Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Happy New Year! ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
The Unexpected I
Chapter 25
Happy New Year!
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
Big special thanks to DeeRyoFan and Gracie Musica for all their help with the party!!! I couldn't have pulled this off without them. *hugs*
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
 
While Dee was gathering Bikky and Carol, along with any of the other kids who wanted to join them, Ryo went over to the door, taking another quick mental stock of who they were still expecting.
 
He flung the door open, spreading his free arm out. “Welcome!” he greeted to whoever was waiting on the other side of the threshold. He hardly had the door open when their friends, Pedro and Adriano greeted him in unison. “Ciao Ryo!”
 
Both men were not sure they would make it to the party, last Ryo had spoken to Adriano. Ryo had figured if they had not arrived by then, they were not going to make it. Ryo intended for him and Dee to call them within the next few days and if they could not get together, then they would tell their friends the good news over the phone.
 
Pedro was a friend of Dee's from his coming out days. He had been the first of Dee's male lovers who cared for him, and took him under wing. They loved each other, but we not in love with each other. They knew true love was to be with someone else, and eventually drifted apart.
 
They lost touch with each other, until one day a few months after they had become a couple, Dee and Ryo were shopping on Christopher Street and Dee had noticed Pedro. They talked, introduced the significant other, telling each other than this was it for them. Pedro was very settled down with Adriano, while Dee knew Ryo was the one for him, even if they had been together only for a few months. Ryo felt the same way at that point. Pedro and Adriano were among the few who knew the truth of their relationship. Knowing them had helped Ryo much along the way in accepting his new lifestyle. It was nice having friends who were like them, and able to be open and himself around.
 
“Hola amigos,” Ryo greeted with a grin. “Come in.”
 
Pedro launched himself at Ryo, hugging and kissing Ryo in greeting. “Ryo,” he stated as he pulled away from Ryo, but held onto his arms to look him over. “You're looking good. Where is my Dee-muffin?”
 
Ryo's grin got wider as he led them further into the apartment. “Boy, we need you two about now.” He turned to Adriano, who hugged Ryo and gave him a peck on each cheek. Ryo laughed and returned the greeting. He smiled at Adriano. “Do you know your boyfriend is talking about Dee like that?” Ryo asked.
 
Adriano laughed. To his lover, he said, “I think our Ryo-baby is drunk already.”
 
Dee entered the living room to find the two newcomers greeting Ryo. He looked down to Bikky. “Wait right here, Biks. Seems we have some latecomers.”
 
Bikky nodded. “Sure, Dee. Just hurry it up already.”
 
“Hang tight. Go bother Ted or something,” Dee replied, winking at Bikky.
 
Bikky laughed, and left Dee's side, guiding Carol among the adults, heading for the buffet table and Elena, who was talking to Janet near the table.
 
Dee came up to their late guests, as Ryo hung up their coats. He heard Adriano reply to Ryo's earlier question.
 
“Who do you think doesn't talk about Dee like that?” Adriano asked Ryo.
 
Ryo laughed for an answer, turning to notice Dee going over to give the two a hug.
 
Pedro hugged Dee tightly. “Aw, you're looking lovely, man,” he said to Dee.
 
Dee smiled. “You always say that, you flirt,” he chuckled as he returned the hug.
 
“Hmm,” Pedro said, his eyes still on Dee. “I mean, more than usual. Ryo is treating you very well, yes?”
 
Dee nodded. “Oh, very much so. But you know that.” He smiled at Adriano. “Ohh.. nice to know I'm popular,” he replied.
 
Ryo walked over to stand next to Dee. Rubbing his arm, he remarked to Adriano, “Unfortunately you're right.” He smiled at up Dee. “So long as Dee doesn't act on it.”
 
Dee winked at Ryo. “You know me too well, baby.”
 
Pedro's eyes went wide at the obvious display of affection Ryo was still bestowing upon Dee. Just beyond them in the main area of the living room were all their friends, most of who did not know about Dee and Ryo. Ryo was usually reticent to display any affection other than just friendship around the others. “Oh Ryo, my Ryo!” he gasped. “Just how much did you drink already?”
 
Dee laughed. “Relax. This is nothing. Wait until later.” He winked at Pedro.
 
“Why don't you both mingle with our guests?” Ryo offered. “You already know some of them.” He rubbed Dee's arm again. “Baby, show them where they can get fed and drunk.”
 
Dee winked again at their friends, looking highly amused, before leaning close to Ryo to whisper, “Why don't we make our announcement first?”
 
Ryo nodded. “Well, get them situated and then get back here.” To the other two he said, “Dee and I are getting ready to put on the main entertainment of the evening.”
 
“Oh Ryo, darling!” Adriano gushed. “You never told me you were into public sex!”
 
Dee burst out in laughter as Ryo blushed. “Not that!” Ryo remarked, then laughed.
 
“Well, seeing you and Dee having sex would be most entertaining, since you're both so hot,” Pedro remarked.
 
“Hush you,” Dee remarked, then checked if Ryo was okay. “They're just joking, Ryo.”
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah, I know how they are.” He winked at their friends. “One day I will get back at you for all I had to take.”
 
Pedro laughed. “Sure, my sweet one. You'll never get back at us.”
 
Dee shrugged. “I wouldn't be too confident. I mean, well, hell, if he can make me blush when he wants to, then there ain't anyone safe if he puts his mind to it.”
 
Adriano patted Dee's cheek. “He can make you blush because he holds the ultimate power over you. The power of love. Just as you have the same over him.”
 
Dee smiled, quickly grabbing Ryo's hand for a squeeze. “Ain't that the truth,” he agreed.
 
“Hey guys,” Ryo said to the two. When he had their attention, he added, “Do me a favor.”
 
“What favor, darling?” Pedro asked, holding Adriano's hand.
 
Ryo's eyes went down to the clasped hands, and then he smiled at them. “Be yourselves.” He winked at them, before shoving them off toward the other guests.
 
Pedro leaned close to Dee. “What got into him?” he asked Dee.
 
Adriano laughed as he shook his head. “Alcohol,” he remarked.
 
Dee laughed too. “A lot of it.” He laughed again. “Come on, let's drink. You two have a lot of catching up to do, if you go by Ryo's example.”
 
Dee lead them over to the table, introducing them to Elena and Rick. Diana walked over with Rose, to say hello to them, having met them before. They were introduced to Rose, who both men knew about from talking to Ryo and especially Dee. They were amazed Ryo and Dee had invited him to their party. He was on the top of Dee's list of people to have a reason to hold a grudge against, and Ryo's feeling toward their boss was only slightly better.
 
Deciding their friends were in good hands, Dee excused himself and started back toward Ryo. “You ready?” he asked Ryo.
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah. Let's do this.” He grinned up at Dee, resisting the urge to take Dee into his arms.
 
Dee took his hand and squeezed it lovingly. They were just about to turn toward their guests calling for their attention when the doorbell rang again.
 
“Holy shit…” Ryo muttered.
 
Dee laughed. “It's a party and we do have some guests unaccounted for. Let me get it.” He walked the short distance to open the door.
 
“Happy New Year,” Vince greeted, flanked by his husband David and their two children.
 
“Hey! Speak of the devil!” Dee exclaimed, shaking Vince's hand. “Come in.”
 
Hearing Vince's voice, Ryo started to smile and walked across the room to the door. “Vince! I was afraid you were going to forget about us.” He reached up to hug the man who was taller than Dee, attempting a Barry-like bear hug on the man.
 
“Are we too late?” David asked, looking amused at Ryo's greeting of Vince.
 
“Nah,” Dee replied. He held out his hand toward David. “You must be David. It's nice to meet you.” He shook David's hand. Stepping back, he made a drinking motion behind Ryo's back, then chuckled.
 
Dee managed to pull Ryo off Vince and barely prevented Ryo from latching onto him. “Down boy,” Dee murmured. “Soon, then it'll be okay.”
 
“I've been hugging everyone else out here tonight. I want to hug you,” Ryo pouted.
 
Dee smiled patiently. “Soon baby. I promise. Behave until then.
 
Vince laughed. “Dee, Ryo, this is my husband David, and our babies Hannah and Jason.”
 
Ryo looked at the man next to Vince, who seemed a complete opposite to Vince. Vince was tall, taller than Dee with light brown hair and a fair complexion. Vince was a hefty type man with wide shoulders and chest. Definitely more a football player than a male obstetrics practitioner. David, on the other hand was shorter than Ryo, his skin a dark chocolate, with black hair and hazel brown eyes. Out of the two men, he was definitely on the effeminate side. Yet, David was the papa of their child, and Vince was the carrier. It showed that when it came to carriers, there was no stereotype. For all he knew, despite their appearance, David could be exclusively top in the relationship. If only other people would get the hint, so they would stop looking at him and Dee strangely. So far, out of those who knew already, most were surprised that either their relationship tipped in the direction that would find Dee pregnant, or those who were not surprised they took turns, but still saw Ryo as the most likely one to carry. Ryo sighed inwardly as he extended his hand to David.
 
“We've heard many wonderful things about you, David. I'm glad you and your lovely family could join us tonight.”
 
Dee was already looking down at the two mulatto children. Vince looked at Dee. Despite his pleasant greeting, it was obvious Dee was correct about Ryo having a bit too much to drink. When Dee met his glance, he grinned.
 
Dee squatted down to shake Hannah and Jason's hands. “We've got some kids about your age in our son's room. How does that sound?” he asked the children.
 
Ryo looked down at Dee and the children. “Aww, they're precious,” he stated about the children. “We heard a lot of great things about you too from your daddy,” Ryo said to the children. “You want to go meet the others you can play with?”
 
Hannah nodded her head, smiling. “Cool!”
 
“I heard a lot about you and Dee,” David said pleasantly.
 
“Yeah, well, don't believe everything,” Ryo said. “Even if we are pains in the asses.”
 
Jason grabbed onto Vince's hand and clung onto it.
 
“Aw, little guy,” Dee said gently. He held a hand out to Jason. “I promise it'll be fun.”
 
For a reply, Jason hid behind Vince's leg.
 
“Aw…” Dee looked at Hannah. “You want to come with me then?”
 
Ryo laughed at the little boy who was peeking out from behind Vince's leg at Dee. “Aw.. shy one, huh?” he asked. Ryo tapped Dee on his shoulder, laughing. “Is that what you looked like at his age?” he asked.
 
“C'mon baby boy,” Vince said, squatting down. Jason crawled onto Vince's lap and wrapped his little chubby arms around his daddy's neck.
 
Dee smiled up at Ryo. “Not so dark,” he replied, then winked at David. He held out a hand to Hannah. “Shall I escort you to the back, milady?”
 
Hannah giggled, looking up at Dee with light brown/golden eyes. “Okay.” She took Dee's offered hand. “Bye Dads!” she exclaimed, waving to them as Dee lead her to where the other children were.
 
“Have fun, Hannah,” Ryo called back as the two men waved to their daughter. “Maybe if we get away from the door some?” he suggested. “Here, let me take your coats.”
 
Vince stood with Jason clinging to him.
 
Ryo smiled tenderly, looking at the little boy in Vince's arms. “He's such a sweetheart. How old are you, Jason?” he asked.
 
After handing Ryo his coat, David stood next to Vince, rubbing Jason's back. He managed to help Vince out of his coat without Vince having to give up his hold on Jason, who had no intention of releasing his hold on Vince.
 
Vince pulled his head back a bit so he was able to look into Jason's face. “Wanna say hi to Ryo, little mouse?”
 
Jason shook his head and buried his face in Vince's neck.
 
“Aww…” Ryo remarked. He looked at Vince. “Perhaps if you take him back there?” he suggested. “Will he be better if he sees the other kids?”
 
Vince and David chuckled. “He's a bit shy,” Vince said.
 
“He's too sweet,” Ryo replied, holding out his hand, trying to get the little one to at least grasp a finger. When Jason buried his head again, Ryo shook his head fondly. “No, huh? Okay. Hang onto your daddy.”
 
Dee joined them with Bikky in tow. “Hey Jason,” Dee called out softly. “Someone here really wants to meet you.”
 
Jason buried his head further.
 
Ryo chuckled, daring to lightly run a finger down the little one's arm. “He's a cutie,” Ryo gushed. He grinned at Dee. “I want one of those.” His grin got wider.
 
Dee laughed. “Trust me, if chibi's anything like me at that age, you will.”
 
Ryo laughed. “If chibi's anything like me, we'll have our hands full.” He smiled at Dee. “I was a very secure, happy and most curious toddler. I got my hands into everything, even if it was childproofed.”
 
“Ah, we're doomed,” Dee replied, then looked down at Bikky who moved closer to Vince and Jason. “Now you tell me this? Could you have said something before I got pregnant?” He winked at Ryo.
 
Vince moved Jason around a little so Bikky can look at him. “Hi there, Jason,” Bikky greeted, amazed to realize that both of Vince's kids were like him - mulattos, born of Caucasian and African-American parents. He waved at the boy.
 
Vince squatted down to set Jason on his feet. “Hi Biks,” he greeted. He indicated toward David with his hand. “This is my husband, David.”
 
“Hi,” Bikky waved to David. “It's neat to finally meet you. Doc Vince is awesome.”
 
David laughed. “Yes, he is, isn't he? Good to meet you too, Bikky. Vince had a lot of good things to say about you.”
 
“Really?” Bikky grinned happily, looking up at Dee, then Ryo, before his attention went back to Jason. He had kept one hand behind his back the entire time. “Hey Jason. How's it going?” He waved again at the little boy.
 
Shyly Jason looked up at Bikky and in a timid voice said, “Hi.” He looked up at Ryo and Dee, then back at Bikky.
 
Bikky removed his hand from behind his back to reveal a stuff animal.
 
David watched on smiling, understanding what Vince meant about this family being special. He immediately liked them and felt comfortable with them. He saw a lot of Vince and himself in Dee and Ryo - both men were overcoming the stereotypes. He had to admit that Ryo was more butch than he could be, but he could tell other people would place the two men in roles. The way they reacted with each other as far as David could tell, maybe the roles settled on one more than the other, but he could see them as reversible too. Both were very strong willed men, with warm personalities. Dee was just a little ragged around the edges. He also noted a warmth and gentleness in Dee that he had seen before in Vince. The type he had never thought Vince capable of until Vince became pregnant with Hannah.
 
Dee and Ryo's family represented diversity. Ryo had his Caucasian/Asian mix, while Dee's features hinted of a mixed parentage, though David could not figure out what other than one of his parents had been Caucasian. Dee's slightly almond shaped eyes could have been more Native American than Asian, which his strong high cheekbones supported, but David could not entirely rule out Asian. The tone of his olive skin could have been one of several races, but there was a hint of some Hispanic origin. The two men adopted a boy of mixed heritage, like David and Vince's own children.
 
Bikky smiled at Jason. “You wanna play with him?” he asked the tiny boy. He moved the animal up and down as if it was dancing.
 
Jason drew further back into Vince, hiding his face and clenching onto his daddy.
 
Vince shook his head, and attempted to gently draw the boy away from him. “Aw, little mouse, look….” He took the stuffed animal from Bikky and held it near Jason. “It's a little elephant.”
 
Bikky barely managed to keep himself from frowning. “Hmm… okay. So you don't like him?” he asked, trying to get the child's attention. “There's more toys if you like. And we're having storytime in a few minutes.” He looked up at Dee. “Dani wants another story read to her.” He laughed.
 
Dee shook his head amused. “Of course,” he said, then chuckled. He squatted down next to Jason. “Storytime is really fun. Do you like stories?”
 
Looking at Dee, Jason nodded slowly.
 
Ryo remained where he stood, smiling warmly at Dee and Bikky trying to make the little boy feel comfortable. He was proud of the man he was going to marry and the boy he considered his son. He winked at Vince and David with a smile.
 
“Well,” Dee said gently to Jason, “you have to go with Bikky here to hear the story.”
 
For a reply, Jason turned around and crawled on Vince's lap again, hiding his face in his daddy's chest.
 
Vince let out a sigh, rubbing his son's back. “Sorry,” he apologized to his hosts.
 
“That's okay, Vince,” Ryo assured him. “You want to keep him with you? We have rowdy drunken police around, but if you don't mind it, you're welcome to keep Jason with you.”
 
David squatted down to rub his son's back. “He just woke up not too long ago and having a shy phase,” he explained.
 
Vince looked at Bikky. “I'll try my luck in the kids' zone, if you lead the way, Biks?” He stood up, getting a better hold on Jason, rubbing the little boy's back in a soothing manner.
 
Bikky smiled up at Vince. “Sure thing, Doc Vince! Follow me.” Bikky happily lead Vince to the back, talking to Vince, who obviously made an impression on Bikky. Not in a way that Dee and Ryo felt threatened. Rather, they felt it was good for Bikky to have other adults as other type of role models other than just themselves. They had a feeling that Bikky realizing Vince's two children being of the same heritage mix as he also excited the boy. He had many friends that could be termed mutts in mixed heritage, but none who had one white parent and one African-American.
 
David leaned over to give Jason and Vince a quick kiss as they passed, heading off in the direction Bikky lead. Dee followed them, smiling back at Ryo before he left.
 
“Well come all the way in and get yourself some food or something,” Ryo offered to David after Vince disappeared from sight with Bikky. “At least come in and join the party. Oh, and there's food for the kids in the back, so Hannah should be set.” He guided David fully into the apartment. “Would you like a drink, David?” Ryo offered.
 
“Yes,” David remarked, then sighed heavily. “A beer would be extremely welcome.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Rough day?”
 
David nodded in reply.
 
“Let me lead you to the selection, then,” Ryo said to David. “My uncle decided we needed a little of everything.”
 
David laughed along with Ryo. “He must be a wise man,” he said, as he walked with Ryo toward the dining area.
 
“Oh, he's the best,” Ryo agreed, nodding. As they approached the tables with the food spread, he pointed to his uncle, who was talking to Jim and Patricia. “And there he is. Rick, meet David. David, this is my wise Uncle Rick.” He winked at Rick, chuckling.
 
David shook hands with Rick. “Good evening, sir.”
 
“Pleased to meet you, David. You're Vince's husband, aren't you?”
 
“Yes, that's me. Woe.” He laughed, feeling at ease with Ryo and his uncle.
 
“Rick and my aunt, Elena, know all about everything. And about Vince and you,” Ryo explained. “And that woman over there entertaining some of my co-workers is Elena.” Ryo shook his head with amusement as he watched his aunt for a moment.
 
Rick leaned close to David so he could speak low. “Maybe you might have some words of wisdom to impart on my nephew there.”
 
The doorbell rang again. Ryo started to turn when Dee entered the dining area. “I'll get it,” Dee said when he heard the doorbell. He rushed across the apartment toward the door.
 
“Oh, plenty, sir,” David replied to Rick. “Plenty!” He grinned at Ryo.
 
“We'll talk later then,” Ryo said, watching Dee open the door. “I'm going over to Dee and say hello to our next guest. Rick, do you mind introducing David around?”
 
“No problem, boy. It's your party, go greet your guests,” Rick laughed. “David and I will make the rounds once I set him up with the beverage of his choice. Perhaps some food.”
 
“Everything looks wonderful, sir,” David said, allowing Rick to lead him to the bar.
 
“Please stop calling me sir, son. You're making me feel old here. Rick will do. Okay, David.”
 
“Yes sir… I mean, Rick.”
 
Ryo laughed and slapped David on his shoulder. “You're in good hands. Enjoy.”
 
He sauntered off toward the door, hearing Rick say to David, “He's a good man, my Ryo. But I'm afraid he'll overdo it with the worry over Dee.”
 
“I understand completely, sir. It wasn't until Vince was carrying Jason that I really got the hang of it,” David explained.
 
Ryo noticed Dee was speaking to someone still on the other side of the threshold and came up to stand next to Dee.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------< /div>
 
Dee opened the door to find Drake and JJ, both with rosy cheeks and red noses smiling at him. “Hey, you okay?” he asked JJ.
 
“Yup,” JJ remarked, bouncing on the balls of his feet, indicating to Dee that JJ's usual jovial mood was back.
 
Drake grinned wickedly at Dee. “We're back,” he said. “And look what we found….”
 
JJ and Drake stepped aside to reveal there was someone else standing in the hallway. Ryo came over and stood next to Dee, studying both JJ and Drake. The relief Ryo felt at seeing the two happy faces was obvious to Dee, who glanced at Ryo for a moment.
 
Dee looked back to see Chief Smith now standing before them. “Hello, boys!” the Chief greeted.
 
Dee jumped back a little. “Ack! Walrus!” he exclaimed.
 
“Laytner!” Chief warned.
 
“Uh.. I mean, sir! I'm glad you can join us, Chief,” Dee corrected, grinning shrewdly at the Chief.
 
Chief Smith wagged an admonishing finger at Dee, who laughed.
 
Ryo jumped from his place next to Dee, but instead of away from the Chief, he moved closer. “Chief! Welcome!” he exclaimed. He threw himself at the Chief and hugged him tightly. “So glad you can make it, Chief.”
 
Chief Smith looked surprised. “Ugh!” He glanced over Ryo to Dee in question.
 
Dee made a drinking motion, pointing to Ryo for an explanation.
 
The Chief nodded, starting to pat Ryo's back gingerly.
 
Ryo pulled back, and looked next to the Chief. “And welcome Mrs. Wal..uh Chief!”
 
“MacLean, enough,” Chief warned. “Off. Now.”
 
Mrs. Smith laughed at Ryo. “Good evening, Detective MacLean.”
 
Dee took a step to help remove Ryo from invading the Chief's personal space. “Nice to see you again, Mrs. Smith. Come in, please,” Dee offered, moving Ryo with him and pushing him out of the way of the door. “Let Ryo hang up your coats.”
 
Ryo glared back at Dee for a moment, before breaking out in laughter. “That's right. I'm coat check. So I'll take all your coats.”
 
The Chief gave Dee a strange look, not used to seeing a very polite and mannerly Dee Laytner. He was very amused at watching Dee try to control an obviously very drunk Ryo MacLean. He was not surprised to find Dee sober.
 
Drake was helping Mrs. Smith out of her coat. The Chief was still studying Ryo in amusement. After handing Ryo his coat, JJ stood to the side, his eyes going between the group at the door and to the party beyond.
 
Dee looked at JJ. “You okay,” Dee asked him.
 
JJ grinned up at him. “Yeah. And you?”
 
“Nervous,” Dee chuckled. “You sure you're okay about this?” He ruffled JJ's hair. “I mean, being here when we spill everything.”
 
JJ nodded enthusiastically.
 
Holding onto JJ and Mrs. Smith's coats, Ryo waited for his supervisor to remove his. Ryo settled the Chief's coat in his arms.
 
Drake dropped his onto Ryo's arm. “Thank you, my good man,” Drake stated, then looked over to Dee and JJ.
 
“Come all the way in,” Dee offered, leading them into the living room.
 
Chief Smith rested his hand in the small of his wife's back to guide her where Dee was leading them.
 
“I hope you're both hungry,” Dee said as they walked. “There's still so much food. And drinks. So just make yourselves at home.”
 
Ryo, having hung up the coats and jogged to join them, came up alongside the Chief. “You didn't have any trouble getting here, did you, sir?”
 
Dee glanced back to the coat rack, making sure all the coats remained hanging and not ready to fall to the floor.
 
“No. Not at all,” the Chief replied. “We had to drop our kids off at Times Square first. Or as close as we could get to it. Traffic is a bitch up that way. Not so easy down here, either. Thanks for the tip off about that parking lot around the corner.”
 
“The best kept secret, that parking lot. Not crowded and cheap. I don't know why,” Dee replied.
 
They entered the dining area, realizing everyone was still talking or dancing and did not notice the newcomers yet. “We did the Times Square thing last year with Bikky. We asked him about this year, but he wanted a party here instead,” Dee replied. “Which worked to our advantage, because he's in charge of our guests' kids too. The usual brand beer, Chief?”
 
“Please, Dee. Thank you,” Chief said.
 
“And you, Mrs. Smith?” Dee asked.
 
“I wouldn't mind a mixed drink.” She touched Dee's arm. “But don't worry yourself over it. I'll get it.” She smiled at Dee. “And I'm definitely going to make sure Warren and I have some of this fine food you boys are providing.” She leaned closer to Dee. “And congratulations, Dee. Warren already warned me.”
 
Dee smiled back at the Chief's wife. “Thank you.” He got the Chief his beer, then poured himself some of the non-alcoholic egg nog.
 
“What's that you're drinking, Dee?” Chief asked in warning.
 
“Made especially for me. But the kiddies got some too,” Dee said, holding up the punch glass.
 
Ryo stood by the bar, staring at the alcohol, but decided to pour himself a glass of ginger ale instead.
 
They all turned when there was a sudden yell of, “CHIEF!!!!!” that came from Ted, Janet and Jim. The three started to head in the Chief's direction, smiling. They looked happy to see him there.
 
Commissioner Rose looked up from his conversation with Diana, Barry and Julie. He excused himself as he stood up to greet the Chief and his wife. Diana smiled as she also stood up.
 
Ryo looked over to Dee. “Any luck with peeling Jason off of Vince?” he asked.
 
“Minimal,” Dee replied, then chuckled.
 
Dee and Ryo watched as all the precinct personnel surrounded the Chief and his wife.
 
Dee glanced at David, who came over to them. “You'll probably be husbandless for a while.”
 
David shrugged. “I'm used to it.” He smiled at Dee to assure him he was fine with it.
 
`Aw,” was Dee's reply.
 
“Vince is going to miss out on the fun,” Ryo said, then looked back at the crowed gathered around the Chief. “Once everyone settles down from Chief's arrival, that is.” Ryo laughed, before taking a sip of his ginger ale.
 
“I think,” David started, “it's because Vince works so much and the little mouse doesn't get to see him that much. So whenever he can, Jason hogs his daddy up.” He chuckled warmly, in a way that showed how much he loved his family.
 
“Well I think Jason's a darling, David,” Ryo said.
 
Dee smiled. “Yeah. He's adorable.”
 
David's smile was brilliant as he nodded his head in agreement. “He's the cutest.”
 
“Hannah is a lovely child too,” Ryo added. “You have a wonderful family.”
 
David smiled in thanks, looking every bit like a proud father.
 
“Hannah's quite cute too,” Dee added. “She's gonna be a heartbreaker.” He looked at Ryo. “She's already buddies with Stewie.”
 
“Oh no!” Ryo exclaimed with a laugh.
 
David grinned proudly. “Thank you. You have a fine start of one yourself, from what I've seen so far.”
 
“Thanks,” Ryo beamed.
 
“Stewie?” David asked Dee. “How old?”
 
“That would be our cousin Stefan. He's eight,” Ryo replied.
 
David nodded. “Sounds about right with Hannah. She's very open. Always had been. Jason is just the opposite. But I love them both dearly. I'm just glad I didn't have to carry them,” David admitted, his eyes on Ryo.
 
Ryo frowned a little. “Well, to be honest, I'm hoping maybe in a few years, I can return the favor for Dee.” He rubbed Dee's arm gently, smiling up at him. “If I'm able, that is.”
 
David leaned closer to Ryo. “We'll talk about that in a few months, Ryo. Let's see if you're still so willing then.” He chuckled.
 
Dee smiled lovingly at Ryo, before looking at David. “He says that now,” Dee said to David. “He wasn't here for most of the Settling.”
 
“Oh, settling,” David exclaimed. “The worst thing ever.”
 
“I wasn't for the first hit,” Ryo admitted. “But I saw enough with the second hit.”
 
“The first was definitely the worst,” Dee admitted.
 
“Dee was alone with our son when it first hit,” Ryo said to David. “Vince is a lifesaver. And I must thank you for putting up with us.”
 
“Oh, no problem,” David said. “It's been a while that Vince came home talking about a patient so excitedly. And even longer that his excitement included the patient's family.”
 
Vince entered the dining area, with Jason still clinging to him. “I hope I didn't miss anything interesting,” he stated.
 
Dee shook his head. “We're waiting for the excitement over there to calm down.” He held a hand out to Jason, trying to coax the small child to hold his hand.
 
Vince stood next to Dee, turning to assure Dee was in Jason's view. “Doesn't want to let go of me. Sorry,” he apologized.
 
Ryo smiled warmly as he rubbed Dee's arm. It was very hard for Ryo not to hug Dee. “See that?” he asked. “You're a charmer even when you're in pain.”
 
Dee snorted. “Aw, thank you. I'll remember that next time I get shot.” He giggled at his joke.
 
Jason's attention was on Dee when he heard the giggle.
 
“Dee!” Ryo snapped. He looked at Dee in concern.
 
Dee ruffled Ryo's hair playfully. “C'mon, baby. I'm just joking.” He still held his hand out toward Jason.
 
“Don't you ever - not while you're carrying that baby and not after,” Ryo demanded.
 
Jason shyly reached out to grasp one of Dee's fingers.
 
Dee smiled as he made the motion of shaking hands with the little boy, his index finger held tightly in a tiny fist. He winked at Jason.
 
Ryo smiled at what appeared to be Dee making a new friend in the shy boy. “And I promise not to do the same.”
 
Dee glanced at Ryo. “That sounds like a plan,” he agreed. His attention went back to Jason. “So, little one, you want to stay with Daddy?”
 
Jason nodded, his movements exaggerated as if to emphasis he had no intention of leaving his daddy anytime soon.
 
Ryo laughed softly. “Dee's always been better with younger ones than I was.” He smirked at Dee. “I guess it makes sense now. But I do plan on brushing up on my charming the little ones skills.”
 
David had picked up a plate and started fill it up. He glanced back at Vince, letting him know that the plate was for him.
 
Ryo rubbed Dee's shoulder. “You feeling okay, baby? You want something small to eat before we get everyone's attention on us?”
 
David came over to Vince, holding the plate. “Baby, why don't you sit down and I'll bring you food and drinks.”
 
“I'm fine,” Dee assured Ryo with a devilish smile and wink.
 
Vince nodded, smiling at David. “Yeah, I will. Thanks, baby.” He leaned over to briefly kiss David before going into the living room with Jason to sit down.
 
Jason looked over Vince's shoulder and waved to Dee.
 
Dee chuckled, waving back to Jason. He realized Ryo was grinning at him. “What?” he asked.
 
JJ stood up to allow the man with the child to sit down. Both Drake and JJ started to talk to Vince, JJ cooing over Jason.
 
“Sure you don't want a cookie?” Ryo asked slyly.
 
“Ooh… cookie! You know my weakness, baby,” Dee said with a laugh.
 
Ryo laughed and joined David at the table to put some cookies on a small plate. He noted with satisfaction that David was also filling a plate for himself, as well as Vince.
 
Ryo came over to Dee, holding out the plate. “For being such a good boy tonight,” he said. He started to lean over to kiss Dee, and stopped himself just in time. “Damn,” he sighed in frustration. “Let's get this announcement over with, so I can kiss you already.”
 
Dee smiled, quickly squeezing Ryo's hand. “Ditto.” He poured himself another ginger ale. “Come on, baby. All guests are present and accounted for. Time to get this show on the road.”
 
“Gladly,” Ryo stated, refilling his glass of ginger ale and going to Dee's side.
 
Pedro and Adriano had already migrated over to join Vince, Drake and JJ, excitedly introducing themselves and cooing over Jason. David laughed as he balanced the two plates and drinks, going to sit with Vince. Immediately he was caught up in the inquisitive questions from the two gay men. They had caught on that this was another male couple who were friends of Ryo and Dee, and they wanted to know more.
 
The group around Chief started to break off into smaller groups as Ryo and Dee entered the living room. The Commissioner had settled on the window seat, seeming cozy with Diana. Dee and Ryo grinned at each other as they noticed the two. Not far away, Richard was talking to Emily. Jim and Patricia were dancing. Drake and JJ were talking to Ted and Janet. Barry and his wife were talking to Chief and Mrs. Smith. Elena and Rick had joined in with the conversation. Carol's Aunt Elina was talking to one of the cops that had accepted the invitation. A few others had gone back to dancing. Bikky, Carol and the boys from orphanage were standing off in the far end of the living room, in front of the door to the master bedroom.
 
Ryo glanced at Dee, who was nibbling on a cookie as he watched their guest. “Are we ready?” he asked Dee.
 
Dee nodded, finishing his cookie and taking a sip of his ginger ale. “Yeah.”
 
Ryo picked up the remote to the stereo. “Okay big mouth, you call attention.” With a chuckle, he lowered the music.
 
“Hey guys!” Dee called out above the talking and laughter. “Let's lower it for a bit. Chief might turn purple if we keep this up.” The level of noise went down a little, but not enough. “Not acceptable work noise, people,” Dee yelled louder.
 
Ryo checked his watch as Dee spoke, noting the time was 10:15. He wanted the exact time as part of his memories he knew he would carry with him for the rest of his life. The time his life would change, when he would start becoming someone else. Or rather, the time he would finally become more himself for all to see. When all their close friends and co-workers will finally learn the truth of his relationship with Dee, and of their plans for the near future. Ryo realized he was more than ready. He laughed at Dee's last remark.
 
“Laytner, as long as you keep your big mouth shut, it can't be too loud,” Chief called out.
 
The guys from the Criminal Investigations Unit laughed, along with Janet, Diana, Riz and Jim.
 
Other than the Chief's comment, the apartment fell almost silent as all attention among the adults were on their two hosts.
 
“Thanks,” Dee said.
 
“Aw Chief,” Ryo replied, “you'd still complain at him for keeping his mouth shut.”
 
Dee burst out in laughter. There was startled laughter among their guests. Dee held out his hands. “Settle down, people. You think this was all for free? You gotta pay for all this great food and drinks by listening to me and Ryo flap our lips for a few minutes.” He glanced over at Ryo. “You wanna do it?”
 
Ryo nodded. He looked around the room, taking in all their guests in a trained sweep of his eyes. “Hey listen up, guys,” he started. “Sorry to say we had ulterior motives for this celebration tonight.” He smiled, his eyes settling on Janet and Riz. “Ladies too,” he added.
 
Dee was grinning widely, almost bouncing with barely constrained excitement.
 
Everyone glanced at Ryo and Dee. There were some knowing smiles among the crowd.
 
Ryo studied the waiting faces before him. He cleared his throat. “Dee and I have some things we wanted to share with all our dearest friends and family,” he said, pleased to hear his voice ring level and clear. “And we couldn't think of a better time than the dawn of a new year.” He glanced at Dee, once again reminded on why it was so easy for him. He wanted everyone to know he was in love with Dee.
 
Dee smiled at Ryo, indicating with a small gesture of his fingers for him to continue on.
 
Ryo chuckled, then looked back at their guests. “Might as well start at the beginning.” He reached out and held Dee's hand in his. “We're sorry for misleading most of you for a long time. Really we are. We had our reasons. But, well, Dee and I aren't really roommates.”
 
Those already in the know smiled at Dee and Ryo. Rick hugged Elena, both proud of their nephew. Carol hugged onto her aunt who gazed at the two at the center of attention with a knowing type of wonder. A few other faces had grins slowly starting, while others stared at them confused.
 
“Well, we do share a room,” Dee corrected in his usual manner.
 
Ted and Janet's jaws dropped, their eyes fixed on them. Diana shook her head, laughing at Dee. Rose chuckled. There were a few surprised gasps and one muffled squeal.
 
Ryo laughed at Dee's interruption. He patted Dee's cheek affectionately. “Yes, we do share a room… and a bed.”
 
“What the fuck?” Ted's shocked voice sounded through the room.
 
There were chuckles and surprised murmurs. Thankfully there was no negativity.
 
“I knew it!” Barry exclaimed excitedly. “Damn!” He gave Dee the thumbs up and winked at Ryo.
 
Dee laughed at Barry's reaction, and squeezed Ryo's hand.
 
Ryo nodded at Barry, then winked at Diana and the Commissioner. He looked around the room again, noticing Janet and Julie smiling with their hands clapped over their mouths, looking as if they were trying very hard not to squeal like schoolgirls. He smiled at them. His eyes settled on Ted.
 
“Teddy-boy,” Ryo called out. “You alright there?”
 
“I need a drink,” Ted replied.
 
Dee held out the hand that was not holding Ryo's. “Wait. There's more.”
 
All eyes were on them in curiosity again. Ryo chuckled. “I did say we had several things to say.”
 
Dee nodded, smiling. “Yup. He did. We do.”
 
There was a near chorus of “Huh?” coming from the collective guests. Except from those who already were privy to knowing.
 
“We're just saying things in an order that'll make sense to everyone,” Ryo explained. “So, secondly.” He had purposely chosen to stand on Dee's left side, so that would be the hand he would end up holding. He lifted the hand, smiling at Dee. “Your turn,” he told Dee.
 
Pedro and Adriano exchanged glances that were not missed by those close by. Other curious glances were exchanged.
 
Dee grinned, looking out at their guests. “On Christmas Eve, Ryo asked me to marry him and I said yes.” Ryo had released his hand. Dee held up his hand so the back of it was to their gathered friends, showing off his engagement ring.
 
Ryo hugged Dee, his smile wide, his eyes on the various reactions of their friends. Dee leaned into the hug, also watching.
 
This time there were a few squeals among the gasps, shouts of excitement and various exclamations.
 
They both looked over to Elina at the same time. She was hugging her niece and gave them an amused smile, shaking her head. Elena and Rick were standing nearby, with Bikky standing between Ryo's family and Elina and Carol. He was grinning widely, bouncing up and down with excitement. Barry and Julie were talking happily, both their eyes on Dee and Ryo. Ted's jaw was hanging, but in a way that said he was more shocked than appalled. Pedro and Adriano looked like they were ready to jump up and rush over to them, both men bouncy and bristling with excitement. The others were smiling and talking amongst themselves. In the far corner, away from everyone was Richard, with a plastic polite smile on his face, but his eyes said he wished he was anywhere but there at the moment.
 
Ryo ignored Richard. He laughed, feeling wonderful and knowing it had nothing to do with how much had to drink that night. From the level of excited chatter in the room, their party now had a real reason to be a celebration as far as their friends were concerned. He watched as slowly everyone was making the motions of standing to come over to congratulate them.
 
“Hold up!” Ryo called out, now the one holding out his hand.
 
“Just a little more,” Dee chuckled.
 
“MORE?!?” was the general question that came from just about everyone.
 
“Yeah,” Ryo laughed. “One little tiny thing….” He giggled at his choice of words, then smiled tenderly at Dee. He watched as Dee placed a protective hand over his stomach. He looked just a little nervous as his eyes met Ryo's. Ryo put his arm around Dee and rested his head against Dee's shoulder. “It's gonna be fine, baby,” he whispered for only Dee to hear. “Look at them. How could they not be happy?”
 
Dee nodded, still look a tad bit uncertain. His hand still rested on his stomach. Ryo had noticed the gesture starting the day after settling, knowing it was more a sign of Dee feeling the slightest sense of potential danger than any look he may or may not have on his face.
 
“Duh!” Ted yelled out. “Spill it! Then we can get our drinks to toast you guys already!”
 
More laughter erupted through the room.
 
“You start,” Dee said, smiling at Ryo. His hand still stayed in place.
 
Ryo nodded, leaning up a little to lightly kiss Dee's nose. Which caused a chorus of “Aww….” He faced their friends, his arm around Dee, reassuring his partner he was there for him. “Everyone here gets to be among the first to say hello to the new addition to our family,” Ryo stated, his voice ringing loud and clear, with a strong hint of pride. He grinned as only a proud Papa can. He turned his head to look at Dee. “Well? Don't go deciding you're shy now.”
 
Dee laughed, shaking his head. “No, not shy,” he stated to Ryo. He looked out at their guests, leaning into Ryo's hold. He jerked a thumb at Ryo. “He knocked me up!” Dee exclaimed.
 
Ryo's mouth dropped, not expecting Dee to make the announcement in that manner. “Dee!” he exclaimed. Then laughed, realizing it was pure Dee Laytner through and through, and he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
 
Dee laughed at Ryo's reply, then harder at the various gasps and stunned exclamations.
 
Ted started to choke on his beer. Janet started to pat Ted's back, her dazed eyes on Dee.
 
There was sudden dead silence for a moment. Ryo noticed Dee instinctively turned so his belly was pressed up against Ryo's side. Ryo had been studying the shocked faces before then and stroked Dee's back reassuringly.
 
Suddenly the room erupted at once. Pedro and Adriano let out a squeal, as well as Elina. Mrs. Smith looked at her husband, smiling knowingly, obvious the Chief had let her in on the secret before they arrived. Jim, Emily and Patricia started to laugh at the others. Jim had been getting it all down on video from the moment Dee first called for silence.
 
Elena stood next to Rick, covering her mouth, glittering eyes on Ryo and Dee. Rick beamed proudly at Ryo. Bikky was barely restraining himself from running over to his dads. Carol was giggling happily, poking at Bikky.
 
Barry stood stunned, staring at Dee in total amazement. “Oh. My. God,” he uttered, his eyes on his friend since childhood. He turned pale, which was quite an achievement being a black man. Julie chuckled, her eyes sparkling as she patted her husband's back.
 
Richard started to frown, glaring at the two men still standing before their friends and co-workers in total disgust.
 
Ted picked up his coughing as Janet squealed excitedly. Other faces went from complete shock to excitement.
 
Drake stood close to JJ, watching him carefully. JJ smiled up at Drake, patting his partner's arm, his smile assuring Drake he was okay.
 
Pedro took a small step forward, looking around the room, before settling his gaze on his two friends. “Is that all now, or is there still more?”
 
“That's it,” Dee replied, loud enough for everyone to hear over the various talking and laughing. “You can go run for your drinks now.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Why?” he asked Pedro. “You want more?”
 
Everyone in the room laughed.
 
Ryo grinned. “Well, yeah… there is one more thing,” he stated. His grin turned wicked as he grabbed Dee into his arms and gave him a kiss.
 
“Awwwww….” Filled the room from everyone but one in the room as they watched Ryo continue to kiss Dee. Dee placed his arms around Ryo and returned the kiss happily.
 
“My eyes!” Ted exclaimed.
 
“Shut up, Ted!” Bikky yelled.
 
Chief Smith laughed at Ted, then laughed harder as everyone joined in at Bikky's reply.
 
Finally not able to stand there any longer, Bikky ran up to his dads as they pulled apart from the kiss. Dee noticed Bikky and leaned down to give him a big hug, which he returned. As he pulled away from Dee, Bikky looked up at Ryo, laughing. “Damn Ryo! You were Da Bomb! Way to go!”
 
Ryo hugged Bikky, laughing. “I was pretty good, wasn't I?”
 
Pedro sprang from his place, pulling Adriano along with him. He gave them both an exuberant hug, Adriano immediately doing the same.
 
“Oh my God, darlings! I'm so happy for you,” Pedro gushed.
 
Adriano gazed at Dee. “Who would have thought it. Honestly, I didn't take either of you for carriers.”
 
Pedro smacked Dee's arm lightly. “Especially you, Dee. But, oh my God! That's fabulous. Oh my! I'm going to have to start working on something special to give the little one.”
 
Dee laughed. “Just no sequins,” he stated.
 
Ted walked over to them. “What the hell?” he demanded.
 
JJ started to go over to them, dragging Drake along. They stopped next to Ted.
 
Ted looked at JJ and Drake. “Dudes!”
 
Drake shook his head amused. “What?”
 
Dee chuckled at the play of various stunned expressions going across Ted's face, hoping Jim was getting it on video.
 
Ted waved a hand at Ryo and Dee. “We're gonna have a CI baby!!!”
 
Dee looked at Ryo and laughed. “Yeah. I guess we are.” He hugged Ryo.
 
Ted shook his head. “Man!”
 
“Hmm, he's right,” Ryo said thoughtfully. “I never gave it a thought until now, but we are.” He laughed.
 
Ted grabbed onto Dee, pulling him into a hug. “Congratulations, man! Holy shit! Ryo knocked you up!” He laughed. “That's awesome, dude!”
 
Dee patted Ted's back, looking at Ryo, Drake and JJ amused.
 
The other guests started to make their way over to Dee and Ryo, giving them their congratulations. The last ones to come up to the couple were Vince and David.
 
Dee shook his head, laughing. “I know you're not giving your congratulations,” he said.
 
“Hey, who is this?” Ted asked.
 
“Oh!” Dee smiled at Vince. “This is my doctor, Vince Siworski, and his husband, David,” Dee introduced loud enough for anyone near them to hear.
 
“Well, I knew their names,” Janet remarked. “I just took them for friends of yours, Dee.”
 
Ted looked Vince up and down. “Dude! You're a MOP? Holy shit! You don't look like one.”
 
David laughed. “And he probably doesn't look like the type to be the one to have our babies either. But there you have it.”
 
“Well, holy crap,” Ted chuckled, then looked at Dee. “If Vince had babies, suddenly you having one doesn't seem so funny.”
 
Dee tried to frown. “Funny? What's so freakin' funny about it?”
 
Ted laughed. “Dude, it's you. Not Ryo.”
 
“Shut up, Ted,” Ryo grumbled. “I swear one more person comes up looking like I'm some type of bottom only twink….”
 
Dee burst out in laughter as he pulled Ryo to him and kissed him to stop the rest of Ryo's tirade.
 
Somebody put the music back on, as Dee and Ryo found themselves making their rounds among their guests, stopping to talk awhile, answering questions about the baby and how Dee was doing. They wanted to know when they were planning on getting married, and a whole lot of other questions. Ryo and Dee happily took the time to answer them.
 
The party was in full swing by the time Dee turned off the music and put on the TV set for Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's for the countdown. Ryo, Elena and Rick had been handing out champagne to the adults. Bikky had lead all the children to join the adults. They were given sparkling grape juice. Elena handed Dee a champagne glass filled with the same. She leaned up to kiss his cheek. “Here you go, sweetness.”
 
Ryo came over to them, holding a glass of champagne, followed by Rick. By then, most of their guests were wearing the silly hats and holding noise makers that Ryo and Dee had set out for the taking.
 
Soon everyone was counting down, then yelling at the top of their lungs, “HAPPY NEW YEAR!”
 
As Ryo reeled Dee in for a New Year's kiss, he noticed Dee's eyes were glistening. He smiled tenderly at Dee.
 
“Oh damn, now I'm going to cry,” Dee muttered before Ryo kissed him, surrounded by they friends and co-workers. They were doing the same to their loved ones. As everyone started to wish the rest a happy New Year, some of the kids from the orphanage had snap poppers, which when thrown on a hard surface made a sharp popping sound. Everyone jumped, then laughed, while Dee glared at Thomas.
 
Dee and Ryo watched as their friends continued the party. Richard had left alone shortly after, muttering. Ryo walked behind Richard to the door, and loudly slammed it behind him, barely giving Richard enough room to clear out of the doorway.
 
Ryo had a few more drinks as the party went on, but was not so drunk he could not help with the immediate post party clean-up. The majority of the food was eaten. Their guests had a wonderful time. As they started to leave, everyone gushed about what a great time they had, once again congratulating the happy couple.
 
The party was a complete and total success.
 
 
A/N: And this concludes the party. Just one more chapter to “The Unexpected I”, and then we move on to a few weeks later and whatever is waiting for Dee, Ryo and their friends as they plan for a baby and a wedding.
 
*HUGS* to you reviewers. You bring big smiles to my face and I thank each and everyone one of you for letting me know how much you are enjoying this fic. You're all awesome!
 
I'm not sure when I'll be posting the last chapter. I need to see when I finally get Ch. 10 finished in the next part. It could be sometime this week or next.
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Everyone, and belated holiday greetings!