Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected III ❯ Memorial Day ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected III (The 3rd Trimester)
Chapter 1 - Memorial Day
Word Count: 6948
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read! Cursing, mature themes, graphic insinuations of violent death.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
 
May 29, 2006
Memorial Day
 
 
“Dee, would you just unlock the door already?” Ryo asked, frustrated. This talking to a closed door was getting old. The problem was Ryo would never know when he would say something to set off his very pregnant husband.
 
“No,” came Dee's clipped comment from the other side of the locked door.
 
“C'mon Dee. Rick is going to be here in less than an hour to pick us up,” Ryo cajoled.
 
“I'm not going,” Dee sniffed.
 
“Oh yes, you are. Don't be silly.” Immediately after the words came out of his mouth, Ryo realized he was going to regret it.
 
“So I'm fat and silly now, huh?” Dee snapped. “Fuck it. You go and have fun at Elena's and Rick. Tell the family I'd have love to be there, but apparently I'm too fat and silly.”
 
Ryo sighed, slowly counting to ten under his breath. “Dee, I did not call you fat.”
 
“Yes you did.”
 
“Did not.”
 
“You did.”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes. Amazing how having one of them pregnant could reduce the two men into arguing like 4 year olds. “I did not call you fat. I just said that you might want to watch the cookies with breakfast.”
 
“'Cause you think I'm fat!”
 
“Because there's going to be plenty of food at Elena's,” Ryo tried to reason.
 
“It didn't sound like that. You also mentioned putting on weight.”
 
“You're pregnant, Dee, for goodness sake. Of course you're putting on weight. But I meant all those cookies and sweet stuff can't be good for Koko. Last night, you were up for 3 hours while the chibi ran circles because of that sugar you had. Which is not good for chibis.”
 
Ryo heard a sigh come from the other side of the door. “I'm still not going. God, you're right. I look like a fuckin' whale.”
 
Ryo banged his head against the wooden door. “Dee, sweetheart, you're seven and a half months pregnant, with a healthy growing little girl. Sorry to tell you, but that makes you big. But you aren't fat.”
 
“I'm still not going.”
 
Ryo threw his hands up in the air, barely stifling the scream of frustration. One of these days, once the baby was a little older, Ryo was going to start looking into treatments, if only for Dee to have to be on this side of things. Ryo vowed that for the 100th time in the last month.
 
“Grandma and Grandfather will be disappointed. They're looking forward to seeing you and their great-grandchild,” Ryo said.
 
“I'll call.”
 
“It's not the same. Dee, for heaven's sake. I need to start getting dressed. Let me in.”
 
“There's another bathroom in the apartment.”
 
“My clothes are in there with you.”
 
“Go shower and maybe there might be some clothes waiting for you out there.”
 
Ryo sighed. “Fine.” With a heavy sigh, Ryo turned and started for the guest bathroom, hoping that once he was showered, Dee's mood would turn for the better. As he reached the hallway, he stared down at the end. At the door across the hall from the room currently being renovated into a nursery. The door leading to their private bathroom. He had an idea and passed the door to the guest bathroom.
 
He tried to doorknob to their bathroom and grinned when it turned. Quietly, he entered the bathroom. He slipped out of his pajama top, leaving it on a hook, then went across the space to the door leading to their bedroom. Just as quietly, he tested that doorknob to discover Dee had forgotten to lock it. With a snap of his wrist, he flung the door open.
 
Dee, who was standing in front of a mirror in just his boxers, turned, looking surprised. He grabbed a pillow from the bed and threw it at Ryo, then picked up another. “Don't look at me!” he screamed.
 
Ryo caught the pillow and gazed over at Dee, holding onto another pillow, ready to do battle with it. Ryo grinned, his eyes slowly grazing over Dee, from top to bottom. “Why not? Are you going to attack me with that pillow if I do?”
 
Before Dee had a chance to reply, Ryo was on him, hitting Dee with his pillow. Dee hit him back. For the next ten minutes, a pillow fight ensued. Ryo called a truce when Dee started to look a little worn out. Dee dropped to the edge of the bed, catching his breath. His hands were rubbing his swollen belly, feeling as if the baby was cheering on her daddies' pillow fight.
 
“You alright, Dee?” Ryo asked, dropping his pillow onto the bed and running his fingers through his husband's hair.
 
“Just winded. That and we have a cheering section.” He rubbed his belly more. “Easy Koko,” he sighed.
 
Ryo smiled as his hand joined Dee's, feeling their daughter kicking. Even now, Ryo still marveled that it was his child, that he created with Dee, moving in there. “Dee,” he said softly. “You're not fat.” He leaned to kiss Dee's forehead. “However, you are big with a beautiful baby and that's nothing to be ashamed of.” When Dee looked up at him, he added, “And don't you ever think I don't want to look at you like this. Because I do. I find you extremely sexy.” Both his hands roamed across the expanse of the baby belly. “I find it a turn-on to know you're carrying our daughter in here.”
 
Dee hung his head. “I'm sorry,” he mumbled. “I was being an idiot.”
 
Ryo smiled affectionately. Dee's moods were maddening, but he could not stay mad at Dee. Especially after seeing how contrite the other man would get. He leaned over to press his lips against Dee. “Don't be,” he assured Dee. “The moods will happen, but we'll get through them.” His grin grew. “Besides, we have only eight more weeks to survive.”
 
He felt Dee's smile against his mouth, and the warm moist lips opened as Dee licked Ryo's lips. “Yeah,” he sighed.
 
Ryo's tongue met Dee's as they kissed. Whatever of Dee's mood that hung on after the pillow fight started to melt away as the kiss deepened. Ryo pulled away to take a deep breath, dark eyes staring down at Dee hungrily. He traced Dee's face with a finger. “You're beautiful, Dee,” he softly intoned. “Don't ever think you're unattractive because you're pregnant.”
 
Dee found himself smiling up at Ryo, seeing so much love in the dark eyes.
 
“Don't ever think I don't want to touch you,” Ryo continued. “That's far from the truth. If you think I feel it's duty every time we make love, then think again. In fact, there are times I can't wait until you're in the mood.”
 
“Oh yeah?” Dee asked breathless.
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah.” He bent down again to kiss Dee again. His mouth moved to the side of Dee's face, peppering fluttering kisses along Dee's strong jaw on his right side, then did the same on his left.
 
Dee sighed softly, encouraging Ryo to start to kiss along Dee's right shoulder, making the other man sigh softly. He worked his way back across the shoulder, then sucked gently at the junction of Dee's neck and shoulder. Encouraged further by the appreciative groan coming from Dee, Ryo sank his teeth in the spot, causing Dee to gasp. Smiling, Ryo licked the spot, followed by a kiss, before his lips made their way along on Dee's throat.
 
Dee's left shoulder was treated to the same treatment. Dee gasped again when Ryo softly bit him at the junction of his left shoulder and neck.
 
Ryo worked his way down to Dee's still firm, muscular chest. Despite every thing he had read on the subject, Ryo was still expecting some softness or other type of indication that Dee was taking hormones to breastfeed. That had been two months ago, and Ryo noticed no change. Except for Dee's nipples. They had always been sensitive before he got pregnant. Early in their relationship, Ryo had discovered a definite erogenous zone where Ryo could turn events to his favor. After getting pregnant, Dee's nipples became more sensitive. Since he started the hormone treatment, they were so ultra sensitive that Dee could not wear certain materials for shirts unless he wore a very soft cotton undershirt as a buffer.
 
He worked his mouth along Dee's chest, making the other man moan. He smirked when Dee cried out as his tongue dragged a circle around the dusky dark rose of Dee's left nipple, then again when his tongue across the nub. He did the same on the right side. Ryo was aware of their time limit. As much as he wanted to drag things out slowly, make Dee cry out and beg, it would have to wait for later. He left Dee's chest and left a trail of kisses going down to Dee's swollen bump. The baby was moving less now. Dee said that when they fooled around, it calmed her. After they made love, their daughter would apparently go to sleep in her womb. At one point, Ryo softly said, “Hello my sweet little Koko-nut. Are you going to be a good baby for Daddy today?” He felt Dee's fingers go through his hair, almost making Ryo purr in contentment.
 
“I love you, Ryo,” Dee stated.
 
Ryo looked up at Dee. “I don't think I can wait until late tonight, or maybe tomorrow.”
 
Dee grinned down. “Yup. Me too. And since it's all your fault, then it's up to you to make sure we're taken care of.”
 
Ryo looked at the time. He stood up, taking Dee's hand and pulling him up slowly, so the other man wouldn't lose his equilibrium. The more advanced Dee's pregnancy was, the more he had to be careful on how fast he got to his feet. Ryo squeezed his hand, knowing when it was fine to pull his husband after him. “Shower, now!” he stated. “Particularly since I didn't get to shower yet.”
 
 
 
Dee and Ryo had been dressed ten minutes, and joined Bikky in the living room. Ryo was taking stock of everything he had on the couch that he intended to take with them for the day. There was a knock on the door.
 
“I'll get it,” Dee said as Ryo went into the kitchen to get the desserts he had made the night before when they got back from their shift. Dee opened the door to find Rick on the other side. He smiled. “We're almost ready, Rick. Come in.”
 
As Rick entered, he held his hand out toward Dee. As the two men shook hands, the older man's eyes went down toward the baby bump. “Looking good there, Dee,” he stated.
 
Dee snorted. Rick rolled his eyes and pointed a finger at Dee. “Watch it, kid, or you'll start sounding like your Aunt Elena.”
 
“Too late. It already started,” Ryo said as he entered the living room, carrying a large insulated bag that he filled with Rubbermaid containers of desserts.
 
Dee frowned at him, and Ryo chuckled. He leaned over to kiss his husband's cheek. “He's cute most of the time.”
 
Dee looked slightly abashed and mumbled. “I'm sorry.”
 
“It's okay, Dee.” Ryo took Dee's hand and held it between his two. “Like I said before, we'll get through the rest of this together.”
 
Rick had a knowing grin on his face. “Dee took something you said as saying he was fat, didn't he?”
 
Dee covered his face with his free hand. “Sometimes I feel that way,” he muttered.
 
“Nonsense. I already told you that you're beautiful. So stop feeling bad or thinking I don't find you attractive,” Ryo said firmly. He pulled Dee into his arms, holding him as close as the baby protrusion would allow. Grinning, Ryo twisted Dee slightly so he could lean over and kiss Dee. “Are we ready?” he asked.
 
“Yeah,” Dee sighed. “Assuming Bikky is. Did he go back to his room?”
 
“I heard him go through the dining room when I was in the kitchen. Bikky!” Ryo called out. “C'mon. We're leaving now.”
 
A minute later, Bikky ran into the living room, talking on his cell phone. Ryo rolled his eyes and plucked the phone out of his hand. “We'll see you in a few minutes, Carol,” he said. He grinned when he heard Carol's giggle.
 
“See you, Ryo,” she said and hung up.
 
Ryo handed Bikky his phone. “Just remember, bud. You use up your minutes for the month, you deal until the next month. Got it?”
 
Bikky nodded, placing the phone in a pocket of his pants. He knew he'd still get minutes added to his phone if he ran out, only because of Dee. The main reason Bikky was given a cell phone was in case either Dee or Ryo needed to contact him.
 
Ryo shook his head, looking over at his uncle. “I'm sorry about this, Rick.”
 
Rick laughed as he ruffled Bikky's hair. “Don't worry. I suppose I'll have Stefen to deal with soon enough.” He grinned down at Bikky. “Especially since Stefen decided he wants to be Bikky when he gets older.”
 
Dee placed a hand on Rick's shoulder. “I'm sorry, Rick,” he deadpanned.
 
“Hey!” Bikky complained.
 
Ryo and Dee laughed.
 
“Come along, rugrat. Let's get going, especially since we have to pick up Carol on the way,” Dee said, grabbing the bag with the extra change of clothes for the three of them, along with some items Ryo thought they might need. He watched Ryo pick up the bag with the food. As they followed Rick out of the apartment, Dee could not help wondering how many bags they would add for days like this once the baby was there.
 
Dee felt slightly guilty soon after, knowing he had an additional change of clothes more than Ryo and Bikky, just in case he sweated too much while they were outside. In the last month, as the weather started to warm up, his body temperature went up. Since they were going to be around family, Dee planned to spend the day in summer clothes - shorts and tank top, once they got there. Once Dee changed back into the clothes he was wearing, he was certain he would have to change into clean clothes before he left.
 
 
 
Elena turned from greeting Ryo, to Dee. “Sweetness!” She grinned as she hugged Dee, then placed her hands on his belly. “Every time I see you, I get so excited, because it get obvious that soon we'll have a sweet little baby to fuss over.”
 
Dee smiled, looking over to see Ryo and Bikky greet Estelle. “I can't wait,” Dee sighed. “I guess I got to used to the second trimester. `Cause the last few weeks have been murder on me.”
 
Elena laughed. “I remember it. When I was having Stefen, I swore not again. But then we had Dani.”
 
Dee chuckled. “We'd probably have another in a couple, but it's going to be Ryo's turn.” He winked at the older woman. He went over with Elena to greet Ryo's grandmother.
 
“Why Dee,” Estelle exclaimed. “You look positively radiant.” She hugged him warmly, Dee easily hugging her back.
 
“It must be from all the heat inside me,” he remarked.
 
“You look a little flushed,” Estelle stated, reaching up to touch his cheek. “But you're not too hot. We'll make sure you stay cool today. Elena has a nice seat set up in the shade especially for you.”
 
“That sounds heavenly,” Dee sighed. “And you look lovely as always,” he said.
 
Estelle blushed and giggled. “You are such a charmer, Dee.”
 
“Okay boys, you can change in Ryo's old room, Bikky can use Stefen's, and Carol can change in Dani's. I'll have some cold drinks waiting, and then we'll go join everyone else out in the back,” Elena said. “Bikky, Stefen can't wait to see you.”
 
Bikky rolled his eyes, but laughed. “He's a cool kid,” he told Elena with a grin.
 
Bikky, come in my room first so I can give you your clothes,” Ryo instructed as he took the clothing bag from Dee. He put his hand on Dee's lower back and rubbed circles on Dee's lower back, smiling softly when the other man sighed softly.
 
The ride there was not particularly comfortable for Dee. He could not get comfortable in the car seat, even if he sat in the passenger seat in the front where he had better control in adjusting his seat. Dee's back had been giving him trouble over the last few weeks. To add to Dee's woes, while his mass body index went up a little, the percentage told them that Dee could hardly consider himself fat. He would have to lose a little more weight than originally expected, Vince explained to them at the last visit, but primarily Dee was still all muscle and baby belly. Except he looked more like 33 weeks pregnant instead of 29 weeks. Vince suggested Dee start to watch his food intake, and strongly suggested staying away from the sweets and the fattening foods Dee liked to indulge in. Vince feared Dee would continue to grow as the pregnancy went on until Dee was ready to deliver the baby, and if he started to gain additional weight, Vince worried that the last few weeks for Dee will be hell.
 
Inside the room Ryo had called his when he moved in with his aunt and uncle after his parents died, Dee dropped onto the edge of the bed with a relieved sigh. Ryo leaned over to kiss the top of Dee's head before taking their beach clothes out of the bag. He handed a set to Bikky, who was staring at Dee with concern.
 
Dee smiled up at the boy. “I'm fine, Bikky. Just promise me you'll be gentle with Carol when your time comes to be a father.” He shook his finger in Bikky's direction. “In ten years or so,” he added.
 
Bikky shrugged. “Got it. Geez.” He gave Dee a teasing grin as he took his clothes from his other dad.
 
“Elena said the other teens of the family will be having a party on the beach. So once you're dressed and say hello to everyone, you're free to head onto the beach with Carol,” Ryo said to Bikky as he unfolded a billowing long tank top with a grunge design on it. He smiled as he handed it to Dee.
 
“Thanks, Ryo. We'll see you later.” He turned to start out of the room.
 
“Bikky, get back here,” Ryo admonished.
 
Bikky rolled his eyes and went back to Ryo. He hugged the man he called one of his dads. “Thanks, Dad,” he repeated.
 
“Go hug your father, too.”
 
Bikky's hug to Dee was not as tight or long as when he hugged Ryo. Ryo knew it had nothing to do with how Bikky felt about Dee. Dee was in one of those moods that even Ryo would not be able to hold him for very long. When Dee was flashing, as Vince referred to the overheating periods, the additional body heat would only raise the pregnant man's own rising temperature. Bikky knew this and knew when to be careful around Dee.
 
Bikky made Ryo laughed when as the boy started to turn to leave, he ruffled Dee's slightly damp hair. “Later, pervman,” the boy said and bounded out of the room to get changed.
 
Dee shook his head. “That kid. I swear.” He looked up at Ryo, chuckling. “I feel sorry for Elena and Rick if Bikky is Stefen's role model.”
 
“Stefen could do worse,” Ryo said, but his telling smile agreed with Dee. Bikky was a good kid, but he had his ways about him that would drive the two men to distraction. As close as Bikky and Dee were, it did not stop them from the arguing and fighting at times, just as they had always done since they first met. Some of the arguments had changed over time, ever since Bikky accepted that Dee and Ryo were a couple, and in turn, were his parents, It still did not stop Bikky from teasing them sometimes, Ryo included, but both men knew it was not a bad teasing. Bikky had already told them that he did it because he considered himself lucky to have two parents who loved each other and him. Most of the teen's friends did not have that. Occasionally, the teen would revert back to his wayward street ways. Dee had said several times that they should be glad Bikky did not get in as much as Dee had when the older man was their son's age. Ryo nodded in agreement. As a teen, Ryo was a far more behaved boy than Dee or Bikky, but he was a normal teen and found himself in his fair share of trouble while growing up. It went with the territory of being a parent. Both men loved Bikky as if he was their own son. They were excited to be having a child of their combined blood, but as far as their own little family went, they were just adding to it. Their daughter would be treated no different because she was of their blood, and Bikky was her older brother.
 
Dee snorted. “Yeah, he could have known me at Biks' age,” he replied with a wink. He rubbed his swollen stomach. “Listen baby girl, daddy and papa already had their share of grief, so when you get to your brother's age, be a nice girl.”
 
“Nice try,” Ryo commented, trying not to smile.
 
“We can hope,” Dee replied.
 
Ryo watched as Dee pulled off the short sleeved dark purple shirt off, then pulled up the tighter white tank top under. Dee had established what he called his “outside wear” and what he wore around the house. He had enough clothes to get away with it, since Estelle had continued to take Dee shopping or sent money for him to buy more clothes. Dee had enough changes of nicer clothes and options of different styles to wear to work.
 
With the clean shirt on, Dee stood up to remove his black cargo pants to put on the swimming trunks Ryo had placed next to him. “Everyone keeps saying how radiant I look, but I feel like a sweaty pig,” he sighed.
 
“You don't look like one,” Ryo reassured him as he changed his clothes from a polo shirt and jeans into a tank top and swim trunks. “And you are radiant.” He set several folded towels on the bed.
 
Dee was amused. Elena had told them there would be enough towels provided for everyone, since it was not only a holiday family barbeque, but a pool/beach party. Yet Ryo felt that he had to pack their own towels, just in case. Dee also knew that Elena would most probably roll her eyes when she saw Ryo with the towels, and Rick would smirk, but the older couple knew their nephew well enough to expect it.
 
“Are you ready for that cold drink?” Ryo asked, noticing Dee was dressed and staring in the mirror at his reflection.
 
“Cold drink, yes. But not all the hugging from your family. Not now, at least.”
 
Ryo touched Dee's arm lightly. “C'mon, let's get this over with. If you behave, I might suggest we take a dip in the pool after we settle in our seats.”
 
“I love how you think, Ryo Laytner-MacLean,” Dee smiled.
 
 
 
The two men walked onto the deck at the back of Elena and Rick's house hand in hand. When they met Elena downstairs, her reaction to Ryo's towels were just as Dee expected. She offered to bring them outside for Ryo and gave both men tall glasses of iced chamomile tea, while explaining that Bikky and Carol were already making their rounds outside before heading off to join the other teens on the beach.
 
No sooner had they stepped outside, Franklin MacLean came over to them, welcoming them. He took a moment to place a hand on Dee's belly to say hello to the baby during the greetings. When the elder MacLean had stepped back, they found themselves being greeted by the relatives who were invited. There were twenty or so, most of them being of Elena's generation, but a few from Ryo's. Included was one of Ryo's cousins, who just had a baby a month before the Laytner-MacLean wedding. While Dee and Ryo had sent baby gifts, it was the first time they saw the current newest MacLean. Everyone had been doting over the baby until they noticed Dee and Ryo.
 
When Caroline approached the couple, the baby boy in her arms, Ryo smiled and held out his arms. After quickly kissing his cousin on her cheek, he asked, “May I?”
 
“You'll need the practice,” she commented amused as she handed her baby to Ryo. She stood back and smiled as both Ryo and Dee cooed over the baby. Her eyes went to the profile of her cousin's husband. She had lived a somewhat sheltered life when it came to Carriers. Her parents were of the old strict MacLean regime that insisted Carriers were never to be part of the old MacLean blood. Times were changing. She knew that. First Ryo's father had married the half-Japanese woman. Even Rayna's father being Australian did not save him. If nothing else, Australians fell in the category of people to scoff at to the MacLean mentality. Following his father's tradition, Ryo married outside of the MacLean comfort zone, making another man his husband. Their wedding was still talked about among the family as the most beautiful and most fun. The younger MacLeans were going on about it being the most “in” event of the decade. High society pages still touched on the wedding that had been a cover story. Ryo's new husband, while very charming and handsome, sometimes showed his background of growing up in poverty in an orphanage and in the streets of one of the bad neighborhoods of New York City. He had a New York accent that he never lost, even at his most charming. The dark haired man was mysterious to most of the younger MacLean, with his unknown heritage, but in a way that made them look up to him. Should anyone ask Dee of his ethnical background, Dee would shrug and say that he considered himself Irish and Japanese, two cultures he had adopted - Irish, because Mother was Irish and raised him as such, and Japanese, because he fell in love with the culture of the country he had lived in for his college years. Ever since the wedding, he would also include Scottish, because he married into it.
 
Before Ryo broke further rules than his father within the MacLean family, two years before in a very low key ceremony, Caroline had married the love of her life and broke family traditions. Larry was a Welshman of African decent. Between the two of them, the baby boy now in Dee's arms had a café au lait tone, reminding both men of their own son.
 
Dee did not look like he wanted to put the baby down, so Ryo and Caroline guided him toward the seats in the shade, where Dee sat down and further fussed over the baby. Larry came over, returning from assisting with setting up the teenager's beach party and smiled at the pregnant man talking softly to his son.
 
Larry leaned his head down to kiss his wife's forehead. “Maybe now with Dee in the family, I can give you a break when we decide to have another child?” he asked low in her ear.
 
Caroline looked up at her husband in surprise. She had known he was a Carrier, but coming from a traditional family, she did not want to upset her family further. They had agreed on the traditional way of having children, keeping Larry's Carrier status a secret from her family. They never mentioned Larry had nieces and nephews back in Wales born from his older brother. Dee had changed the rules in the MacLean family when most of the previously uptight family had embraced him as one of their own, everyone looking forward to the coming baby.
 
It was obvious in the way he was greeted. The other MacLeans hugged him warmly, gushed on how wonderful he looked, rubbed his growing belly, cooing at it much the same way they had when Caroline was heavy with child. She smiled up at her husband. “We'll talk later,” she said. She patted his arm. “But for now, you're going to be a dear and bring us some nice healthy snacks, while I make myself comfortable and talk to Randy and Dee.”
 
Larry laughed, and after quickly saying hello to the other couple, carried out his wife's requests.
 
Jocelyn, her husband and children were there for the party. So were Eunice and Wilbert, joined by Eunice's parents, who had flown in from Paris on business, planning to stay for a month.
 
After Caroline had gathered her baby son to feed him, some of the other guests made their way over to Ryo and Dee to sit and talk a little. Dee found himself feeling very relaxed as he laughed and joked, or talked about the baby, with the other members of Ryo's family. He knew there were still some older members of the family, referred to by the younger generations as “The Dinosaurs” (and Estelle had been heard using the term at times), who did not accept Dee as one of their fold. Unknown to Dee and Ryo, The Dinosaurs still called Estelle and Franklin, moaning and bitching about the fall of their once fine family. The elder MacLeans ignored them, having further plans of their own in embracing Ryo, Dee, the baby and even Bikky as high standing members in the MacLean family.
 
Eunice introduced her parents to Dee and Ryo. Her parents had sent a wedding gift from overseas, having been unable to make the wedding. The way they laughed easily with the newly married couple told they had no problems with Dee.
 
The day was spent between sitting in the shade and taking dips in the large build-in pool beyond the deck. Everyone was having a great time. Elena and Rick were glad to see their family gathered and enjoying themselves. They found more joy seeing Ryo and Dee part of it. Estelle and Franklin were pleased too, glad to know the future generations of the MacLeans were getting along.
 
“We must have more gatherings like this,” Estelle gushed as she sat down next to her daughter. “This is quite lovely, Elena. And so much fun.”
 
Elena smiled as she watched her mother pour herself another tall glass of lemonade. “Thank you, Mom. I'm glad it all worked out too. It had been forever since we did something as informal as this.”
 
Estelle nodded in agreement as she sipped the cold drink. “I think after the baby is born, Franklin and I must do something like this at our place.”
 
Elena laughed and kissed her mother's cheek. “Except there will be waiters everywhere, serving drinks and food.”
 
Estelle pouted. “We can too hold a party as simple, yet lovely as this.”
 
“Sure, Mom. However, don't let it stop you. I think a get together at the manor just because would be awesome.”
 
Estelle patted Elena's hand. “I think we will. And you, Elena, will help me plan it.” She looked past Elena and started to laugh. “Oh my word, look at your father.” She pointed toward the brick combination gas barbeque and outdoor oven.
 
Elena started to laugh as she watched Franklin help Rick at the barbeque. She grabbed the camera she had on the table. “I must take photos of this!” she squeed in excitement of seeing her father do something so mundane. She could not remember her father ever barbequing before. Growing up, whenever they had barbeques, the outdoor cooking was done by the kitchen staff.
 
When Franklin cheerfully announced, by yelling out, that the food was ready, everyone gathered around the barbeque, holding plates in their hands, adding side dishes to their plates. Instead of sitting around in the chairs and small tables set up around the pool, everyone moved to the two large tables set up beyond the deck, within the garden situated just before the walkway onto the sand. Umbrellas were set up over the tables for shade while the family members ate.
 
Ryo and Dee found themselves sitting next to Elena, Rick, Franklin and Estelle, in the places of honor at their table, with Eunice, Wilbert, Jocelyn and her husband, and Caroline and Larry surrounding them as they ate.
 
Ryo kept checking Dee, as if worried his husband was no longer having a good time, but Dee was leaning on the table, talking animatedly with another cousin, making everyone at the table laugh. Franklin caught Ryo's eyes and winked at him, making Ryo feel even more proud of his husband, and loving his grandfather more.
 
When everyone had gone by early evening, Dee had excused himself to go into Ryo's room for a nap. He looked exhausted, but the grin on his face told despite that and the more uncomfortable aspects of advanced pregnancy, he had a great day. Rick was to drive them back that night, since Bikky and Carol both had to be in school the next morning.
 
When Dee woke up from his nap, Franklin and Estelle had taken their leave, promising the younger couple that they would come into the city one day soon and take them out. Estelle was talking about things for the baby, and Ryo rolled his eyes knowing they would end up buying things for the baby. He accepted the invitation, making his grandmother promise that there would be things on the baby registry for others to buy.
 
They sat on the private part of the beach for a while, before it was time for Rick to drive them home.
 
“So how are things going with the nursery?” Elena asked at one point.
 
“It's coming along,” Ryo replied. “We just finally finished with the rest of the apartment. Even with things in storage, with all the wedding gifts, it was cluttered in there a while. Besides, we couldn't do anything with the baby's room with everything shoved in there.” He grinned at his aunt.
 
“They did another fine job,” Rick stated, having seen some of the apartment when he went to pick them up earlier that day. “I'll bet Bikky is loving that big screen TV.”
 
“When he can get to it,” Ryo laughed. “Dee seems to be enjoying it. Which is good. He can relax on the couch - the new couch - and watch television comfortably.”
 
“That is a very comfortable couch,” Dee agreed. “Sometimes it's more comfortable than the bed,” he said.
 
“I remember that, too,” Elena said. “Only when I was having Dani, we had a beat up couch that Rick wanted to replace so badly, but I refused to let it go until I had completely recovered from having Dani. It was a blessing at times, especially in the last few weeks before giving birth.”
 
“At least they have a nice new couch for Dee to hang onto,” Rick said, trying to sound annoyed, but failing. The others laughed.
 
“We have the room cleaned out now,” Dee explained, “and have a new daybed in there, but that's it.” He shrugged. “I was told we can't buy anything yet. Which makes me nervous.” He stared at Ryo, then Elena. “I remember a time when we had plenty of time, and some ones telling me that it was never too early to start with the nursery before it was too late. Now, it's getting closer and the longer I look at that empty room, the more nervous I get.”
 
“Relax, Dee,” Ryo assured him. “Once we decide on what we want to do with the walls, we'll start on it and get ready for furniture. While we know the general scheme for the nursery, we're still trying to decide on final selections.” Ryo glanced apologetically at his aunt. “We already have a crib, but it's not set to be delivered for a few more weeks.”
 
“Oh?” Elena asked.
 
Ryo knew his aunt had been looking forward to buying the main nursery furniture for them. “The nursery is a relatively small room, and we want to utilize as much space as possible, yet have something tranquil for the baby. Dee noticed a style of crib in a magazine Akemi had when we went to visit Eddy and Akemi a few weeks back. We decided we like most of the style of Japanese cribs. It never occurred to us to check out Japanese magazines until then. So Dee and I went to Book-Off and picked up some, browsing through them. I ended up telling Obasan that our choice of cribs were from companies in Japan. So being that she's Obasan, she made us promise to let her know when we picked something out, and then bought it for us.”
 
Elena smiled. “Well, if it's your Obasan, I can step back. Do you plan for the rest of the furniture to come from Japan?” she asked. “Is that why you don't have anything on the registry?”
 
Dee shook his head. “Actually we do. Just on the baby registry in Japan, for Ryo's family to be able to get us gifts from. We had to decide what we wanted that was Japanese and registered with some help from Emiko in Japan, while everything else went on our registry for the U.S. and Europe.”
 
“Are you going Japanese with design then?” Rick asked.
 
Dee shrugged. “Considering that most families in Japan don't have a room called a nursery, probably not. But it will be Japanese influenced, if that's what you mean. But not Japanese.”
 
“We decided on pine for the furniture,” Ryo explained. “It's not anything fancy, but it's good solid furniture, and considering we're planning on this not being the last baby, we can use it next time. And with pine, we can't go wrong no matter what colors or theme we settle on.”
 
“That's smart of you boys,” Rick commented. “I approve.”
 
“So you're not going for pink?” Elena asked.
 
Dee and Ryo shook their heads. “Nah. We talked about it,” Ryo replied. “And took what Obasan said into consideration. She said that it has to be not only tranquil for the baby, but for us too, especially Dee in the weeks that follow after the baby's birth. Pink wouldn't do for both of us. So we're thinking of neutral colors, but add a little pink in the accessories.”
 
“I wish I thought of that,” Elena said. “Not that I wasn't uncomfortable in a pink room with Dani. But for Stefen, we had so much blue.” She glared at her husband, who laughed.
 
“Well, we'll trust your judgment and take your lead from there,” Rick said. “And don't forget that I'm more than willing to help you out there, be it painting, putting up wallpaper, anything.”
 
“I'll remember that,” Ryo replied, then glared at Dee. “Because I know some people will be attempting to do that stuff with me, even if he shouldn't.”
 
“I could try,” Dee said. “But after fifteen minutes, a half hour tops, I wouldn't be able to do more than lie around and moan in misery.” He winked at Ryo.
 
“And that's the worse of it,” Ryo groaned. “He's such a stubborn bastard at times.”
 
“And you love me for it,” Dee grinned.
 
“I love you despite it,” Ryo quipped, as Elena and Rick laughed.
 
After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Ryo watching Dee snack, thankful that it was healthy, Rick asked, “So have you boy put anymore thought into getting a car?”
 
Both men nodded. “We're looking now,” Ryo replied. “Lately it's been hard for Dee to get around. Rush hour on the subways are horrible, and the bus is worse. So the sooner we get something, the better.”
 
“What are you looking at?” Elena asked.
 
Both men shrugged. “Sedans mostly,” Ryo said. “Having Bikky already, which also means having Carol most times, and then room for a carseat for the baby, we can't go for small and economical unfortunately.”
 
“There are some SUVs that have good mileage,” Rick pointed out.
 
“And we can't find anything used that's still within our budget,” Dee moaned. “We'll have to make do with a sedan. At least we'll be far from the only family with kids packed into a sedan.”
 
Elena drummed her fingers on the arm of her lounge chair, looking thoughtful. “Boys… please. You allowed Obasan to buy the crib, so… let us help you with the car? Please?”
 
“Elena,” Ryo started to protest.
 
“We won't buy it for you, but we'll help make it affordable. Maybe even work out a better loan than you'll get through your bank,” Elena said. “It's for your family. Think about that.”
 
Ryo looked at Dee, who shrugged, then studied his aunt and uncle. “Okay, we'll talk about this later. Dee and I will look around at what's out there that we like, and go from there. How does that sound?”
 
“Wonderful!” Elena exclaimed. “Thank you.”
 
“Shouldn't it be the other way around?” Dee asked, amused.
 
“You hush,” Elena warned Dee, shaking a finger in his direction.
 
“Yes, ma'am,” Dee replied meekly, and picked up another cracker to scoop up some spinach dip.