Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Caged Heart ❯ An Awkward Moment ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note:
 
Just in case you've forgotten - I still don't own Fruits Basket.
 
An Awkward Moment:
 
Tohru stood in the kitchen, silently stirring a pot of beef stew. Just stirring. And thinking. Thinking about what had happened not long before...
 
*********************************
 
After hearing... what she had heard... in the bathroom, she had rushed straight to her bedroom, acting as if she didn't hear it. Dropping her bag onto the floor, she simply sat on the bed, shocked. And blushing. Blushing like mad.
 
Then, five minutes later, she stood up, brushed imaginary dust off her skirt, and headed towards the bathroom. Loudly. In fact, she went out of her way to walk right into a doorway.
 
“Ow!!!” she exclaimed. “Woops! There I go again! Bumping into doors!” She laughed pathetically. “I wonder if I got a bruise? Good thing I'm on my way to the bathroom!”
 
She cautiously peeked into the bathroom.
 
It was empty.
 
Tohru sighed with relief.
 
“Well, that sure would've been an awkward moment. I'm kinda glad he wasn't still there...” She walked in, turning to face the mirror. `Even so...' A strange, small smile crept onto her face.
 
*********************************
 
Tohru still stood in the kitchen. Still stirring. Still thinking.
 
`I... just can't believe it...'
 
“Hey, Tohru.”
 
`Wow... Kyo... I guess it might explain some things...'
 
“Hello...Tohru?”
 
`All this time... all this time, I never noticed... Never noticed that he -'
 
“Yo!” called an impatient voice from behind her.
 
“What?” Tohru spun around. Kyo was standing in the doorway, blushing. “Woops! Sorry, I guess I wasn't really listening.” She started laughing pathetically.
 
“Umm, Tohru?”
 
“Yes, Kyo?”
 
“Well... uhh... you see..." Kyo's blush deepened. "You see...”
 
“Yes?” Tohru blushed. `Is he... going to tell me?' she thought, her heart pounding wildly.
 
“Well, uh...” Kyo scratched the back of his head. `Hell, this is weird...' he thought. `I feel like such an idiot...' He cleared his throat.
 
“Kyo?” whispered Tohru.
 
“Tohru, I -”
 
Then, with as much perfect timing as an armed convict in a four-wheel drive, with a bleeding hostage in the passenger seat, smashing through the wall of a house (while shouting vulgar profanities) in which a little, adorable girl was celebrating her fifth birthday while her friends and family were right in the middle of singing the 'Happy Birthday' song, Shigure's sing-song voice called from the door.
 
“Tohru! Yuki! Kyo! I'm home!!! I hope you didn't destroy the house while I was gone, or anything stupid like that!” Pause. “Especially you, Kyo!”
 
“- I think your stew is burning.” He ended lamely.
 
Tohru turned to look at the pot. Indeed it was.
 
“Oh my god! I forgot! Oh no! What do I do? What do I do?” Tohru rushed around the kitchen frantically, shrieking, trying to fix it, making it worse, apologising, trying to fix it again - pretty much acting like Tohru.
Kyo quietly slipped away.
 
“Phew! Well, I think it'll be ok, I mean it'll be a bit burnt, but if nobody minds - I mean I'm really sorry - we can always order out or something - I can make rice balls if anyone wants - I mean -” She looked up from the mess.
 
“Kyo?” And just like that, he was gone again. “Ky...Kyo?”