Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Black & White Heart ❯ Under A Spell ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12: Under A Spell

Kyo was pissed off.

Every time he tried to place his chopsticks to his lips to actually eat what was there, either Shigure or Yuki would race past him at such a speed the wind force would knock the food right off the sticks. It had been like this for about half an hour and Kyo's food was pretty much cold. Opposite Kyo sat Tohru, thinking to herself that at times like this perhaps she should save up to buy a microwave so she could warm up everyone's food again once Yuki had either 1) Calmed down, or 2) Caught Shigure. Haru sat next to her calmly eating the deliciously prepared food, idly watching Shigure being chased around the house with disinterested eyes.

"GIVE ME THAT CAMERA!" Yuki's voice rattled throughout the house, as Shigure suddenly came bounding back into the living room, flying past the table (knocking Kyo's food out of his hands) and running out the paper doors.

"Now now Yuki there's no need for such aggressive behaviour young man." Shigure said, standing at the door and waving his finger trying to act parentally, holding his camera to his chest with his other hand.

Yuki flew past the table (Kyo slammed his chopsticks on the table and tried not to explode) with an arrow-straight eye dead lined for Shigure, while Shigure yelped and spun on his heal ready to run around the house for the seventh time, when,

"SHIGURE!!!!"

Running up the path behind him was Mii, looking dangerously angry as usual. Shigure quickly looked from one direction to the other. On one hand he had a furious Yuki, on the other was a furious Mii, and neither one was that appealing. Jumping out of the way, the closing enraged pair suddenly realised that their target for immense pain was no longer in their sight, and instead there was each other.

Shigure suddenly wished he hadn't moved as Yuki and Mii ran straight into one another.

Poof!!

In a cloud of soft pink smoke, the once human shaped Yuki now stood on the wooden porch as a small grey rat.

Mii blinked once. Twice, "Err.." she began.

All of a sudden Shigure raced back inside the house, grabbed Kyo (dropping his chopsticks) and yanked him off the floor dragging him outside.

"Ah hahaha, and now for my second trick," Shigure began, as the Yuki rat ran back inside the house, "I shall turn Kyo here into an upstanding polite young man!"

"HEY!"

"How...how did you do that?" Mii asked, completely amazed as the Rat ran through the Lounge heading for the stairs, "That's very clever, where did he go?" she asked, her head turning in all directions to try and see Yuki.

Shigure winked at her, "Only the Magnificent Shigure ™ knows."

"Magnificent Shigure ™ huh?" Haru said, as Kyo started yelling once again that everyone was insane and Shigure started laughed heartily trying to cover up the exposed secret.

-----

"I AM NOT LEAVING HERE UNTIL YOU TAKE YOUR WORK SERIOUSLY!!"

Yuki winced at the high-pitched voice of Mii as she paraded around Shigure and his desk like a lion about attack its prey.

"But I take my work very seriously."

Mii stopped storming around the room and stared at him, "You're trying to sharpen a BIRO!!"

Shigure blinked and looked down to his hands, "Hmm, I wondered why that wasn't turning at easily as it should."

"YOU DON'T EVEN USE A PENCIL NOW BE QUIET AND WORK!!" Mii screamed, looming over Shigure with her hands on her hips and her eyes ablaze

"Okay okay." smiled a timid Shigure, cowering under the overlarge Mii.

Yuki ignored the two and walked up the stairs carrying an extra pillow he'd taken from the lining cupboard. Walking into his room, he placed it on top of the other pillow that made up part of Haru's makeshift bed on the floor. It was the first time since Haru had moved in that he actually slept where he was supposed to, in Yuki's room. Yuki sat at the edge of his bed staring down at Haru's little space on the floor. So much had happened and it hadn't even been a week yet. Tomorrow was Wednesday, just five more days of school then the Christmas holidays would start and he'd be with Haru in this house for three weeks straight.

Yuki couldn't tell if that was a good or a bad thing.

The builders for Haru's room had now taken the triangular roof off the Kitchen and had begun to lay the supports for the floor down, covering the whole thing up with plastic sheets to keep any rain out until they came back tomorrow. He wondered how long it would take to finish when Shigure walked past his room.

"Shigure?"

"Hmm?" he said, poking his head round the door.

"YOU'D BETTER BE GETTING YOUR NOTES UP THERE SHIGURE!!" came Mii's voice from downstairs.

"Of course Mii!" Shigure shouted back smiling awkwardly. He didn't however and looked back to Yuki.

"How long will it take for the builders to finish Haru's room?"

"Hmm," Shigure began, thinking, "Well, they don't get much business this time of year being so cold, so they don't have any other jobs to do but this one. It should be pretty soon."

"Oh." was Yuki's reaction.

"SHIGURE!!"

"Okay my delicate little flower, I am returning!" he said, nipping into his room to grab some papers then heading back down the stairs.

Yuki sat there staring at the space between his open door. Oh. Yes, it would seem he was a little disappointed that it would be finished soon.
Suddenly something occupied his vision as Haru stepped in through the doorway, gingerly rubbing his wet hair with a towel and looking down at Yuki as their eyes met.

As if it was some kind of physic connection, Yuki simply said, "No."

Haru shrugged, "It was worth a try." He said, as he headed over to his own bed rather than climbing into Yuki's.

-----

Shigure wandered down the stairs the next morning walking towards the phone. Even though he was up until 2am with Mii still glaring over his shoulder, he needed to get up early to prepare to get stage 1 of "Operation: Shigure and Ayame's plan of making Yuki fall for Haru no matter how long it took or what kind of insane plans they would have to do to make him admit his feelings" underway, and he had to hope Ayame would remember to get his part done. Picking up the receiver, he heard one of the stairs creak so he turned around.

His jaw dropped open in shock.

6am…and Yuki was dressed and wide-awake!

After the shock had dispersed, Shigure smiled, "Yuki, why are you up so early? I didn't think you got much sleep last night." Despite the underlining hints that held being Shigure, Yuki knew for once he was really talking about the fact he and Haru had spent half the night up just talking. School, reminisced about the few fun and happy things as children, and generally chatted away into the night. It was a funny feeling really; it was the first time Yuki had ever talked just for the sake of being with someone. "I mean really you were both so loud, it's quite despicable." Shigure continued in his usual idiotic tone, tutting and shaking his head.

"I surprised Mii still isn't here." was Yuki's comment as he walked through into the Living Room, "She said she wouldn't leave until you took your work seriously, I'm surprised she hasn't moved in."

Shigure grinned before noticing Yuki holding a familiar item in his hand, his smile fading, "Err...Yuki?" he said, following Yuki as he walked into the Kitchen, "What are you doing with my camera?"

Yuki calmly walked up to the sink,"1, it isn't your camera," he turned on the hot water tap, "And 2, I'm going to destroy it."

…….

………..

"AHHH!" Shigure ran up to Yuki but Yuki quickly placed his hand out beside him on Shigure's chest keeping him away at arms length as he held the camera near the running water. "Noooo pleeeease! It's not mine, it's not mine!!!" Shigure begged as he tried to run on one spot without getting anywhere, arms out stretched in front of him, "Mii will kill me!"

"STOP taking photos then!" he glared at the Novelist, who had dropped to his knees staring with wobbly puppy-begging eyes up at Yuki.

"Okay, I promise." He said, with streams of tears down his face, trying to reach for the camera but Yuki still holding it out of reach. Yuki looked down at him frowning, before turning and switching off the tap.

"Why do you have this camera anyway?"

Shigure instantly stopped crying and suddenly looked liked a dear caught in headlights, "Errr.....research of course!"

His plain and simple answer he hoped was enough, grinning and holding out his hands expecting Yuki to give the camera back, but Yuki kept the camera well away from him and scowled down at him.

"Research for what?" Shigure kept the grin on his face but it was a very nervous one, "I haven't seen you take any pictures with this except for me and Haru. Tell me the real reason or I won't give it back."

"Er, ehehehe, the real reason huh?" Shigure racked his brain to try to think of an excuse, "Well, the research I need it for was, err....AH LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!"

Shigure pointed behind Yuki who glared at him even harder, "What kind of idiot falls for that any more?!!"

"WAHHH!"

Yuki turned just in time to see Kyo flying towards him, banging straight into him causing them both to fly across the kitchen and land in a cluttered heap in one corner. Shigure had caught his precious camera when it went flying out of Yuki's hand and exited the room as quickly as possible, breathing a sigh of relief that he didn't have to give away the proper reason he had borrowed this off of Mii. Hehe, if Yuki ever found out... Shigure grinned to himself.

"Get off me!" both Yuki and Kyo yelled simultaneously, just as a very mad looking Black Haru stomped through the Kitchen doorway.

Whatever Kyo had done to upset Haru this morning, seeing him touching Yuki even if it was a 'get the hell away from me' shove, just seemed to provoke him even more. Storming up to him, he picked Kyo up by his collar.

"Jeez what is your problem?!" Kyo hollered, as he tried to punch his way out of Haru's tight grasp.

"You think you're good enough to go anywhere near my Yuki?"

"WHAT?!"

Haru slammed him against the wall, "You're pathetic, you make me sick you little pervert."

"I'M the pervert??!" Kyo kicked him hard sending him flying backwards, "Get over yourself H-"

He was cut short as Haru kicked him hard in the chest. Yuki by this time had safely departed the room, adjusting his school tie, leaving the evenly matched fight to destroy the Kitchen.

"You bastard! Who do you think you are huh!?"

"Shut up yo--"

"Get away from me you maniac!"

"Get up! Fight you loser!"

Shigure watched cautiously as Yuki made his way back up the stairs, listened to make sure Kyo and Haru were still fighting, and brought the phone receiver to his ear. Now was his chance to start to get this plan organised.

-----

Uo yawned and cursed silently at the phone as it rang far too early in the morning. Picking it up, "Yeah?......Why the hell are you calling me this early in the morning?.........Uh huh.........You want her away? Why?.......You mean you're actually trying to--.........okay okay, forget I asked. So what do you want me to do?.......Not a problem........yeah...okay sure I'll ask her today....bye."

Meanwhile at the Sohma Estate...

Kagura looked up from her drawing of an orange cat with love hearts around it with an excited look in her eye, "You mean we'd be alone for the whole weekend?" she squeaked.

"Yes," Ayame replied, holding a pamphlet in his hand and reading it, "Shigure and I will be going too, you know, to keep an eye on things," he winked teasingly, "So you can stay there if you like." Ayame smiled at her, "Do you think it's a good idea then? It's just Hatori said I should ask someone first."

Kagura stared at him with wobbly eyes before jumping up into the air, "YES I DO!! I THINK IT'S THE GREATEST IDEA EVER!!!" and there hence began to hug Ayame ridiculously tightly, "Aloone!!! All alooooone! YEY!!!"

-----

Yuki walked into his room and grabbed a few books from his desk, putting them in his rucksack. Walking over to his balcony door, he opened up the curtains to the wintry grey sky.

And the foot of fluffy white snow.

Eyes wide, Yuki opened his balcony door and stepped out into the snow, his foot sinking into it. Walking to the edge, he looked across the white treetops and into the distance. Everything was covered, only a few specks, only a few dark patches could be seen through the blanket of white that covered everything the eye could see.

Snow.

Yuki remembered a day when he had been 'released' from Akito for the day and had wandered into the courtyard in front of the main house. It was snowing then, although it wasn't quite as thick as this. He had spotted Haru playing in the front garden of Kisa's house, throwing snowballs at each other and laughing. Yuki had sat down on the stone ground in the snow, leaning against a small brick wall that held for being the courtyard flowerbed, bringing his knees to his chest as he just watched them. He didn't know how long he had sat there, but even when he realised he was freezing cold, he didn't move. He just sat there and watched the fun these two people were having, off in the distance, as he sat there alone and cold. He wanted to go and join them, but why would they want his company? Akito said that no one would want to be around a freak like him right? He closed his eyes and stayed there, feeling nothing but cold and numbness.

Suddenly, he had found himself engulfed in warmth. Opening his eyes, he found Haru kneeling on the ground in front of him hugging him closely. No words were said, and Yuki didn't move, he just buried his head under Haru's chin and closed his eyes again.

Yuki opened his eyes from his memory and looked back out over the expanse of white scenery. Haru truly had always been there, he never had to say anything, but even back then when they hadn't known each other for that long, Haru was still always there just when Yuki felt at his lowest.

A small grateful smile found it' way to his lips as he turned to go back inside his room.

-----

Shigure sat down for breakfast trying as much as possible to look as though he wasn't planning anything at all. Sipping at a glass of orange juice, he could just imagine the look on Yuki's face when he told him. Or maybe it would be Haru's face that would be even funnier? He moved his head to one side as a china plate came flying out the kitchen and zooming past his head, various shouts and abusive words still coming from the Kitchen.

Oh yes, Shigure just couldn't wait for the weekend to come.

-----

After Kyo and Haru had finally finished destroying the Kitchen, and had both apologised to Tohru and began clearing up the mess despite her protests, the young members of the Shigure household were finally ready to go to school. As Kyo stepped outside the front door however, he yelped in surprise to see two of the girls chasing him yesterday standing outside in the snow.

"Wha-what are you two doing here?" he stuttered, daring to move another step.

One of the girls put her hands on her hips and glared at him, "Just because Aiani got to kiss you yesterday doesn't mean you're left off the hook!

"Yeah!" piped the other one, joining her friend in the menacing look pose, "We both saw you standing under the Mistletoe and want our kiss too!"

Shigure then crept up behind Kyo, "Kyo, why are you standing in the middle of the doorway?" and at seeing the schoolgirls, immediately rushed to their side, "Hello there! I'm Shigure Sohma, famous Novelist, I except you all know me." He smiled flirtatiously, as the two girls blushed awkwardly at another good-looking Sohma.

"You're starting to sound like Ayame," said Haru, walking past Kyo who gave him a very evil glare while the girls blushed again at another good-looking Sohma.

"Never ever mention that name in my presence." Yuki joined in, pulling his rucksack on his shoulders and also walking past an evilly glaring Kyo, which quickly turned into a smirk.

"'In my presence?'" Kyo snickered, before he went flying backwards inside the house, and Shigure realised that both the girls he was standing next to had fainted with the overwhelming beauty so early in the morning.

-----

The group trudged through the snow past the school gates, Kyo making sure Tohru was in between him and the rest of the strange people he had to call a family. With any luck, today should be a pretty normal day, and with the way Yuki figured, it couldn't really get any worse. As they closed nearer the school main entrance however, there was a certain someone standing there in the snow, obviously waiting for a certain someone else, holding a very large bouquet of red roses. Today's choice was a red bandanna, and Kane's golden eyes finally found his target.

"Yuki!" he called out, waving over at him and grinning. Yuki stopped dead in his tracks as Kane ran over to him, a cold feeling of dread as he quickly glanced at Haru, "I got these for you." Kane said, handing Yuki the roses and smiling sweetly.

"Err.." Yuki said awkwardly, not wanting to offend Kane but at the same time not wanting to take them for fear that Haru would snap into Black, "Errr... I, I thought you said you weren't going to..."

Kane giggled lightly, "I never said I wasn't going to give up on you did I?"

Yuki smiled uneasily and took the roses, knowing exactly what was going to happen.

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE HUH?"

And before he could blink Kane found himself tackled to the frozen ground by a Black Haru, Yuki standing there watching them fight over him, still holding Kane's roses.

"Oh they're beautiful!" said Tohru, fussing over the soft petals and smelling the deep aroma, while Yuki's gardening side mentally wondered how Kane obtained Roses this time of year.

One by one people gathered around, and Yuki knew it wouldn't be long before the teachers came out to break the two up. To be honest, Yuki had had enough of teachers for a while and didn't particularly want to end up explaining they were fighting over him, so did the one thing he could think of to stop the brawling pair. Giving the roses to Tohru saying she could keep them, Yuki walked up behind Haru who had now pinned Kane against the wall. This was one fight Kane, or probably anyone, couldn't win against Haru when he was like this, so Yuki simply walked up to Haru and wrapped his arms around his waist.

The fury in Haru's eyes changed so fast it was as if he had been under a spell.

Yuki didn't say a word, just stood there pressed up against his back, trying to ignore the whispers and comments that were beginning to emerge from the crowd around them. Haru slowly let go of Kane, who was in mild terror of Haru's sudden strength and mild horror at 'his' Yuki's sudden closeness to Haru.

"Yuki...?" said a momentarily White Haru, before his 'second type' of Black emerged and he spun around and grabbed Yuki into a very tight hug, "heheh, I knew you wanted me," he growled in his ear, while Yuki's eyes flew wide suddenly regretting his supposed plan.

Kyo watched completely dumbfounded at the kind of scenes he had to put up with since Haru had moved in, so grabbed Tohru's wrist and dragged her inside the school, ignoring Haru's almost insanely disturbingly sappy cries of, "Yuki loves me!", followed quickly by a more lustful voice of, "I knew you loved me." Then a more embarrassed and terrified Yuki voice of, "Get off me!" followed by a whining trying-to-act-tough Kane voice of, "Let go of my Yuki!"

Kyo wondered how long this was gonna last, and for once almost wished Kagura was here! At least it would feel slightly more normal, just as Kane's voice rang out again,

"Yuki's mine get off him!"

"Don't touch him!"

"You're insane!"

"You're gay!"

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THEN?!?"

To Be Continued...