Fan Fiction ❯ Blue Ice ❯ Mission Accomplished…err and Then Some ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mission Accomplished…err and Then Some
Ren rubbed his temples as he felt the full effect of Lin's annoyingness…to call her annoying is an understatement. Perhaps she really meant well, perhaps she just want to help, either way, Ren wants to kill her.
“Brother Suo,” Lin said, “You shouldn't plan kidnaps, it's wrong.”
Suo sighed for the tenth time, “Sister Lin, we are not kidnapping anyone. We are rescuing Qian.”
“But Sister Qian doesn't need to be saved, she is with Brother Huan,” Lin insisted.
“I know, but we need Sister Qian to come home with us,” Suo explained…or at least tried desperately. He didn't want to fight Huan, but they need to return to the capital.
“But surely you should just ask Brother Huan for the escort of Sister Qian,” Lin stated.
Ren's blood boils in his veins. “If you are not to help, then go away!” he snapped.
Lin's lips quivered a bit before launching her fist at Ren, “Don't tell me what to do, you weakling!”
Suo sighed…how could they ever save Qian at this rate?
Finally, the view of Huan's mansion came to view, Suo let out a sigh of relief. Entering quietly, the three unlikely rescuers headed for the door.
“The door won't open,” Ren hissed as he failed to pick the lock.
Lin snorted as if it was obvious and took out a key. Smirking smugly at Ren, she unlocked the doors.
Ren looked at her in disbelief.
Suo shook his head…oh, well.
The inner courts were dark and no light shines.
“We'll split up to cover more grounds,” Suo said. “Ren take the west, Lin, the east, I'll go search the courts.”
All nodded in agreement.
 
Explanations
I didn't expect to see Lin running toward me in the middle of the night. I wasn't expecting Huan to be on the edge to murder her for disturbing his sleep. I exceptionally didn't expect to see Suo and Ren alive. But it all happened. I stared at them in disbelief.
“You're alive!” was all that I could said.
They smiled at me.
“Of course,” Ren scowled softly.
I hugged them both dearly. “I'm so happy.”
“Suo,” Huan interrupted the moment.
Ren tensed, seeing Huan for the first time.
“Huan,” Suo acknowledged. “It has been a long time. I see you remember Qian.”
“How can one forget?” he smirked.
I blushed.
Ren bustled slightly, and said to me, “We need to return to the capital considering the fact that the alliance was a failure.” His eyes never left Huan, and his hand clutched tightly on his sword, ready to attack.
“Ren,” I smoothed, “don't.”
Ren looked shocked at my request, and was about to refuse when Suo nudged him.
“Huan won't harm us,” he said to Ren.
Lin also inputted, “I agree with Brother Suo. Brother Huan won't harm you…or Sister Qian.”
Ren glared, loosen his grip. “We need to leave now, Princess.”
I looked distressed. My reasonable self knew I am needed in the capital; my kingdom and people need me. Yet, a part of myself does not wish to leave Huan.
“Surely we can compromise?” I asked hopefully.
Suo and Ren exchanged looks, while Lin look doubtful, and Huan…well, I didn't know what was Huan thinking…his face was impassive.
Finally, Lin, unable to withstand the silence, she spoke up, “We can try.”
Huan snorted, “The Imperial want us dead.”
Ren retorted, “Well, the Dragons want us dead!”
I tugged Huan by the sleeves, “There is nothing we can do to avoid this war?”
Huan shook his head. “The Imperial had hunted us, and resulting our desire for revenge. Now that we are so close to our goal, my men won't back down.”
Suo nodded, “Not to mention that the word is, Prince Jing is gathering men.”
My heart hurts. Over the short amount of time I had spent in the Red Dragon village, I had come to care for the people who live here dearly. I have come to love these mix-bloods as my own people. Yet now, my kingdom is on the verge of war with my new-founded friends. I can do nothing. Both sides are filled with hate.
Useless…utterly useless; I can do nothing.
Huan hugged me and sighed. “Go to the capital. Talk to your people, I will talk to mine.”
“Yes, and I will stay as a hostage,” Suo alleged. “As a promise that the Imperial meant no harm.”
“And I'll leave with Sister Qian,” Lin smiled.
I stared. “Huan…Suo…Lin,” I whispered.
Ren sighed. “Just like you Qian…always changing people.” He wiped my joyful tears away. “Well, then, come on. We need to stop the advancement of your brother's.”
I nodded. Maybe I am not that useless after all.