Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Forget Me ❯ Rebellious ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: I know, I updated slow…I'm like having major mind-blanks recently and it's so annoying!! Also I didn't really have time to update. Well.. . here are your replies.

Fanfiction:
 
Moonflower: Hehe, Thanks moonflower!
 
Daelaeyni: Thank you very much!!
 
Mischievouz Angel: And now I have another writers block, wow ain't that surprising….hmm, thanks for reviewing Kimmy-chan
 
Mysticwaterfall: Thank you *bows* fellow FF author.
 
Kyo4Tohru: Yea, hehe, about Japan, please excuse this chapter if it's a little bit boring…Thx for da review.
 
Mediaminer:
 
Silver-wolf: Once again thank you for every single kind review and smiley face you've given me!
 
Chapter 16: Rebellious
 
The rest of the Sohma household had encountered upon Akito's…”story” about Europe. They were informed that Akito did indeed, plan to kill everyone who were going on the trip by using his assassin Amaya Natsume. That did bring a lot of shame and disappointment upon the whole main house members. But they couldn't exactly say anything because, Akito was still around, and he was still the head of the Sohma Family, bossy, cold but just, slightly different. More calm and contented, smiled a little more than usual and greeted everyone with respect which was considered as a big dramatic change to everyone. He no longer had any grudges against Tohru, Kyo, Yuki and co because he knew his mistake had caused such a great tragedy that had killed some innocent skiers in Switzerland (avalanche).

It was very fortunate that he didn't end up in jail like Amaya did, but it was a close call. Hatori had checked up on everyone's injuries and school had started for all the teenagers in Kaibara High. It was another new term, and the weather had changed as well. But everyone else lived their everyday daily lives.
 
…………………….
 
The hot air and the bright sunshine lit up Tokyo as the Momiji leaves rustled in the calm wind. Karina stood inside the dojo trying to aim kicks at Kyo as he dodged and blocked them.
 
“Not bad, you're getting better.” Kyo said.
 
“Thanks.” Karina aimed for another one but actually hit Kyo this time accidentally, unaware that he was not paying attention or in other words, distracted by something.
 
“Shoot, I'm sorry!” Karina went over and helped her brother as he got up. Then she realised what he was looking at, Tohru was at the doorway in a beautiful dress.
 
`haha, now I get it, heh, typical of Kyo to stare at Tohru.' Karina laughed inside her head and gave Tohru a friendly wave.
 
“T-T-Tohru?” Kyo stuttered, blushed and turned away.
 
Her dress was a light peachy pink colour that blended in with her skin tone. She even had her hair done up in a different style, spirals around the long fringe and at the end of her ponytail.
 
“Sorry to interrupt…”
 
“No problem, Kyo and I think you look great, what's the occasion?” Karina emphasized on Kyo and relaxed.
 
“Well…umm, we have a school dance coming up 2 weeks from now, and well…Yuki's brother Ayame found this dress for me, and I think I will wear it to the dance. I was just…well coming here to ask of your opinion and if you would like to have one too Karina? Because Ayame specializes in these things, and well, if you're going to the dance, then maybe you'd like to get a dress.” Tohru explained before Kyo could comment on Karina speaking on his behalf.
 
“Oh wow, I'd love to! And that dress really suits you, I mean, if Yuki's brother can find a dress that suits you, he'd be able to do that for me…right? So yea, sure, why not, I'll come along, perhaps this weekend because we got a few sport practices this week.” Karina replied happily.
 
“Yes that would be great! Umm, did you sign up for sport this semester?” Tohru asked.
 
“Yea I definitely did. Umm…soccer, ice-skating, maybe skiing, badminton, swimming, athletics like the sprinting races and the high jump, yes that's it for this term.” Karina listed her sports.
 
“Sounds like a busy term.” Kyo commented after staring at Tohru.
 
“Yea, but it's better than nothing.”
 
“Oh well, I might as well leave now, I have to tell Ayame-san that I love this dress. I'll see you at school on Wednesday.” Tohru smiled. (Today's Tuesday)
 
“Alright, Bye.” Karina and Kyo said in unison.
 
“You can't wait till the dance can you? You should so majorly ask her out!!!!” Karina screamed with joy after Tohru left.
 
“Uhh…WHAT??? Why?”
 
“She's your girlfriend, stupid….. You got to be nice!”
 
“FINE!” Kyo got back to the practice.
 
………………………&# 8230;…………………..
“So Yuki, my dear brother, when are you going to introduce your new girlfriend to me?” Ayame walked around his shop searching for something for Yuki to wear to the dance.
 
“Shut up, she'll come in the weekend to get a dress for the dance, be patient.” Yuki snapped.
 
“Ooooohhh, so she is going with you, right?” Ayame asked.
 
“Uhh….I haven't asked her…but yes, I think so.” Yuki replied.
 
“Oh well that's perfect!! I am so jealous of you Yuki!!” Ayame pouted.
 
Before Yuki could reply, Tohru came running into the store with a big smile on her face.
 
“Ayame-san, I am so happy, I love this dress. Thank you so much!!” She twirled around.
 
“Well you're very welcome Tohru, take it to the dance and make Kyo stare.” Ayame laughed as Tohru blushed madly.

…………………… 230;…….

The next day...
 
Kenji walked around the hallways of his new school. He had signed up for the same sports as Karina except ice-skating, and he had also been through the short interview with the principle a few hours ago.
 
Flashback….

”Hmm….I see you have good potential in sporting activities. And that you have had a large variety of experience in your previous school…..You've won a few medals, and you have been captain of the sports team for a few years. Not bad, not bad at all. You must be pleased with yourself.”
 
“Yea…I guess so.”
 
“This is a great record, it reminds me of someone thought, oh yes, how could I forget. You are merely the boy version of Karina…ermmm….Yoshida was it? Oh, are you two related.”
 
“My…mum is her guardian.”
 
“Oh I see. Right, I think she's…changed her surname to…uhh Horikawa now…currently. Oh interesting. Anyway, yes, you are definitely accepted into Kaibara High. I'm sure you'll be elected as school sports captain very soon. So are there any other things that interest you apart from being passionate about sport?”
 
“Well…I've always been into art, for fun. It's not that I'm superb at it or anything, just something that relaxes me whenever I'm stressed. Although my academic results…are…just average I guess.”
 
“It's okay, you'll be settling in just fine with the sports group. I hope you enjoy this school.”
 
“Thank you…Principal.”
 
“You are very welcome, you may start attending lessons tomorrow. Until then, you might want to buy some stationary or sign up for the sports contracts.”
 
“Yes, I will. Bye.”
 
“Goodbye Mr Kenji Yoshida.”
 
End of Flashback…
 
He had made a few new friends but still one thing worried him. Would life still be the same after what happened during the `holiday' in Europe. Even though he had told Karina that he no longer had any doubts about Yuki and stuff, he needed to get use to the new routines. Only two things stayed the same, his love and talent for sports and the fact that girls still crowded around him, even in his new school on his first day, he was already popular, of course not as popular as Yuki whom he had discovered, had his own all-girl fan club.
 
He entered his classroom to find both Yuki and Kyo surrounded by a group of girls. Then two seconds later, he too, was trapped inside a circle of screaming teenage girls. He wondered what the occasion was, and he stood there like an idiot, unsure of how to respond. Then soon he realised, on the wall, it said in big letters.
“SCHOOL DANCE, 7pm in 2 weeks time!!! Held in the Kaibara High school Gymnasium!”
 
He found out that the girls were asking him to be their date for the dance, problem was, he didn't even know one person from the group. He looked over his shoulder at Yuki and Kyo. Yuki was putting on a fake smile while slowly sliding away, and Kyo looked really annoyed. Kenji decided that he wouldn't have the nerve to snap at people he didn't know, so he tried Yuki's method and quickly ran out the door when he bumped into Karina.
 
“Oww…my head!” She exclaimed, then saw Kenji's guilty expression and smiled.
 
“Kenji, it's your first day right? How's it going…… uhh never mind, let's go!” She smiled, when she saw the screaming girls chasing after him, she grabbed his hand and ran off.
 
“This…is…only….your…first…..d ay…..and you're already this….popular…” Karina sighed.
 
“Yea….I know, it's kind of…weird.” Kenji replied solemnly.
 
“So other than that, do you like this school? Do you need any help?”
 
“Nah I'm alright, this school is great I guess.”
 
“Ok….uhh…, if you have any problems, just ask me….umm…..so I'll see you after school for soccer practice.”
 
“Sure, thanks, see you.”
 
………………………&# 8230;…..
 
It was a warm sunny afternoon, they had attended soccer practice, Karina had gone to a coffee shop where she caught up with her biological mother Nara and Kenji went home. Kenji's mother, Risa, had only recently found out about their break-up, she had even prepared a `cake' as a welcome back gift for the…ex-pair but quickly took off Karina's name when she heard the news, and only left the word Welcome, and Kenji on it.
 
Kyo, Yuki and Tohru went back to Shigure's house where they had a nice home-cooked meal. Although, Shigure kept teasing Kyo about him seeing Tohru in a pretty pink dress.
 
It was quite amusing, but everyone was glad to be back home.
 
………………………..
 
Kyo knocked on Tohru's bedroom door, hoping she wouldn't be asleep. He was feeling confident, so he decided to have a go at asking her to go to the dance with him as his partner. Although, he did feel slightly nervous because he knew he'd go pink the moment she appeared.
 
“Kyo.” Tohru smiled and opened the door.
 
“Hey uhh Tohru…”
 
“Oh umm, I almost forgot to ask you something Kyo, well…I was wondering if you'd…perhaps like to go to the dance with me?” Tohru stuttered as Kyo felt butterflies in his stomach. She had read his mind and had made the job easier.
 
“Y-yea…sure.” Kyo nodded eagerly.
 
“Thank you, umm…what were you going to say? I'm sorry, I interrupted.”
 
“Nah, its fine…I was gonna ask you the same thing anyway. Goodnight Tohru.” Kyo planted a gentle kiss on her cheek and walked back to his bedroom.
 
………………
 
Karina lay on her bed, ready to turn off her light and snooze when she reflected upon today's memories.
 
Flashback….
 
“Karina, I would like to ask you a question.” Nara looked down and stammered a bit.
 
“Sure Nara, go ahead.”
 
“Could…you call me mom?
 
“Yea…uhh ok Mom.” Karina bit her lip.
 
“Sorry, that wasn't the question. What I was going to ask was….I want to …start a new life with my daughter. And…I was wondering if you'd like to move…with me…out of Tokyo so we can begin on a fresh start as a family. I'm thinking that it'd be a great way for us to spend time together. And…if it works out, then…I would like to get custody of you, so we can actually live together. You don't have to stay on your own anymore, or with your guardians. What do you think?” Nara asked.
 
End of Flashback….
 
It was a long question, but it meant so much to Karina, and yet it was hard. She couldn't answer the question. She didn't want to leave the people that she loved. She loved her guardian Risa, Kenji, her half-brother Kyo and of course, her boyfriend Yuki. But she also wanted to be with her real mother, she always wanted a perfect family since her life was so muddled up.
 
Nara still had to meet her guardians and her step-son Kyo which would've been awkward as Karina…was the result of an affair that was merely loveless at a point and…it included betrayal and lies….heaps of lies that hurt both sides, Kyo's mother, and Karina's mother. And it was all their father's fault. But of course, that was then…and they couldn't really do anything about it now. It would be stupid to complain about how they were living, since Karina was constantly surrounded by people that loved her and took care of her like a good family or sibling.
 
………………………&# 8230;

Thursday…..Badminton practice.

“My names Kenji Yoshida, I'm a new student here, but I applied for team captain and head of sports. Alright, so we begin competitions next season, I'm hoping that we can all get along well, and train hard as we will be competing against all the other schools in Tokyo. This will be our first official badminton practice, so be prepared for the end of term matches.” Kenji explained.
 
“Umm…yea and I'm Karina…uhh…well just Karina, and I'm also the team captain…well the girl version….umm… ok, so today we will begin with serving the shuttlecock over the net at the right height and to the correct place.” Karina finished off as everyone got to work obediently and started practising right away.
 
“Still unsure of which surname to use?” Kenji asked.
 
“Yea well we have Sohma, Yoshida, Horikawa, Hiroshi….I just don't know, I mean if I use Sohma, they'd think I'm like…Yuki's sister of something which would be…so wrong…..cos…I'm his…girlfriend…..and uhh, Yoshida, I would be your sister…which would also be wrong, and Horikawa, I've only known my true mother for…less than a month…so Hiroshi would be good if Nagisa didn't die.”
 
“The principle said that you changed it to Horikawa.” Kenji pointed out.
 
“He did? I didn't hear anything about that.”
 
“Oh well, I think you should be my sister. I mean if we're not dating anymore, at least I can have the same relationship as you and Kyo do, right?”

”But I like having you as a best…friend…boy……oh man, ok who cares, I'll stick with Yoshida cos I seriously doubt the other surnames.” Karina sighed.
 
“Well anyway, let's practise, shall we?” Kenji passed her a racquet.
 
“Sure, why not.”
 
……………..
 
“Tohru!” Kyo called out to her as she turned around and smiled.
 
“Yes Kyo?”
 
“Karina and Kenji are hosting a badminton practice and that damn Yuki is off at his school council meeting, so…I just wanted to know if you wanted to do something during lunch?”
 
“Yes of course, I'd love to. What do you have in mind?”
 
“I dunno….I was asking you if you had any suggestions.” Kyo shrugged and looked away.
 
“Umm…we could get some instant ramen from the corner shop.”
 
“Sounds good to me, I'm starved.”
 
15 minutes later, back at Kaibara High school gardens….
 
“Umm Kyo?”
 
“Yea?”
 
“How's the ramen?”
“Good, tasty…better than cafeteria food.”
 
“I was just thinking….about Kagura.”
 
“Uhh…what about that Kagura?”
 
“Is…she going to hate me?”
 
“Oh no…you're saying…about….us….” Kyo paused.
 
“Yes…she loves you Kyo…but….so…do I…and…”
 
“I can't do anything about it, I've already made my decision, I'm not gonna spend the rest of my life looking at Kagura, she annoys me!” Kyo stated, hinting that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with…Tohru.
 
“Oh…so…”
 
“So in other words, she can't hate you, because if she does, I'll get the message clear to her head that…we don't have any chemistry.”
 
“But…wouldn't that hurt her feelings?” Tohru looked down.
 
“Yea I know, but she'll have to deal with the truth someday.”
 
“Oh…ok…”
 
“Now eat your ramen before it gets cold!”
 
…………………..
 
Saturday.Ayame's dress shop
 
“Hey, umm, can I get a black dress perhaps?” Karina looked around the shop, not used to the fact that it was so colourful and that she'd never worn such long dresses.
 
“Oh you like Black?” Ayame asked.
 
“Umm…I guess.”
 
“How about this dark-blue, it will match the colour of the night-sky.” Ayame held up a beautiful slim dark blue gown that sparkled.
 
“Ok, I'll try it.”
 
Two minutes later, Mine had helped Karina with the dress and she came out smiling and twirling around like a laughing idiot, well in her opinion anyway.
 
“I look so different, but I like it so much.” Karina looked into the mirror and smiled at Ayame.
 
“Yes, it goes well with your hair colour.” Ayame commented as Karina looked alarmed. Yet another person commented about her hair colour.
 
“Is my hair colour that pretty?” Karina asked.
 
“Well it's quite unique, it's a nice shade and it's very silky.” Mine grinned.
 
“Oh well….thanks, so about the dress. I might as well take this one.” Karina took one last glance and nodded towards Ayame.
 
“Perfect! I will let you pick it up on the night of the dance then. Oh and one more thing…Has my dear brother Yuki asked you to go with him yet?” Ayame questioned sweetly.
 
Karina stopped and blushed.

“Uhh….no, he hasn't. Actually I haven't spoken to him a lot since we came back from that trip. So much to catch up with. Sport, education, family matters, martial arts training, and this dress selecting thing. I haven't really had the chance to have a proper conversation. And I know he's busy as well.”
 
“Oh I see. Don't worry my dear, I will order Yuki to ask you out the minute I see him.” Ayame held his head up high and spoke as if he were the president.
 
“Nah, don't worry about it. I'll ask him myself. I mean there's nothing wrong with a girl asking a boy right?” Karina shrugged it off.
 
“Good, I'm glad to hear that. Be confident Karina, go for it. Tell my brother Yuki that I gave you a nice boost of confidence.”
`Uhh actually you didn't do anything but choose a dress for me.' Karina wanted to say, but stopped her mouth from speaking.
 
“Ok well um…thank you for your help and I'll see you later.”
 
………………………&# 8230;………
 
Another week passed, Yuki attended his usual council meetings, Tohru studied hard for upcoming exams and found new recipes to cook for dinner, Kyo practiced hard with his sister Karina at the dojo as she also went to her sports games with Kenji after school. Tokyo was once again busy as ever, people roaming the streets either on their way to work or school. But it was great to have everything back to normal.

……………………R 30;………..
 
A/N: Yes, you can all growl at me for taking so long at writing this chapter….*sigh*

And Yup Girls ROCK!! Tohru asked Kyo to the dance, and now…well Karina's gonna do the same with Yuki.

And I guess you could say thing are brightening up for everyone back home in Tokyo. I think I'm just gonna stick to the average teenage life, but still not sure how to end the story…*gulp*
Oh well…..Reviews please! If you have time.

Thanks for reading.

Angelite Phoenix/ Dark Angel of Mystery