Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Two Reasons to Live ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Raven ordered the cadets to head back to their quarters. He tried answering their questions as best as he could, but he wasn't sure what just happened.

He noticed that Leena had no expression in her eyes, "Are you going to be okay?"

She shook her head, "I need to see, Bit."

"I don't know how possible that's going to be right now. The paramedics said they'll have to go into surgery first. Fiona is in more serious condition than Bit, but he did lose a lot of blood."

She repeated herself, "I need to see, Bit."

"I'll take you. Get your Zoid back to the hangar and meet me outside."

Sick Bay looked normal and peaceful on the outside as the two approached the entrance. Inside, however, was anything but peaceful.

Leena followed Raven to the emergency room and took a seat like she was told. The surgeons were talking to Van when Raven came up to him.

"How's surgery going?"

Thomas came from the lobby with two cups of coffee. He heard Raven's question and answered it, "Both are having complications. Nobody is really telling us anything else."

Irvine took the cup that was offered to him and spoke up, "Van can't hear you. He hasn't said a word since we got here. The nurse said it's post traumatic shock and to give him some time. Like it took a professional to tell us that."

"Then, she's going through the same thing." Raven pointed to Leena who sat as still as a statue.

He sat down next to her and searched for something to say. Scenes like this were common to Raven; in fact, he was the one that usually caused them. He never really thought about what he was doing then, but now, he thought about every village and base in great detail. Many people died because of his actions and he wondered how the families managed to survive.

Every time he thought he had something of value to say, he'd realize how trivial it sounded. Riece and Ava entered his mind a hundred times, and he finally had the energy to call them and let them know what happened. It came as no surprise when Riece told him she all ready knew. After all these years, Raven was still amazed at how Ancient Zoidians sensed these things.

Thomas and Irvine's wives finally made it to the hospital. Moonbay felt terrible not being there with Fiona. She was invited to oversee the test with her, but declined because she just wanted to stay in bed.

"I let her down." Irvine wrapped his arm around her shoulders and leaned her down on his chest.

"You know Fiona wouldn't blame you for anything, so don't you dare start that."

"But look at Van. How am I supposed to feel?" She nearly choked on the words.

Catherine noticed the angry look in Thomas' eyes. "What's wrong, honey?"

He looked over at the person sitting diagonally from him, "Nothing."

She whispered softly, but sternly, "There's too much hate in this world now. Please don't add to it." Her words hit him hard, and Thomas shook away the angry thoughts.

Raven knew Thomas' problem. A long time ago, he encountered the same kind of situation. Only, Thomas was the one lying in the hospital bed, unsure if he'd make it or not. Deep down, Raven knew he wasn't forgiven for the day he came back with his Genosaur. The only person that truly accepted him was sitting in a chair by himself away from everyone else.

"It'd probably be best if I left." He started to get up when he felt a hand touch his arm.

"You pushed me so hard with practices day after day. I meant to thank you. I never felt more prepared for battle then I did tonight."

It was an unusual time for thank-you's, but it was appreciated. Raven decided to stay there for her sake, at least.

The sun may have been rising outside, but around Van, there was nothing but darkness. His mind was stuck in a loop, starting when Irvine reported the shots, to the time the doctor said, "Be prepared."

What was he supposed to do? How was he supposed to "prepare"? Fiona shouldn't be the one suffering right now. Bit shouldn't have to suffer, either. He was doing just fine until he accepted the invitation to the Guardian Force.

Van began slamming his fist on top of his leg. Everybody had remained silent for so long, that the noise seemed earth shattering. It took both Thomas and Irvine to stop Van from hitting himself. Moonbay tried to get him to talk to her, but he wouldn't even look her in the eyes. Catherine left to get a nurse.

Leena looked at Van with heartbreaking eyes. He had given everything he could to the world to ensure peace, yet this was how he was repaid. It didn't seem fair at all.

Catherine followed a nurse back to Van and the others. She was preparing a shot when the surgeon came back to talk to her. They whispered for a minute, and she left the waiting room again.

"Colonel Freiheit, both Fiona and Bit have been moved to rooms to recover. As for your wife, the bullet entered through her back and exited through her chest. It managed to miss the spine and the heart, but she did lose a lot of blood. There is minimal brain activity at this point, due to the lack of oxygen. She could end up brain dead. I'm so sorry."

Van still didn't say anything. Moonbay spoke up for him, "What about Bit Cloud?"

This instantly got Leena's attention. "We managed to retrieve the bullet from his shoulder, but he's in a comatose like state right now. Either he slips into a coma for who knows how long, or he could lose the use of his left arm." With that, he left the room.

"I don't believe this. How's Van supposed to handle this type of news in the state he's in?" Irvine wanted greatly to take his frustrations out on someone.

To everyone's amazement, Van got up and walked over to Leena, who was just as dumbfounded. Raven gave up his seat for him, and Van spoke for the first time that morning.

"I'm going to see my wife now. I want you to be there for my son." Leena couldn't believe what she heard. Van had a son? Could he be talking about Bit?

She nodded her head like she completely understood and followed him to their rooms. She sat down next to Bit's bed and touched his injured arm.

"This is the second time I've gotten to talk to you without us getting into an argument," she tried to smile, "but I'd argue with you day and night if that meant you'd get this through ordeal. I've never been the kind of person that could easily share their feelings, but I need to tell you this now."

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She knew that there was no going back once she said what she wanted. "No matter what I've said, or how I've acted towards you, I've always loved you. I would have never done this had you not been here with me. Listen Bit, I can't do it without you now. I need you, and you're parents need you. Don't ask me to explain, but the people in the next room call you their son. There are a lot of things you need to know about, but you'll never know unless you open your eyes."

At this point, Leena found it hard to keep speaking. She laid her head down on his bed and rested for a minute.

Meanwhile, the other room was just as tense. Van spent a few minutes pacing back and forth. He wanted to tell Fiona what Bit had asked him, but he didn't even know if she could hear him. Listening to the heart monitor beat slowly and the life support machine breathing for her was tearing at his soul. He decided to talk to her, to break the monotony of the machines.

"You were right about Bit, sweetheart. Then again, you're always right. Just out of the blue, he asked me if I was his father. I understand now what you said to me in my office a couple of days ago. He does know something, but I'm not sure what he knows. Fiona, I believed, just like you asked me, too. We're so close to becoming a family like we once were, so you can't leave now. There's a lot we have to learn about him, and I'm sure there's a lot he wants to know about us. I can't do this by myself. The only time I've ever felt like I accomplished something was because you were with me."

He wouldn't allow himself to cry because he needed to remain strong for her. He hoped that the idea of them being a family again was enough to keep Fiona in the living world.

The members of the Ice Daggers came to his mind as he sat there staring at his unconscious wife. "They're back. It has to be them. This time, we'll finish it."