Fan Fiction ❯ Rising Paradise ❯ Through the Eyes of Strangers ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Metsuki immediately pushed herself against a tall wall, trying to avoid the chaos of soldiers running down the avenue. She brushed her hair out of her face, wondering what had happened, and held her belongings close to her. She had parted with the Kanaos twenty minutes ago, insisting that she would be all right and able to find the Hakuramo Manor. In her right hand, she clutched the white piece of paper firmly.

Along the streets, people have dodged to the side as the soldiers of Reishoru heavily escorted a band of peasant-looking men. They were men of strength and dignity in their clothing of rags and poor leather, marching after one another, head held high. "Excuse me, sir," Metsuki greeted a stand owner, "but who are they?"

"You must be new here." She nodded. "Those men are the local bandits around here. They've been alluding authorities for many months, but now they've been rounded up."

"I see." Metsuki watched the 'parade of justice' diminished towards the local court hall. "But they didn't seem to be the bad people."

The man smiled, "You judge fairly, Miss. Those bandits only loot from the upper class. There are rumors that one of the men betrayed them."

"Really?"

"Some said bribed by Justice Ginkaji," he said, shaking his head. "What is the world coming to?"

"You can't lose all hope."

He looked at her and said, "Right. Well, Miss, I have lots of fresh fruits today. Would you like to buy some?! I'll give you a cheap price!"

She shook her head. "I'm sorry. I'm looking for Hakuramo Manor. Can you tell me where it is?"

"Oh yes. Lord Hakuramo is a kind man. Keep going straight down this street. After the third intersection, take a right and then left at the sixth one and then you're there. You can't miss the place."

"Thank you!" she bowed and then hastily went on her way. Compared to Varnasho, Reishoru was twice its size with many more market corners than a person could count. She went passed many stands and shoppes, gaping at items she'd never seen before.


Rising Paradise

created & written by K-chan

Chapter Two: Through the Eyes of Strangers


Metsuki spotted a cloth store and immediately entered the place. Her eyes wandered around the small store with colorful fabric displaying the walls: pink, forest green, sea blue, cream with violet flowers, even butterflies and birds collaged on many pieces. She was delighted as such beauty and knew she would have to buy some one day. She smiled at the thought of making all kinds of dresses! She bid the girl keeper a good day and returned to her real purpose.

She counted her way to the third crossroad and saw a two-story restaurant on the right corner and a four-floored building on the other side. The building was very feminine with unlit red lanterns hanging at the entrance banisters, pink curtains peeking through shut windows. It was closed, but the liveliness could be sensed from inside. The smell of perfume was strong, making Metsuki nauseous. She quickly hooked right, passing by the restaurant while absorbing the aroma of exotic dishes. The scent left a yearning in her mouth, a taste she would soon have to try. She knew she couldn't put her selfish desires before her family. All her youth, she had lived for them, did everything for them.

She noticed the long street was less occuppied than the one she came from and the many other she wandered by. Were the Hakuramo family very influential in this city? She had heard their many generations before that they were highly respected by the royal family and the court of Morin. But generations later, the Hakuramos settled down and lived peacely in Reishoru.

When Metsuki arrived to the fifth intersection, she turned left into a wide path about forty or so feet, leading up to a huge staircase. Two tall, red doors faced the streets. On both sides of the doorway, lions of pure marble set on pedestals guarded the entrance. From the doorway, the giant, white walls stretched outwards surrounding the manor inside. The dark tiled roof exteneded about four feet from the wall indention, which seemed convenient when an onslaught of rain came.

She was overwhelmed by such sight, her limbs hardly inched from her spot. She couldn't believe she was about to enter the home of one of the most respected family in the era. She averted her eyes from the structure to the ground. She took a breath and then exhaled, deciding it was now or never. She held herself strong and slowly walked up the steps. Reaching the top steps, she straightened her clothes and hair and then knocked on the door.

Minutes later, the doors creaked back, and an elderly man stepped out. He was dressed in black from head to toe. A lengthy grey beard draped from his chin. His eyes were saggy with age. "How can I help you?"

"Hello," Metsuki bowed. "My name is Hiwara Metsuki. I'm here for the open position left my Kanao-san." Then she handed him the white paper she had.

He read the note and nodded, "I see. Yes, please come in. Lady Hakuramo has been expecting you." He moved aside and welcomed her in.

"Thank you." Her heart quickened as she set foot inside the doorway. Everything was so real to her, so it couldn't be her imagination.

The old gate keeper quietly closed the doors and lead her into the estate. "This way, please."

She nervously acknowledged him, "Ye-yes." She left the small corridor that separated the outer estate from the inner part where the building sat. From dimness to open brightness of the sun, she saw a magnificent splendor of greenery that stretched in the front lawn. Flowers were well kept and glittered in the light. Not a speck of dirt nor dead leaves dressed the stone pathway. Her heart fluttered at the acceptance of her new home. A home she had never dreamed of ever seeing.


Kounami Masaru let out a long yawned as he stretched his arms into the air. He couldn't believed he had almost slept till noon. But his bed was too comfortable to part from. Besides that, he stayed out late last night, trying to avoid someone. He rubbed his eyes, trying to focus them to the light of day, and yawned again. He wore a dark blue robe over his cream-colored underclothes and a brown sash held them in place. His sleeves tightly clung to his wrists, and black boots protected his feet and shins. He resembled a healthy, young man ready for adventure.

A breeze picked up and blew his red-orange bangs out of his eyes. He blinked a few times and then realized he had forgotten to brush his hair, "Oh shit!" He ran back to his room and quickly did his best to repair the mess left my slumber.

"Ja, Masa-chan!" called a voice. "Are you up yet?!"

Masaru opened the door to a young man, who looked about nineteen around his own age. "What do you want?" he blurted out, inconsiderately.

"Didn't sleep well, huh?" the man teased. He was dressed similiar to Masaru, but his garment was red and lined with dark green. He brushed his hands through a sea of blue hair that feel over his left eye. A short queue swung behind him.

"Sure, I did." Masaru lightened up somewhat and walked out of his room. "Where's your dad, Sunori?"

Sunori followed him outside into the open garden. "Otou-san was called in by Ginkaji-san." He sat down on a giant rock by the pond. "You remember those Seikuju Bandits around Reishoru?"

"Yeah." His arms were dropped by his side as he listened to his friend. He stood still and inhaled, raising his left arm and extending it before him. He held his right arm across his chest, moving gracefully with his legs as well. "Don't tell me they got themselves caught?!" he said, managing to concentrate on his exercise. "Idiots."

"Just an hour ago." Sunori smiled, amused by his friend's abilities. He stood up and walked in front of Masaru. "We never decided who was stronger." Masaru smirked, revealing his fanged tooth, and attacked with his fist straight to Sunori's face. The latter dodged the punch and officially engaged himself into the fight. The red-head wasn't going easy on his friend any bit and continued an onfront of quick punches toward the chest, which Sunori received as slight pains.

Sunori locked his Masaru's arms with his own, forcing both into a stalemate. He made the next move with his right leg, shifting it directly behind Masaru's own. His leg shoved against the other, tripping Masaru to the ground. Upset and not wanting to give in, Masaru climbed to his feet and wildly thrusted toward Sunori with an unpredictable sequence of kicks. He bent close to the ground and swept his leg out in a semi-circle. His opponent leapt into the air and flipped back onto the stone table.

Sunori held back for a moment and then pulled all his energy together as well as Masaru. The two shot their fists directly at one another in a battle of superior ki. The spiritual energy in each of their bodies were being forced through their fists, hoping to overthrow the other person into defeat. In this type of fight, the eye was useless in determining who will be the victor was. But the well-trained mind could sense the ki from a person.

He wasn't going to let Masaru when so easily, even if they were best of friends. He admired Masaru for his great determination and the will to never give up. Masaru smiled, knowing how stubborn Sunori could get at times. He knew they were equally matched and hoped someday he could surpass him. For now, he wasn't going to lose to him and hoped there would be no interruptions. Masaru cursed himself for thinking of his bewitching words, then his eyes caught a glimpse of a young girl. His eyes widened at the sight of her standing in the archway, completely blowing him away. He lost concentration, letting the opportunity for Sunori to blast him to the ground with great force.

Surprised, Sunori hurried to help him, "Sorry, Masa-chan. Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He winced at the pain of slamming to the hard ground so suddenly. He looked back at the archway, and no one was there. He sat down at the table with Sunori.

He thought the result of the spar was strange and then spoke to Masaru, "Are you sure? I mean, you just suddenly lost all focus..."

"I'm fine," he repeated, thinking about the girl but didn't recall seeing her face before. "Say, Sunori."

"What is it?"

"How many girls work in your home?"

Sunori looked at him if he had turned into a pig that instant, "Well, there's just Sayoko. The other ladies aren't that... young to be considered girls." He hoped none of the maids had heard him. "Why do you ask?"

Masaru looked away, "Nothing. I was just wondering."


Metsuki quickly picked up her pace after what happened. She was following the old man when suddenly they passed a patio where two people were present, which scared her. She had hoped they didn't see her but one did. His fiery red eyes had caught her and stared at her immensely. A chill ripped through her body when he was suddenly thrown back. She didn't know what was happening but she was worried that somehow she would get dragged into the situation.

She was so into her thoughts that she didn't realize the man had stopped, so she accidently bumped into him. "Oh I'm sorry!" she bowed, apologetically.

"Please wait here." He stepped into the room, leaving Metsuki to stand there. She could still here the man's voice even if she couldn't see through the unfolded panels of spring flowers decorated in front of the doorway. She thought it was beautiful and the poem too was filled with serenity, 'Sweet blossoms of gold. Drape your fragrance in the stars. In the world, your eternal altar.' She wasn't a sophisticated person, but from such praising words she had a vague idea that the item was a gift from a past emperor. It spoke of 'gold,' only royalty deserve such valuable recognition, and the 'fragrance' of power granted from the Heavens while the world is their 'eternal altar' of rule.

Metsuki sighed, thinking how difficult it is to be a member of the royal family--either being loved or hated. She was certainly glad she was not of the noble class either. She would rather live a simple life with her family. The old man returned and said, "Lady Hakuramo will see you now." He extended his hand towards the entrance, formally inviting her in. "Follow me."

"Hai." She obeyed and entered through the doorway, pushing aside the curtains hanging against the screen doors. She walked pass the panels and came into a spacious room. The length of the room was twice the width. Just staring at it, Metsuki concluded it was as big as her own house--just this room. On the lengthy sides of the room was a pattern of chair, small table, and chair, and it was repeated a second time down the row. The chairs and tables were of high quality wood and painted a dark brown to match the interior wooden beams above, in the roofs. Paintings of flowers hung around the room with similar words of poetry Metsuki had encountered earlier. At the front of the room where two chairs were on both sides of a table, a woman of great class sat.

Metsuki lowered her eyes to the ground and held her hands together near her left hip, slightly bending her knees--like all female servants greeting people of the upper class. "Hakuramo-san."

"You are Hiwara Metsuki?" she spoke, directly but with gentleness in her voice.

"Yes, My Lady." She stood quietly with her eyes still on the floor but could still the old man's shoes next to her.

"Lift up your face. I would like to see the young lady to whom I am speaking to." Metsuki slowly raised her head up, not sure if she should feel special or scared stiff, but she took the chance to carefully observe the lady of the house.

Lady Hakuramo was a well-dressed woman--not too simple and not too flashy. She wore a silk robe with spring flowers over her beige dress. Around her neck, pearls and gold jewelry dangled. A jade bangle decorated her left wrist. Her black hair was pulled back into a uniquely twisted bun. Ruby gem hair clips and golden barrets swarmed her hair, making if beautiful and attractive. Her make-up was light on her face except for the redness of her lips. Her penciled brows created a high arc, displaying her noble status. She too carefully gazed at Metsuki and smiled with approval, "You are very pretty, Hiwara-kun."

Metsuki averted her eyes away, feeling embarrassed, "Thank you."

"Please have a seat." The surprise hit her because of the amiable suggestion from an upper class woman to someone who shouldn't be treated so well like she was. Metsuki stared at her until Lady Hakuramo gestured her hand towards the chair, and she obeyed. She sat silently with her nervous hands hidden in her lap, awaiting the next words from the woman.

"Hiwara-kun, how is your mother doing? Is her health improving?" Metsuki was even more surprised by the question. How did she know? Did Kanao-san inform her of her present situation? But why was she interesting in her mother's illness? "Do not hesitate to speak."

She nodded, "Okaa-san... She is still ill. I feel she is getting worse each day, but I know one day she will be well again."

The woman smiled, noticing the hope in her eyes. "Kami-sama will watch over her. Now tell me about yourself, Hiwara-kun."

Metsuki felt confident with this question. She was asking about her abilities around the house. "I can cook. Any meal. I clean and do anything around the house. I'll run errands and tend to the gardens too. I can get up early and--"

Lady Hakuramo interrupts, laughing eloquently, "Oh no, Hiwara-kun. I want to know about your interests--what you enjoy doing. We can get to your job qualifications later."
Feeling quite embarrassed, she just wanted to hide herself in a cave. She was just a fool. She nodded in comprehension, "I like to read."

"Oh?" By the amused look on her face, she was intrigued by her reply. "Then you can write too?" It was very rare to find educated people among the lower classes. The highest level of education most of them would have had was that of a an eleven-year-old child. From the way Metsuki spoke with good grammar and formality, she knew her parents must have been from the middle class.

Metsuki nodded, "Hai. I was taught to read and write by my mother when I was a child."

"I see. What other activities do you like?"

She shyly looked to the floor with her fingers fidgeting the seam of her dress, "Besides reading, I do a lot of sewing."

Lady Hakuramo noticed Metsuki's hands and examines her outfit, "Did you make the dress you are wearing?"

"Yes."

She nodded her head, approvingly. "Yes, it is very lovely." She looked at the old man, "Kashi-san."
Kashi looked up, acknowledging his name, "Hai, Hakuramo-san."

"Please show Hiwara-kun to her room, and inform Sayoko of her new roommate. And also tell her to show Hiwara-kun around the estate."

"Hai." He turned to the girl, "Hiwara-kun."

Metsuki bowed low, filled with appreciation for letting her stay and work in the household, "Thank you so much."

Lady Hakuramo nodded and watched the two file out of the chamber. She shook her head, wondering how a young girl like Metsuki ended up in such a rough life: living in a small village; tending to a sick mother; trying to earn money for the family; and now serving in a noble's home. She didn't seem to mind that kind of life, "Such a simple girl."


Metsuki quietly followed Kashi, absorbing in every inch of the Hakuramo Manor as she possibly could into memory. She couldn't help thinking about the conversation with Lady Hakuramo. She didn't seem like the snobby noble people who look down at the lower class with disgust. She was kind and gentle and held lots of respect. Kashi lowered his barrier of formality and said, "The Hakuramos are very nice to us. They treat everyone equally." He stopped and let her catch up to him.

"It is an honor for me to work in their household."

He smiled, "You look about Sayoko's age. Just don't let her drag you into trouble." He turned away, laughing, "That granddaughter of mine is always into mischief." Metsuki felt lighthearted hearing this, and a faint smile grew on her face.


A young girl with two brown pigtails peeked around a corner. Her face was plastered with a sneaky expression. She silently tiptoed behind a tall hedge. Her clothing was a plain yellow color with borders of dark red at the sleeves around her wrists, matching her loose bloomers. She peered over the hedge and saw Sunori and Masaru sitting at the table. Masaru's back faced her, but Sunori could've easily seen her head poking out from behind.

Sunori asked his friend, "It's not that my family and I don't like you around, Masa-chan, but this visit has been pretty long, ne?"

Masaru grumbled, looking away with his head perched on his arm. "So I haven't seen you for a year. I'll just stay that long to catch up on what I haven't told you."

"But won't your mother be worried? Did you tell her how long you were gone for?" The red-head gave him a sheepish look. Sunori shook his head, "I can't believe you didn't even tell your mother about this! She's probably frantic about your disappearance!"

He stood up and walked away from the table. "Mom's too busy to even notice that."

"But still..." His voice trailed away, knowing well he couldn't say anything else in Masaru's mother's defence since he never met her nor heard anything about her. He knew Masaru well, but through the many years they've known each other, every time the topic of parents came up in their conversations, Masaru would openly avoid it. He wished to help his friend, but it was difficult if he didn't want to even talk about it.

With Masaru's back to everything, the girl slowly and quietly stepped out from behind the hedge with her finger to her lips, hushing an appalled Sunori. The latter just turned away with a tiresome look. The girl snuck up behind Masaru and was about to yank on his precious hair when Masaru turned around and grabbed her wrist. He glared at her, squeezing her wrist tighter and tighter until she winced from the pain. He let her go, practically yelling at her, "What the hell's wrong with you?!! I told you never to sneak up on me!!" He walked over to Sunori, "You too, Sunori. You shouldn't let her run around here like she owns the place."

She pouted, caressing her aching wrist, "Well I do live here! Plus Sunori and Lady Hakuramo don't mind me." She rushed to Masaru's side and hugged his arm, "Oh Masa-chan, you're no fun."
He pried his arm from her grasped with much haste, "Don't ever call me that!"

Sunori stood up, tired with the constant love-hate relationship if one could call it that, "That's enough, you two. Sayoko, don't you have to feed the horses today?"

Sayoko giggled, "Oh I just asked someone else to do it. I had to spend some time with Masa-chan!" She ran up to the young man and messed with his bright hair. "Neeh!" she stuck her tongue out and ran away.

Masaru burned with anger, "THAT BITCH!!" He chases after her, swearing he'll break her arm if she didn't stop annoying him.

Sunori flinched at the unnecessary name calling. "Masaru will be Masaru," he sighed and then ran after the two. "Hey! Don't run, guys!!"


Kashi and Metsuki stopped in their track when they heard laughing and yelling heading in their direction. They looked at one another, wondering what's going on. "Sounds like young Master Masaru," Kashi said, bewildered.

"And the laughing voice," began Metsuki, "belongs to a girl."

Then they saw the brunette girl running towards them, shouting, "Jii-chan! Jii-chan!" Right behind her came a cursing Masaru. Sunori lagged purposely behind.

"What did you do now?" Kashi asked his granddaughter, who quickly hid behind him.

"Masa-chan's teasing me again."

Masaru tried to hit her, but the old man was in the way as Sayoko held him as a barrier. "You started it!!" She stuck her tongue at him.

Metsuki stood aside, watching the charade, hoping it wasn't going to be like this every day. She saw the young red-head become a very rude and obnoxious person. She wasn't going to like him any bit. The girl was behaving like a child--too childish, even if she liked him. The only civilized person she saw was the young man with blue hair. He seemed patient and used to the situation happening often.

"Stop it, Masa-chan," Sunori pulled Masaru back. "At least give Kashi-san some respect."

The old man bowed, apologetically, "Thank you, Sunori-san. Please forgive my troublesome granddaughter, Masaru-san."

Masaru looked away, "Well, it's not my place to speak. If Sunori say so, then forget it." He noticed the girl he saw many moments ago. "You again." Now she was standing before him, close and clear. He could feel a mysterious aura radiating from her.

Sunori realized a guest was present, "Kashi-san, this is..." His eyes were fixed on the new girl's face. She was different from any girl he had ever seen or met. There was something tranquil and enigmatic about her. Her deep, blue eyes were pulling him towards her.

"Yeah, jii-chan, who is she?!" Sayoko tugged on her grandfather's sleeve.

Kashi patted her hands, "Well you should learn a thing from Metsuki here." He addressed Sunori, "This is Hiwara Metsuki. She is replacing Kanao-san."

Sunori nodded, "I see. I didn't know mother had hired someone so quick. And someone so young..."

"Forget young, she seems like trouble to me." Masaru walked around a nervous Metsuki, who wondered what he wanted from her. "I bet she'll be like another Sayoko here." Metsuki felt embarrassed as not to recognized the gentleman to be the son of the great Lady Hakuramo. At the same time, she wasn't sure of what Masaru was getting at. Was he still angry at what happened to him before? Was he blaming her for it?

"This is great! Someone my age!" cheered Sayoko. "C'mon! Metsuki was it?" She took Metsuki by the hand. "I'll show you around the place."
Kashi said, "Sayoko, she'll be staying in your room, and Lady Hakuramo has asked you to show her around too."

"Don't worry, jii-chan, I will. Let's go." Sayoko dragged her away. She was happy to have a friend but didn't know how happy the other girl was to leave the uncomfortable spot. Masaru crossed his arms, watching them leave. He felt strange all of a sudden as if something was about to happened. He never had any premonitions before, but this time. Maybe it was just meeting Metsuki face to face this time, but he pushed the feeling aside.


Koware stepped outside into the market from the inn he had settled into hours ago. He wandered in the streets, keeping his eyes open looking for something or someone. He walked to a pottery stand and chatted with the owner. The owner shook his head, "I'm sorry, but there're many young girls every day. I don't remember them all."

He thanked the man and left. If he kept searching this way, there's no way he'll find her. He didn't have lots of money to put up a reward. He decided to get some dinner early and found a small outdoor restaurant. The place was packed, but he managed to find a table with one person, "Excuse me, sir, but do you mind if I sit here?" He had noticed the old man was quite energetic. He was eating as if it were days he had last eaten.

Hiroshi looked up and said, happily, "Sit, sit. It's hard to find company." Koware sat down and ordered a bowl of ramen. "Hey, are you okay? You look like someone who just lost his only friend..." He realized what he said was wrong and lightly slapped his mouth for saying inappropriate words. "Sorry, sorry." The young man didn't seem offended though.

"Don't worry about it," Koware smiled, effortlessly.

Hiroshi raised his hand to a waiter, "Some wine over here, please!" He turned to Koware, another person who seemed to hold life in an optimistic way. "My name is Hiroshi. I'm pleased to meet someone like me. We shouldn't let things get us down so easily."

"Enjoy, sirs!!" The waiter came by with a bottle of wine and Koware's ramen and then left.
"I'm Koware." He picked up the bottle and poured the liquid into two small cups. "It's rare to see an old man filled with life."

Hiroshi laughed, "Old man, eh?"

Koware drank his cup and poured more. "I wouldn't blame you. If you don't feel old, then what anyone says doesn't matter."

He nodded, "I like your way of thinking, friend."

"If you don't mind having a young friend like me."

"Of course not. I am a friend..." He raised his cup into the air, "to life!"

Koware clapped his hands, chuckling, "Well said!"

"Are you gonna eat that?" he asked, pointing to the cooling ramen, which Koware contently pushed to him. Hiroshi quickly scarfed the noodles down. "So tell me... Koware... why... so down?" he inquired between chewing.

"I'm just looking for someone. I've been looking for her for months already, but..." his voice faded away.

"Girl, eh?" He stopped eating. "Pretty girl? Long, dark hair? Nice complexion? Very sweet and generous? She easily stands out in a crowd."

Koware's brows arched up. "Yeah... have you seen her?!!"

"Yep, couldn't miss her. She was mighty generous!" His hands dug into his pocket inside his cloak and pulled out a silver coin. He laid the item on the table before Koware. "I can tell she's a special girl."

This was it. Koware had hoped to see her again for many months already and now Fate would finally let him have his wish. Just to see her again, be with her. He would give everything up for her, even his wandering life. His heart was overwhelmed with memories and emotions as he thought of her. He thought of his beloved Miyu-chan.


Late one evening, a soldier, fully armored from head to toe, proceeded down a corridor. Tall poles with lit lanterns stood at every ten feet to dully light the way. He continued through many twists and turns and eventually arrived to his destination. One of the two guards on both sides of the doorway announced his presence to the lord inside the room. After moments of silence, the doors opened, and a young woman stepped out. She was tall and thin. Long blonde hair fell over shoulders. Her green eyes stared at him, emotionlessly. Even her voice was void of expression, "Lord Murakami permits you to enter."

The soldier nodded and made his way in. The private chambers of Lord Murakami was huge as expected. He followed the woman to the back, passing through the foyer. When he came into the bedroom area, he noticed how dark it became compared to the foyer. Only four candles were lit in the lanterns, but he could still see the figure sitting upright on the bed. One side of the curtains were untied and hung loosely by the bedside, making it seem the nap was interrupted. "Murakami-sama," he greeted, kneeling with his eyes on the floor. The woman took her place by the bedside.

"Speak of your report," commanded the figure, shrouded in the darkness of the room. His long hair lolled on his shoulders and flowed down his back.

"Three nights ago, the young emperor escaped the palace with his personal attendant. They have left the capital all together."

"Does Lady Shoutori know of this?"

"No, sire. Only two lady attendants know, but I have silenced them permanently."

"You've done well." He turned towards the woman, "Nishide, escort him out and give him his REWARD."

"Thank you, Murakami-sama. I shall work hard in your service." He bowed and walked out, followed by Nishide.

Moments later, cries of help were begged from outside, and immediately as it came, it soon disappeared. Soon, Nishide returned, "Your orders were carried out, Murakami-sama." She stood by the man with her hands poised on his shoulders. "What would you like for me to do about the young emperor?"

He placed his hand on hers, "Follow him. Keep him within your eyes--everything he does and everyone he talks to."

"And what about Lady Shoutori?"

"She will find out soon. But do not worry, I will deal with her."


TO BE CONTINUED... Chapter Three: Meeting by Chance