Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected III ❯ All Hell’s Breaking Loose ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected III
Chapter 6 - All Hell's Breaking Loose
Word Count: 8231
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read! Cursing, mature themes, graphic insinuations of violent death.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
Summary: The aftermath of Taylor McFadden's sentencing.
Notes: For those of you unfamiliar to the Orson Welles reference, in 1938 a radio broadcast of “War of the Worlds” pitched a nation into panic. For more on it go here: http://www.transparencynow.com/welles.htm
ETA: Because I'm an idiot, I forgot to thank gracie_musica for taking on the task of beta for this. Thanks sweetheart! *hugs*
 
# # # # #
 
June 9, 2006

“Excellent job to everyone on the Caully Gregor case,” Commissioner Rose spoke to the CHCU. The Commissioner had entered the squad room first thing Friday morning to give the unit an update of the last few days' activities, and what they would face in the next few days.

Chief Smith, who was standing in a corner of the squad room, nodded in agreement. “You saved a young man. I'm sure Dee will be pleased to hear how well you've done.”

JJ frowned slightly. “We almost lost him. If we got to Caully's house any later, he would have been dead.”

“Would have, is the operative word,” Diana pointed out. “He isn't. Everyone moved quickly and efficiently once we got the warrant.”

“Which was the problem in the first place,” Rose said. “The delay had nothing to do with you and everything to do with the red tape obtaining the warrant. If it was not for the mayor finding out and stepping in, we might have never gotten that warrant.”

“Whatever convinced the mayor to help us out?” Marty asked, confused.

Diana smirked. “Rumor has it she got a phone call concerning our little problem.” She looked over to Rose.

“I have no idea what you're talking about,” Rose stated, but gave Diana a sly grin. “It's not important,” he waved off. “What is important is the fact that we got our warrant, Caully received proper medical treatment and he'll recover.” He folded his arms, and leaned against the wall. “Also important is that the mayor is willing to sit down with a representative from this unit and discuss shortcomings Carriers have to face. There will be more on that once I hear more from the mayor.”

“The mayor is going to come here to speak to us?” Andy asked, sitting up.

Drake shook his head. “Don't count on it. Most likely we'll have to go over to City Hall. Or should that be one of us will.”

“Most likely Dee,” JJ pointed out. “Isn't that super? First Dee was on national TV, and now he'll get to speak with the mayor.”

Rose cleared his throat. “I have no idea who would be meeting with the mayor. We're supposed to find out more next week. For the rest of today, however, we're going to concentrate on Taylor McFadden, the last of Carrier Inc. to be sentenced. Drake and JJ, you are scheduled to take the stand. Remember we are pushing for maximum sentence. As you know, George Walters, the one who technically was our serial killer, received life and has long since been transferred to a high security prison. The others working for Carriers Inc., however, have only received fifteen years with option for parole.”

Diana rolled her eyes. “All because they did not do any of the killings, and there was no proof that they had injured the victims in any way.” She shook her head. “You would think that all those counts of kidnapping would produce more than 15 years.”

“The problem was not having enough evidence and the judge who handled their arraignments is believed to be anti-Carrier,” Rose commented. “We have no legal evidence to cry out a mistrial, despite rumors of hearing him speak against Carriers.”

Andy looked up from a file. “There is no crime to not accept Carriers, which is what Judge Blaron does. However, no one has heard him say anything to indicate harm to Carriers.” Andy shrugged. “He just doesn't like them.”

“Thank you for that, Detective Rozinsky,” Chief Smith grumped.

“I'm just stating the facts as they are, Chief, before they get clouded,” Andy defended.

“It's not a crime to not like Carriers,” Diana said, stepping in. “Which is why we have clowns like Richard running around. I wish it was different.”

“If that was true, then we'd be no different than those who are against Carriers,” Andy pointed out.

Drake frowned. “No one is saying anyone who does not like Carriers should be wiped off the face of the planet, or placed in quarantine work camps. Or even be crowded into a rocket and sent out into space, like some anti-Carrier groups are starting to say.”

“I know that,” Andy remarked, looking frustrated. “I'm just saying….”

“Please don't, Rozinsky,” Rose demanded. “Just remember which side you're on here.”

“There's nothing wrong with knowing both sides of the story,” Andy said.

JJ jumped up from his desk. “Don't you think we already know both sides? Do you really think Dee did not have to deal with enough because of that stupid propaganda those groups go on about?” He slammed his hand down on the desk, causing everyone to jump, and Andy to flinch, since JJ's temper was directed at him. “I don't care if they wish to inflict physical harm on a Carrier or not, but every time we let one of them get away with their BS, we are allowing them to spread hatred. And if that isn't harming someone, than what would you call it, Andy?”

“I'm only saying. That's all,” Andy said. He started to stand up. “I'm on your side. I was the one who gave birth to my son.”

“You have a funny way of showing it,” JJ commented as Andy walked across the room toward the door.

“Where are you going, Rozinsky?” Chief demanded.

“Time out,” Andy replied.

“Fuck that time out shit of yours,” Chief said, detaching his wide bulky frame from the wall and looming toward the young detective. “You sit your ass down and shut up. You look and listen, but if you open your mouth again, make sure it's something that will help our case.”

Andy shrank back from the Chief, and sat down. He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms, not looking happy at all.

“Now, as I was saying,” Rose continued, glaring at Andy before giving his attention to the rest of the unit, “back to the McFadden case. Because of the minimal sentencing everyone but George Walters received, we realized we would encounter some trouble sentencing McFadden. It took us a while to get an original date, but we had it dropped because of the judge who was to preside over the hearing.”

“Judge Blaron?” Ted asked.

Rose nodded his head. “Exactly. So we kept putting off the hearing until we got a more partial judge. However, Judge McCloskey is still not convinced that heading an organization is enough for a life sentence.”

“You do realize that had been part of a gang or head of one of the organized families, it wouldn't make a difference if she spilled blood or not,” JJ pointed out.

“Exactly my point,” Rose agreed. “No difference as far as I'm concerned. She headed an organization that inspired terror and fear for Carriers throughout New York City and even as far as the suburbs. Even our own unit felt it, while we worried about Dee. Because of her, there are families still grieving the loss of loved ones. While all of the people who came to work for her are capable of killing and kidnapping, it is our belief that they would not have done it more than a time or two. There would have been no serial killings by George Walters had Taylor McFadden not provided him with the means. I want you, Drake and JJ, to remember that while you are on the stand. Any one of the remaining personnel of this team might also be called to appear in the stand. Should that happen, it is imperative to keep that in mind. I'm certain that questions will come up about Dee, most notably by our ADA. Answer them honestly and genuinely. It's okay to let it be known that her organization caused Dee to be in fear, and also remember Ryo's anguish. Dee already talked about it in his interviews, admitted he was scared. Hell, we were all scared at some point or another. That's fine. Let them know that.” Rose paused to give each member of the unit his individual attention. “Because that's what real heroes are, gentlemen. Continue to do what you have to and believe, even when you are scared.”

“What about Dee and Ryo?” Dominic Romano, Diana's partner asked. He was invited to be part of the meeting because he was part of the team for the investigation of the Carrier Killer.

JJ smirked. “They're unavailable,” he commented.

“The Laytner-MacLeans are out of town until tomorrow evening,” Rose said. “Therefore, as JJ just said, they are unavailable. Unless this drags on into next week. Dee and Ryo are scheduled to return to work Sunday evening. Any other questions?” he asked, his steely gaze settling on Andy.

“No sir,” Andy remarked, shrinking back into his chair.

“Good. The hearing is scheduled to convene immediately after lunch, so I want everyone down at the courthouse by 12:30. Any potential calls for assistance will be routed through Chief Smith, who will make a determination whether to send someone out or to wait until after. That will be all.”

The unit watched as the Commissioner left. Diana turned to them. “I'll be seeing you after lunch, too. There's something I need to discuss with Berkeley.”

JJ rolled his eyes. “Oh please. If you two start acting like Dee and Ryo, I'm going to be sick.”

“You saying that Dee and Ryo make you sick?” Ted asked, amused.

“Not at all. But heterosexual displays of the same I might find offensive,” JJ commented, trying not to laugh.

“Oh you!” Diana huffed. “Why can't we all get along?”

JJ grinned at her.

Diana shook her head and left the office.

~+~

“There was something you wanted to tell me in private?” Rose asked as Diana entered his office and locked the door.

“Yes. It's about Richard.”

“I am hoping you are not about to say you decided to go back to him.”

“Don't be silly. Quite the opposite, in fact. I was able to have someone pull up some interesting information about him. I never knew until now that he belongs to the Chicago Vandenburgs.”

Rose gazed up at Diana thoughtfully. “I assume there is a point, other than his making a cheap crack about your current living arrangement.”

“Indeed.” Diana sat on the corner of his desk. “I have operatives still working on obtaining hard evidence, but you might find this interesting. He is actually twice removed from the central family line, however he has fallen into good graces with his cousin, who is current head of the Vandenburg fortune. The name doesn't ring a bell?”

“I vaguely remember them from back in the day of my mother's who's who parties.”

“Indeed. I have seen enough of them invade my house while growing up. I'll bet so has Ryo, since until earlier this year, they had been discussing a business partnership with the MacLean family.”

Rose frowned slightly. “Where is this going?”

“The Vandenburgs pulled out of some lucrative deals in Europe because the MacLean family apparently turned Carrier-friendly. Sources close to the family claim that the Vandenburgs did not want anything to do with Carriers. Since Ryo and Dee's wedding, they have been making more noise over there in Chicago. Word has it they are planning to discredit the MacLeans because they had embraced Dee into the family.”

“That's preposterous,” Rose scoffed. “I'll bet someone in that family has the Carrier gene, but they don't realize it.”

Diana nodded. “Just like the MacLeans. Just like any family. Only after Ryo and Dee's wedding did some of the last two generations of MacLeans admit to marrying someone, knowing they have the Carrier gene. Ryo and Dee are not the only MacLeans who are Carriers. They're just the first known ones.”

“Our family has a few Carriers in France,” Rose stated. “No one has been an active Carrier, but the gene has been passed down for at least three generations over in Europe.”

“I think the MacLeans were being silly to claim they were Carrier-free, and I applaud Ryo's grandparents for openly standing up for Ryo, and taking a Carrier-friendly position. However, unfortunately, that does give them enemies.”

“I'm certain Franklin MacLean is used to that by now, long before Carriers came up as conversation in their family,” Rose assured her.

“Of course. However, when I say MacLean, I speak of Ryo's grandparents and those closest to them. The family has been split since the wedding.” Diana smirked, looking amused. “Rumor has it that several of the older members have `seceded' from the family.”

“Really? How interesting.”

“Indeed. They went to liquidate their family stocks to put into other ventures only to discover they no longer owned family stock. Their holdings had been bought out from them.” Diana's eyes met Rose's. “Not long after the wedding.”

“Any idea who bought it out?” Rose asked.

“Not a clue, but I have reason to suspect we should be finding out soon enough. However, that's not the main point here. Those members have since started to reach out to other families of influence, most notably any who have a dislike for Carriers. The Vandenburgs have graciously opened their arms to accept these MacLean deserters.”

“I take it this is a problem?”

“Yes. They have joined forces not only to discredit the MacLean family, attempting to cause them to lose their fortune, but they are also working together to bring down all Carriers - worldwide.”

Rose's eyes went wide. “How do they propose to do that?” he asked.

“Conspiracy theory.”

“Excuse me?”

“I found out that Richard has been working through family influence to obtain original records of the Carrier Project from back in the 1930's.”

“To prove what? That they were able to genetically alter male physiology so they can conceive and carry children to term?” Rose looked highly amused.

“Worse than that.”

“That most of the original test subjects were recruited under lies and false pretenses? That prisoner of war camps and hospitals were used to obtain more unwitting test subjects during World War II? And as a result, the baby boomer generation was the largest swell in producing Carriers?”

Diana shook her head, her mouth a thin line. “Much worse than that.”

“So which conspiracy theory are we talking about?”

“What you mentioned is not conspiracy theory at all. It's all public information, even if it took a few decades before the truth came out. Apparently the Carrier Project is being clumped in with other theories of so-called existing projects, such as the Philadelphia Experiment.” Diana took a deep breath. “Or even Roswell.”

“Roswell?” Rose frowned. “What would Roswell have to do with it?”

“Plenty, according to some. Richard has been heard talking about Roswell not being man's first contact.”

Rose started to laugh. “This is assuming we are calling Roswell first contact, if we're talking extraterrestrials.”

“They are talking exactly that. Apparently Richard is claiming to have obtained information claiming original researchers have had a little outside help, dating as far back as the turn of the century?”

“You have got to be kidding me?”

“I'm afraid not. I don't have specifics, but presumably Richard does. And he intends to meet with influential people to do something about it. My sources state that the Vandenburgs are even planning to do a documentary to get worldwide attention to it.”

“True or not, there are always the crazies who will embrace it, unfortunately. That could be disastrous for Carriers everywhere.”

“And that, I believe is Richard's plan.”

“He has to be stopped,” Rose commented. “But damn if I can figure out how.”

“Don't worry. It's being worked on as we speak, but it might take a while.”

“Hopefully not longer than it will take for Richard and his cronies to spill this trash into the public light.”

“I know. Do you still feel like lunch?”

“I made reservations for us at the Marriot. It would be a shame to allow Richard to be the cause of us canceling our plans.”

Diana smiled at the Commissioner. “Agreed. We should be going soon.”

~+~ ~+~ ~+~

“Today in Manhattan Supreme Court, Taylor McFadden, the CEO of Carriers Inc. was sentenced to 25 years. Ms. McFadden headed the company that lured Carriers through an internet website. When a representative of Carriers Inc. met with an unsuspecting victim who believed they would find solace and understanding, they would abduct the victim and kill him. George Walters, the confessed killer, has received a life jail sentence last month. While members of the NYPD and FBI pushed for McFadden to receive the same, she was sentenced for abduction. There was outcry at the verdict. It is asked if 25 years is sufficient for the multiple cases of kidnapping McFadden was responsible for. And why not find her guilt as a murderer? Commissioner Berkeley Rose of the 27th Precinct, has this to say about it.”

Dee shook his head, leaning against the back of the couch in the house's family room. The room had bay windows looking out at the deck that went around the house and the grove of thick pine trees separating the house from the house next to them that was located at the corner of Fire Island Blvd and Beach Hill Walk. He was curious to see what had become of the sentencing that day, but had promised Ryo not to call anyone. While they were on Fire Island, it was their getaway. Dee looked up to find Ryo standing in the arched doorway, holding cold drinks, and frowning at what he heard.

What the Commissioner had to say did not surprise either men. Not only did they know his stance on the issue very well, but Dee had sat in on preparatory PR sessions in the weeks before.

As Ryo sat down next to Dee, handing the pregnant man a glass, the news report had moved from Rose, to various people on the streets of New York City. Most were in support of Carriers and had strong opinions on how easy the woman had gotten off. A few were Carriers, who spoke passionately of being just like everyone else, and how they felt that the judge was clouded by the victims being Carriers.

With his arm around Dee's shoulder, pulling him close, Ryo sat as quiet as Dee while they watched as the news continued, focused on the hearing. The faces on the TV became familiar as they watched people the two detectives had spoken to, bringing bad news to their families that a loved one was never coming home. Heartbroken parents, siblings and spouses of those victims lucky enough to have the loving support of family poured their hearts out, while they spoke, declaring 25 years was not enough.

Ryo heard a soft sound coming from Dee that sounded suspiciously like a sniffle. Ryo twisted his head to he could see more of Dee's face and the silent tears going down one flushed cheek. Ryo knew the other side of Dee's face would be the same. He placed his glass on an end table, and then took Dee's from the other man's slightly trembling hands to set next to his. Ryo wrapped both arms around Dee, the dark haired man turning slightly to press his face into Ryo's shoulder as he started to softly sob.

“It's okay, Dee. There's still the chance they can prove she murdered her husband. That has to be at least another 30 years.”

Dee nodded into Ryo's shoulder. “I know. Sorry. I'm just so….” Dee lifted his head, wiping his eyes with his hand. “Yes, I'm disappointed that is all that bitch got. But also, it's over now. She's been sentenced and is probably on her way to her new `home' where she'll spend the next 25 years or more, depending on the trial in Hartford.” He indicated toward the television, where the ADA was currently speaking. “I felt their emotion. Those families. Closure. Time to move on. Only without two members of their families.” Dee's eyes sought out Ryo's. “Most of the vics, had they lived, the babies would have been born by now. I'm sorry, I'm a mess right now.”

“I understand,” Ryo softly said, kissing Dee's eyes. “I know. I spoke to those people too. I've had to deliver bad news before, but going to each of those families were the hardest ever. I'm never going to forget it.”

The report changed back to Rose speaking more, offering condolences once again to the families who assembled outside the courthouse, awaiting the decision.

“Mayor Sheila Blum came out to offer condolences to the shattered families of this most horrific hate crime,” the perky blond on the scene reporter said, and the camera turned to the mayor, who stood among the families, along with her husband and children. Her oldest son, a good looking young man of 24 looked especially distraught as he hugged family members.

“He's taking it hard,” Ryo observed as they continued to watch the broadcast.

“Rumor has it he's a Carrier,” Dee said, his voice still rough from his breakdown. “And that he's pregnant.”

Ryo looked at Dee in surprise.

“I'm sorry. I was told in confidence on Tuesday, just before things got busy.” He shrugged. “Being that the mayor is expected to make an announcement of his pregnancy and upcoming marriage to the other father shortly after the conclusion of the trial, I don't think it matters to tell you now.”

“Who told you?” Ryo wondered as the mayor spoke out, expressing her own vexation at the verdict, stating with vehemence that had it been her on the bench everyone involved with Carriers Inc. would have gotten life. Simple.

“There is no place for hate in this world,” the mayor said to the TV cameras. “Be it race, sex, religion, sexual orientation or Carrier Status. I can't control the rest of the world's decision, but as long as I'm mayor of this fine city, you can be sure that there will be freedom and equality for all.” The camera panned away from the mayor and a shot of the Statue of Liberty in the New York Harbor filled the screen. “That is the New York way. That is the American way.” the mayor's voice emotionally declared as the image of Lady Liberty flashed across the screen.

“Gilbert Blum,” Dee replied.

“The mayor's son?” Ryo asked amazed.

“He called me while you were out, wanting to thank us for everything we did, and then he told me that he admired me for standing up against odds to continue doing what I love while bringing a child into the world. His words more or less. He told me not to say anything until after the hearing was over, even to you, and ended the call saying I would be hearing from his mother at some point soon after today.”

Ryo pulled away, staring at his husband. “Holy God, Dee! The mayor's son calls you and you were able to keep it quiet from me?”

“I promised him. I'm sorry.” Dee looked chastised.

Ryo grinned and hugged Dee again, kissing him briefly, but filled with love. “I understand. I'm proud of you. Keeping confidence like that is important. The mayor's son.” He glanced at the screen where the cameras panned around the assembled people at the courthouse, including other reporters and photographers. “Hey, there's Elena.”

Dee laughed. “Notice we didn't have to ask if she'd be there covering events, and yet we both knew, huh?”

Ryo grinned. “That's because we know that crazy woman,” he agreed. He kissed the side of Dee's head, his hold tightening just a little more, thankful that he was not one of those bereaved families gathered in downtown Manhattan.

“Look, there's JJ and Drake,” Dee pointed out. “Oh no! They're going to allow JJ to speak.”

Ryo groaned, but as the two men watched, they felt pride for their best friends who were giving their thoughts on the case as a whole, and their feelings on the sentencing. Their pride extended out to the rest of their unit, who stood behind them, with the Commissioner off to the side with Diana and her newly formed FBI unit. Next to Rose was the Mayor Blum.

The reporter asked where were Dee and Ryo, their absence noticed.

JJ grinned mischievously into the cameras. “The Laytner-MacLeans are currently out of town, and unable to be reached for comments.” He turned serious. “This trial has not been easy on Dee. Ryo felt Dee needed a getaway to relax. We don't want anything to happen that could jeopardize the little one, do we?”

The reporter agreed with JJ. She made a few more comments and turned the broadcast back to the studio. The serious looking man in a suit looked into the camera. “Our sources have discovered that it is also a holiday for the two detectives. Detective Dee Laytner-MacLean has the distinction of being the first detective in the NYPD, and most certainly the most famous of those who serve and protect, to Carry a child while remaining on active duty, and has become somewhat of a figurehead to the New York Carrier community.”

Now there were various Carriers around the city, talking about their feelings for Dee and what he means to them. Dee started to flush, overcome by the beautiful and moving things being said, but the slow growing grin warned Ryo that once again he was going to be impossible to deal with for a while again.

“There has been reports of Detectives Dee and Randy Laytner-MacLean being seen in Cherry Grove and the Fire Island Pines, on Fire Island, this past week. An eyewitness reported that they were celebrating their third anniversary of becoming a couple, the anchorman droned on. “There will be more on this case that affected a city after a few words from our sponsors.”

“Don't,” Ryo groaned as Dee looked at him, a huge grin on his face. “Don't even go there.”

“I didn't do a thing. Except for what I believed in,” Dee defended.

“Exactly. So don't you dare go through the next week acting like you're some big damn hero.”

“No?” Dee asked as commercials played on.

“No. Not even with me.” Ryo cracked a small grin. “Except, well, sometimes. When it could be fun.”

“Oohh… I like the sound of that!” Dee exclaimed.

“Come here, Mr. Detective Carrier Hero,” Ryo stated, crooking his forefinger.

“Whaddaya want?” Dee asked, moving close.

“This.” There was no further sounds through the remaining commercials except for soft sighs and kissing.

They pulled apart slightly as the news came back on. Dee reached across Ryo for his drink and settled with his back against Ryo's side, content to have his husband's arm around him. Ryo picked up his own drink as they watched the anchor turn the report over to another female reporter.

“Sunday evening there will be a candlelight vigil in Strawberry Field in memorial of those who had lost their lives as well as the unborn babies that will never get a chance to live,” the tall brunette reporter read from a prompt. “The event is sponsored by the Carrier Coalition for Human Rights.”

“We should go,” Ryo decided.

“I was going to say,” Dee agreed.

“While record turnout is expected on Sunday night, there are those who still oppose Carriers. Their talk is old, many would say. The same things heard over the decades as the fights for Civil Rights struggled, as well as for Alternative Lifestyle Rights. Once again religious groups are quoting the Bible, claiming Carriers are the unholiest of the unholy.”

Dee rolled his eyes in annoyance. “Why, in this freakin' country, do we allow those religious idiots to input decisions made by state and nation?” he asked.

“Because this is American, land of the free.” The sarcasm was evident in Ryo's tone.

“There's a fine line in expressing religious belief and focusing on one singular religion to control how we think as a people.”

“No argument from me.”

“Ah, of course. `Good Christians', of course,” Dee muttered in disgust. “Leave it up to them, and they'll destroy the fuckin' Earth in the name of God.”

Ryo snorted and then laughed. “Sorry. It's true, but that was funny.”

Dee glanced at Ryo. “I'm glad there are real Christians out there. Too bad they aren't as loud as the others.”

“Well, I know one real Christian with a pretty big mouth,” Ryo said with a smirk.

“Obviously it's not big enough.”

“Not all Christian groups feel that Carriers go against everything in the Bible,” the reporter's words bringing Dee and Ryo's attention back to the television. “Several Catholic Churches have stated their support of Carriers, insisting that God loves everyone. It is no surprise that these churches are the same ones who stood up for homosexuals, and the subsequent Alternative Lifestyle Act twenty-five years ago. With me tonight, speaking on behalf of those churches, are Father Patrick O'Carey and Mother Maria Lane of St. Joseph's Church in the Morningside area of Manhattan.

“Holy shit!” Dee exclaimed, jumping away from Ryo to lean forward - as much as his bulging baby swell would allow - and watch as his mother and the man Dee thought of as an uncle started to speak.

Ryo laughed and quickly balancing his glass between his legs, clapped. “Go Mother! Go Father Pat!”

“Shush.”

Ryo grinned as they listened to two people who were family to them speak out against those who were Anti-Carrier.

“To say Carriers are wrong is to say we will teach hatred to our children. This horrid Carriers Inc. case is proof of what such prejudice can breed. If killing, injuring or just shutting Carriers out of our lives are the Good Christian way, then we are forgetting all about the most important thing the Bible speak out to us.” Mother said after Father Patrick had stated his church, among several others he had listed, were safe havens for Carriers. And that is to love all. Somehow those who oppose Carriers have seem to forgotten the Ten Commandments. Something I teach my children at a very young age, and do what I can to assure they live by them.”

Dee frowned a little. “Thou shalt not kill,” he intoned, appearing to be imprinted in his head, just as Mother had said was true of her children.

“You never killed someone because they were different, Dee. Only when you had, when there was no other way, and it was for the protection of the innocent,” Ryo reasoned, seeing Dee's frown for what it was. “Almost doesn't count,” he added, leaning over to kiss Dee's cheek, remembering how Dee had almost killed in cold blood the man who was responsible for blowing up the orphanage Dee had grown up in, and injuring Mother. “Besides, it's not like there's no blood on my hands. Back in sniper school, I had to come to terms with it. It still didn't sit well after the first time, but then I remembered that we're doing our civic duty. Not religious. We protect Dee. When someone is endangered we do what we must, even kill. No matter their race, religion, sexual orientation, social status. We protect everyone the same, be it the President or a drug addict with a history of shoplifting.”

Dee nodded. “Yeah.” They had missed what else Mother had to say, but Dee was certain it would be repeated, and he made a mental note to record it.

“Mother Maria, I have to ask, but does the fact that Dee Laytner-MacLean is your adopted son have anything to do with your opinions?”

Mother took a deep breath and gazed into the cameras with her kindly but determined eyes. “It is true that some of my feelings are that of a mother, and as such, my heart goes out to those women who lost their sons recently only because the young men dared to bring love and joy into this world in the form of a baby. Dee is not mine by blood, but he came into my life when he was no more than two months old. I sat up with him, changed his diapers, fed him and did everything a mother does. While I had other children come and go in my life, most of them to permanent homes with a new family, Dee stayed with me. He would not part from me, and was decided by child protection to be unadoptable to outside sources. Which was fine by me. That decision enabled me to formally adopt my son. He is mine in all ways except blood. I feel what a mother feels for her son - unconditionally. So when Dee came to me stating that he was expecting a child, I was overjoyed. I am going to be a grandmother!” Mother gushed.

People around her clapped and laughed at her enthusiasm, including the reporter.

“I am proud of my son. My pride and joy, I call him. My miracle. But I also feel satisfaction that I did my job as a mother, that I instilled values in him that define the man he is today. Dee knew he could come to me when he realized he was bisexual, and later when he found out he was a Carrier. Because he knew I would love him unconditionally, finding no fault in him for just being him. If you ask Dee, he would tell you that I raised him on the Bible, teaching him about the beauty of love for others, to respect all that is living, because it is a gift from our Lord. It is not up to us to interpret what is wrong and right, because as you can see, there are so many interpretations of it, the simple and beautiful basics have become blurred. I look at Dee, and I know I did my job in teaching him them. He grew up with respect for everyone. He had no prejudices, including those against homosexuals and Carriers long before he realized he was either. So yes, this is partially to do with my son being a Carrier, but not all. It has to do with love. To love all equally. To love each other as we wish to be loved ourselves.”

Dee's eyes were misty as the reported concluded her segment with Mother and Father Pat. “Even if she wasn't my mother, I'd be proud of her,” he said tenderly, smiling at the television. “But to know this is the woman who raised me, gave me a chance at life, I'm in awe.”

Ryo rested his head against Dee's shoulder. “I know. Amazing that remarkable woman is family. I'm honored to call her my mother-in-law.”

“Even if you don't really believe in the Bible,” Dee teased gently as the news broke for more commercials.

Ryo grinned. “Bits and pieces. Along with other of the better parts of all those good books out there. Call me a freelancer.”

Dee chuckled and kissed Ryo. “Must work, because you're a pretty amazing man, you know.”

“Oh? I'm honored, coming from the man of the hour here.”

Dee flashed Ryo a wide, cheesy grin. “Face it. You're married to a big damn hero.”

Ryo groaned, trying hard not to laugh. “Whatever.” He leaned closer and whispered in Dee's ear, “You wouldn't be the big damn hero right now if it wasn't for me and my super sperm.”

Dee's eyes went wide and he fell back in laughter. “I love you, Ryo,” he gasped between laughter.

The news came on again, back in the studio. Another anchor, this one a redheaded woman with a huge smile started to talk.

“Mayor Blum had more to say about Carrier Rights and Protection, as she held a small press conference once she returned to City Hall this afternoon.”

“This is it,” Dee said, grinning.

Dee was correct, as the major spoke about how the city of New York needed to pull together and become an example of what freedom for all truly stood for. Gilbert Blum, along with another man a few years older than him, came to his mother's side. The mayor introduced her son and for the first time publicly acknowledged her future son-in-law. Then the mayor announced that her son was three months pregnant with the couple's first child, and went on about how thrilled she was looking forward to being a grandmother.

Ryo was smiling brightly. “I always did like that woman. So now there's Carriers inside City Hall. Those other idiot groups don't stand a chance now.”

“No,” Dee agreed. “Gilbert's a good man too. He also suggested that we go out on a double date, you and me and him and his partner, and then asked me if I'd be willing to give him advice on being a public figure and Carrying a baby.”

Ryo rolled his eyes. “We're going to have to buy you new hats come this winter,” he sighed.

“Focus on Human Rights is becoming another issue concerning Carriers tonight in a city that is becoming divided at the conclusion of Taylor McFadden's sentencing. While around the city there is relief that she is being transported to federal prison as we speak, along with outrage that the sentences were not long enough, except for George Walters, the self-confessed killer of the many Carriers who faced grisly deaths in the style of a B-rated horror film, there are those who are taking the streets in protest of Carrier Rights. There are claims that Carriers do no deserve Human Rights status because they are not Human. Carriers, are they Human or Not?” She turned the broadcast over to an older anchor in his late fifties, dressed sharply.

“Carriers Inc. Their mission statement was: `To eradicate the world of men who can conceive and carry to term and give birth to babies.”

“To give birth is to go through the long grueling hours of labor until the baby comes through the birth canal,”
a woman stated. “Carriers are incapable of that. There is no birth canal. Therefore they do not give birth. They breed and infiltrate this world with inhuman offspring that is neither natural nor right.”

“Puhlease,” Dee hissed.

“That was the same opinion of Taylor McFadden, CEO of the now defunct Carriers Inc.. The company, if you prefer to call it that, was responsible for many horrific and gory murders of Carriers around the New York City area, and inciting fear among Carriers and their families, not knowing who the next victim will be,” reporter continued. “Tonight, the question is being raised among Anti-Carrier groups of whether Carriers are inhuman, or not even human at all. Reporting from the Roosevelt Hotel, I have Richard Statler, who earlier this afternoon announced his resignation of his post with the FBI. Mr. Statler, can you tell us more about why you decided to give up a lucrative and I'm certain exciting career with the FBI. I understand you were in line for a big promotion within the coming months.”

Dee and Ryo groaned with annoyance once they realized who was to speak next.

“The bastard,” Dee muttered in disgust.

“It's simple, Beatrice,” Richard commented with a plastered smirk on his face. “I found I could not work anymore for an organization that apparently supports being that threaten the very existence of the human race.”

“Is he mad?” Ryo gasped.

“Probably. And all because Diana took our side and allowed you to kick him out of our place by his ass,” Dee quipped.

“Dee, seriously.”

“I'm trying, but give me a fuckin' break already. Threaten the existence of human life, my ass.” Dee rested his hand on his swollen stomach and rubbed in small circles. “Don't listen to that moron, Koko.”

“That's quite an accusation, Mr. Statler,” the reporter, Beatrice, replied, looking somewhat shocked. “Surely a man of your status and intelligence has evidence of what you claim.”

“Indeed I do, Beatrice. Which is why all these fine people you see arriving are here to attend the first convention to determine the non-human status of Carriers on this Earth. I'll admit the gathering is small, as I had just under a week to pull it together, but we already have some luminaries from other countries. Next month we will have our next meeting, and once the location and date is confirmed, you can be certain it will be advertised.”

“What, if I may ask, is your evidence?”

“It took years, but I was finally able to obtain the lost records of Project Carrier from back in the 1930's, when the first Carriers were introduced on our planet. As you know, Beatrice, prior to 1932, there was natural order to our world. For millions of years, as long as there has been man and woman on our planet, it was the natural selection for woman to have the babies. In 1932, that was changed when previous to coming to the project, Alan Gaelstrom, was a normal man. He allowed himself to be genetically engineered and was impregnated and carried a baby to full term. Hundreds of volunteers were then altered to carry children to term. However, the initial project's intent was to limit and control those men to whoever underwent the operation. Something went wrong - dreadfully wrong. The DNA coding of the Carrier gene mutated and was passed onto the offspring of these initial men. Girls born of these men were also able to pass the gene on. It didn't stop there. Those male children who choose to have children the human way - meaning as nature intended, with their wives having the babies - still passed the gene down to their offspring. Did it stop the scientists of the project? No. They did not see failure. They saw a far greater success than they imagined. The experimenting went on for almost three more decades, until the project suddenly just stopped operation in 1959. During that time, many more volunteers were worked on, the Carrier operation was reduced from taking over 16 hours to a minor operation. If you actually define minor as implanting something alien. Amazingly, the initial death rate from rejection was minimal. One would think more of their volunteers would have died from the foreign object now living inside them, or from changes to their bodies because of the altering DNA. The code was introduced to female subjects, who passed on the gene, and in their male offspring there was evidence of the Carrier organ. Over those years, many of the subjects were not aware of the changes made to their bodies. The combined government agencies used prisoners of war across the globe, in concentration camps, and military hospitals, and eventually spread out to government owned hospitals.”

Dee rolled his eyes again. “Blah blah blah…. All that talking and yet he hasn't answered the question. Wind bag.”

Ryo chuckled. “Quiet. I'm sure he'll be pressed to actually answer eventually.”

“You tell us nothing that is not common fact, Mr. Statler. What is it that makes you believe Carriers are not human?”

“The Carrier gene itself. The history of its progress. There is nothing on this planet like it, and yet it was developed during a time span from the mid-1920's to 1932. And here we are today,” Richard continued to ramble on in an authoritative tone, and yet as if explaining to very small children, “lucky to have a space station, but how far from that station has mankind ventured? Not very. Because we don't have the technology yet. And we are still searching for the cure for cancer. It's obvious that those original scientists had some outside help. Maybe even some of those scientists being outsiders themselves.”

Dee laughed. “He's got to be kidding.”

“He's still talking a pretty circle,” Ryo observed.

“He's talking bullshit,” Dee remarked. “And that's coming from me, the one who is not the realist here.”

“At least we agree that it's bullshit.”

The reporter laughed. “One could say it sounds like another conspiracy theory.”

“One could say you're right, Beatrice. However not all conspiracy theories get tossed to the wayside, or forgotten. Some are actually proved as the truth. And that's what I am going to start doing tonight. In a few minutes, I am going to start laying the groundwork to break open the truths behind the Carrier Project's origins in the 1920's, and how they did indeed not only have assistance in the form of extraterrestrials, but that they original organ implanted with the genetic coding was extrapolated from one of the extraterrestrials. That the very thought of men producing these alien offspring goes back to 1897, and a UFO crash in the Blue Ridge Mountains.”

Dee gaped at the TV. “Holy crap, I think Mr. Dick believes he belongs to the X-Files or something.”

Ryo laughed at Dee. “Aliens in the Blue Ridge Mountains, coming to Earth to have babies with humans. Okay, I gotta give him for having a good imagination. He should use his new free time to write sci-fi books.”

Dee chuckled. “Maybe sometime next week, he'll have a press conference to announce he pulled an Orson Welles, and that he was only trying out his new novel on the public.”

“Hey, look. Does that look like Berkeley and Diana entering there in the background?” Ryo pointed out, leaning forward, wondering what was going on.

“Yeah.”

Richard was going on about how the military had captured the aliens and took them to a base, where an exchange of intelligence took place. Upon learning how unadvanced the human race was, the aliens then used their superior technology and placed the entire base under their command. That it was possible the Carrier Project did not come into being through human decision, but forced upon the Earth by visitors from another world.

“Excuse me, but I must ask that this interview is stopped,” Berkeley Rose stated, walking in front of the cameras.

“Commissioner Rose, you have some nerve coming here to stop my spreading of the truth,” Richard protested.

“You can talk all you want about your X-Files theories, but not here, I must insist,” Rose said, and then stepped back.

Ryo laughed. “Hey, you and Rose have that in common - you both watch X-Files.”

Dee gave Ryo a mild glare.

“What is this about?” Richard demanded.

“Richard Statler,” Diana said, flanked by two FBI agents. There was now a cluster of police officers sounding the group. To the side, stood Mayor Blum. “You are under arrest.”

“For what?” Richard sputtered.

“He's guilty of something,” Ryo said. “Did you just see his eyes.”

“Yeah.”

“Aiding Carriers Inc. by providing the funds with the intent to entrap and endanger Carriers,” the mayor's voice accused.

One of the FBI agents forced the cameras to turn off as Diana started to read Richard his rights.

Dee and Ryo found themselves standing, staring at the television as the news went back to the studio. They looked at each other.

“Holy shit,” Dee gasped.

“As much as it's killing me to know more about what's going on, no phone calls until we're in Sayville tomorrow night,” Ryo warned. “Until then, we're still on vacation, and something tells me that we're going to need it before we get back to work on Sunday. I'm going to start making dinner.”

Dee looked a little upset.

“Dee, it's all bullshit. It'll never go far, except maybe to a bunch of people who will make noise no matter what they know. Besides, it looks like they found the Bitch's secret benefactor.”

Dee took a deep breath. “No, I don't believe it, and I have to admit it was entertaining to watch Richard get arrested on broadcast TV. Too bad it wasn't for CNN.”

“Then what's the matter?”

“All that stuff about eye witnesses here and sources giving facts about our vacation.” Dee shrugged. “People who recognize us here have been pretty good about letting us do our own thing. But if we go out tonight, I'm afraid we'll be swamped. And it's our last night here.”

Ryo smiled softly at Dee. “I'm sorry, Dee. But I promise if we stay in tonight, I am capable of making it worth it. And after the baby is born, we still have August to come back for a few days. We'll both still be on baby leave too.”

Dee gave Ryo a tender smile. “You're right. Besides, if what you planned for a private anniversary celebration was any indication, I'm all for seeing what else you can come up with. Okay, we stay in tonight and just enjoy the evening with each other in this beautiful house.”

“Don't forget the tower loft,” Ryo said with a wink. “Now let me look at how our chicken is marinating.”