Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Night Risk ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The morning meeting was kept short. All the trainees had been informed that a battle simulation was scheduled for tonight at midnight. The objective was to stop invading enemies from attacking headquarters. Van, Irvine, Thomas, and Raven would be the enemies, and the trainees would have to stop them.

"Keep these things in mind when coming up with a strategy: know the strengths and weaknesses of your enemy, know your own strengths and weaknesses, and decide who's in charge. We're not going to help you with anything because this is a test. In fact, we'll leave you alone here to discuss things. After you're done, I want you all to get some rest."

Van was pleased that as soon as he left the room, the group came together in a deep discussion.

"Are they ready for this?" Raven was pleased with their progress, but taking on veterans in assault Zoids was not going to be easy.

"I need to see if they can come together as a team. This is nothing compared to the Gauntlet where you're not holding back. They should be fine."

While the Guardian Force was preparing for a simulation, the Backdraft Group was preparing for the real thing.

Vega was trying to hide his anxiety during the meeting by just staring blankly at the wall.

Angel began, "This is what we know from our surveillance. Van and his colleagues will be training the cadets, while Fiona will be somewhere watching them. I'd be willing to bet she'll be in the guard tower. It has the safest view of the field. Nick and I will take a Helcat to that location and wait for the right moment."

"Isn't Fiona usually with Van?" Jaq asked a valid question.

"Tonight's a major test for the cadets. Someone will need to be watching how they react to a battle situation from outside of a Zoid. At least, that's what seems most logical."

Sara asked one question, "Will you be able to take out Colonel Freiheit, as well?"

Nick spoke up, "This is roughly how it should go down. Fiona will be an easy target, because she won't be in a Zoid. I'll take her out when I know Van's paying the most attention. I want him to see what happens. It should cause him to exit his Zoid and run to her. Then, he's next and chaos ensues."

His steel gray eyes rested on Vega. As coldly as he could, Vega returned the stare. This impressed Nick.

Palta wanted to know if they were only going to take one Zoid. Angel explained that it was crucial to remain as undetected as possible. Spence added that the real battle was still ahead. Sara liked that idea very much.

"A long time ago, we were defeated as if we were a bunch of amateurs. I'm more than ready for a rematch." Spence cracked his knuckles as he spoke.

"The Zoids Battle Commission will fall easily after the leaders of the GF are dead." Sara looked over at her son and smiled. He returned the smile, but thought differently.

"Why do we have to do that? Why can't I just fight battles without the pressure of destroying people's lives? But, it doesn't matter what I want, I think the Fury wants this, too."

***

Leena could feel the butterflies in her stomach, but she had a job to do and people depended on her. She would stay on top of the mountain and signal the others when the "enemies" first made an appearance.

Bit looked at the Gunsniper from below. He was confident she would do better this time because of all the extra training she received in sniper mode. He also looked up at the guard tower. Fiona was there looking at everybody's placement.

The Liger Zero and a Shield Liger were guarding the west side of the base. A customized Command Wolf and Shadow Fox covered the North. One Rev Raptor secured the east, and the south was covered by a Zaber Fang.

An hour passed and nothing happened. Angel and Nick took the time to study the layout of the base.

"Looks you nailed it. Fiona is in my sights. I'm just waiting for their play time to get started."

Something bothered Van as his group finally made their way back to base. He let it go and concentrated on the task.

"We'll hit them from all directions. Let's see what they can do."

In a flash, four Zoids appeared on Leena's radar. She radioed the heads up to everyone else as they stood guard. Bit could hear what sounded like thunder in the distance. He was ready to move out, but the Liger hesitated.

"C'mon partner, we don't have time for this! Let's go!"

The Lightning Saix took on both the Liger Zero and the Shield Liger. Irvine was surprised how quickly Bit counterattacked. The other pilot worked well with Bit and seemed to improve his performance.

Van thought their strategy was well planned, but it did have its flaws. He also had to concentrate on fighting while thinking of ways they could improve.

The one person that worried Leena was Raven and his Genobreaker. She lost track of him shortly after he appeared on radar. "Where did he go? A Zoid that size can't disappear too easily." Something from the side caught her eye and she turned around to see. The only thing there was a small hill range. A misguided missile kicked up the dirt on the hill and she thought she saw something again. She wanted to investigate, but her Gunsniper alerted her to an enemy approaching.

"Van's on the other side of the base. From there, he won't be able to see what happens. What do you want to do?"

Angel looked over at Nick and without hesitation, she replied, "Take the shot. Let's see what happens."

Bit felt like he was getting the upper hand when the Liger Zero stopped all of a sudden. "What are you doing, Liger? We almost had him!"

In the time that it took the Liger to turn around, Bit could hear a rifle shot. His heart froze for a moment when he saw who was hit. He zoomed in on the guard tower, but couldn't find Fiona anywhere.

The Liger immediately leapt onto the wall near the tower, without Bit even touching the controls. He popped open the cockpit and hopped inside.

"Fiona! Can you hear me? Say something!" Bit tried to see where the bullet wound was to stop the bleeding. His hands were immediately soaked in blood when he laid them down on her chest.

"Please hang on, Fiona. I'll get you some help!" He was terrified as he looked at Fiona struggling to breathe.

"What's going on? Where did that shot come from?" Irvine was panicking as he looked for the assailant. Raven ordered an immediate halt to the simulation. Thomas had all ready ordered Beak to do a survey of the area. Van had to struggle with himself to make the Blade Liger move.

"Angel, they're going to find us. We need to move out now!" Nick was ready to load his rifle back into the Helcat.

"Wait, take one more shot. This will make the message loud and clear to Van."

In another flash, Nick's bullet found its target and hit Bit from behind. He fell on top of Fiona who was trying to say something.
"Bit, stay with me. Don't leave me, again." Fiona couldn't say another word.

Bit could feel his flesh tearing around his left shoulder. He wasn't sure if he had heard her right, but he thought she said, "Again."

"Again? Why would you say, again?" Bit could feel his breathing slowing down. He tried to reach the wound in his back with his bloody hands. In that instant, something flashed through his mind.

He was in a baby's room, and as he looked at the baby, he recognized himself. He was crying all alone in the dark. When he looked up, he saw Fiona gathering him in her arms.

"Why is she here? What is this place?" Bit thought he must be dreaming, but everything was so familiar.

Fiona sat down in a rocking chair and began rocking him back to sleep. She was singing something. Bit leaned down to try to hear the song better. It was the same song he heard her singing in the Zoids' hanger.

"I am a transporter, of the wasteland. I'm just singing and making it up as I go along…"

Bit's eyes flashed back open. He was back in the tower with Fiona, who still wasn't moving.

"What is going on?" Bit asked the question, not thinking anyone else was around to hear it.

Van told him everything was gong to be fine. Irvine and Thomas were there and they were going to help take them to the hospital.

He was shaking as he spoke these words, "Can you hear me, Fiona? You're going to be fine, just stay with me!"

The last thing Bit remembered saying was, "Van, are you my father?"

Van cried as he looked at his immobile wife and son surrounded by blood.