Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Black & White Heart ❯ State Of Confusion ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: State of Confusion

I really must stop worrying so much, Tohru thought to herself as she made her way to History class with Uo and Hana. During lunchtime registration Yuki hadn't been at his desk, and it was the teacher next door who had come to their classroom to sort things out. I hope Yuki's okay, wherever he is.

Uo pulled Kyo to one side by his collar when he raced by being chased by the same girls this morning.

-----

Yuki sat in a small office in front of a desk where his class teacher sat behind. He had put his school jacket on to cover up the large tear in his shirt. The teacher sat with his arms crossed looking at Yuki intently as he sat there in silence, staring at the wood pane on the polished desk.

"I'm not bringing the Principal in here, reason being I think we can sort this out quietly without him being informed." Yuki continued to stare at the table, too ashamed to meet his teacher's eyes. "Now your behaviour over the last two days has been beyond unacceptable, and I thought I made that clear with your detention yesterday."

Please no, you don't understand!

"Now I don't know what has caused you to act like this, although perhaps what I've heard about your brother from the Principal I can understand the impulsive action you took yesterday."

Here it comes

"But that nor anything else excuses what you were doing at lunch today."

Let me just sink into the floor

The teacher sighed at Yuki's unresponsiveness, "Look, you are one of our most promising students, I just don't want you falling down the wrong path. Now I will be having a word with Kane Murasaki later, but it's you I am more worried about. What you do in your own time is of course entirely up to you, I'm not holding that against you at all. But during school hours I cannot stress enough that behaviour of that today is an utter disgrace."

Yuki felt sick. He was so ashamed even though nothing had happened. There was no point in saying that though, with the scene that his teacher must have been greeted with there wasn't much that could be said to excuse it. I need to invest in some clothes that don't rip so easily Yuki's attempted joke to make him feel better didn't work.

"Now do I make myself clear when I say this behaviour must stop immediately?"

Yuki nodded slowly, "Yes sir." He managed to say without wavering.

"If I catch anything out of order again than the Principal will be informed do you understand?"

"Yes sir." he replied automatically.

The teacher watched him quietly for a moment, "Yuki look at me." He commanded softly. Yuki raised his eyes to meet his elders. "If there is anything you want to talk about, anything that's on your mind that you may have questions about...?"

Yuki's eyes widened slightly, he wasn't going to get 'The Talk' was he?

"It's just you're obviously going through the stage of...exploration, shall we say." Yuki couldn't believe he was having his conversation with his own teacher and couldn't hide the shock that was evident on his face. His teacher noticed this and smiled, "Don't worry Yuki," he chuckled, "I'm not going to say anything more on that matter. But if there is anything at all you want to talk about, I'd be more than happy to hear you out okay?" Yuki smiled faintly and nodded. "Alright then, you better get back to class."

Yuki rose from his seat and walked out of the office door, closing it behind him. Leaning against it for a moment, Yuki sighed deeply to calm his nerves. Well, that could have gone a lot worse. Where's Kyo when you need him to take your frustration out on?

"There he is!!"

Yuki turned to his left to see the all the fanclub girls standing a way all glaring at him dangerously.

"Err, don't you have class?" Yuki tried after a pause, before he found himself running for his life as the girls chased him down the corridor.

Apparently they still wanted that kiss, although some of the others looked like they were about to murder him for not; 'Liking girls the way all guys should!' Yuki wondered if he'd ever have a normal day at school ever again, running towards the History class he would have to interrupt and apologise for being late for. Once arrived he jerked open the door and practically flew inside, turning around to close it and lean against it to stop the girls from coming in. One by one there were various thumps from the other side of the door as each one of the girls ran straight into it and fell into a heap on the ground. Breathing heavily, Yuki turned around to face the class.

"You know, this is beginning to become a common occurrence with him isn't it?" said Uo to Tohru, as Yuki realised his jacket had come undone during the race to the room and was standing there bare chested in front of the class, again.

Well, at least he didn't have Haru all over him like last time.

-----

Haru yawned, entirely bored with all the girls staring at him. Exiting the class he'd just had as the end of school bell rang, he walked calmly down the corridor towards his classroom to fetch his bag and go home. He began to wonder how Yuki was coping with all this Mistletoe around, he had seen all the girls following him around hoping to get their chance at 'his' Yuki. Haru smiled stupidly to himself, wondering what it would be like if he were in the Prince Yuki Fan Club.

"WILL YOU LEAVE ME ALONE!?!"

He glanced to his right as Kyo raced past him with the same girls chasing him; "You can't get away Kyo!"

Persistent aren't they?

He walked through a swinging door into the main entrance Hall and headed towards another corridor, passing three boys talking in the corner.

"You know I knew there was something weird about that Murasaki." Said one, picking at an invisible piece of dust on his sleeve.

"I can't believe he actually asked Yuki Sohma, of all people, on a date!"

Haru froze in the doorframe as the boys began to move away.

"I still can't believe he actually told us, it's like he's boasting about it."

"Little pervert, like anything alive would want to go out with him. I kinda feel sorry for Sohma."

One of them nudged the other in the ribs, "Aww what, you fallin' for him too?"

The other guy whacked him on the head.

As the boys walked away laughing, Haru gazed in shock at the space in front of him.

Murasaki.

He was that creepy guy in Yuki's class, always staring at everyone and smirking like his very existence was all some big plan. Haru clenched his fists at his side and narrowed his eyes, how dare some idiot like him go anywhere near Yuki! Just the very thought made him cringe! Then a very unwelcome thought entered his head. If this guy had asked Yuki out, what did Yuki say? An overwhelming urge of panic erupted as he ran to find Yuki, ignoring the protests of a girl who had caught him standing under the mistletoe in on the doorframe.

-----

The end of school bell was a very, very, very nice sound. Yuki gathered the books he'd need for this evening from his locker hoping to get home as quickly as possible.

"Hey Yuki." Yuki flinched a little at that voice and turned around to see Kane standing there opening his locker with one hand. Yuki glared at him for a moment before deciding he wasn't worth it so grabbed one last book and shut his locker. "I guess you had the little chat aswel?" Kane said, as Yuki glanced his way swinging his rucksack over his shoulder.

"Goodbye Murasaki."

He was about to walk away when he felt a hand on his shoulder and a voice very close to his ear, "So what do you say? About dinner I mean?"

Yuki grabbed his hand flung it away from him, "I already said no." he said sternly, finding it very difficult to stay calm around him as he slowly got on his nerves.

He tried to walk away again but Kane grabbed his shoulder forcing Yuki to turn around and face him, "Why not?" he said, rather annoyed off he'd finally got his chance and Yuki still wanted nothing to do with him.

"I already said," Yuki began, forcing his voice to be calm, "I'm sorry but I-"

"Don't say you don't like boys." Kane interrupted, "You know damn well that's not true, I mean look at that photo, and I've seen the way you look at Hatusharu." Yuki blinked. Had he really been looking at Haru like that? "Why can't you give me a try? I mean it's not like you're with him right? That's what you tell me, so why not?"

It scared Yuki that the guy actually had a point.

He wasn't with Haru, which is what he had been telling himself all this time. But still, the thought of going anywhere with Kane who looked like he wanted to jump him at every possible moment was not the alternative, whether he was with Haru or not. So as harsh as this was going to sound, he was going to have to be blunt with him to get the point across.

"Because I don't like you."

Kane blinked and let go of Yuki's shoulder, "Oh." He said, as if he had expected him to say that all along but a part of him hoping he wouldn't. He stood there looking at the floor for a moment before looking up and smiling, "Oh well, it doesn't matter." He said, the smile not quite reaching his eyes.

Yuki frowned, he took that awfully quickly.

"I guess it was just too good to be true to think someone would actually like me. It's no problem, can't blame me for trying huh?" he chuckled lightly. But the smile faded and he looked towards the floor again, "I'm sorry," he said quietly, "About earlier I mean. I guess I was just trying to be too confident and, it didn't come across the way I meant it to."

Yuki's expression softened, he was actually feeling a little sorry for him.

"And I'm sorry for kissing you. That was way out of line I know." He looked up from the floor and looked at Yuki, "I was just hoping that, you know, as you're the 'nice guy' around here, I was hoping that I might stand a chance to at least be friends with you if nothing else."

Yuki watched him for a moment before smiling gently, "Perhaps...you should try to listen to other people around you. You always watch everyone in the background, perhaps if you listened to how they act around their own friends, maybe you could learn how to make friends yourself." Kane blinked as if he had just realised something very very obvious, "I know people think that I'm the popular one," Yuki continued, "But until I met Miss Honda I never really spoke to anyone. She told me to just be yourself, don't try and be something your not. You're trying to hard, stop pretending, let people see you for who you really are."

Kane looked at him wide eyed, having for the first time heard someone being nice to him. He glanced to one side as if to think about his words, before looking back up at Yuki and smiling.

A true smile that this time reached his eyes.

"Thanks." He said, his smile turning into a grin, the awkwardness between them finally lifting as Yuki smiled back.

However, in the background unseen and unheard by the two of them, hiding behind a further stack of lockers and benches, a struggling Momiji was trying to hold back a growling Black Haru glaring daggers at the back of Kane's head.

"Let me go!! I'll tear him to shreds!!"

It was a little difficult to move however with the hyper blond bunny clutching to his back giggling softly, legs wrapped around his waist and arms around his neck.

"Hhehe, Haaaruuu's jeeellooous!"

-----

"I'm home." Yuki called out to the ever-waiting Shigure, only to find himself greeted by an empty house.

Poking his head round his Office door, Yuki found Shigure asleep at his computer, his head resting on the keyboard snoring softly leaving a very long line of random letters across the screen. Yuki presumed he had been up the whole night trying to meet his deadline and was practically dead on his feet when he fell asleep. Turning around,

"Wah!"

Yuki jumped back in surprise to see Kyo standing right behind him looking utterly exhausted. "How the HELL do you deal with those…those girls!?" he panted, leaning one arm against the wall.

Yuki looked at him curiously, "You have a lipstick mark on your cheek." He said, pointing at the pink glossy patch.

"I KNOW!" Kyo howled, "Why the heck do you think they stopped following me!!?" and with that exclamation stormed up the stairs to wash off the offensive product.

"Hhehehee..." Yuki turned back to look at Shigure to find him giggling in his sleep. "I'll look after your daughter........heheheee.........opps did I spill that on you......."

Wanting to hear no more of whatever Shigure's perverted little mind had come up with to dream of this time, Yuki walked away and closed the door behind him. There he found Haru taking of his shoes by the door, who instantly shot up straight and hid something behind his back, a look of pure innocence shining on his face. Yuki stared at him for a moment before more of Shigure's giggling could be heard through the door, so instead walked towards the Kitchen. Haru stayed still and watched him walk out of sight, before quickly running up the stairs to Yuki's bedroom.

-----

Shigure walked into the Kitchen, his nose following the usual delicious smells found wafting around the house this time of night. He found Tohru chopping up carrots on a wooden board and he leant against the kitchen doorframe, admiring her for a moment.

That is until Yuki walked up behind him.

"Whatever you were dreaming about in there you better not be thinking about that with Miss Honda in mind." Shigure spun around and laughed anxiously as Yuki ignored him, checked to see if Tohru was okay, then walked up the stairs to his room to tell Haru dinner was nearly ready.

Sliding back his door, Yuki instantly found himself enveloped in Haru's arms in a tight hug, "H-Haru, what-?"

"Can I just hold you for a minute?"

Yuki blinked into his room and nodded his head, as Haru rested his forehead on Yuki's shoulder. After Kane and Yuki had the left the locker room, and Momiji had somehow managed to calm him down by being generally cute and jumpy and distracting, Haru had been in a very huggable mood all evening. He was going to have to keep an eye on that Murasaki idiot. Being nice from now on or not, he'd make sure he kept his hands away from his Yuki. To be honest, it had been such a tremendous relief to know Yuki hadn't said yes to the date, Haru just wanted to hug Yuki to make sure it was real, that he was still here. He didn't want to let go, but if he didn't move back a little he wouldn't be able to show Yuki the little something he had brought home from school. So, leaning back again, smiling softly, Haru quickly glanced upwards. Taking the supposed hint, Yuki looked up to see them standing under a small branch of Mistletoe.

The blush that appeared on his cheeks spread quicker than the early morning sun rising over the desert.

Haru simply grinned childishly, "Sorry, I couldn't resist."

Yuki seemed to be stuck on what to do. Half of his brain was telling him to leave immediately saying that "you held out on all the mistletoe at school why should you give up now?", while the other one was practically dying at the adorable look Haru was giving him and was dreamily saying, "just let him kiss you."

Although it wasn't quite as emotional as the last part of his brain, Yuki didn't move away as Haru timidly moved forward, never taking his eyes off Yuki's, almost asking permission. When Yuki still didn't move, Haru took it as the best yes he was going to get, and pressed his lips against Yuki's.

He loved moments like this. It was like he had been born just to kiss Yuki. Every sound disappears except for the beating of his heart, the feeling of butterflies in his stomach that only Yuki could bring, the warmth of Yuki's silky lips as fingers intertwine with his own. Yuki made him feel light and happy, every moment like this he just fell more and more in love with him. It was pure paradise.

For Yuki though, whenever Haru kissed him it was always one of the most confusing moments of his life. First of all he wondered why he let Haru kiss him. Then he wondered why he wondered why he let Haru kiss him. Then he wondered why he wasn't pulling away, then he wondered why he wasn't kissing back, then...oh, there was no point. Kissing Haru was simply a state of confusion, so it was better off not to do anything. Just stand there, eyes still open barely an inch away from Haru's blissfully closed ones, letting his fingers interlace with Haru's. It did feel nice, he would admit to that, in fact it felt wonderful. Haru was so gentle, he never ever pressed for anything more, in his White mode anyway. He was just content to be near him, stealing the odd kiss with that silly smile on his face. But despite how nice it felt, Yuki still didn't kiss him back, and he wondered if it hurt Haru that he didn't.

This shouldn't be happening he thought to himself.

Why shouldn't this be happening? his brain argued back, for it was the same excuse every time.

………………I don't know.

A short while later, Haru lip's left their safe haven and he looked at Yuki with such a loving expression it made Yuki feel guilty. He looked away, embarrassed and ashamed at the same time. He knew he was hurting Haru. He may smile all the time, but it must hurt him surely, to know that the person he loves doesn't seem to want him back. Yuki's inner child almost giggled at the thought that Haru loved him, but the state of confusion he was in overpowered that thought and he just stood there awkwardly, not sure what to do or say.

"That was cheap I know," Haru smiled warmly, taking the Mistletoe down, "But as I said…I couldn't resist." Haru's eye caught Yuki's own.

Unlike earlier, that comment almost seemed to be directed right at him, which didn't help the blush that refused to remove itself from Yuki's cheeks. It was another awkward moment as they stood in the doorway to Yuki's room just looking at each other. A small voice in the back of Yuki's mind was saying that Haru couldn't actually go anyway until he got out of the way of the door, but still his legs refused to move.

That is until there was a flash of white light and Yuki looked to see Shigure crouching round the corner on the stairs holding that damned camera to his eye, "Eheheee..." he giggled timidly, before Yuki's legs decided to move.

"SHIGURE!!!!!!!"

To Be Continued...