Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Hope ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"We have a lot of work to do if we want to make sure no one detected the new Berserk Fury. Palta, I want a team of Helcats to survey the area around us. Keep in constant communication. We have enough Zoids for everyone to evacuate the Whale King. We have a security system that will conceal the King and allow it to remain undetected. It should give us enough time to set up at the new base."

Sara took Angel aside, "How is your end of the deal coming?"

Angel glanced up at the raising sun, "We'll be able to strike tonight. According to your sources, they're having a night battle simulation. I'll go with Nick to assist."

"Good, then it looks like nothing's changed."

Bit was puzzled as he made the walk back to his room. Everything seemed so easy since he arrived at headquarters. The training was intense, and he and the Liger were achieving higher levels of skill, there was no doubt about that. The only thing that bothered him was Van and Fiona, not only them, but Thomas and Irvine, and even Moonbay. They were excellent instructors and knew exactly what they were doing, but he felt like he knew them somehow. The feeling was becoming more intense.

As he approached his room, he noticed that Leena's door was cracked. He knocked, but heard no answer. He pushed the door gently and peered inside. Leena was sitting on the edge of her bed facing the window.

"You're up early."

She didn't give him a response. Bit noticed that she was still in her pajamas and her hair was pulled back in ponytail. He never saw her like that; she looked like a completely different person.

He walked up behind her and laid his hand on her shoulder. She turned around fast and pushed him aside.

"Sorry! You weren't answering, and you left your door open. I was making sure nothing was wrong…" Leena's face was white and she had a blank look in her eyes.

"Leena, what's the matter?"

She seemed to snap back to reality when she finally looked at Bit in his face. "Nothing, I just thought I heard something outside."

"And that's what made you a nervous wreck?"

She rolled her eyes at him, "You know it's not easy right now. I feel like everything I do here is not right. I don't know how to pilot my Gunsniper, I'm not making as much progress as the others, and everything is just really stressful right now."

"Leena, you're doing fine. Why would you think those things?"

Bit was being very comforting, which took Leena by surprise. "Who was the first person to be jumped on when we began training?"

"They're just trying to point out what we can do differently, that's all. You need to relax because you don't look too good."

"Thanks a lot, Bit." Her sarcasm didn't seem to get through to him.

"I'm being serious. Sit down and I'll get you something to drink."

"Something must be wrong; Bit's never acted this nice. Although, it is a nice change."

"I didn't ask you what you were doing up so early."
"I couldn't sleep. I had this weird dream earlier this morning. It's no big deal."

Leena raised her hand and touched Bit's face, "It must be something. You have dark circles under your eyes."

Bit handed her the glass of water. He took her hand away from his face and held onto it for a moment. "You know I've always had respect for you as a pilot, and a friend."

Her eyes widened as she heard him call her, "a friend." Bit had never said anything like that before. He seemed so sincere.

"I never apologized for being so rude to you. There were a lot of stupid little things I jumped on you for."

They never took their eyes off of each other. Bit wasn't sure what he was feeling, and he was scared to tell Leena anything. Leena understood her feelings for him, but held back.

"There's no reason to apologize. I know I was a jerk."

Small tears ran down her cheek. She was actually having a conversation with Bit that didn't involve yelling and fighting. Bit took the back of his hand and wiped away the tears.

"There's no need for that, either."

"Hey, Bit."

"Yeah?"

"Promise me that we'll get through this together. We'll make it through whatever obstacles may be ahead of us."

"I promise."

Before he realized what he was doing, he bent down towards her and kissed her gently on top of her head. Leena just sat there, dazed as to what was happening.

He finally let go of her hand and left her room.

"Maybe there's hope for us after all, Bit Cloud." Leena could barely contain her enthusiasm.

"I promise I'll protect you. I can't afford to loose you, Leena."

Fiona stayed in the hangar with the Liger Zero. She stood silently by Zeke as she watched the sun break through in the distance. Many thoughts came to her as she stood there. Mostly, she thought of Bit. The idea of telling him she was his mother ran over and over in her head. She yawned, finally aware what a night without sleeping was doing to her.

Out of habit, she headed towards Van's office. Usually, she would finish work on the Zoids and head there to update reports. This time, she noticed someone else in the office.

"I don't even think I have to ask what you're doing up, Van."

"I woke up and didn't see you in bed. You had me worried at first, but then I realized where you were."

She sat on the edge of his desk facing him in his chair. "He came to me this morning."

"What did he say?"

"He told me that a nightmare woke him up, so he took a walk to clear his head. It must have been some dream because his face had such a gruff appearance to it. We talked for a while. It was nice."

Van realized this was the first time since Bit arrived that Fiona had a moment alone with him. "I'm glad. I haven't seen you really happy in a long time."

He took her hand and kissed the top of it. She took her other hand and ran her fingers through his hair.

"He senses things, like I do."

"How do you know that?"

"I was humming Moonbay's transporter song, and it caught his attention. When I turned around to look at him, he looked like he remembered something."

"Fiona, I don't want to sound like a dream wrecker, but that's a stretch."

"Call it a dream if you want, but I know he feels something. I want to say that we probably had similar dreams."

"Honey…"

"Van, listen to me. Riece said that Ava had strong feelings, similar to what Ancient Zoidians have. It's possible that Bit has the same thing."

He couldn't argue with genetics. Bit does have the blood of an Ancient Zoidian in him. "It makes sense. He can detect things on the battlefield faster than radar can."

"You just have to believe, Van."

Her smile was so warm and inviting. He kissed her with these words, "I believe with all my heart."