Fan Fiction ❯ Between the Lines ❯ Instinct ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Instinct
 
Author: Chrischi
 
Genre: Comedy, Action
 
 
It was so embarassing.
 
I sat in the recliner of my family's living room. The television blared in front of me but all of my concentration was centered on the conversation happening in the next room.
 
Just like every time he visited, my grandfather was rambling on about one of his storys. My younger brother, Kanno sat at the elderly man's feet, listening intently with wide-eyed fascination. Just like I did when I was his age.
 
The volume on the television slowly decreased as I held the button down. My ears turned towards the kitchen door so that I could hear clearly what was being said.
 
"And there I was, standing in the center of a dark room. The only thing I could hear was the cold, harsh breaths of the Ninja Master as he watched me, waiting for the perfect moment to strike." The elderly man's raspy voice spoke the story clearly. It was one of the many tales my grandfather had told me as I grew up. "Then, as quick as a flash of lightning... the Ninja Master was on me! He dived for me to use his trademark Neck-Mangle of Death technique!" I sighed deeply as I noted that the 'Neck-Mangle of Death' had been modified through the years countless times. The first time I heard of the trademark manuever, it was called the 'Juggular Tug of Hades.'
 
The old man paused and my young brother Kanno spoke up loudly, "Did he get ya?" I rolled my eyes.
 
"Does it look like he got me?" The grandfather asked with a hardy laugh, "Son, the Ninja Master may be a formidable foe but his skills were no match for mine! Before the Master could get his gigantic hands to my neck, I used a spinning-cartwheel-kick to knock him to the ground and in a flash, I was on him. Before he could get to his feet, I grabbed the Master by the wrists and slammed him through a concrete wall. The solid, conrete cracked under the Ninja Master's pressure." It was quite possible to hear a shocked gasp from Kanno, "Then, I slowly walked up to the mess. The dust was thick and I couldnt see a thing but I knew he was there. I shouted, 'Ninja Master, come out and let's finish this!' I got no answer so I just clenched my fists and waited to defeat my arch enemy. When the dust finally cleared, the Ninja Master was no where in sight. The only thing that was next was his black bandana."
 
I leaned my head against the back of the recliner as I mouthed the old man's last words along with him, "I never saw him since but it's our family's life goal... to destroy the ninja threat from the planet and defeat the Ninja Master."
 
Kanno clapped loudly at the conclusion of the tale and scampered to his feet, "Me too?!"
 
"Of course, son, of course!" Grandfather laughed, "but you'd better hurry along with your training or your brother will beat ya to it."
 
With that, Kanno turned around and sprinted into the living room. He stood in front of me and placed his fists on his hips defiantly, "I'm gonna beat the Ninja Master, not you!"
 
I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, "Fine by me."
 
The boy laughed arrogantly and ran off to his room. If one was to listen closely, it was possible to hear the shouts of battle and crys of pain as Kanno got along with his 'training.'
 
Another presence entered the room and my grandfather took a seat on the couch opposite my recliner. He sighed and grinned at me, "You used to love those storys."
 
I ran a hand through my short, black hair and nodded, "When I was ten. Fantasy storys dont really appeal to me anymore."
 
"Fantasy, eh?" He chuckled.
 
I blinked a few times and looked the elderly man in the eyes, "Yeah."
 
The old man smiled a bit and nodded, "Right. You remind me a lot of your father. He also did not accept his destiny."
 
"And what was that, gramps?"
 
Grandfather became serious and he stared at me blankly, "To defeat the Ninja Master."
 
I stared at my grandfather for a long moment after that then broke out in laughter, "Right. Thanks for the lesson on our family's history, Gramps but I think I'll pass on that whole destiny thing." With that, I stood abruptly and started for the staircase that led upstairs. I started up the stairs but when I finally reached the top, I was greeted by a annoying little hazzard.
 
A swift kick to my 'crotchal' area was what awaited my at the top of the stairs and the high-pitched battle cry of Kanno was what I heard as I fell down the steps and landed hard at the bottom. My grandfather's laugh echoed through the house as I rushed up the stairs after my younger brother. I neared the boy just as he entered his room and slammed his door in my face and, of course, I slammed straight into it.
 
 
/\/\/\/\/\
 
I spent the majority of the rest of the day in my room with a band-aid plastered on my nose and a ice pack on my groin. I found myself cursing the lousy tales of my grandfather as I laid on my bed and stared at the many cracks on the cieling. My day was disturbed until I heard the my grandfather shouting my name from downstairs.
 
After hopping out of bed, I jogged downstairs and saw the old man sitting in the recliner. He watched me as I entered the room and it was easy to see a grin appear on his face at the sight of my band-aid clad face.
 
"What's up?" I asked as I stood in front of him with arms crossed.
 
The old man scratched the top of his head and nodded, "I was just about to make my daily cup of tea when I noticed that we were out of formula." I nodded my head and quickly noted what he actually meant. He really meant to say that he wanted a cup of coffee but we were out. "Anyways, ya think you could run down to the grocery and pick me up some formula?"
 
I thought a moment then nodded reluctantly, "Sure."
 
"Ah, thanks a lot, son. How's your..." He blinked some and made a coughing noise, "feel?"
 
I rolled my eyes and shrugged, "It's fine, gramps. I'll be back in a little while." I stopped for a second, "Where's my jacket?"
 
Gramps thought a moment, "I put it on the coat rack, where it's supposed to be."
 
I nodded and headed for the door. After grabbing my coat off the rack, I started out for the chore I'd been set on. I stepped out into the cool, New York air and immediatly headed down the sidewalk towards town.
 
The sun shone brightly down on my neighborhood but it did little to warm up the area. It wasnt exactly cold, it was cool. Just the way I liked it.
 
I'd been walking for about ten minutes when I heard the strange sound coming from behind me.
 
It sounded somewhat like a ruffling. As if something was messing around in the bushes that lined the sidewalk. At first I took it as just some stray dog or cat and continued on but after a few more blocks and the sound not ceasing, I finally stopped to find the source.
 
When I finally looked through the well-trimmed bushes, I found nothing unusual. No cat, dog, or menacing stranger following me. With a sigh and a scratch of my head, I turned around to continue my walk towards town.
 
I was just entering town when I noticed that my wallet as missing. A curse of anger flew from my lips as I finally came up to the coffee house I'd been heading towards for nearly half an hour.
 
I pondered for quite awhile what to do. The walk back home would be a very boring and agrivating trip and it would only be followed by another trip back to the coffee house and back home again. Finally, I chose another option.
 
The door to the coffee house opened with a ring of it's tiny bell and the lone occupant of the place looked up to see me enter. It was a young cashier. A nerdy little fellow with crooked teeth, a curved nose, and a large pair of wire-rimmed glasses planted on his acne-induced face. His brown hair hung curly over his red forehead and he wore a white shirt that was much too large for him under a pair of suspenders and an akward little bow-tie. A name tag was pinned to his clothes. It read the name Ralph.
 
The teen smiled at me as I walked up to the desk and leaned on the cheap, wooden counter to place my order. The cashier grinned a crooked smile and opened his mouth to speak, "May I take your order?"
 
His voice was raspy and sounded something like sharp fingernails on a chalk board. I winced and finally spoke, "One on-the-go cup of java, please."
 
"Size?"
 
I thought a moment, "Medium." Gramps would complain but I knew he would just let a large go to waste.
 
"Okie doki. I'll be right back with your order, sir." With those final words, the teen stared at me for a long moment before turning around and jogging through a small dark door into the back.
 
I leaned against the counter and ran a hand through my hair. It wasnt a very nice thing to do but it was the only way. When the little nerd came back with my order, I'd decided to take it and run.
 
The light jingle of the entry bell caught my attention and I turned my head around to see who the newcomer was. When my eyes finally fixed on the area behind me, no one was in the room other than myself.
 
Blinking, I turned completly around and scanned about the coffee house. No other living thing was in sight. I was completly convined that I was alone until the newcomer showed me where he was.
 
A loud creak from above caught my attention and I looked up just in time to see a large, black mass fall from the cieling. I jumped out of the way just in time to see a black-clad man land right where I'd once stood.
 
After landing, the man stood his full height and turned towards me. He was a good head taller than myself but that was not what caught my attention. The stranger was dressed completly in black. Pants, shirt, gloves, boots, and mask were all pitch black. The only other colors visible was the small slit in his mask that showed his eyes and a bright yellow bandana around his forehead.
 
I took a step back and blinked at the stranger, "Ninja..." was the only thing that came out of my mouth.
 
We stood there for what seemed like hours. I just stared straight into the hollow eyes of the Yellow Ninja, not beleiving what was happening before me. It seemed even more unreal when the ninja broke the stillness and came straight at me.
 
A loud yell came from the ninja as he sprinted straight at me, hands up-raised and feet stomping. I just barely moved out of the way of his fist as it flew past me. The wind it made slapped across my face as I moved.
 
However, before I knew it I was on the ground as the Yellow Ninja kicked my feet out from under me. I landed on my back with a crash and I could feel the muscles in my lower back spasm as I landed. I groaned and open my eyes just in time to see the ninja's black-clad knee coming down on top of my head.
 
Just in time, I rolled out of the way and heard the ninja's knee smashing down onto the wooden floor as I did so. The floor-boards cracked under the pressure of the ninja but he quickly got back to his feet. I stood as well and stared in shock at the ninja.
 
Once again, my enemy came at me. This time, however it all seemed slow. The ninja came full speed but it all seemed as if in slow motion. It was then that my fighting instinct set in.
 
I lifted my leg just as the ninja raised his fist for an attack. Before he could even come within finger-length, my foot slammed into his gut and the ninja was bent over in pain. I took the chance to grab the ninja's head and slam it into my knee. He went to the floor after contact.
 
To my suprise, the ninja rose to his feet without blinking. I could see a small trickle of blood roll down his face from underneath his mask but it didnt even slow the ninja down.
 
I didnt even notice the small white, clad man run into the room. Where he came from I would never know but he was there. The man stood in-between myself and the Yellow Ninja and rose his hands into the air. His mouth opened and the words that came from his mouth, although strange, seemed only approptriate for the situation.
 
"Round One!" The thin-man shouted, "Ready..... Fight!"
 
The man jumped out of the way just as the battle began. The ninja tensed itself and sprung into a dead sprint towards me. I braced my feet against the hard ground and clenched my fists. The ninja let out a growl as it jumped into the air and kicked his right leg out in front of him. A smirk nearly crossed my face as I saw the novice manuever.
 
My hands flew out in front of me as if possessed by some strange being. The ninja's foot made contact with my outstretched hands and my finger enclosed around it. With a quick jerk of my torso, I sent the ninja flying headlong into one of the many wooden tables that sat about the coffee house. He smashed through the table, destroying many of the house's chairs as well.
 
Dust caked the air as I cracked my neck quickly and turned once more to face the ninja. The dust stung the eyes but it was still easy to see the Yellow Ninja slowly rise to his feet. His black uniform was ripped and his chest heaved heavily as his head turned to look at me. I stared back with utter concentration, just waiting for the ninja's next move.
 
However, it never came as the ninja closed his eyes and bowed swiftly towards me. I blinked a few times as stood in complete stillness and suddenly broke out in a dead sprint. Before I could even make a move, the ninja was out the window and gone.
 
My hand immediatly went to my head and I scratched the black hair on top of it. The battle that had taken place just seconds ago seemed unbeleiveable and I finally found myself questioning my abilitys. How had I known to fight the ninja? Who was the ninja and what did he want with me? My grandfather's ridiculous stories were the only thing that came to mind.
 
My thoughts were interuppted as another noise came from behind me. I turned abruptly to see what had made the noise and was welcomed by a familiar sight.
 
Standing only a few feet from where I stood, was yet another black-clad fighter. His attire was the same as his earlier comrade, the only difference was the blue clothe tied around his masked forehead. I braced myself at the sight of the ninja.
 
I didnt even get a chance to make a move as I heard a loud crash from behind me. I jerked my head about just in time to see yet another ninja, this one wearing a red bandana. The Red Ninja let a muffled chuckle escape from under his mask just as he grabbed my arms from behind.
 
My arms attempted to frail and escape but the Red Ninja's grip was powerful. His Blue comrade let out a similar chuckle as he slowly began to advance towards me. Once again, all movement seemed slow and I found my instinct taking control again. I tried once more unsuccessful attempt to break the Red's grip as the Blue Ninja came within arm's length of me.
 
That was when I made my move. I braced my legs against the ground and kicked backward. The Red Ninja's powerful stance as enough to elevate me just enough so that I could use both my legs to kick the Blue Ninja square in the chest. I saw the Blue flying backward just as I fell flat on my back as the Red Ninja let me go.
 
I sprawled to my feet and saw a white flash run across my vision. I blinked a looked over to see the familiar white-clad man standing between me and the Red Ninja. In a blink of an eye, the Blue Ninja was standing next to him, both of their eyes tearing through me like a knife through butter.
 
"Round Two..... Fight!"
 
Was the last thing I heard before the Red and Blue Ninjas broke into a mad frenzy of action. Their movements were so quick and unpredictable I had trouble following them. Within all of their crazy formations and meanuevers, I was a little bit shocked that niether of them made any movement towards me.
 
I cleared my throat as I looked at the two of them. Boredom grew inside of me as I stood and watched the twosomes akward dance. Finally, I reached my limit and glared at my enemys.
 
"Hey!" I shouted in a harsh voice. The two ninjas stopped in mid-dance and turned to stare at me, "Would you get on with it?"
 
The ninjas glanced at each other and blinked then looked at me and did the same. They continued the movement for what seemed like hours until they finally nodded to each other and once again regained a fighting stance. I clenched my fists as the battle finally began.
 
It all started with the Red Ninja. He sprinted at full speed right towards me and I tensed my muscles in preparation of the onslaught. However, just as the Red was inches from me, he flipped into the air and jumped right over me. I hadnt noticed the Blue Ninja coming right after him.
 
The Blue Ninja's fist slammed into my jaw and I found myself flying backward. I expected to hit the ground hard but was caught by the Red Ninja as I flew. His strong hands caught me by the shoulders and before I knew it, he slammed his knee into the small of my back. I went flying foreward only to be met by the Blue's foot and I once again found myself in flight.
 
The deadly game of Ping-Pong continued and my vision slowly began to haze and blur. Unconciousness loomed over the horizon and the two ninjas knew it. However, their knowing that was what helped me the most.
 
Their movements slackened and became less precise as their confidence grew. I fought for every last bit of reality as the game continued until I finally saw my chance.
 
It was right after the Red Ninja cracked me once again in the back with his knee. I went flying but not as painfully or quickly as usual. He feet ran against the floor just as I saw the Blue Ninja's right foot coming up to finish me off. My hands flew up just in time to grab his ankle and twist. A shout of pain escaped the Blue as I continued my grip on his ankle and pulled. Once I got within reach, my fist cracked against the ninja's skull and the Blue fell to the ground.
 
I fell as well as I suddenly found myself dizzy. The beating I had just recieved had taken it's toll on my senses and I tried with as much effort as possible to regain them. The process went slowly and I barely saw the Red Ninja's arm fly straight for my head.
 
I jerked my neck just in time to dodge the attack and I sent two of my own poorly aimed manuevers at the ninja. Thankfully, I was able to push the ninja away just so that I had enough time to regain my sensed. I placed my feet on the hard ground and raised myself once more to a fighting stance and glared at my enemys.
 
The Red Ninja stood as well but the Blue had to support himself against a table. My mind clicked as I saw a perfect oppurtunity to end the fray at once. I lunged for the Red Ninja.
 
The ninja reacted with a swing at my face. I ducked and came up right under the Red. My arms wrapped around and ninja's waist and I lifted with all the strength my hips would allow. The ninja came off the ground without much trouble and I flew my foe at the table his comrade was using as support. The table smashed and both enemys went to the ground in a sea of dust and smoke. When it all cleared, all that was left was the Blue Ninja, laying in a mess of broken wood. His comrade must have abandoned him in the smoke as the Blue could not run with the hurt ankle.
 
I stepped towards the unmoving ninja but stopped as a cough escaped his lungs. His dark eyes cracked open and focused on me. They twitched and shuddered as he stared.
 
He coughed once more then spoke in a muffled tone, "You may have defeated the servant, but you'll never defeat the master." and with that, the ninja slumped over and collapsed into unconciousness.
 
I stepped back and blinked, staring into oblivion as I struggled over the ninja's last words. Many thoughts flooded into my head as the memorys of only recent moments also came into my mind.
 
My grandfather spent his entire life pursuing the Ninja Master. He devoted every second of his young life trying to rid the world of the ninja threat. I'd always thought them to be simple fairy tales that gramps had grown too attached to but now, everything had changed...
 
I looked up and clenched my fists. "Who is the Ninja Master?" I asked myself.
 
A few footsteps from behind me answered my question. In the back of my head, I asked myself how the hell all these people got behind me but then I realized the importance of the matter at hand. I turned around and stared at the familiar sight behind the counter.
 
The nerdy cashier, Ralph had emerged from the back of the coffee house. He held a styrofoam cup of steaming coffee in his hand that he set down when he reached the counter. He fixed the large glasses on his nose and spoke with a smirk, "All we accept is Canadian Dollars."
 
I stared at him. Why would a New York coffee house only accept Canadian money? Suddenly, one of my grandfather's storys came to mind.
 
"As you know, my boy, I was currently on the tail of the Ninja Master. Of course, I had no clue where the guy would be hiding. After a bunch of research and reading up on the Ninja History, I learned that they originally originated from Canada. It's funny, most people think they're from the East and that is partially true. However, this particular clan is from good ol' Canada. So, I hitched a ride on the first train up north and continued my journey for the Ninja Master..."
 
I gritted my teeth and glared at the cashier. To my suprise, he chuckled to himself and walked around the counter to stand in front of it. Ralph removed the glasses from his face and absently polished them with his shirt.
 
My eyes drilled into him as he stood before me. This was the Ninja Master. The one who I was destined to defeat. The one I never beleived existed. The one who took over a half an hour to get me a damned cup of coffee!
 
Ralph sighed a bit and finally put his glasses in his shirt pocket. Afterwards, he reached into his other pocket and retrieved a long piece of black cloth. He tied the band around his forehead and once again stared at me. There was no doubt that this was definatly the Ninja Master.
 
This time, I wasnt suprised to see the little white-clad man scurry from nowhere and stand between myself and the Ninja Master Ralph. He glanced at both of us then rose his hands in the air, "Round 3..." The pause between the words seemed like centurys but when they came, it was all worth it. "Fight!"
 
The white man ran out of the way just as Ralph and I began our battle. It started with both of us coming straight at each other. No strategy, no technique. Just two men who barely knew eachother but utterly hated each other, beating the daylights out of one another.
 
The Master moved like lightning. His non-athletic build was decieving as his arms and legs flew at me at unpredictable moments, each one delivering a blow that hurt twice as much as any of his underlings' did. My attacks werent quite as lucky. With one arm, the Master parried my blows while delivering his own at the same time.
 
After some time of beating, I finally backed off and stared at my enemy but disbeleif. Ralph grinned at me but made no movement to attack. He was enjoying this. Enjoying every moment of my torment.
 
I spat on the ground, blood coming with it then once again engaged my foe. Just like the last time, his blows were too quick and powerful and I found myself putting my hands up in a failing attempt to block his attacks. Finally, I felt myself falling toward the ground as the Master's foot kicked my own out from underneath me.
 
I crashed through a wooden chair and hit the ground with a loud crunch. Agony flowed through my limbs as I stared up at the cieling. The only sound I could hear was my own raspy breath and the tormenting laughter of Ralph.
 
It was over. I'd accepted defeat. The Ninja Master, the man I was destined to defeat, had turned the table. I'd failed myself, my grandfather, and my family.
 
"Never surrender."
 
The voice shouted in my mind. I closed my eyes and shook my head definatly.
 
"Defeat is never an option!"
 
The voice was familiar.
 
"Quitters never win!"
 
Grandfather.
 
"Remeber the eye of the tiger!"
 
I opened my eyes and saw Ralph standing over me. He grinned and rose his fist into the air.
 
"Damnit just get up, boy! I'm running out of encouraging messages!"
 
I clenched my fists just as Ralph's own hand came crashing down. With the last bit of my strength, I rolled out of the way as I heard a loud crash and a curse of pain from behind me.
 
Without even noticing, my hands pushed off from the floor and I found myself standing. Ralph once agian stood before me, now with anger on his face as he rubbed his red knuckles. The battle began once again.
 
I fought with newfound strength. My speed seemed multiplied as my attacks landed on the Ninja Master without restraint. I found myself pushing Ralph back against the wall. I delivered a strong kick to the Ninja Master's chest, heard a loud crack, and saw him fly up against the wall's shutters.
 
Ralph shouted in pain as his hands immediatly went to his chest. It wasnt until later on that I remembered that he'd put his glasses in his shirt pocket. However, it only took Ralph a second for him to recover his strenght and come flying at me once again.
 
This time, the battle was very dominated. My fists cracked against the Master's skull with such force that his head reminded my of a volleyball. I could feel the various bruises that would later show up on Ralph's body. I felt bones crack and muscles tear as I had my way with the Ninja Master.
 
Finally, one of my punches landed right on the Ninja Master's left cheek. I heard a nasty crack and Ralph was spun around, facing the opposite wall. Without a second's hesitation, I sprinted right for that same wall.
 
My foot planted against the wall and I pushed myself up into the upper corner of the coffee house. I turned my head around and looked down upon the Ninja Master. For the first time, I saw fear in his beady eyes as time slowed itself down. Then, I saw my own reflection in them and also for the first time, I saw who I truely was. A warrior. A defender.
 
Then, time finally sped itself up and I found myself springing off the wall. My foot connected with Ralph's jaw and in seconds, he was lying motionless on the ground.
 
I stood over the Ninja Master. My breath came quickly and my heart was beating at uncountable measures. Finally, I heaved a sigh and turned to take my coffee off the counter. Just as I started for the door, another of my grandfather's many sayings popped into my head.
 
"Never leave a resteraunt without paying."
 
I bit my lip as I remembered that the coffee house only accepted Canadian currency. Out of instinct, I reached into my coat pocket and to my suprise, found a hand full of Canadian Dollars. I smirked as I remembered that my grandfather had put my jacket on the coat rack only minutes before my leaving.
 
With a smirk, I threw the handfull of money onto the unmoving heap known as the Ninja Master Ralph then took my leave of the coffee house as a new man. A man who had completed his family's destiny.
 
-fin-