Fan Fiction ❯ Between the Lines ❯ Misty Calm ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Between the Lines
 
Author: Ilze
 
Rating: PG13
 
Category: Manga, Romance, Drama
 
Summary: Alexia LaFayette is, what some would some, the perfect girl. Athletic, popular, beautiful. She can have any guy she wanted, so what would people think if she fell in love with a female high school drop-out?
 
Warning: Shoujo Ai content as well as slight Shounen Ai.
 
Chapter Three: Misty Calm
 
"So, tell me about her." I look up from my lunch and see Kelli's eyes looking directly at me. I blush and remember how she had read my English paper before I turned it in. Apparently, I really did make her sound beautiful because Kel had been asking me about her all day. Deep down I knew she was just teasing me but I still couldnt help myself from blushing when she brought it up.
 
Soon, the rest of my friends came a sat down around me. To my left was Joey and to my right was another of my friends, Clark. He had been in English as well and also read the paper. Of course, he had to remark about his fascination with asian women and how he wanted me to introduce him.
 
Clark was... probably my most attractive friend. He was tall, a good 6;2 and had a nice muscular build. His dark skin shows his african ancestry and his head is shaved, something the varsity basketball team did as a sign of unity or something like that. Chestnut colored eyes finished up his strong face. I came to know Clark my Sophmore year when he had moved to Escort and was 'introducing' himself to all the women of the school. We hit it off and soon became quick friends, but nothing more. I wouldnt dream of dating Clark, he just wasnt my type. His personality is humorous and friendly but he also has that reputation of being a 'player.' Despite that, he's still one of my best pals.
 
I sigh, shooting a distinct glare at Kelli, "She's just a friend. I met her at the grocery store yesterday. Then she stopped by the house yesterday because I dropped my grandpa's medicine."
 
"Sure." Clark said sarcastically, "What's her name again?"
 
"Karen." I leave out the last name purposly.
 
The conversation quickly drifts into other things that I didnt really care to listen to. Looking around the courtyard, I quickly notice that there is someone missing withen my friends. I turn to Joey, "Where's Burg?"
 
He looks at me and speaks with a mouthful of sandwich, "He left last period." He pauses to chew and swallow, "Said he had to meet someone. Dunno who."
 
I nod absently. He'd been acting reallu wierd lately, as if he was hiding something from us. Now, James Luxenburg wasnt the type of guy who would just come out a tell people about his personal life and he usually kept to himself but recently... he's just been acting mysterious. Eventually, I just give up on the subject. Whatever it was, he'd handle it in his own way and it wasnt really my business.
 
The bell rings, signalling the end of lunch period and I continue with the rest of the day. Of course, nothing exciting happened besides watching Clark and Joey almost choke on a piece of candy when they were dared to swallow one of McAfee's hardtack whole. The dismissal bell is welcomed at the end of the day. I gather my books and head to say farewell to my friends. They were all gathered in the parking lot, talking amongst themselves.
 
As I come upon them, Joey turns around to greet me, "Hey, Lex. You never told us, you coming tomorrow?"
 
I nod with a smile, "Yeah. I decided I might as well go." Turning, I look at Kel, "Are you coming?"
 
"Unless something comes up." She says, pushing a streak of colored hair behind her ear, "Can you give me a ride home, Lexi?"
 
"Yeah, sure. You wanna go now?"
 
"Whenever you want."
 
We hang out outside the school for a few more minutes until I finally decide to leave. Leading Kelli down to my car, I unlock the door for her and we climb in. I absently toss my books into the messy back seat that served as more of a storage space than a backseat and start the car. The old Honda stalls a moment but soon enough and I pull out of the school parking lot and into the street.
 
"To you're house?" I ask hesitantly and grimace when she nods. I always hate dropping my best friend off at her house because I know whats waiting for her there. "Why dont you come over to my house for awhile. I need some help on Trig anyways."
 
She appears to be thinking a moment, "Alright. For awhile but I'd better not stay out too long."
 
We drive down the empty streets of Escort for a few moments until the peace is momentarilly disturbed by the sight of a boy walking loneily down the street. At first sight, I would mistake the boy for Burg but upon closer inspection, he is a diffrent man. Wearing a black trenchcoat, I'd think he'd be sweating in the warm weather but his pale face appeared to have no sweat and his tall, 'moehawk' hairstyle didnt seem disturbed. As we drove by the stranger, I momentarilly recognized him but the feeling left quickly as I slowly came upon my house.
 
I park the car neatly in the driveway and hop out of the car, leaving my books behind. Kelli follows as I march up to the front door and brightly swing it open. I kick my shoes off at the door and stroll in, looking for my grandpa. He is found hunched over a newspaper and he looks up from the paper with a smile.
 
"Hey, Lexy." He stands creakily and comes over where he see's Kelli, "Oh, havent seen you in awhile."
 
Kelli smiled at him and nodded. All my friends knew and liked my grandpa but he only remembered Kelli's name. "We're gonna head up to my room, alright?" I say and turn around, "Dad's gonna be home early tonight, right?"
 
"Yep. I think he's picking up take out too."
 
I nod and tread up the stairs, Kelli trailing behind me. Entering the room, I sit down on my bed as Kelli takes a seat in on the opposite side. She turns to me with a naughty smile planted on her face. Staring at her a moment, I eventual ask, "What?"
 
"Do you like that girl?"
 
"Karen?" I ask, slightly shocked. "No, of course not. Why?"
 
"Just the way you acted." She lays down, "I saw a blush. You never blush when I tease you like that."
 
"Well, I dont." I say gruffly with a pout.
 
She laughs, "Fine, fine. No need to throw a tantrum about it." I pout.
 
About an hour later, there is a knock on the door and I answer it to see my Dad standing there with a bag of McDonald's food in his hand. "Hey." He greets me and hands the bag over. He glanced at Kel, "Hello, Kelli."
 
"Hi, Mr. LaFayette." She says and stands up.
 
"There's two burgers in there, you're grandpa gave me a call and said Kelli was over here." He ran a hand through his jet black hair, "He also said you're going to a party tomorrow?"
 
I scratch my head as I hear Kelli giggled slightly at the fact that I hadnt even asked my father yet, "Uh, yeah. It's at Tora Lucas' house."
 
"Yeah, I've met him. Do you have a ride?" I say yes, "Well then it's okay with me. You know the curfew though. He leaves me with that and he turns to leave, shutting my door behind him.
 
Kelli laughed again and I throw her sandwich at her, "Shut up and eat." I sit back down and we eat are meal silently.
 
I take Kelli home about a half hour later and I return to my house quickly, the Sun was setting. Entering with a yawn, I tell the males of my house that I'm heading up to bed and they each grant me a goodnight. I change and jump into bed and I'm greeted by sleep quickly. Tomorrow would be quite a day.
 
My night was actually quite a unrestful one. Tossing and turning and constantly wake up, I finally fall into a deep sleep about 6 a.m. Because of the restless night, I sleep in until about noon which is something I rarely do. Heading down the stairs, I come upon my grandpa and dad sitting in the kitchen. They're talking about something and me, being the curious little girl I am, decide to eavesdrop a little. I tiptoe right beside the kitchen door and listen intently to the conversation they're engaged in.
 
"How long has he been back?" I identify the voice as Grandpa's.
 
"About two weeks I think." Dad. "He said he isnt gonna be here too long and that he's heading for New York in two weeks."
 
"Why'd he even come back?"
 
"John*..." My dad says exasperantly, "He's been gone for a long time. He just wants to see his family."
 
"Are you going to tell Alexia?"
 
"... Not yet." I hear him sigh, "I dont want her running off to greet him. Joel aint what he used to be. I can tell that already."
 
I nearly fall over when I hear that last sentence. Joel's back?! My little brother who ran away long ago? My feeling of excitment is quickly overtaken by anger that Dad wasnt even going to tell me that he was back. I hear a chair scooting as someone stands up and I quickly turn around to sneak back upstairs. Unfortunatly, I'm not quite fast enough as I feel a hand grasp my shoulder. My head turns slowly to look at my father.
 
"Alexia..." He says in a scolding voice, "How long have you been out here?"
 
I turn around to look at him, "Long enough." I say defiantly.
 
"Come here. We'll discuss this."
 
My father leads me into the kitchen and he points to a chair for me to sit in. I do so obediantly and look at my dad and grandpa. My father places his head in his hands and his elbows on the table, "Now, Alexia... you know Joel's back in town now, right?"
 
I nod, that part I overheard, "Yeah and why werent you going to tell me?"
 
"Hold on." He looks at me, "Joel has been back for two weeks and I've only known it for about three days. He called me at work and wanted me to meet him. I did so yesterday and he has changed. Dramatically." He sighs, his eyes appear weary. This was a look you rarely got to see of Joseph LaFayette. "I'm not sure what he has been doing all this time but I wouldnt be suprised about anything. He isnt the little brother who left here. I dont want you involved with him until I talk to him more."
 
I see the truth and concern in my father's voice. I know Joel was having trouble before he left. He'd been hanging out with not the kind of people you'd want to hang out with and he was becoming very rebellious. I heard several rumors about him including crime and drugs. I also know that Dad had been trying everything he could to help his son and that it broke his heart when Joel left. I nodded to my father, "I'm not going to go searching for him, Daddy. It'd just be nice if you'd tell me."
 
"I was going to just not yet." He leans back in his chair, "Please dont go looking for him and dont tell anyone he's back. Alright?"
 
I hesitate to answer a moment but finally nod, "Fine." I cross my arms and yawn.
 
"Good." He smiles, "Now, about you're eavsdropping." I grimace, Gramps laughs.
 
To Be Continued...