Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Black & White Heart ❯ Wouldn't Be So Bad ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Wouldn't Be So Bad

Ayame sat in the passenger seat of Hatori's car looking rather depressed, which for Ayame was quite a strange sight. He sat leaning his elbow against the window staring out to the back of Hatori talking with two of Yuki's school teachers, Yuki standing nearby with his head lowered. Ayame sighed and raised the bag of ice to his head, wincing slightly where his younger brother had punched him. He peered back over at them, trying to lip read what was being said. The two teachers seemed to be listening intently to whatever Hatori was saying, Hatori suggesting towards the car. The older of the teachers, a fairly tall man with greying hair and brown suit, looked over at Ayame and almost seemed to sigh. The younger male teacher, Yuki's class teacher, had his arms folded across his chest in matter of seriousness, looking at Yuki with a bemused expression on his face as if he was trying to decide whether to be angry or sympathetic. A few moments later, the older teacher walked up to Yuki and put his hand on his shoulder, Yuki still looking at the floor. Something was said and Yuki nodded quietly, the teacher walking away. A few more words were passed between Hatori and the class teacher before he turned to take Yuki back into the school. Hatori watched them go before turning around and heading back to his car. Climbing into the drivers seat Hatori simply sat there, no attempt to start the car, just sat, waiting for Ayame to say something.

"…..So-"

"You're lucky it wasn't suspension, but due to the circumstances of what you were doing to provoke him, and our old school head master knowing exactly what you used to be like, they sympathised. Yuki's been given detention."

Ayame had the decency to look away, feeling like he was the one being scowled by a teacher. A few silent moments passed before Ayame spoke up, "I just…don't understand." He said quietly, still looking away. Hatori turned his head to look at him, noticing the bruising beginning to show around his right eye. "I mean, I'm sorry for causing Yuki to act like that, but I don't understand why. I thought he would be happy that he shared something as special as he does with Haru, even if he doesn't realise it yet. I thought it wouldn't matter that people knew, that they may even encourage him. That's what I was doing, trying to bring them together a little more."

"And you thought that would help by bringing in a dress for him to wear?"

Ayame sighed, "Well, maybe I did go a little far on that side now I think about it. But I thought if people knew how they felt about each other, they wouldn't be so pressured to hide it. Yuki wouldn't feel he needed to. I want him to be happy." Ayame chuckled wryly, "I guess I really am not very good at anything like this am I?"

"Completely disastrous is another way of putting it."

Ayame sighed again, "I truly didn't mean to cause him so much trouble, I just wanted to see him with Haru. After how protective I saw Haru was when he chased Shigure and I away, I just knew that's what Yuki needed, after...everything." Ayame lowered his head, shifting his arm slightly and gently touching his black eye.

Hatori gazed at him for a moment. Ayame was beyond a doubt completely hopeless. He really did try hard after all, just in completely the wrong way. He'd never had to do anything like this before, and in that way, and that way only, Hatori felt a little sorry for him. He looked back at the steering wheel and brought out his keys, starting the engine.

"I know you mean well Ayame," he started, putting the car into gear, "You just always go about it the wrong way. Next time you want to do something for Yuki, make sure you ask someone you're doing the right thing first."

"What about--?"

"Shigure doesn't count."

-----

Tohru glanced at the clock for the 6th time in the last 20 minutes. It was already 10pm and Yuki still hadn't returned from his detention after school.

"Jeez what the hell are they making him do?" said Kyo, "Not that I really care." He quickly covered, going back to watching Takeshi's Castle on the TV, snorting with laughter as one of the contestants got caught out moving and rolled down the hill in his giant Peach suit. {1}

It was at that moment that there was a loud crashing sound of the sliding door being slid back into place very harshly when a very rigid looking Yuki came into the Living room. He looked exhausted, his hair looking dusty and eyes dull, but above all, he looked furious, a glare that made even Kyo bite back any comments he was trying to thinking of.

Dumping his bag by the wall, Yuki took a quick glance around the room, "Where's Haru?" His voice was stern, obviously trying to contain the anger he felt.

Tohru didn't like that, "Umm, he-he's upstairs in your room doing hom-"

But before she could finish Yuki was already half way up the stairs. She frowned worryingly. What was Yuki going to do? She felt like they were only minutes away from some kind of horrific tornado, the pressure building and building before suddenly it would just release and the world around them would explode. She didn't like that feeling when she knew it was coming from Yuki, someone usually so kind and peaceful. She had watched him throughout the day after he had returned from the fight he had gotten into with Ayame in the middle of the crowded school corridor. It had scared her to see him fighting like that. Yuki looked like he was ready to kill his brother, seemingly not to care about the audience he had and the three teachers that were trying to tear them apart. When Yuki had returned to class he didn't seem to have any emotion on his face at all, refusing to look at anyone, not even her. Throughout lunch Yuki had gone round the entire school tearing down every photo he could find, his eyes gaining a little more anger with every one he took down, each of them obviously reminding him about why he had tried to beat up his brother. After lunch and the school was finally clear of the photos, Yuki's anger really began to boil again. No one talked to him. After what they had seen him do in the corridor, this was a new light they were seeing him in, and although he didn't know it, nearly all the students were on his side, now they knew it was just an 'idiotic prank' they could understand why he would act the way he did for they would probably have down the same. The strangest thing of all though is that Haru had tried to talk to him, but every time he got anywhere near Yuki, Yuki would glare at him and walk away, leaving a confused and sad expression on Haru's face. She had seen the look on his face when Yuki first began to tear down the photos during lunch. Haru watched with lifeless eyes at the sharp movements Yuki ripped the photos down and tearing them up, his brow slightly furrowed as if he was disappointed he was watching them being taken down. When the end of school came, Yuki automatically headed straight to the teachers lounge for his detention, and when Haru run out of his own classroom door running down the corridor towards Yuki, Yuki brushed straight passed him without so much as a glance.

Yes, Tohru could feel it. This wasn't a normal anger, something in Yuki had snapped, and she wasn't sure if either one of them was going to come out unharmed.

-----

The door to Yuki's room slid open so harshly it bounced back, but Yuki had already stormed through. He found Haru standing on the balcony, staring out into the black treetops, his breath like mist in the chilly air. Hearing the door, he turned around.

SLAP!

Haru's wide eyes found himself staring down to the floor on his left, his right cheek stinging red. Slowly looking back up, he found Yuki glaring wrathfully at him, standing in the doorway from the balcony to his room blocking any escape exits. Not that Haru would have a reason to escape. Why was Yuki angry with him?

"Yuki..." Haru started, not quite sure what to ask.

"You know," Yuki began through clenched teeth, "Now I'm here I don't even know what to say to you."

His eyes almost seemed to be wavering, and to be truthful the look Yuki was giving him scared Haru. "Yuki...I...don't know what's wrong."

It became apparent that that was the wrong thing to say.

"DON'T KNOW?! YOU PLANNED THIS!!"

Haru blinked. He hadn't expected him to say anything remotely like that. And more importantly he had no idea what to say that wouldn't make Yuki even madder, if that was possible. He chose to be quiet. He didn't know what Yuki was talking about, but whatever it was he obviously needed to get it out of his system, so Haru just stood there facing him, taking everything Yuki through at him.

"You were walking around school this morning with that stupid grin on your face after that fight. You were HAPPY that those photos were up weren't you!? No other normal person would be happy after being humiliated like that; you probably made Shigure take that photo and wound Ayame in to put them up making him think he was doing something right for a change! I can't believe you!!"

It was that point Haru felt like he should say something, trying to ignore the pang of pain that ripped through him at that point, "You think I would get a kick out of putting those photos up?"

"Well obviously you did! You didn't see me smiling did you!? This has been the most humiliating day of my life thanks to you! And to think I was starting to say to myself that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to stay with you!! I thought that kiss was supposed to mean something!!" Haru shot his head up at that point, eyes wide, unbelievingly but hopeful. But it seemed Yuki didn't realise what he had said, "It disgusts me to think you would do something like that!! YOU'RE JUST AS BAD AS AKITO!"

The brightness in Haru's eyes suddenly disappeared and that pang of pain returned shooting through his heart turning it into anger. Before Yuki could continue in his rant Haru ruthlessly pushed on his shoulders backwards into the room, Yuki's knees buckling as he hit the side of the bed falling down with Haru on top of him. But for once that didn't deter him, Yuki was as furious as hell and the thought that Haru was trying to do 'this' now only served to fuel his anger.

So it was a surprise when he found himself unable to move, Haru having trapped his hands at his sides, livid grey eyes glaring down at his own. Although he was still angry, Yuki suddenly felt like he had lost the upper hand. These were eyes Yuki had never seen up close, and never directed at him. He lost the words to say as Haru continued to glare at him.

"Don't…ever…compare me to Akito." Haru's voice was quiet, low and dangerous, and it was difficult to tell if Haru had turned Black or not.

But that wasn't the main thought Yuki was having. Haru had never gotten this kind of angry before when someone mentioned Akito. A year ago Kyo was idiotic enough to, admittedly jokingly, but compared Haru to Akito for his rapid loss of emotional control, and was sent flying through a window.

But this.

This was an anger Haru just didn't do. He was either calm or furious, not a calm furious.

It was…disconcerting.

"Don't compare me to him." He repeated slowly, not once looking away. A few quiet moments passed, as the cold night winter air blew around the room. Haru very slowly rose up off of Yuki and he sat down on the bed next to him, looking away to the side. Yuki stayed where he was. "I don't know why you think I had a hand in doing this," Haru said, his voice having lost the sudden harshness, but it held a tone that said not to be interrupted, "but I was just as surprised as you were to see those photos this morning." Yuki slowly sat up and moved back to his headboard leaning against it. For some reason he suddenly felt very tired. "It hurts me to think that you would automatically think I would do something as low as that."

Yuki glanced away. He was ashamed, that's why he felt tired. He glanced back to look at Haru's back, as he sat there on the edge of the bed looking away through the balcony doors.

"I'm sorry," Yuki began, his voice too having lost its harshness, and now almost seemed lost and childlike "But if you didn't have anything to do with it, then why aren't you angry?"

Haru stayed looking outside, watching the stars disappear as an invisible night cloud drifted over them, "Well," he started, almost whispering, "I guess as far as I'm concerned, I don't see why I should be angry. I mean, I was angry at first, but when I thought about it, I didn't know why I was. I have nothing to hide, and now everyone knows how I feel about you, I won't have to hide anything at all. It won't matter any more how I act around you, or if I hug you or-"

"Haru we are not together there is a lot to hide."

Haru's shoulders slumped slightly and he turned to look at Yuki, eyelids slightly lowered, "I know we're not."

It was such a simple sentence, but the tone of Haru's voice made Yuki feel guilty. But why should he feel guilty for not being with him? Come to think of it, Haru had been waiting patiently for years now, but never once, at least in his normal white personality, has he ever tried to push a further relationship with him. He just stuck by him, and for the first time Yuki realised that Haru truly wanted to be with him. It was a strange thing to realise really, especially now of all times. All this time, if Yuki had asked, Haru would have been round here like a shot. Yuki pondered this as he watched Haru, the pale moonlight filtering though the open balcony. Haru was one of a kind that was for sure. He was the kind of person who looks out for others. His white personality was one that would spend hours in the pouring rain looking for a lonely lost child, and make sure she was happy again before leaving her. Yuki thought back to that day when Haru had hugged Kisa after she spoke for the first time. He was so protective of her, so caring.
He so badly regretted comparing him to Akito now, he hadn't really meant to, he was just so angry he didn't really realise what he was saying.

"Am I really something to be so ashamed of?"

Yuki's eyes widened slightly. Ashamed? Someone who loves and cares like he does? Yuki looked away again, now really feeling ashamed of himself.

"No." Come to think of it, why am I angry?

Haru's eye lightened at that one word and his expression softened. Quietly, he crawled over the bed and sat next to Yuki, gathering him up in his arms.

"Good," he said softly, "I don't like to think you don't like me."

Why am I angry? Yuki continued to think, as he slowly put his arms around Haru in return and resting his head under Haru's chin,

Why should I be angry about this?

-----

Shigure sat in his office chair staring up at the ceiling above him. He had over heard the shouting part of Yuki and Haru's 'conversation'. Now it was quiet, he figured they had either made up or punched each other out. Shigure hoped it was the first one before splitting into a soppy grin,

"Ah, the lovers first tiff."

-----

Tohru knelt at the table chewing the sleeves of the light blue jumper she was wearing over her school uniform. Unfortunately for Kyo and Shigure, Tohru was so worried about Yuki and Haru that she had hardly slept at all, and when she came downstairs didn't start making breakfast but instead just sat down and stared at the door where she waited for them both to walk down the stairs. No matter how much she had tried to calm herself thinking that they obviously made up as Haru wasn't sleeping down here, she just couldn't keep herself from shaking with worry, and Kyo wondered if she was going to have a nervous breakdown. He sat there facing her, stomach uncomfortably growling its protest at being empty, where it seemed he had somehow got into a one sided blinking competition with her, Tohru not paying attention at all, and Kyo wondering if she realised he was even there.

Haru walked into the room.

Tohru shot up from the floor.

Yuki walked into the room.

Tohru smiled hopefully.

.......They were holding hands.

Tohru stared for a moment before smiling an ecstatic grin. Kyo stared for a moment before rolling his eyes in distaste and walking away into the kitchen. Shigure walked in through the front door with a shopping bag, stared for a moment, before his face started to turn red as he walked past them to the kitchen, desperately trying not to burst into giggles.

-----

Yuki, Haru, Tohru and Kyo all walked to school together. It had begun to snow ever so lightly, but not enough for it to start settling just yet. Tohru was in a deep conversation with Yuki, smiling so much he was sure her face would just divide in two. Haru and Kyo walked with them in silence, Kyo often glancing across at Haru who seemed to be staring at him.

Once. Twice. Again. Another glance.

"WHAT?!" Kyo demanded, startling Tohru from her talk and looked at Kyo.

Haru blinked, "Nothing." he said calmly.

Kyo clenched his fists trying to calm his out burst before growling loudly and storming off down the road.

"Kyo!!" Tohru called out, running after him.

Yuki smiled, Tohru felt like she had to always look after all of them, it was sweet. This of course left him alone with Haru. They weren't far from the school, so Haru just smiled at him and continued walking, Yuki at his side.
Yuki started to run over in his mind everything that had happened. He woke up this morning still hugging Haru on his bed. His automatic reaction was to move as soon as possible, but as the panic surprisingly and quickly subsided, he decided this was actually very nice.
That thought had scared him, and he had slowly looked up at Haru's sleeping face, slightly turned towards Yuki. No, it wasn't because it was Haru. Any Sohma welcomes any hugs they can get without turning into an animal. Any hug from anyone was treasured, as there were very few they ever got, especially in Yuki's case. Yes, that was it. It was nice to be hugged, by anyone, not just Haru.

"I was starting to say to myself that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to stay with you!!"

Yuki prayed to whatever God existed that Haru hadn't really taken that in, for the simple reason that, when looking at Haru's peaceful face so close to him, his arms wrapped around him so warmly, it was beginning to feel like a good idea.

And he didn't feel like he deserved him.

Walking down the pathway past the school gates, Yuki forced away the blush he felt thinking about the boy next to him wrapping his arms around him and looked up to see Kyo and Tohru having stopped nearer the school, seemingly staring at something. Yuki suddenly had a cold feeling of dread, and apparently Haru had thought the same for they both ran up behind them to see what was happening.

The blush Yuki was trying to hide decided to make its appearance.

The school was covered in Mistletoe.

To Be Continued...

{1} - Ahh, Takeshi's Castle. Dunno if the USA shows it (although they must do as the US is so lucky to have entire channels dedicated to anime when us poor English have only a Cartoon Network that shows Dragonball Z and Outlaw Star and that is about IT anime wise), but it is a Japanese active gameshow dubbed over in English (hosted by Craig Charles, the guy who plays Lister in Red Dwarf, again if anyone has seen that either), and it is just absolutely hilarious! The scene I put in here that Kyo was watching was where about 10 people had to dress up in giant Peach costumes and try to walk up this slippery plastic up this hill. There would be a guy at the top looking away from them and if he turned around all the Peaches have to stop moving. If the guy sees one move they have to deliberately fall over and go rolling down the hill. It's so funny!! Look out for it!