Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected III ❯ A New Life ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected III
Chapter 2 - A New Life
Word Count: 7056
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read! Cursing, mature themes, graphic insinuations of violent death.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
Notes: I was having a little trouble finishing this chapter. But it all came together this weekend. Um, Torchwood fans, forgive me for finally giving Dana's husband a name. But it did help me finally get this chapter up to par in terms of size. Enjoy!
 
# # # # #
 
May 31, 2006
 
“Good morning, Ryo. Where's your husband?” JJ asked as Ryo walked into the squad room.
 
“He got nabbed by Dana. A call came in, a domestic. They went out to speak to the victim,” Ryo replied. He looked around the squad room. He knew Ted and Marty were already out, assisting with another case. “Where's Andy?”
 
“Running late. You're on your own for a while,” Drake replied with a smirk.
 
Though he tried not to show it, the relief coming from Ryo was still obvious. JJ started to laugh. “What's the matter, Ryo? Partner driving you crazy?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “And yet, he's loosening up some. Geez. Well, anyway, I might as well make the best of what time I have. By the way, today is Dee's short day.”
 
“Yup. I remember. We won't keep him over. Promise,” JJ replied.
 
Ryo leaned against the desk, studying the two men. Taking advantage of it being just the three of them, he asked, “How's it going with you two? Did you have a good holiday?”
 
JJ nodded, smiling. “We had a picnic in the park. It was very nice, thank you.”
 
Ryo raised his eyebrows. “Just a picnic?”
 
Drake started to blush. “Ryo! Please.”
 
Ryo grinned. Pointing to the embarrassed blond detective, Ryo laughed. “That's answer enough. Well, good on you, Drake.”
 
JJ gave Ryo a small smile. “Well, it is nice. We still have a long way to go until we get to being as open as you and Dee, but I'm not complaining.”
 
“We're still hush hush about this,” Drake reminded Ryo.
 
“Of course. I'm happy for you two. Now, who's getting breakfast this morning?”
 
“Diana is coming by this morning with some files, so she offered to bring breakfast with her,” Drake said. He rolled his eyes. “And hopefully she doesn't bring anymore listings for houses for us to look at.”
 
Ryo snorted. “She has the money, she can be picky about buying the house of her dreams.”
 
“The only problem I have with helping her is that I end up wanting to buy one of them… or three,” JJ commented.
 
Drake pointed a finger at JJ. “Now watch it. I'm not ready to start looking at houses.” He smirked as JJ laughed.
 
Ryo smiled at his friends.
 
“What about you, Ryo?” JJ asked. “Do you see yourself buying one of them for your family? I'm sure you can afford one.”
 
Ryo shrugged. “One day I might be able to. Yes, it seems we have both my family and Dee's wanting to help out so we can make ends meet, but I'm not looking forward to my fortune.” He frowned as sadness reflected in his eyes. “'Cause that would mean I'd have lost my grandparents. I just got them back in my life, and I don't want to think about losing them.”
 
JJ looked abashed. “I'm sorry, Ryo. I didn't mean to….”
 
“I know, JJ,” Ryo assured him. “Besides, I love our apartment. And we have enough room, so no need to start looking for something bigger.”
 
“For now,” Drake pointed out. “Rumor has it that you and Dee are looking forward to another in a few years. Then what?”
 
“I don't know. We didn't talk about more than my wanting to have a baby in a few years. If I can. If I succeed, I guess we can put the two little ones in the same room. By the time this one gets old enough to be wanting her own room, Bikky will probably be out on his own by then. But I don't want to think about that right now either. He's growing up too fast for my own liking as is.” Ryo smirked. “But I don't mind helping Diana.”
 
The door to the squad room opened with a bang and Commissioner Rose stalked in.
 
“Um, good morning, sir?” Drake asked their seething boss.
 
“What's wrong, Commissioner?” Ryo asked.
 
“I can't believe it could take so long for an arraignment,” Rose spat out. “Taylor McFadden's arraignment case has been postponed for another two weeks.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “As long as she's not out on bail. She's still cooling in a the city jail. I just don't want to see that bitch out on the streets again. Ever. `Cause if I ever do… well, let's hope I don't.”
 
Heads around the room nodded in agreement. “Drake, JJ, they'll be wanting you on the stand for testimony again. Ryo, they might call in Dee, as a representative to speak about the fear Carriers went through during the time. The reason I got was if it shook a seasoned detective, then imagine how the average citizen felt.”
 
“Dee would do it,” Ryo said. “Not that we'd like it. But I know he will. And I'll be there as his support.”
 
“Good. I'll ask Dee just to get his official okay, but I did want to get your thoughts first. I'll tell the DA that it's very possible Dee will be there. Do you know when he's expected back?”
 
“Most likely before lunch,” Ryo replied. “He left with Dana to talk to a victim of a Carrier related Domestic.”
 
“Tell him to come to my office when he's back please?”
 
“Of course, sir.”
 
“Well, I'll be leaving you gentlemen to your jobs then,” Rose stated and left the office, looking slightly calmer than when he entered.
 
Ryo inhaled as JJ came over to him. Placing a comforting hand on Ryo's arm, he said, “We'll be there to support both Dee and you, Ryo.” JJ gave Ryo a gentle smile.
 
“Thanks,” Ryo replied, smiling back. “I appreciate it.” He patted JJ's hand. “Well, I better see what's on my desk to for today.”
 
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
 
Dee leaned against the windowsill in the living room of the small apartment in the Middle Village section of Queens. The window was open, allowing for the little breeze to come through. No one else seemed to notice that it was unusually hot in there. Even in the short sleeve soft cotton shirt he wore that day, he felt warm. His eyes went to the young man Dana was speaking to, knowing that he'd be feeling the heat in a few more weeks.
 
Two days ago, Tommy Sabrano was told he was six weeks pregnant. It was a surprise to him, learning at the same time that he was a Carrier. Dee could empathize with the young man. Like Dee, at first Tommy was confused, angry, and eventually scared. Being in a long term relationship and having discussed marriage and adopting children in the future with his live-in, Tommy finally accepted the truth and became excited, as he realized they would not have to adopt. They could have their own children. They would be starting their family earlier than planned, but Tommy was certain his lover would be happy, after he got over the shock.
 
Instead of eventually being happy, wanting to support Tommy, or just go into quiet shock, Allen Gormaki went into a rage. He screamed and called Tommy a freak, then left their apartment. As Dee and Dana drew the story out from Tommy, the young man's mother sitting on the couch next to him, they heard how Allen had returned around 4 am with a friend and beat Tommy up. Tommy ran from the apartment in his sleeping clothes and arrived at his parents house in tears.
 
“I know that maybe I should have called the police as soon as I saw Tommy, but he was so upset, I just had to calm him down,” Mrs. Sabrano said to the detectives.
 
Dee nodded. “Yes, it would have been better, but I can understand. If it was my child, I know that would have been my priority.”
 
Mrs. Sabrano smiled at Dee. “I guess you can relate, Detective Laytner-MacLean. Is this your first?”
 
Dee nodded, smiling. “Yes, and no. We adopted a boy we've been raising. But I'm looking forward to it raising a child from the start, ma'am.” His eyes went to Tommy, studying the young man.
 
“I take it that you haven't been checked up by a doctor,” Dana surmised to the boy.
 
Mrs. Sabrano looked horrified. “Oh god, that completely slipped my mind.” She looked at Tommy. “After the detectives are done here, we're taking you to get checked up.
 
“Actually, ma'am, if you don't mind, I'd rather if we take Tommy to the ER. It would help his case,” Dana suggested. “We'll accompany you, and can get any information while we're there.”
 
Tommy stiffened. “I'm fine. Really. Mom, please. I don't want to go.” He looked panicked.
 
Dee caught the look on the boy's face. “Tommy,” he started, walking across the room. He started to crouch down before the younger man, but realized that would be impossible for at least a few more months. With an apologetic smile to Mrs. Sabrano, he settled himself on the coffee table so he could be level with Tommy, who now sat before him.
 
Dana smirked, and winked at Mrs. Sabrano who caught her eye. The female detective found it amusing how both Dee and her own husband could still forget they could not do many things as they used to.
 
“Tommy, I need to ask you a question. It might be difficult, but answer me honestly. Do you still want to keep the baby?” Dee asked gently.
 
Tommy nodded. “Yes. I don't want to see him again, but I want the baby.” He looked pleadingly at his mother. “Mom, I'm sorry, but it's the truth.”
 
Mrs. Sabrano kissed Tommy's forehead, rubbing her son's back. “Of course, you do. You'll move back here, and I'll be there for you, sweetheart,” she assured her son.
 
Dee's smile was genuine, glad to see a parent be accepting of her son's pregnancy. “So Tommy, if you want this baby, I suggest you get a good check up,” he offered.
 
“I was supposed to call this afternoon to make an appointment for my first check up and pick a MOP,” Tommy said.
 
Dee pursed his lips, realizing the young man still looked nervous. “Tommy,” he started softly. “I know you're scared. I know you went through a lot today both emotionally and physically. You need to make sure both you and the baby are okay, if you want to go through with this pregnancy.”
 
Tears started to fall from Tommy's gray eyes and he leaned against his mother. “I'm scared. I'm scared that they might tell me he did what he had hoped to do. I can't go….”
 
Dee and Dana traded a look. “Tommy, what did Allen say to you when he got back?”
 
Tommy sobbed for a few moments. His mother tried to soothe him, while Dee and Dana patiently waited for the young man to reply. “He… he said,” Tommy finally said through his sobs, “that he wanted to…kill the baby.” He was crying more. “He said he did not want his blood in a monster. I don't think he was trying to kill me, but they were trying to kill the baby.”
 
Dee and Dana shared another look. They understood. Tommy was afraid his ex had succeeded, and was trying to avoid the truth. Dee looked at Mrs. Sabrano, caught her eyes and with a single look conveyed the seriousness of the situation.
 
“Has he been in any pain?” Dana asked.
 
Mrs. Sabrano nodded, starting to look panicked. “Y-yes. I figured it was because of the beating. But… I didn't think about that. Tommy, you're going right now, even if me and the lady detective has to carry you out.”
 
Dee grimaced. There was a time, months ago, where the older woman would have put her faith in Dee doing the carrying, but as he was currently doing a different type of Carrying, she left him out.
 
“Tommy, do you want to keep the baby?” Dee asked again, hoping to get their point across to the distraught man.
 
Tommy nodded, starting to cry more. “Yes. I want it. I don't want to see him, but I want it.”
 
“Of course, you do, sweetheart,” Mrs. Sabrano said gently, kissing her son's forehead.
 
“That's all the more reason to get you checked out, Tommy,” Dana said. “We need to make sure everything is okay with you and the baby.”
 
Dee watched as Tommy seemed to fall further apart, then looked over to Dana. The baby decided at that moment to let Dee know she wasn't happy with how he was sitting and started to kick. Rubbing his swollen belly, his attention went back to Tommy, willing the baby to calm down. “Tommy, I think you need to come with us. Detective Johnsen will call for transportation.” He glanced up at his partner, who nodded.
 
Taking out her cell phone, she stepped across the living room, to slip into the kitchen and make her calls in private.
 
Dee leaned over to touch Tommy's arm. “Tommy, listen to me. If it isn't too late, this could make a difference. You could end up losing the baby by waiting too long. Do this for the baby, okay?”
 
Tommy nodded, still crying. “But I'm scared.”
 
“It's okay to be scared,” Dee assured Tommy. He smiled gently at the upset man. “It says that you care.”
 
“Yeah.” He twisted to cry in his mother's arms.
 
“Is there a Mr. Sabrano?” Dee asked, raising his eyebrows.
 
“Yes. My husband had already left for work when Tommy arrived,” Mrs. Sabrano replied. “I called him, but he said they won't let him leave early. He works construction. He told me it would set back their schedule if he leaves.”
 
Dee frowned. “If you tell me where he works, I can take care of that. I know for a fact that it's law to allow an employee family emergency leave, even if just for a day.”
 
“Would you,” Tommy's mother asked, sounding relieved. “I would appreciate that. Thank you so much.” She smiled at Dee.
 
“It's not a big deal, ma'am. I just happen to know the law.” He winked at her, as he finally stood up. Walking away from the coffee table, he placed a hand on his lower back, trying to work out the slight ache. He was suddenly aware that he was sweating in the apartment that had just open windows for air.
 
The woman studied Dee as she held her son, still attempting to soothe him. “I'm so rude, Detective. I should offer you something cold to drink.”
 
Dee indicated Tommy. “You're busy, Mrs. Sabrano. We should be on our way shortly, so don't worry too much about it.” He smiled at her. “Besides, my husband makes me keep cold water and juice in the car. He knows how difficult it is for me in this weather.” He pointed to Tommy again. “Do you have air conditioning in this place?”
 
She nodded. “In the bedrooms. Including Tommy's old room.”
 
“Good. He'll be needing it soon. Believe me, I was barely two months pregnant in the winter and still sweating up a storm sometimes.”
 
“It must be awful for you now that it's getting warmer.”
 
“I'm just glad I won't be going through August like this,” Dee said with a grin. He noticed Tommy started to settle in his mother's arms, and wondered if he had fallen to sleep.
 
Dana came back into the living room. “An ambulance is on the way,” she informed them. “We're going to take Tommy to New York Downtown.”
 
“Why all the way in Manhattan?” Mrs. Sabrano asked.
 
Dee sighed. “Mrs. Sabrano, please. It's for the best. We have all victims who have been abused taken there. It is the only hospital in the city that has a full trauma center for Carriers. Along with the best doctors and resources. Tommy has good chances of getting through his pregnancy by allowing the doctors there to see him.”
 
The woman nodded and smiled at both detectives. “Of course. Thank you again. It's so wonderful to know our police department truly has everyone's best intentions in mind.”
 
“That's our job, ma'am,” Dana assured her.
 
During the pause, they heard a siren come from outside the window, getting closer.
 
“That must be Tommy's limo,” Dee stated. “I'll go downstairs to meet them.” He looked at Dana. “I suppose you called my husband to inform him we might be late for lunch?”
 
She winked. “Yes. Of course, I did.”
 
“Alrighty then, you help Mrs. Sabrano get Tommy ready to leave, and I'll be back in a few with his ride.” Dee smiled as he took his leave from the others in the room.
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
 
Ryo came out of his office into the squad room. “Andy, come on. We have a pick up over in Queens,” he informed his partner, who had come in a half hour earlier, stating that he had trouble with his son's daycare and had to find a sitter.
 
Both Drake and JJ looked up from their work. “What's up, Ryo?” JJ asked.
 
“Going to pick up the perp to Dee and Dana's case, while they take the vic to the hospital,” Ryo explained. He rubbed his hand over his face.
 
Too many times they encountered that type of domestic. Gay couple appearing to be happily settled, and then suddenly, one of them end up pregnant. The other goes into some degree of ballistic and ends up injuring or killing the victim. Dee and Dana had at least one of those calls a week, sometimes more.
 
“I'm going to grab Hernandez and Ferguson, and meet up with some of the local boys over in Woodside,” Ryo stated, his eyes on his partner, who was quickly tidying his desk. He shook his head. “Andy, c'mon. Your desk is empty enough, dammit. People walk by thinking no one works that desk.” He shook his head and started to leave the office, the younger detective trying his best to finish up and run after Ryo.
 
Drake and JJ shared a look and started to laugh once the door was closed behind Andy and they heard him call out for Ryo to wait up.
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
When Dee and Dana returned to the 2-7, it was mid-afternoon. Ted came over to them as they entered the squad room. “Dee, the Commissioner wants to see you in his office. And Ryo called, requesting that I ask if you managed to have lunch yet.”
 
Dee sighed as Dana laughed. “Tell Ryo that there is no way I'm going to let Dee go on without eating. Even if he kept saying he wasn't hungry.” She glared at Dee.
 
“I'm sorry. But sometimes after what we go through, I find I don't have an appetite,” Dee grumped. “But I'll leave a message for Ryo that Dana force-fed me.” He glared back at his partner.
 
Dana glanced at the clock on the office wall. “It's 2:20, Dee. You should have been off duty 20 minutes ago.”
 
Dee sighed. “I'm going. I'll just collect my things and make a stop at the Commissioner's office on the way out. He's such a stickler about the days I work six hours, it'll be a quick meeting, I can assure that. Good night folks.” He winked and grinned as he went into the office he shared with Ryo.
 
“We heard that Ryo is stuck in Central Booking for the rest of the afternoon,” Dana commented to Ted as she sat down at her desk, preparing to start on the reports for the two cases her and Dee had that day.
 
“Yup. Apparently the perp didn't go willingly either, from what we heard. Ryo and Andy had a bit of a chase before he was apprehended,” Ted replied. “How's Caully doing?”
 
“He still doesn't know what he wants to do. He still has time, in case he decides not to go through with this,” Dana replied.
 
“And his parents?”
 
“Caully told Dee he wants to move out, but being he's 17, that's a bit of a problem right now,” Dana said. “He has 7 more months until he's 18. His parents have been demanding he has an abortion since they found out. Thankfully Dee is putting his foot down and told Caully that if he decides to go through with that, it will be Caully's decision and no one else's.”
 
Ted shook his head sadly. “It must suck to be Caully. I feel sorry for the kid.”
 
“Even if he goes for abortion, his relationship with his parents will no longer be the same once they found out his rapist followed him home from a gay bar,” Dana sadly said. “It's a damn shame the Carrier gene activated early for him. The average age for it to be activated is between 19 and 23.”
 
“Yup. Poor kid. At least he's in good hands with you and Dee looking out for him,” Ted agreed.
 
“Thanks.” Dana started to work on her reports.
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
Ryo arrived home as Dee had Bikky setting the table in the dining room for dinner. After saying hello to his son, Ryo went into the kitchen to look in on Dee. He was relieved to know dinner was almost ready to be served, as he was hungry. He was also slightly grumpy and irritable, which had something to do with the discoloration around his right eye.
 
Dee turned as Ryo entered the kitchen and gasped upon seeing his husband's face, immediately setting the casserole dish he held down on the counter.
 
Noticing the worry on his husband's face, Ryo smirked at Dee. “You should see what the other guy looks like,” he said. “He kinda pissed me off, `cause I knew you'd get worried when you saw this.” He would have winked, if he was able to at the moment.
 
Dee broke out in laughter, just as Ryo hoped, and went over to hug Ryo. Moving over to Ryo's side, he leaned over and softly kissed the eye. “I heard he gave some trouble, but no one said anything about that,” Dee commented.
 
“That's cause I didn't let anyone say anything about it. I got it checked out, so don't worry. It looks worse than it really is. I'm more pissed off at myself for letting him get a punch in.” He hugged Dee, his hands mostly resting on Dee's hips, fingertips brushing against the rise of the baby swell. “I feel way better now,” he said with a smile. “Best medicine, you gave me.”
 
Dee smiled softly. “I think we both could use an early night tonight,” he suggested. He kissed the side of Ryo's mouth lightly and then turned to go back to his casserole. “I have salad in the fridge, if you don't mind grabbing it.” He picked up the casserole dish again, intending to start out of the kitchen.
 
Ryo stopped Dee by grabbing him by his arm. “Something's wrong,” Ryo stated, knowing the other man too well.
 
Dee shrugged. “Another day at the office, that's all.”
 
Ryo ran his fingers through Dee's hair. “I'll tell you what, after we eat and make sure Bikky's homework is done, we have a nice soak. And then we can talk. How does that sound?”
 
“We talk, right? You'll talk too about whatever got to you today?”
 
Ryo nodded. “Sure. So it's a date then, you, me and the tub.”
 
Dee gave Ryo a warm smile. “I'm looking forward to it.” He winked and went into the dining room.
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
 
Within their private bathroom, they soaked in the tub. Lights were dimmed, and candles flickered from other surfaces in the bathroom. The water was warm, but not too hot, or Dee would not be able to stay in long. In a diffuser, Ryo burned an oil blend intended for calm and relaxation. He had brought the blend, along with a few others at a boutique of a spa designed for Carriers. Although aromatherapy was explained in the information packets they had originally received, and they came across the subject in books they read on Carrier Pregnancies, both men did not give it much thought until they were on their honeymoon. Part of their welcome package was a basket of several samples of oils and candles designed for a Carrier. They ignored it until they took a class on their first day. Later that evening, Ryo lit the candles. He was sold since then, and Dee grudgingly had to agree it helped with his moods. Ryo made sure they were always in supply of various blends and candles, and were put to good use.
 
Ryo was leaning against the back end of the tub, with Dee settled between his legs, his back against Ryo's chest. Ryo's hands were around Dee's middle, resting on the baby swell.
 
“She's quiet tonight,” Ryo noted, realizing he had not felt any firm kicks whenever he touched Dee's belly.
 
Dee sighed in appreciation of Ryo's hands rubbing gently along the swell. “She's happy. I think that stuff actually helps with her moods too.”
 
Ryo leaned his head forward to nuzzle the back of Dee's neck. “I think when Daddy is relaxed, then Chibi is relaxed.”
 
“Mmm…” Dee remarked blissfully.
 
Ryo hugged Dee tightly. “Okay, sweetheart. Time to talk, then forget about it for the rest of the night.”
 
“Do we have to?” Dee asked, stiffening up in Ryo's arms.
 
Ryo started to lightly kiss Dee's shoulder. “Yes. Because if we don't, you'll end up holding it in and at some point it's going to bite you on the ass.” His hands continued to rub the baby swell. “Which is bad enough, but with this one in here, it'll be worse, `cause then you could end up with an upset Chibi.”
 
Dee sighed heavily. Ryo was candy coating it because he would catch on to what he really meant. “Yeah, alright,” Dee grudgingly agreed.
 
“So how was your day?” Ryo asked.
 
“Sucked. First there was Tommy. But you met the ex, so you have half the story.”
 
Ryo kissed Dee's shoulder. “I told you, you didn't see what he looks like.”
 
“Just as long as Rose doesn't have to get creative concerning the arrest.”
 
“Nope. All justified. And I have witnesses.”
 
“Good.”
 
“Now, continue.”
 
Dee leaned back against Ryo again. “While we were at the hospital, I called Tommy's father, and told him I could get him off work to come be with his son. He told me he did not want to go.”
 
Ryo closed his eyes. “Oh God, please don't say it.”
 
“I won't, but it's the truth. In fact, we're looking more into it, being he went to his parents first and told them the news.”
 
“So?”
 
“The second perp picked up for Tommy's assault worked with Tommy's father.”
 
“Oh shit!”
 
“Tomorrow, we're going to start investigating Mr. Sabrano. I'm hoping there isn't another domestic tonight, because I get a feeling the son of a bitch won't be thrilled to find out he's moving back home.”
 
“I'm sorry, Dee. What about Tommy?”
 
“High risk pregnancy because of the beating. He still intends to go ahead with it, but it's going to be tough for him. I got Vince to take his case. Vince gave him all but complete and total bed rest. Then after Dana made me eat, we went to see Caully.”
 
Ryo felt Dee sag against him. The once a week visits to speak to the 17 year old Carrier and his parents emotionally drained Dee. Ryo wondered sometimes why they kept doing what they did, but knew they could never turn their backs on it. They found passion for their careers knowing they might make a difference. For Ryo, his day had some satisfaction when he finally put the handcuffs on Allen Gormaki for assault and attempt to kill Tommy Sabrano's fetus.
 
“Still the same?” Ryo asked.
 
“Yeah. Still stuck living in a home where his parents love him, but don't want the baby. They want him to abort, and then forget everything ever existed,” Dee replied.
 
“He's not pressured into doing anything rash yet, is he?” Ryo asked.
 
“He's still undecided,” Dee replied. “I honestly don't want to be in his position. I mean, the baby is not by someone he loved. It was conceived as a result of rape. Seventeen years old, but he's not sure if he can go through with an abortion. And because the average age of the Carrier gene triggering is 19, there is nothing like a group home for teenage Carriers.”
 
“There are homes for young woman who are unwed and pregnant, most over 19,” Ryo pointed out. “Is there anything like that for Carriers?”
 
Dee shook his head. “No. Single Carriers are forced to battle it out for themselves.”
 
Ryo leaned his head back as he held Dee tighter. “I'm sorry, Dee. You know, after some of the assholes we encountered out of New York while on our honeymoon, I was so thankful that we lived here. But then we came to back to find out our unit has been reassigned, and I'm learning that not even this fine city of ours isn't as liberal about Carrier Rights than I thought.”
 
“I know. I never gave much thought until I keep finding myself against red tape and obstacles. It just sucks. Anyway, I told Tommy that I'm not accepting any decisions from him until I'm certain it's what he really wants, and not just to make his parents happy.” Dee grasped Ryo's wandering hands in his and squeezed them. “But I'm feeling much better now.”
 
“I'm glad.”
 
“Now about you?”
 
Ryo shrugged. “Gormaki resisted arrest, decked me, and made a run for it. Honestly I started to feel better once I got him booked. From the time we had him in the car, he kept insisting that he was in the right. Showed how right he was as he found himself spending tonight behind bars. Saved us an investigation, because the bastard was so convinced we were doing him wrong, he admitted to what he did to Tommy. We have a signed confession. That's a good thing.” Ryo nuzzled Dee's neck. “Even better, we're here now.”
 
Dee nodded. “Yep. I have a few ideas on how to give today a perfect ending.”
 
“Ask me, I'm already getting it.” He kissed Dee's neck again. “But I'm open to more ideas.”
 
Dee smiled. “I love you.”
 
“Love you, too, Dee.”
 
“I'm ready to move this to the bed.”
 
“I think that's a great idea. Let's go.”
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
They had entered the bedroom, leaving towels behind in the bathroom. Ryo made love to Dee - the days of Dee making love to Ryo were in the past for now. In the last month, not only did it seem impractical to Dee, despite reading sections on topping which pregnant in the Carrier books he read, he just lost his drive. Vince assured them it was normal. Very often, sometime in the 2nd trimester, a Carrier would lose interest in topping until after the baby was born. Ryo and Dee decided to take full advantage at the change between them while it lasted. Sometimes Ryo would miss how it felt to have Dee inside him, but found no complaints in hearing Dee moaning in bliss, telling Ryo how good it felt to have him moving inside him, and how it felt to Ryo to fill Dee.
 
Sated, they settled to bed, the evening still a little early for Ryo. Dee would usually be in bed by ten lately, while Ryo would still be up, watching the news or doing some cleaning around the apartment. That night was an early night for both men. Ryo had the type of day that he just wanted to snuggle with Dee and go to sleep.
 
Dee and Ryo were just starting to doze off to sleep, Ryo spooning Dee, a hand resting protectively on the swell of Dee's tummy, when the peace was shattered by Dee's cell phone going off.
 
Both men grumbled at the annoyance. “Don't answer that,” Ryo mumbled, holding Dee tighter.
 
“I don't want to,” Dee replied sleepily. He sighed heavily and started to pull from Ryo's arms.
 
“Dee….”
 
“If it's important,” Dee protested.
 
“At 10:15 at night? No, Dee. They know better.”
 
Dee managed to break from Ryo's hold and grabbed his phone. “Exactly. Anyone calling at this time, it's important.” He noticed the name on the screen and answered the phone. “Dana, what's up?”
 
Ryo muttered a string of curses as he burrowed further into the covers. “We're not going out there, Dee,” he insisted, ignoring Dee's side of the conversation.
 
Dee hung up the phone. “C'mon Ryo. We need to go meet Dana at the hospital.”
 
Ryo flopped onto his back, staring up at Dee. “Why?”
 
“Well, I have to go. You can stay here. Dana and Jack were in an accident, and he went into labor.”
 
Ryo sat up, swearing. “How's the baby?”
 
“Considering they're about 4 days ahead of the c-section, the baby should be fine. Apparently the shock of impact put him in labor. She said she's fine, but Jack was unconscious last she saw him, and hasn't heard anything since. She's my partner, Ryo. I have to be there for her. If they operate tonight, she won't be allowed in for the baby's birth.”
 
Ryo was jumping out of the bed. “Oh damn. Yeah, you're right. Dana needs us.”
 
In minutes the two men were dressed and after checking in with Bikky, were on their way downstairs. When they reached the corner, instead of walking the two blocks south on The Bowery to the subway station, they crossed the two way street and hailed a cab, telling the driver they were going to Elmhurst General in Queens.
 
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
Dee and Ryo rushed from the elevator, going past the nurses' station and into the waiting room. They already had checked in at the lobby, and were worried that they had him on an obstetrics floor.
 
Dee saw Dana leaning against a wall, arms crossed around her front as if hugging herself. Her make-up was smeared and face was tear-streaked. Physically she was a pert, petite woman, but in the time Dee had worked with her, he hardly noticed that fact. Her attitude and spirit made her seem like a much larger woman. Have a black belt in several martial arts proved several times that she did not need anymore help than any of the male detectives on the job.
 
At that moment the formidable woman seemed so small to Dee. He crossed the waiting room to her and immediately placed his arms around her. He hugged her to him best he could considering his bump between them. She rested her head on his shoulder and started to cry.
 
Ryo came to their side and slipped an arm around her waist. “Did you hear anything yet?” he asked softly. He looked up to Dee, and their eyes met, both men fearing the worse.
 
She shook her head. “No.” After letting out a sob, she added, “I'm scared. I'm so scared. No one is telling me anything.”
 
Dee nodded his head to Ryo, both men able to convey a plan with a mere look. Ryo pulled away from them while Dee guided her toward the chairs set up along the walls of the waiting room.
 
“I'm going to see if I can get some answers,” Ryo stated softly. “You stay here with Dee. If you're good, I might even come back with coffee.”
 
Dana looked up at him, a hint of a smile on her face. “Thank you, Ryo.”
 
“Do I get coffee too?” Dee gazed up from where he sat with a protective arm around Dana's shoulders. Ryo could see the amusement in his eyes.
 
“Sure, but if you don't drink it, I'll be insulted,” Ryo replied with a wink. He turned to leave the waiting room in search of someone who could get him answers, knowing Dee was teasing. Dee still loved the smell of good brewed coffee, but he couldn't drink it. It was something Dee was hoping would go away once he had the baby.
 
Dee watched as Ryo left. “Now, do you want to tell me what happened here?” he gently asked his partner.
 
The female detective took a deep breath, and wiped her eyes. “We were driving back from a dinner party some friends were holding. I just got off the ramp from the BQE, and suddenly this car came from behind us. I tried to swerve to get out of the way, but ended up side swiping a parked car. It was on Jack's side, so he took the brunt of impact. Thankfully my cell was still working, and once I told dispatch I was an MOS, we had the EMTs arriving on the scene fast enough. But there was so much blood on Jack's side.” She started to cry again and Dee held her tighter.
 
Dee was frowning. “Did the other driver stop?” he had to ask. It was second nature to him.
 
She shook her head. “No, he kept on going. I gave the first officer a description. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get the plates.”
 
“Ryo and I are going to go down to the local precinct first thing tomorrow. I know we can get the Commissioner to make sure every step is taken in finding the asshole who did this.”
 
“Thank you, Dee.”
 
“What if I lose them both, Dee?” Dana asked, starting to sob again. She started to shake in Dee's arms.
 
Dee kissed her forehead. “Be strong, sweetheart. Be strong for Jack and your baby boy. Don't give up on them.”
 
She nodded. “You're right.” She still wept on Dee's shoulder, while he held her tightly.
 
They lost track of the time when they heard footsteps approach them. Dee looked up to notice Ryo, who was holding a cardboard tray of hot beverages, talking to a middle aged man in scrubs. Dana lifted her head and followed Dee's gaze. Dee held her protectively, not able to tell from the faces coming closer what type of news they had.
 
“Mrs. Johnsen,” the doctor addressed. `I'm Doctor Bailey. I was in surgery with your husband.”
 
Dee glanced over at Ryo, who finally gave him a small smile and nod of his head.
 
“How is he?” Dana blurted out. Dee felt the woman tremor with fear. “And the baby?”
 
“Both your husband and son are expected to make a full recovery. Your son needed to be put in incubation,” the doctor explained. “Your husband sustained injuries and lost of a lot of blood. We knew we had to perform surgery to remove your son, but we couldn't until he was stabilized.” The doctor's look turned grim for a moment. “We lost your husband while prepping for surgery, but we were able to revive him. Unfortunately that caused additional stress on the baby. Thankfully, your son appears to be fine now, but we'd like to keep him in incubation overnight as a precaution.”
 
“And what about Jack?” she asked.
 
“He's still under, and we anticipate needing to do additional surgery once he's stronger. But we expect a full recovery.”
 
Dana released a heavy breath, slumping in Dee's arms. She started to cry again, but without the despair from before. “Son? Our son is born? And he's fine?” she asked.
 
“Yes, Mrs. Johnsen. We can take you to see your son. By then we should have your husband settled in recovery, and you can see him.”
 
“Please. Yes. I need to see them. Both of them.”
 
Dee was hugging Dana again and kissed her cheek. “Here that, partner. Jack's going to be fine, and you have a son. Congratulations, sweetheart.”
 
Ryo was grinning and he handed Dana her coffee. “Here. I know you're anxious to see your little guy, but you probably need this.”
 
“Yes, bless you,” Dana remarked, taking the coffee from Ryo, smiling brightly. “We have a son. He's here.”
 
“Yes, he's here,” Dee agreed laughing. At that moment, the baby decided to let Dee know she was unhappy sitting in an uncomfortable plastic chair well after midnight. He grunted as he finally released Dana, and rubbed his swollen bump. “You still have a while to go yet, Koko, so you need to calm it down.”
 
Dana laughed, and had a sip of her coffee. “I've been meaning to ask, but is that her name? Koko? It's unusual, even for Japanese.”
 
Ryo grinned wickedly as he handed Dee a cup with tea. “Nah, that's just a nickname. We still use Chibi, but Koko sounds female, and we decided she needed a nickname that sounded like a girl,” he explained as Dee started to drink his tea.
 
Dee chuckled. “Ryo's fault. He said that in the ultrasound pictures that she looked like a coconut. Which is what he started to call her right after the ultrasound, and eventually it became Koko-nut. Now it's just Koko.”
 
“Did you decide on a name for her yet?” Dana asked. Talking to Dee and Ryo helped calm her down and prepare to see her newborn son, and then after, see her husband. She realized from what the doctor said that he would be worse for wear before better, and she knew she had to be prepared for when she finally got to see him.
 
Dee stood up, the hand not holding his tea going to the small of his back, and pressing on the area, trying to relieve the pain. “Ugh, she's sitting on something she shouldn't be,” Dee complained. “And yes, we do, but no, we're not saying until she's born.”
 
Dana looked at Ryo as she also stood up, accepting Ryo's hand to assist her. “Dee and I agreed. No one will know her name until we present her. Shall we?” he asked, holding out his elbow to her.
 
Dana grinned, tears in her eyes. “Yes. And please, I want you both to say hello to our son before you head off and get Dee into bed.”
 
Dee went on the other side of Dana, taking her by her arm. “We'd be honored. By the way, what is the baby's name?”
 
Dana grinned. “Jack Jr.”