Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Teaching a Lesson ( Chapter 35 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket, and therefore do not quite know how the bracelet seal works. However, I figured it out as best as I could from Natsuki Takaya, the true owner of Fruits Basket.
 
A/N: Akito enjoys her sadistic games. You see, she knew Yuki would eventually fail at the impossible task she gave him, and that Kyo would eventually figure out what was going on. This way, both of them would suffer when Yuki was succeeding, and both of them would suffer when Yuki finally caved.
 
 
CHAPTER 35: Teaching a Lesson
 
Akito wasn't sure what to think. Kyo had been on an emotional roller coaster over the last few days, but he always seemed to come back to joy and hope. Yuki had also been on an emotional roller coaster, except he was alternating between anger, fear, depression, and despair. Much more comfortable emotions for Akito. But what to do about Kyo? Of course, Kyo's sudden elation could have nothing to do with Yuki. In fact, it might be about that Honda girl, which would also give Akito a reason to punish him.
 
At last, Akito decided she would have to investigate. She would have to ask Kyo about Yuki. Kyo couldn't hide. And if Kyo had found out in any way that Yuki did not truly hate him (attentive as Akito had been to Yuki's feelings, she still detected no signs of hatred, except toward her), she would have to keep her promise to Yuki. She owed it to him.
 
Akito looked out at the darkening sky. Clouds were moving in. There would be a long rainstorm tonight. Perfect.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Kyo had come to the conclusion on Friday, after his conversation with Saito-san, that he would have to tell Yuki what he thought he knew. He wasn't sure what it would accomplish, though. He didn't really have any solid evidence that Yuki didn't hate him, or even that Yuki's panic had been because he was afraid of being found out. It was all surmise. Which made Kyo wonder again if he really had any reason to believe it, besides a fool's hope. Still, though, telling might do something. But he wanted to wait until all other options had been exhausted first. He would do it today, though. Tonight.
 
Shigure and Hatori had begged Yuki to reconsider his decision to go back to the Main House, but he had refused. Tohru had cried before going to work tonight. Kyo had walked with her, trying to comfort her. He hated times like these, when he wanted so badly to hug her but couldn't.
 
When Kyo returned, he learned that Yuki had finished packing, and was sleeping. I'll talk to him when he wakes up. It was raining now, and looked like it would for a while. Kyo was almost too exhausted to be irritated. He lay down on the couch. Unintentionally, he fell asleep.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“Kyo-kun.” Kyo blinked open his eyes to see Shigure above him.
 
“What?” he asked groggily.
 
Shigure hesitated. “Akito-san is here to see you.”
 
“What?!” Kyo sat up instantly. Akito was standing a ways off. Hatori was in the corner, looking worried. Kyo had a feeling that neither of them knew what Akito wanted. He waited to be told.
 
“I would like to speak with you,” Akito said. “In private. Please come outside.”
 
“Why outside?” Kyo asked. “It's raining. Can't we talk in here?”
 
“I like the rain. Come outside.”
 
Kyo did as he was told. Akito stood with him on the back patio. “Well?” Kyo asked.
 
Akito paused. “How have you been getting along with Yuki lately?”
 
It's on me now. I'll show him! “What do you mean? He's the same as he has been for over a month. He hates me.”
 
“You seem very resigned.”
 
“What, did you think I'd sob myself to sleep every night for the rest of my life? I've moved on. I hate him too.”
 
“Word has it you've been worried.”
 
“Only because I want Hatori to leave, and for Yuki to stop driving everyone nuts.”
 
“So you've realized, then, that the rat is disgusted to be anywhere near you?”
 
Kyo had a split second's hesitation, then said, “Yes. He doesn't want to be anywhere near me. He even told Tohru that he didn't want me to come and see him anymore.”
 
“I heard he had an attack.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I heard you saved him.”
 
“Yeah.” Kyo couldn't help the softness in his voice.
 
“No doubt he was angry at you for it.”
 
Kyo was a little taken aback. “Well, he was probably relieved to be alive.”
 
“At the expense of being touched by a monster?”
 
“Yuki's not that stupid. He rather me touch him than die.”
 
“Good point. In that case, I hope he thanked you.”
 
“Ye—uh no, he didn't.”
 
Akito looked at him sharply. “What did he say to you?”
 
“Nothing,” Kyo said. “He just basically ignored me.”
 
“I'm sorry. It hurts to be ignored, doesn't it? Sometimes I think all of my Juunishi like to ignore me.”
 
Kyo looked at him slightly blankly. He felt dizzy suddenly, because of the rain. “Okay…”
 
“Do you like him, Kyo?”
 
Did he call me Kyo? Kyo blinked several times, then shivered at the fact that he was rapidly getting soaked. “Ye—no.”
 
“Are you lying?”
 
“No.”
 
“I heard that you gave him flowers.”
 
“Oh… he didn't like them.”
 
“Why did you give them to him?”
 
“So there would be color in his room.”
 
“Kyo-kun, have you learned yet why he suddenly went from liking you to hating you?”
 
Kyo-kun? “No… he clams up whenever I… I mean… I don't know. I think maybe it was just always this way.” I probably should have had answers in mind in case he asked. Kyo fought back a throbbing headache and tried to pay attention to the head of the family's next question.
 
“Do you think he really hates you, Kyo?”
 
Why does he keep calling me Kyo? He's never called me that before. Kyo felt a wave of exhaustion. “I… I… yes, he does. I said that.”
 
“But do you believe it, Kyo? Because I don't think it's true.”
 
Kyo felt another wave of exhaustion, and looked up slightly groggily. “You don't? Why not?”
 
“Well, hasn't he been kinder to you lately?”
 
“No. He just stays in his damn room all day long and won't even talk to me.”
 
“But when you go to his room, he doesn't ask you to leave?”
 
“Not always, but lately. And besides, that doesn't mean he doesn't hate me.”
 
“He hasn't said he hated you, though, since we had our little chat before, right?”
 
“Once was enough,” Kyo replied with a shiver.
 
“I still don't believe he really hates you, though. Maybe he had to pretend to hate you.”
 
Kyo's head throbbed. Wouldn't this person ever stop asking questions? “Maybe. Probably.”
 
“Word has it Yuki said kind things to you when he had his attack. What were they, Kyo?”
 
“He… I… I mean, he really hardly said anything. Just my name… because he was so sick. I mean, he was clutching me because it hurt so much, and couldn't talk. He just… was sick.” Kyo slumped. So tired.
 
“It must have been nice, Kyo, having him lean on you like that.”
 
“Yeah. It was like he was being normal again. Because he was sick, and he'd dropped… um… I don't know. He probably was just glad someone was with him.”
 
“He'd dropped his guard, you say? So now you're hopeful that he might not hate you? That he was just pretending, perhaps on Akito's orders?”
 
Hadn't Kyo just been talking to Akito? Or only about Akito? His vision blurred with exhaustion. He hadn't gotten anywhere near enough sleep, and the rain was heavier than it had been in a month. “Yeah, that's probably it. Someone was saying that, but he keeps freaking out whenever I mention it.”
 
“Then he probably does like you, Kyo?”
 
“Probably. But he's all afraid now that I'll find out, so I'm trying to act…” Who was he saying this to? Kyo blinked open his eyes and looked up. He felt his blood freeze. Kami-sama, what have I done?
 
“I thought so.” Akito touched his arm. Kyo felt a little strange. He was having a sudden déjà vu. When had someone else talked to him, in the rain? Who was it? What had happened? “Kyo, you should talk to him,” Akito said. “You should tell him how you feel. That you want to be friends again. That you want to help him hide it.”
 
Wasn't he saying before… was I imagining it? “Yeah… Maybe I should.”
 
“Because you know, he was only acting like that for your own good.”
 
Kyo blinked, waking himself up. “For my good?”
 
“Of course. Someone like you should not be conceited enough to think you can be friends with someone like him. I explained it all to him during my visit with him back in January, and he didn't disagree with me. He was quite confused, though, and thought he loved you. But you are a monster, and not worthy of anyone's love. I'm worried about him for being so confused, so I must teach him a lesson. Do you understand?”
 
“I…” Then suddenly Akito's hand on his arm had moved, and his bracelet was off. “What…!”
 
“Don't be angry with me,” Akito said, taking a few steps backwards. “You have the rat to thank for this.” Then the pain started.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Yuki woke up with a vague sense of disaster. He shivered. Something was wrong. He felt his presence, very close by. He sat up, wide awake, and looked around. Akito was not in his room. But then he heard his voice.
 
“He'd dropped his guard, you say? So now you're hopeful that he might not hate you? That he was just pretending, perhaps on Akito's orders?” Why was Akito talking about himself in third person? He never did that.
 
Then came Kyo's voice. “Yeah, that's probably it. Someone was saying that, but he keeps freaking out whenever I mention it.” Where were they? In the backyard? Yuki looked out his window. They were standing near each other, alone. He could just hear their voices. What was Akito saying?
 
“Kyo, you should talk to him. You should tell him how you feel. That you want to be friends again.”
 
Akito was touching him. Kyo looked exhausted, confused, and a little scared. Clearly, Akito had been messing with his mind. “Yeah… Maybe I should.”
 
“Because you know,” Akito said, “he was only acting like that for your own good.” Kyo said something inaudible. Akito responded with, “Someone like you should not be conceited enough to think you can be friends with someone like him.” Then Akito's voice became soft, but Yuki caught the word “lesson.” He nearly had a heart attack. He ran to his door. It was locked, from the outside. Yuki hadn't even known that was possible. Summoning all his strength, he kicked it down, no longer caring, and ran downstairs. Every single paper door was closed, and Yuki had to open them all. By the time he got to Akito, Kyo had transformed and was running away.
 
“What are you doing?!” Yuki screamed. “I did what you told me to do! I don't know why he thinks that! You can't do this!” He rushed at Akito to get the bracelet he was holding. Akito knocked him aside, but he tried again and again until he felt arms holding him back. He fought like a wild animal to get free.
 
“Yuki-kun, you're going to get hurt!”
 
“Let me go, Shigure! Don't you even care?” Yuki fought violently, and then Hatori came to hold him down while Akito calmly walked away, holding Kyo's bracelet. Yuki fought like mad until Hatori managed to immobilize one of his arms. He felt a sharp prick, and seconds later everything went black.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
 
A/N 2: Please don't hate me for the cliffy! |-) Seriously, though, I have to keep you in suspense for a least a little longer.