikky said in unison.
 
Dee continued to dip the towel in the water and moved it around Ryo's face, arms, and exposed chest. The towel bath helped Ryo settle down finally into a deep sleep under the watchful eyes of his unconventional family who spoke to him with words of tender love and care.
 
*
*
*
Three hours later, Dee was finally able to convince Carol and Bikky to go home. Bikky had school, but he would let the boy stay home one more day provided he would go home and straight to bed, but he knew that Carol's aunt would be expecting her soon. Bikky was persistent, but Dee promised that he would stay the night and take care of Ryo since they all knew Ryo would be none too happy, overwhelmed, but not happy that Ryo spent the night at his bedside. Dee decided to escort the kids home, grab some clothes and toiletries, and head back to the hospital.
 
They got a cab, dropped of Carol, and then Bikky and Dee headed back to the apartment. After making sure, even though they nearly had a screaming argument, that Bikky was in bed, Dee grabbed an overnight bag, threw in some clothes and toiletries, and one more thing. Then he grabbed another cab and headed back to the hospital.
 
When he reached Ryo's room, the detective was with a nurse who was checking his progress. She looked up when she saw Dee come in.
 
“He's still running a fever and a little delirious.” She said. We just got him back to sleep.” Then she looked at the dark haired detective.
 
“You wouldn't happen to be Dee would you?” She asked.
 
“I am.” Dee responded.
 
“Ah, he was mumbling your name.” She said as she exited.
 
Dee looked at Ryo.
 
“You dreaming about me baby?” He said with a smile as he pulled up to Ryo. “Don't worry, the brat is home and in bed so it's just the two of us.”
 
Ryo didn't respond, but Dee was relieved his breathing was even showing that he was in a comfortable sleep. He was still sweaty, but not as much as before. Maybe the fever was going down.
 
“Mmm… so beautiful.” Dee said caressing Ryo's face. “You remind of an angel painting. I guess you're my angel huh? No wonder I fell in love with you the first time I kissed you.”
 
Ryo stirred, but didn't respond. Dee gazed longingly at his love. Even though he was asleep, he looked uneasy as if even through the fever induced fog he was worried about something.
 
Dee eyed the case he had brought and picked it up. He opened the case and pulled out a shining acoustic guitar. He smiled as he began to tune it remembering the first time Ryo had heard him play.
*
*
*
Flashback
 
It was a crappy day for Dee. A fight with Ryo over a something stupid he couldn't remember, the chief yelling at him over…something… topped off with a double homicide of two young children by their crazed stepfather. The weather even agreed with Dee's foul mood as he sat on the top of the daybed watching the rain fall steadily as the day turned to night. He held his old guitar in his hands. Since Ryo wasn't there to take the blues away, he might as well play them. Moments later, a sweet, quiet voice echoed in the room.
 
There's a hole in the world tonight
There's a cloud of fear and sorrow
There's a hole in the world tonight
Don't let there be a hole in the world tomorrow
 
Dee strummed the guitar methodically, just letting all the emotions.
 
They say that anger is just love disappointed
They say that love is just a state of mind
But all this fighting over who is anointed
Oh how can people be so blind
 
He was so enraptured in the song he didn't even hear his front door open.
 
There's a hole in the world tonight
There's a cloud of fear and sorrow
There's a hole in the world tonight
Don't let there be a hole in the world tomorrow
 
The person stood there, amazed at Dee's beautiful voice as it flowed through the room matching the notes of the guitar he was playing.
 
Oh they tell me there's a place over yonder
Cool water running through the burning sand
Until we learn to love one another
We will never reach the promise land
 
There's a hole in the world tonight
There's a cloud of fear and sorrow
There's a hole in the world tonight
 
Dee turned his head.
 
Don't let there be a hole in the world tom…RYO!
 
There his lover stood staring at him with shining eyes. Dee immediately put the guitar down.
 
“No don't!” Ryo said quietly. “Keep playing. You sound so beautiful.”
 
Dee didn't pick the guitar back up, just stared at his lover in the semi darkness.
 
“What are you doing here?” Dee asked as he got up from the window sill.
 
Ryo approached Dee.
 
“I-I came to apologize.” Ryo stammered suddenly overcome by Dee who was wearing nothing but just a pair of jeans.
 
“Oh, that.” Dee said rubbing the back of his head. “Don't worry about it. What did we fight about anyway?”
Ryo laughed as he stared into Dee's eyes.
 
“I told you that you need to stop smoking so much around Bikky.”
 
“Oh yeah.” Dee answered. “And you nagged me so much that I got all pissy and stormed off.”
 
“Yeah, that.” Ryo said cocking an eyebrow.
 
Dee smiled and put his hand on Ryo's face.
 
“I'm sorry too babe, let's just let it ride.”
 
Ryo smiled, relieved and reveled in Dee's touch.
 
“You're a beautiful singer.” Ryo said suddenly.
 
Dee smirked.
 
“Mother made me do a stint in the kids choir after I got caught for shoplifting.” He said. “Then during my rebel stage I wanted to learn how to play guitar, but instead of the electric kind like I wanted, Mother gave me this acoustic and sent me off to professional lessons with a reverend.”
 
“Well they paid off.” Ryo said. “You sounded wonderful.”
 
Dee smiled and took Ryo's hand.
 
“C'mere.” He said and led him over to the couch. “Let me show you how wonderful you are to me.” After Ryo was seated, Dee picked up his guitar and sat back down on the window sill. He smiled at his lover and tuned the guitar and began to play.
 
Whether I'm right or wrong
There's no phrase that hits
Like an ocean needs the sand
Or a dirty old shoe that fits
And if all the world was perfect
I would only ever want to see your scars
You know they can have their universe
We'll be in the dirt designing stars
 
Ryo's smile grew wider as he listened to his lover.
 
And darlin' you know
You make me feel so beautiful
Nowhere else in the world I wanna be
You make me feel so beautiful
Ryo felt tears coming to his eyes as Dee's quiet voice filled his ears, mind, and heart.
 
Whether I'm up or down
There's no crowd to please
I'm like a faith without a clause to believe in it
And if all the world was smiling
I would only ever want to see your frown
You know they can sail away in sunsets
We'll be right here stranded on the ground
Just happy to be found
 
You make me feel so beautiful
Nowhere else in the world I wanna be
You make me feel so beautiful
 
I have lost my illusions
I have drowned in your words
I have left my confusion to a cynical world
I am throwing myself at things I don't understand
Discover enlightenment holding your hand
 
Dee leaned in closer till he was face to face with Ryo.
 
You are
So Beautiful
 
He stopped playing then and held Ryo's tear stained face in his hands.
 
Yeah darlin' you know
That you make me feel so beautiful
 
He didn't sing that last verse, but spoke it as he leaned in and placed a warm kiss on Ryo's lips. A kiss that led soon led to him gently laying Ryo down on the couch and the two of them making passionate love while the rain tapped against the window.
 
And now as Dee sat there holding his guitar in his hands singing that same song to Ryo as he laid there trying to fight the fever, he only hoped that Ryo could hear him.
 
And darlin' you know
You make me feel so beautiful
Nowhere else in the world I wanna be
You make me feel so beautiful…