Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected III ❯ A Visit From the Past ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected III
Chapter 3 - A Visit From the Past
Word Count: 7363
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read! Cursing, mature themes, graphic insinuations of violent death.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
Notes: Tired and overworked, because of understaffing, Dee is starting to feel strain and frustration on the job. Then he gets a phone call from someone in his past. (Did I mention I suck at summaries? `Cause I do.)
Beta by the gorgeous gracie_musica
 
# # # # #
 
June 4, 2006
 
The others looked up as Dee and Ryo entered the squad room.
 
“Hey, did you hear from Dana lately?” Marty asked.
 
“We saw her last night. Jack's doing much better, and making a nice recovery from his second surgery. They want to keep him in longer than with normal childbirth, but both Jack and the baby are doing fine. They expect a full recovery for Jack. We'll probably go by again tomorrow,” Dee replied. “She did say he's up to visitors, so if anyone wants to come by and say hello to the new family, they could. Otherwise, we'll gladly take well wishes when we go see them.”
 
“After Dee and I go shopping for more stuff for the cutie,” Ryo commented. He gazed at Dee's bump, a soft smile on his face. “I look at little Jack Jr. and I can't believe we're going to have one of those little cuties soon.”
 
Dee smiled back at Ryo. “I know what you mean. I look at that little guy, and I want Koko with us already. But I don't suggest how Jack sped up having the baby early.” He sat down in Andy's vacated chair, since the rookie detective had the day off.
 
“I think me and JJ will go tonight then,” Drake replied, smiling at Ryo. He was relieved to hear that Dana's husband was recovering from the accident and trauma in childbirth because of his injuries. “At least they caught the asshole who caused it.”
 
“A fuckin' drunk driver,” Dee commented. “Am I wrong to be glad she's still in the hospital in worse condition than Jack after she wrapped her car around a lamppost several blocks from where she hit Dana and Jack?”
 
“No, not wrong at all,” Drake agreed. “Once they got a match on the paint on point of impact on Dana's car and the car wrapped around the street light, there has been guards outside that room.”
 
Ryo nodded. “So I hear. Once she's ready for release, she'll be escorted to a nice cell with her name on it. No, nothing wrong at all for karma doing our job.” He smirked, as he leaned against Andy's desk, his eyes shifting down to the few personal things his partner finally placed - mostly a few pictures of his son, and the small pile of paperwork that was unfinished.
 
“Don't do it, Ryo,” JJ warned. “Every time you move something on his desk, we have to hear about it for hours when he gets back.”
 
“How often is that?” Ryo asked. “It's not very often there's actually something on his desk to move.”
 
Dee shook his head. “I tell you, a clean desk is a sign of someone who doesn't have enough work.”
 
The others looked at each other and started to scatter various papers and folders on their desks to make it look more than there was. Dee and Ryo looked and laughed.
 
“So with both Dana and Andy out today, how are we doing this?” Dee asked. “Should Ryo and I stay together, and leave the tougher calls to the rest of you?” For the last few days, with Dana on baby leave, Ryo and Andy would go out with Dee for his calls, while Dee would stay behind for anything Ryo and Andy would normally go out for.
 
Drake shrugged. “Why not? Then next time Andy's off, someone else pairs up with Dee.”
 
“If there's no calls needing Dee's expertise, I'll join with other calls until I'm needed to go out with Dee,” Ryo commented.
 
“Sounds like a plan,” Dee said. “I have enough paperwork to keep me here until this baby is born.” He let out a heavy sigh.
 
“How's the investigation for the Sabrano case going?” JJ asked, getting up from his desk and stretching.
 
Dee leaned back in the seat, resting his hands on the baby swell. “The father's denying he sent one of his co-workers to help the boyfriend. Meanwhile Adam Dinachi is insisting that Vincent Sabrano contacted him later that evening. Apparently Allen Gormaki knew enough to contact Sabrano after he left the apartment he shared with Tommy.”
 
“Sabrano is living in a hotel at the moment,” Ryo added. “He finally got home and insisted he was not going to share his home with a Carrier, denounced his son, and promptly got kicked out on his ass by Mrs. Sabrano.”
 
“Good on her!” Drake approved.
 
JJ sighed. “It's going to be tough on them, since Tommy is an adult, and she can't collect child support.”
 
“No, but if they divorce and she gets a good lawyer, she should have some money to help out,” Drake pointed out.
 
“Too bad Gormaki is going to jail, because Tommy could have sued for child support,” Marty mused.
 
Dee slammed a hand on the desk surface, causing everyone to jump. “He couldn't anyway. Because child support is not obligated for Carriers. They never got around to that law yet.”
 
“Well, that sucks,” Marty commented.
 
“There's a lot that sucks concerning Carriers that we never give thought to, until now,” Dee growled. “Every time I think I'm getting somewhere with an investigation or to assist someone, I find another road block. It makes me thankful for everything I have in my life.” He looked up at Ryo and smiled.
 
Ryo returned the smile, and then tapped the desk with his fingertips. “Alrighty. Time for work.”
 
Dee groaned, but got up from the chair. Waving to the others, he followed Ryo into their office.
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
Dee sat in the office alone, fed up with yet another Carrier done wrong. He knew he could never walk away from police work, but sometimes he grew frustrated. They serve justice for one person, there's three more needing their help. Sometimes there was a victim able to speak for themselves, and other times it was too late. Too many times it was too late. In the last few weeks, Dee hated being called in after the fact more than ever. Ryo had gone with Drake and JJ on a call of a Carrier found dead in his apartment in the Bronx. Ted and Marty were out following up on some potential leads that could tie Mr. Sabrano to Tommy's beating. Dee had a bad feeling for the young man. Not long before, he had attempted to get a restraining order against the father, but he hit more red tape. They would have to wait until Mr. Sabrano made a move against Tommy, then the young pregnant man could file for the restraining order. Dee was hoping Ted and Marty could find something to back up their getting a warrant for Sabrano's arrest, because he had a bad feeling that when a move will be made, it will be too late. Again.
 
He needed a break, so Dee pushed aside all the files after getting a snack from the break room, and started to shop online for car possibilities. Not that they would be able to go look at anything at anytime soon. Originally Ryo and Dee had planned to look at any possibilities they agreed on during their next days off. Then right after lunch, they were called into Chief Smith's office. They found Commissioner Rose also waiting for them. Chief Smith explained that they could not take off for the next couple of days, because they were short staffed with a heavy case load. The Commissioner apologized profusely, promising he would make it up to Dee for working over 5 days without a day off. They were told Andy called in and needed a few days off, that it had something to do with his son. Dana was out on baby leave, with her husband still in the hospital. Dee grumped and complained. He was not going to admit to his superiors that he understood. That was because he was feeling overworked and starting to be more stressed with the job than usual. He was in need soon for some time off. He warned them that he expected to have at least one day off that week, and Rose agreed, but could not tell him when yet.
 
Dee was hoping that he could still have that Wednesday off, which was originally a scheduled day off for him, but would not find out until the next day. After that, the next scheduled day off for them was over a week from then. Surely they could not make him work that many days in a row, even if the work day was reduced.
 
He was interrupted from his perusal of cars by the phone ringing. He picked it up and answered, “Detective Dee Laytner, how may I help you today?” Dee was tired and answered the phone on automatic pilot, born of years of practice, rather than recently. If he was in a better frame of mind, he would have said his last name was Laytner-MacLean.
 
“Dee!” he heard a vaguely familiar voice greet him. “How the bloody hell are you?”
 
“I'm sorry,” Dee replied, “but do I know you?”
 
“Of course you know me,” came the response followed by a chuckle. It was the chuckle Dee picked up on.
 
“Holy crap, no way. Seth?” he asked.
 
“That's me, lover boy,” he replied. “I just got back from Paris on Friday, and decided to see how are things with my favorite ex. I thought maybe we could have dinner together.”
 
Dee's mouth dropped, catching the tone of voice coming from his ex-lover. “Would ah.. whathisface be joining us if I say yes?” he asked cautiously.
 
“No. Just us. I seem to have lost Tony somewhere in Brussels a few months back.”
 
“That's too bad,” Dee replied.
 
“That's the breaks. Nothing lasts, wouldn't you say, Dee?”
 
“I wouldn't say.” Dee leaned back in his chair to start rubbing his belly, because the baby decided to start playing soccer.
 
“So what do you say, Dee? I'm here alone, in a city that seems foreign to me, with no friends. How about keeping me company for old times sake?”
 
“It's not so foreign considering you lived here for how many years? But yeah, sure,” Dee said, sounding a bit distracted. Dee also knew better than believe he was the only person Seth knew in New York City.
 
Seth seemed to catch the tone. “Please don't tell me you've gone and got yourself trapped in a marriage to some young bird, Dee.”
 
“Nope. Not married to some young bird,” Dee assured him. “But we can't meet alone. I'll have someone with me.”
 
Dee grinned as he could sense Seth rolling his eyes in that way he had. “If you must. I'm really lonely.”
 
“Why did you decide to come to New York then? Maybe going back to London would have been better.”
 
“Because I have business I need to tie up here in New York. Then I'll decide if I should move back to London,” Seth replied. Dee heard the unsaid, <i> Depends on how tonight turns out.</i>
 
“Look Seth, dinner tonight, but between old friends who haven't seen each other in years and that's all it'll be.”
 
“Couldn't you come alone? How can we rehash the old days if you have a lover tagging along?”
 
“Seth, either I show up with the person I'm with now, or no deal. In fact, I'll make the reservations, just in case you screw up the number in the party.”
 
Seth sighed heavily over the phone. “Whatever. Fine, I'll give you my number and call me back with the specifics. Okay sexy?”
 
“Seth, you haven't seen me for almost 6 years. How do you know I'm still sexy?” He chuckled, shaking his head as he looked down at the baby bump.
 
“Because, Dee Laytner, you're of the caliber that you'll always be sexy. I was a fool, you know. I should have never let you go.”
 
Dee pursed his lips. “If I remember correctly, it was me who let you go. Because you had to have someone else in your bed.”
 
“Never in my bed. Remember my bed back then was our bed. I never did that to you, Dee.”
 
“Well, whoever's bed,” Dee commented. “What's done is done. And we've moved on.” He picked up a pen and jotted down the number showing up on the caller ID window.
 
“I'm back in New York,” Seth reminded.
 
“I never left. Look Seth, I've got your number, so I'll give you a callback in an hour or so.”
 
“Just make it for tonight, Dee. I'm lonely. Desperately lonely and I miss you like crazy.”
 
“Whatever, Seth. Talk to you in a couple of hours.” He put the receiver down on the phone cradle and smirked. Rubbing the baby bump, he said, “Well, I think he's going to get quite a surprise when he meets you, Koko.” He chuckled, remembering the sometimes torrential relationship with the older British man from London who had relocated to New York City. He was very aware of the reason why they eventually broke up, and wished someone could get a photo of Seth when he saw Dee for the first time later that night.
 
“Meet who?” Dee heard Ryo's voice come from the door.
 
“I got a strange phone call out of the blue just now,” Dee replied with a smile, watching as Ryo walked across the office. He lifted his face to Ryo as the older detective leaned down to lightly kiss him.
 
“Oh really?” Ryo asked, placing a hand on Dee's cheek.
 
“Yup. Remember I told you about Seth?”
 
“That London bloke you broke up with because you wouldn't bottom for him?” Ryo looked amused. “He called?”
 
Dee nodded. “Yup. He did. Insisted that we meet for dinner tonight because he's lonely and desperate. I told him it's dinner for three, because no way I'm going without you. Let him meet a real man.”
 
Ryo smiled warmly, his hand sliding down from Dee's face to touch the swell of Dee's tummy. “I know a real man,” he replied, rubbing Dee's belly and was rewarded by feeling a kick. “That's my soccer girl,” he commented, looking down, his smile growing. “So what time are we meeting this clown?” he asked Dee.
 
“Dunno. I figure you'll tell me after you make the reservations. It'll have to be early, because after today, I need an early night.”
 
“I'll insist on an early night,” Ryo stated. “I'm sorry about our days off, Dee.”
 
“Don't apologize. It's Rose and Chief's fault. Nothing for you to apologize about.”
 
“Yeah well. I ran into the Commissioner and he said if all goes well by tomorrow afternoon, we're going to like what he has to say.”
 
“If he says we have off just Wednesday, I'll take that,” Dee said.
 
“He's trying, but we'll see.”
 
“So what's up with that call? Something we need to be concerned about?” Dee asked.
 
“Yes and no. Initial on scene examination told us that he had complications with the pregnancy. We'll know for certain after the autopsy first thing tomorrow morning. He lived alone. What we got from one of his neighbors, who was a friend - the one who found him and called it in, his medical insurance didn't have coverage for Carrier pregnancies and he couldn't afford visits with a MOP.”
 
“Damn,” Dee sighed. “And there's no program for Carriers with no insurance either. There's a few MOPs who would offer their services, but I guess we need to get that out to the community better.” Dee placed his elbows on the desk surface and covered his face with his hands. “Fuck. That just makes the rest of today perfect,” he moaned.
 
Ryo walked up behind Dee and started to massage his shoulders. “Maybe meeting this ex of yours tonight isn't a great idea. You go home in an hour, and I think it's best you stay home and relax. I'll come back with some takeout, so we don't have to cook.”
 
Dee shook his head, feeling his muscles relax under the ministrations of Ryo's strong fingers that knew where to find the knots and how to loosen them. “Nah. As long as we make it an early night, I'll be fine. I think I could use the laugh.”
 
“Laugh?” Ryo asked, his hands going down from Dee's shoulders to his upper back.
 
Dee moaned in appreciation. “Don't stop… that feels heavenly.”
 
Ryo chuckled and leaned over to kiss the top of Dee's head. “You were saying about a laugh?”
 
“Yeah. I told you why we broke up. So imagine his face when I walk in with you… like this.” He moved his hands to place them on each side of the swell. He was wearing a pullover shirt that draped in a way that made the protrusion very noticeable in a way that could not be fat.
 
Ryo started to laugh, picturing exactly what Dee was describing. “Oh yes. But to be fair to him, you still were that way until that day in the kitchen.”
 
“Which brings us to now, with our little Koko due to arrive near the end of next month and you the top man.” Dee gazed up at Ryo with twinkling eyes. “Of course, we don't have to tell him that much. Just looking at me should give him enough hint of what's going on around here.”
 
Ryo laughed more. “Sure.” His hands moved lower, focusing on the center of Dee's lower back.
 
“I love you,” Dee drawled, leaning forward enough for Ryo to have better access.
 
“Yeah, well enough for now,” Ryo said with smirk. He finished the rub down and moved his arms so he ended up hugging Dee around his neck from behind. He kissed the side of Dee's face. “Before you fall asleep here. I'm going to make you some tea and then I'll make those reservations for dinner for tonight.”
 
Dee turned his head so he could kiss Ryo properly, their tongues meeting briefly in a gentle caress before Ryo stood up straight. Smiling, Dee watched as Ryo fussed with the Japanese water heater they had received from one of Ryo's relatives for a wedding gift, and the tea leaves that he placed in a metal strainer. He dropped the metal ball into Dee's mug and filled it with hot water.
 
While Ryo waited for it to be steeped enough to add the honey, Dee realized he was feeling much better now, and went back to looking at cars online.
 
~/~ ~/~ ~/~
 
Ryo ended up making reservations at a Euro-fusion restaurant they had been wanting to try out in Soho. Ryo considered places in Soho or the Village, so they would not have far to go once they were done with the night. It was a pricey place, sometimes frequented by celebrities, and unless you had the right connections, it was impossible to get last minute reservations. Ryo had the right connections, since Eunice was dating the owner's younger brother. Ryo also had Seth on his mind when picking out a place for dinner. The man was a photographer, who had accomplished international fame and fortune. While living in Paris, he had advanced his career to enjoy the better life. He photographed models and celebrities, also managing to get exclusive contracts with some celebrities and high society families for taking photos of newborn babies, weddings, special birthday parties. Along with a few businesses he still had in New York, Seth was independently wealthy. Ryo had visions of Seth throwing his wealth in front of Dee in an attempt to lure him back - assuming Seth wanted an almost 8 month pregnant man. Ryo trusted Dee, but it was what he knew of the other man that helped make up his mind on the evening. First the 5 star restaurant, then Ryo told Dee that they were paying for Seth that evening. Ryo wanted Dee to face his ex-lover, and show him that he was doing quite well with his life financially. Dee got Ryo to also admit that he wanted to show Seth that he was able to give Dee everything the photographer might try to offer, and more.
 
When Dee called Seth back, he gave his ex-lover the name and address of the restaurant, and gave him a time a half hour later than their reservations were for.
 
Which gave Dee and Ryo a chance to be seated by the time Seth sauntered into the restaurant. He was about Ryo's height, with long brown hair and hazel gray eyes. He was dressed in a brown Armani suit, and his long hair was pulled back into a ponytail. During a slow time after Dee left work for the day, Ryo had done his research, so he was not surprised how Seth was looking these days, comparing to the few photos Dee still had from the days he was with the photographer. Ryo had to admit the man was good looking, but his photos did not do him justice. He watched the man approach their table, escorted by the maitre d', as other diners watched him pass, some appearing to recognize him. Ryo could tell the other man was aware of it, and seemed to be used to it, even if he appeared to have his attention only on Dee as he got closer.
 
They made sure Dee was seated facing toward the front, the baby bump obscured by the table. Dee was grinning like a fool as he took Ryo's hand in his left one. “Get ready for this. When I went to the restroom, I managed to convince Basil to get a photo when it finally sinks in.” He chuckled, then looked up at Seth stopped at the table.
 
Basil was the owner of the swank restaurant, and when Ryo and Dee arrived, he came over to personally greet them. Apparently Eunice and Basil's younger brother were serious, more than just casually dating, so anyone from Eunice's family was to be treated like family by Basil.
 
“Well, hello Dee,” Seth greeted. “You're looking well.”
 
Dee smiled at him. “Yeah. You too.”
 
Ryo tried not to smirk. He wondered if Seth realized that Dee's face was a little more filled out than usual, because of pregnancy.
 
Dee squeezed Ryo's hand, making sure the diamonds and cut of his wedding band hit the light so Seth could not miss it. “Seth, I want you to meet my husband, Randy.” Ryo had insisted that Dee introduce him by his first name, because only friends were allowed to call him Ryo.
 
Seth's eyes went wide as they fell on Ryo. “Husband? Wow!” He looked back to Dee. “Well, you said not to a bird, so you weren't lying. Just being shrewd.”
 
Dee shrugged. “It should have been a clue if I insisted he was along with me.” He waved his right hand as if to dismiss the topic. Ryo found it highly amusing that Dee was able to make the gesture seem street-like while at the same time regal. Dee's attention went to Ryo. “This is Seth, but I told you all about him.”
 
Ryo nodded, smiling up at Seth. He stood up and extended his hand for a handshake. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Seth,” he greeted. “Please, sit down and join us for dinner.”
 
“This is quite a swank little place here,” Seth commented as he sat down in the only chair left, which was opposite Dee and Ryo. “I'm surprised you were able to get reservations. But don't worry, I can afford it.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Didn't Dee tell you that tonight is on us? No worries, we can afford it.”
 
Dee lowered his head, attempting not to break out in laughter. He could tell Ryo was enjoying himself one-upping Seth.
 
“If you insist, but I don't want you two to be living on noodles for a month because of tonight.”
 
Dee snorted. “If we do, it'll be fresh and imported, thank you.”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes. “That reminds me, I need to make sure we're good for another delivery tomorrow. We're almost out. And God forbid you get it in your head you want some.”
 
Dee laughed. “I'd apologize, but like I keep saying, this is all your fault.”
 
Seth sat with a patented smile on his face, watching the happy married couple interact. When both men fell silent and after they shared a smile, they gazed at him. Seth cleared his throat. “Marriage, huh? Somehow you gave me the impression that if you ever settled down enough to get married, it would be to a woman.”
 
“All I needed was the right person to want to settle down with.” Dee took Ryo's hand again. “And Randy is him.” Dee smiled again at Ryo.
 
The three fell into small talk, asking about the appetizers as they looked at their menus. Dee and Ryo had already decided on what they wanted, but did not let Seth know that. As the other man studied his menu, Ryo glanced at him, once again struck by his good looks. This was a man that hurt Dee when the younger detective had discovered Seth was cheating on him, seeing another man on the side, and yet Seth was forced to seek out someone else to get what he could not from Dee. Ryo was amazed that Dee could not bottom to Seth, and yet when Ryo finally made moves to change from their usual positions, the only protest he had gotten from Dee was a just a token one to up their stakes that time. Now, because of Dee's advanced pregnancy their sex life was one sided again, this time Dee bottoming. Dee admitted he missed topping, but had no interest at the time, along with the large baby bump getting in the way of things. He also made Ryo promise that when they got back to sexual relations after the baby was born, he was expecting things to be more equal between them. It blew Ryo's mind, and had him once again wondering just what was it about him that he was so lucky to have Dee. He also found himself cursing himself again for taking so long to make up his mind.
 
He realized during his musing that his eyes had drifted from Seth to Dee, but only noticed that the two ex-lovers were talking, catching up on their lives. After they ordered, the Laytner-MacLeans were treated to Seth talking up his adventures in Europe, bringing up his wealth in every way that he could. He spoke of the people he photographed, and those he met. He talked about Paris and Belgium and London as if Dee and Ryo would never get a chance to go there.
 
Dee cleared his throat, and cut in, telling Seth about their vacation to England, and their honeymoon to the Caribbean. Ryo took Dee's hints and talked about traveling with his parents. Seth seemed put off that Ryo seemed to be as well-traveled as he was, even if it was years since he had the chance.
 
As their appetizers arrived, Seth noticed Dee's plate. “Lamb?” he asked, amazed. “I'd have thought you'd have ordered the clams or escargot. You always had that when we went out. You're such a seafood freak.” Seth chuckled at the memory.
 
Dee grinned. “Well, still am, but I need to watch what type of seafood and stay away from the undercooked stuff. Besides, the lamb strips with vinigerette and goat cheese looked good to me. I'll probably have the duck with the miso dressing for the entrée.”
 
Seth frowned. “Diet? Health issues?” he asked, looking concerned.
 
“Health,” Dee replied, then he smiled. “But nothing to be worried about.”
 
“If you insist.”
 
Ryo quickly picked up his napkin and placed it before his mouth, almost choking on his last bite, because he realized that he did not realize Dee was pregnant yet.
 
“You okay, hubby?” Dee asked, trying not to call him Ryo in front of Seth, but having trouble calling him Randy. It was easy to refer to his husband as Randy, since he was used to introducing him by his first name; he just had trouble calling the older man Randy. Dee could count the times on one hand that he had in the five years he had known Ryo.
 
“So married, huh? Again, wow! How long have you been married?” Seth asked.
 
“Two and a half months. We were married in March,” Dee replied.
 
“Oh, so newlyweds, eh?” Seth asked.
 
Dee nodded. “And very happy, so get that out of your mind. I don't take my marriage vows lightly. I married Randy, because I know he's a keeper for me.”
 
Their appetizers were taken away, and their salads were served.
 
“March, you say? There was this huge swank wedding affair going on mid-March that I tried to get a bid in for exclusives to be published in Europe. But I dropped the deal.”
 
“Oh?” Ryo asked carefully. “You mean someone else dared to have a huge to-do in March?”
 
“Yeah. Some society family. Their name is big over in Europe. Would have been nice to have had the exclusive for European magazines. Especially since there was all this celebrating over a gay wedding. That's big news, being they're known to be such an uptight family.”
 
Dee laughed. “Well, gee, that wouldn't have happened to be the Laytner-MacLean wedding now, would it?”
 
“MacLean, yeah, that's the name and….” Seth's mouth dropped open. “Holy crap! I never did get the other name of that wedding. You mean, you… him….” Seth's gray eyes rested on Ryo. “You're one of those MacLeans?”
 
Ryo grinned. “Yup. I am. And now, so is Dee. After all, we're now known as the Laytner-MacLeans, MacLean family heir and heir apparent. Sweet, huh?” He also knew that Seth only dropped hounding his family for the exclusive European rights to wedding photos, because Elena and her associates were handling all photography for the wedding, including any exclusive rights. He found it amusing how Seth talked himself up as thinking he was above the family and came to his own decision not to cover it. He never had a chance to get a contract.
 
“Whoa. Very.” He looked over at Dee. “Well, I guess you did more than good for yourself, landing him. Bloody hell. I definitely don't stand a chance now.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Seth, the day I laid eyes on Randy, no one stood a chance. That was it for me. All I wanted was him, and now I have him. All this,” he changed his voice to sound pompous, “MacLean crap,” his voice went back to normal as he continued, “I found out later. Actually, I really had no clue about how rich his family was until I went to a wedding with him last year. And I still didn't get the full scope of it, until his family got involved with our wedding planning.”
 
“So you had this massive wedding?”
 
Dee's smile was wide. “Oh it was massive. But beautiful. It was fuckin' amazing. Randy's grandparents even gave us a firework display by the Brooklyn Bridge to end our reception. There was a sign hanging from the bridge, congratulating us.”
 
“Well, I think it's all very cool that a family such as your grandparents can go all out for a gay wedding,” Seth said to Ryo. “I applaud them.”
 
“So do I. They were a little put off at the beginning, but they came through full force,” Ryo replied. “And I love them more for it.”
 
Dee made a little gasp, and threw his napkin on the table.
 
“You okay?” Ryo asked.
 
“Yeah. Soccer practice on my bladder. Gotta hit up the men's room again. Excuse me.” He stood up, placing a hand on his swell, feeling the baby kicking.
 
Ryo chuckled. “Playtime for Chibi. That, or Koko's insulted you didn't introduce her yet.” He winked at Dee, aware that the situation was slowly sinking in with Seth.
 
“Yeah, yeah… I'll do the introducing when I get back.” Dee headed off in the direction of the restrooms.
 
Ryo head the fork clatter to the plate as Dee stood up, but did not pay mind to it until Dee was halfway across the restaurant. He also noticed a flash going off from across the floor. He grinned at Seth. “Did we forget to mention Dee's pregnant?” he asked.
 
Seth's head was turned, staring at Dee's retreating back until he was out of sight. His head snapped back to Ryo and just stared, looking to be in shock.
 
“Hey, are you okay, Seth?” Ryo asked, highly amused with the situation.
 
“Dee Laytner is fuckin' pregnant,” Seth announced, a little on the loud side, causing nearby diners to look over at them.”
 
“Dee Laytner-MacLean is indeed very pregnant,” Ryo confirmed.
 
“How? Was this planned? Did you have to donate sperm or something?”
 
Ryo smirked, his eyes on Seth. “Maybe we should wait for Dee to come back. He's still pretty quick as ever taking a leak, but he's had more practice at it in the last few months than usual. You know, with the baby and all. He should be right back.”
 
“Dee's…. Holy shit.”
 
Ryo started to laugh. Seth sat, looking to be in shock, while Ryo laughed until Dee returned and settled himself in his chair. “Sorry about that. I seem to have missed the best part. You alright, Seth?”
 
“You're pregnant!”
 
“Duh.”
 
Ryo broke out in laughter again because of the look on Dee's face when he spoke the single word. He managed to compose himself enough to say to Dee, “Seth asked if I donated sperm to impregnate you.”
 
Dee raised an eyebrow. “Oh yeah, I could say you did that.” He chuckled. Looking at Seth, he asked, “I suppose you mean the clinical way.”
 
Seth nodded. “I'm assuming you both want children, but Randy's not a Carrier, but you are? I didn't know that you were.”
 
“Seth, get real. There's more fun ways to get pregnant than having him shoot off into a cup. Seriously.” He shook his head. “And obviously I am a Carrier. Randy is one too, but his plumbing is slightly clogged, so to speak. But the next one, we're hoping he'll be the one Carrying. When we're ready for a next one.”
 
“So this was planned?
 
Dee shook his head, as Ryo looked on in interest. “I didn't know I was a Carrier until I went to the doctor thinking I had a stomach flu or something and was told I was pregnant. So, yes, this was a surprise to the two of us, but it's a wonderful surprise.”
 
Seth turned his head, his eyes settling on Ryo again. He stared, not saying anything. Ryo could not help smirking. It was obvious to Ryo what was on the other man's mind. From Dee's chuckle, he knew too.
 
His smirk growing, Ryo said, “I don't think you need details. Just looking at Dee should be enough.”
 
Seth paled, and forcing his eyes away from Ryo, he turned to Dee, who was rubbing his baby bump through the lush cotton dress shirt he wore for dinner, as their main plates were served. Dee's eyes lifted from looking down at his bump while murmuring softly to the baby and smiled as his eyes met Seth's. “It would take a very special man to tame me into settling down. He obviously had to be able to reach me in ways no one else could ever. Randy is a very special man.”
 
“And you're obviously disgustingly domesticated,” Seth muttered. “Look at you, bloody talking to that bump of yours. You're freaking me out here, Dee.” He ran a nervous hand through his hair, pulling some strands out from the binding holding it back.
 
Dee grinned. “Look, had we discussed this before I found out, both of us would have said no way either of us would do this. But I ended up getting pregnant anyway, and once I found out, I had no regrets. I still don't. Since then, I realized this is what I want in life. A loving husband and a baby that is of our blood. Technically, this is our second child anyway. We have a 15 year old son that we adopted. Randy took him in during our first case. We were investigating Bikky's father's death. With no mother, he had no where to go, so Randy took him in. I ended up, somehow, helping with his upbringing. So when we moved in together, we jointly adopted him. So I was already domesticated long ago, since I'm already a father. Had been for years. Only difference is we're doing this from the start this time, and we created this life.”
 
Seth's eyes got wider. “A son? Bloody hell, Dee, I'm at a loss for words.”
 
Dee's grin was not so warm as he stated, “Just say, Congratulations.”
 
“Congrats. Excuse me. I think I need to use the loo.”
 
Dee and Ryo watched as he got up and walked toward the restrooms, appearing to be in a hurry.
 
“I would say our night out is almost over,” Dee remarked to Ryo. “I think he realized he stands no chance in getting me back.” He grimaced. “And I'm beginning to suspect that he has issues with Carriers.”
 
“You get that feeling too?” Ryo asked. “I did notice that is what's lacking in the photos of his that I saw online this afternoon.”
 
Dee shrugged. “At least it looks like once we're done here, we can go home and I can get into a warm bath and crawl into bed at an early time.”
 
Ryo took Dee's hand and squeezed.
 
“Don't feel sorry for me, baby. It was over a long time ago between him and me. I got over him and moved on. Now I have you, and I have no intention of this ever being over. I just feel sorry for him if he can't accept Carriers.”
 
Ryo opened his mouth to say something, but noticed Seth start coming back toward them. He motioned to Dee, and both men started on their meals. They looked up to acknowledge the other man when he sat down. Seth picked up his fork and knife, started to cut up his filet mignon, then set the fine silver utensils back down next to the square blue china dish. He grabbed his wine glass and drained it, and then let out a sigh.
 
“So, what happened to Tony?” Dee asked casually, then placed a piece of his broiled miso duck into his mouth. His piercing eyes bore into Seth, waiting for a reply.
 
“He wanted children. I didn't. Especially the way he wanted them.”
 
“The natural way?” Ryo asked between bites.
 
“It's not natural,” Seth commented hotly.
 
Dee raised an eyebrow. “I'm sorry,” he simply commented, and went back to eating his dinner.
 
Seth sighed heavily and rested his arms on the table, alongside the plate. “Look, I'll admit I was still hoping to get you back, even if you're with Randy here. It's obvious that's not going to happen. You're too into this thing you have to even be tempted.” Seth glared at Dee. “Besides, you're in no condition to be taking up another lover, aren't you?”
 
“Meaning?” Dee asked, his eyes meeting Seth's.
 
“I dumped Tony because I wasn't going to involve myself with a damn freak. The last one I thought would ever be one of those were you, so I came back. Now….” He gestured toward Dee's bump. “So you turn out to be one of those too. So if you will excuse me, I suddenly lost my appetite and don't feel much like talking. If you like, I can pay for this.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Just go. If you feel that way about Carriers, and about Dee because he's having our baby, then just get up and get the fuck out of here as fast as you can. Because I've heard enough and I'm holding myself back here.”
 
Seth studied Ryo's face for a second, seeing the raw anger that was visible. “Fine. I guess you both deserve each other. Congratulations. Freaks belong together. It was nice seeing you again, Dee. It's a shame though that I now have a different opinion of you.”
 
Dee's eyes narrowed. “You can keep your biased opinions to yourself. But yeah, I'm not who we both thought I was back then.” He stood up again, thrusting out his prominent baby bump, and placing his hands on each side. “This is me, Seth. Married, pregnant and loving it. Of course, as I keep saying, it's all because it's with the right man. Something you were never able to be. Good night, Seth.”
 
Seth glared at Dee, and then Ryo, as if the older detective was to blame for how things turned out that evening. Ryo mused that in a way, it was true. It was because of him that Dee found out what he really wanted in life, and was getting it all.
 
They watched as Seth stormed out of the restaurant.
 
“Well, that went well,” Dee commented, sitting down and picking up his fork and knife, and started to eat again.
 
Ryo placed his finger under Dee's chin. “Dee, turn around. Please?”
 
Dee hesitated for a moment, but finally relented. Ryo could see the pain and hurt in Dee's eyes. Anyone else would not have noticed, since Dee wore an impassive face, appearing to be intent on finishing his meal and going home to get comfortable. “Dee, sweetheart. Don't start believing him.”
 
Dee shrugged. “You'd think I'd be used to this by now, huh?” He looked down. “It doesn't matter anyway. It's not going to stop me from going on with this pregnancy to the end. It won't stop me if it happens again. I might hesitate when it's your turn, because I'd hate for you to be subjected to this bullshit.”
 
“One, being a Carrier is not a freak. You are not a freak. Our baby is not a monster. Two, I refuse to allow freaks like him stop me when it's my turn to give you a child. Understand?”
 
Dee nodded.
 
“Dee.” Ryo's voice was firm, commanding Dee to look up at him again. “You're beautiful. You're handsome, sexy and so fuckin' gorgeous. Especially now, so swollen with our little Koko. Don't you ever let someone make you think otherwise. Or you'll have to deal with me. After I kick their ass for making you starting thinking such crap. Got it?” When Dee nodded this time, his eyes met Ryo. “Now, I love you. More than anything.” He leaned over to tenderly kiss Dee, his hand going up to rest on Dee's neck, fingers digging into tense muscles. “Do you want to get the rest of this to go? I'll feed you while you take a nice bubble bath.”
 
Dee giggled. “Yeah. I think that sounds wonderful. I do want to go home. I want to get comfortable and mold myself to you - as much as I could with the chibi here, and just forget the rest of the world for a while.”
 
“Your wish, my command.” Ryo grinned and kissed Dee again. When he pulled away, he lifted his other hand to snap his fingers, much in the fashion he had watched his grandfather whenever they ate in restaurants together. “Waiter!” he called out.
 
Less than ten minutes later, Ryo was escorting Dee out of the restaurant, after assuring Basil that they would be back again, but it turned out to be a bad night, while carrying the paper shopping back with the restaurant's name on it, with the rest of their dinner. Once they got outside, even if it was a nice evening, and it would have been a nice walk home, Ryo hailed a cab and settled Dee in the back. He got in after Dee, setting the food carefully between his legs on the floor and pulled Dee into his arms, kissing the younger, upset man and murmuring words of love until the cab stopped before their building.