Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Fearless ( Chapter 46 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: I think I mentioned this before, but if Akito seems to switch genders throughout this chapter, it's because the perspective is changing. Yuki and Kyo see her as a guy, though I know she's female.
 
 
CHAPTER 46: Fearless
 
Hatori and Shigure sat in Akito's room, waiting for her to turn. At last she did. “You two have a lot of nerve coming here,” she said softly. “Do you think I don't know that it was one of you who stole Kyo's bracelet?”
 
“I will neither confirm nor deny that suspicion,” Shigure replied calmly. “However, taking the bracelet from Kyo to begin with was probably not a good idea. It's never been done before. You could have potentially released a great danger onto society.”
 
Akito sniffed. “I know that monster well enough. He wouldn't dare to show his face to anyone.”
 
“He sat with Yuki and Tohru.”
 
“Yuki was forbidden to be his friend. I'll have to teach him another lesson. I really thought seeing what a monster that cat is would do it, but… apparently Yuki is more deluded than I thought.” Her voice sounded tired, and lacked its usual bite.
 
There was a pause. At last, Shigure spoke. “Akito-san, you know that they're stronger than you.”
 
Akito turned to him, her eyes wild. “How dare you…”
 
“They're stronger than you. When they're together. You won't be able to tear them apart again. In a way, everything you've put them through has been counterproductive, because now they're closer than ever.”
 
“Shut up!” she cried, then turned away, trembling with suppressed rage. “I will lock up the cat, and then Yuki. I will break them both.”
 
“They'll find a way to fight back. You know they will.”
 
“They would rebel against me?” Akito asked calmly, turning back to face him.
 
“Akito-san, a rebellion is brewing. Since everyone found out that everything that happened just now to Yuki was your fault. Caging one or the other is not the answer. Your punishments so far have only made things worse.”
 
“Without the cat, Yuki is weak. Get rid of the cat, and he will be mine again.”
 
“What do you intend to do, kill him?”
 
“If I must.”
 
“If you kill Kyo, Yuki will never come back to you.”
 
There was a flash in Akito's eyes. Was it anger? Fear? Madness? Hatori nearly asked Shigure to stop, but held himself back.
 
“Yuki is weak. And he's mine.”
 
“He's not yours anymore. And if he has to, he'll rise up against you before Kyo is caged. You know he will.”
 
“He's only got a month and a half.”
 
“It doesn't matter.”
 
“What do you suggest I do, then, to quench this `rebellion' you seem so sure of?”
 
Hatori was surprised. He hadn't expected Akito to ask for advice this early.
 
“I suggest concessions.”
 
Concessions?” Akito cried, furiously. “To Yuki?”
 
“And Kyo.”
 
“I am giving nothing to that cat, or Yuki.”
 
“It would be the best way to stop the rebellion. Do you want all of them to turn against you? You know how the ripple effect works.”
 
“I don't believe you. Prove to me that they are strong, and I will consider concessions.”
 
Hatori was shocked. She must really be scared. Shigure was smiling. “That can be arranged,” he said quietly.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
“What's for dinner?” Yuki asked Honda-san, after he and Kyo had come in from a fight. Whatever Honda-san was cooking, it smelled delicious.
 
“Sukiyaki and onigiri!” she said cheerfully. “Who won?”
 
“Who do you think?” Kyo grumbled.
 
“You're getting a lot better, Kyo,” Yuki said, smiling. “Especially your defense.”
 
“Think I might beat you one of these days?”
 
“Maybe. Probably.” One of these days in the next month and a half? Less likely. Yuki sighed, then pushed it from his mind. Not now. He was so relieved that Kyo hadn't started to treat him differently after finding out about Akito. The very next day, Kyo had got him back on the volleyball team, and still treated him the same as always. He was still yelling at him when he was mad. Somehow, this felt good.
 
The conversation had not been mentioned since that night on the roof. There didn't seem to be any need to mention it. “So, all of the people on the volleyball team really like you. They're going to carry over into the summer, if you want to play with them then. You don't start college until the fall, right?”
 
“Yeah. I think a lot of people are skipping a semester.”
 
“Makes sense. It's a big transition to do in a week. But I know a lot of the seniors are returning for the summer.”
 
“Yeah, I might.” It won't be the same without you, though. Yuki sat down at the table, and Kyo sat at the side adjacent to him. Yuki had brought his backpack over, and the boys started chatting over a homework assignment from a class they shared.
 
“Oh,” said a cold voice behind them. “Tohru-san has already started dinner. I hope it wouldn't be too much trouble to accommodate two more.”
 
Both Kyo and Yuki turned instantly. Yuki's blood turned cold. Akito?! What is he doing here? Hatori stood behind him.
 
“I came for dinner,” Akito said, answering Yuki's unspoken question. He sat down at the other side adjacent to Yuki. “I haven't seen you since I took Kyo's bracelet. I missed you. Also, I wanted to ask for an apology for yelling at me that night.”
 
Path of least resistance. “I'm sorry.”
 
“I also want an apology for the fact that you've let Kyo believe you want to be his friend again, in spite of my orders.”
 
Yuki fell silent. “I…” He sat, frozen. He didn't dare look at Kyo.
 
“I'm sorry, Akito,” Akito prompted.
 
Yuki couldn't speak. He felt himself beginning to tremble. Suddenly, there was a motion in his peripheral vision, and before he caught on to what was happening, Kyo was on his other side, between him and Akito. Kyo looked at Yuki for a moment, then turned to Akito. His eyes looked even redder than usual.
 
“What do you think you're doing?” Akito asked. A wave of shock had settled over the table. Yuki was just as shocked, but by now his gratitude had taken over. He got between me and Akito. But no one… no one has ever… Kyo-nii… does he realize what he's doing? What it means to me?
 
“I said, what do you think you're doing?” Akito repeated, leaning forward. “I was talking to Yuki, cat. You are not to sit at this table with us. Go to your room.”
 
“No.”
 
“Yuki, do you really want this monster to sit beside you?”
 
He's not a monster. “I want Kyo to sit beside me,” Yuki said softly. He wanted to hug Kyo. He wanted to cry. He had never felt so safe. He heard Kyo sigh with relief.
 
“Would you like some tea, Akito-san,” Honda-san asked suddenly.
 
“I would like some tea, yes,” Akito replied calmly. Honda-san poured the tea, slightly shakily. Then she took a seat where Kyo had been sitting, effectively blocking off the other seat next to Yuki.
 
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you… “We can finish our homework later, Kyo, ne?” Yuki said.
 
“Sure.”
 
“Move, cat.” Akito's voice was hard.
 
“No.” Kyo's voice was almost casual. Yuki wanted to tell him to move back, but couldn't. Then he jumped. It's on his left wrist—the wrist on Akito's side! Yuki looked. He blinked. It wasn't on his left wrist. It was on his right. When had he switched it?
 
“I see you got your bracelet back,” Akito said to Kyo, looking at the bracelet that Kyo was carefully keeping out of his reach.
 
“Yes.”
 
“How?”
 
“I have no idea. I woke up and there it was.”
 
“And I suppose you think you're safe now? I could take it again, you know.”
 
“I know.”
 
“Move, or I'll take it.”
 
“Kyo…” Yuki started.
 
“Akito,” Shigure said. That was all he said, but Akito backed off.
 
“Heh,” he laughed. “This tea is bitter. I'd like some honey.”
 
“Yes!” Honda-san said, getting some. “Dinner will be ready shortly, Akito-san. I made extra for you and Hatori-san. I hope you like onigiri and sukiyaki!”
 
“I do. Thank you.”
 
“Hatori-san?”
 
“Yes.” Hatori sipped his tea. He was glaring at Shigure. Yuki wondered why.
 
“Don't worry,” Akito said smoothly. “I'm not going to take the bracelet. I'm sure you've already learned your lesson. You already know you're a disgusting monster. So does Yuki. Isn't that right, Yuki?”
 
“He's not a monster.”
 
“Are you disagreeing with me?”
 
Yuki felt a thrill of fear. The correct answer to this question was always “no.” It was the only one he ever got right consistently. If he told the truth, would Akito hurt Kyo? He closed his eyes tightly. “Yes.”
 
Anger flared in Akito's eyes, but then was stifled. “You're right, yes, he is a monster.”
 
“That's not what he said, damn it,” Kyo said. “He said he disagreed. Quit putting words in his mouth.”
 
“I'm afraid you're wrong, stupid cat,” Akito replied. “He would never disagree with me on that point.”
 
“I said I disagree,” Yuki said, forcing his voice to be steady. “Kyo is not a monster.” He closed his eyes, not wanting to know what the punishment would be.
 
“Yuki, may I talk to you in private for a moment?”
 
“No, you can't,” Kyo said firmly.
 
“Since when is it your decision?” Akito asked.
 
“Dinner is ready!” Honda-san said cheerfully, setting plates out. “Akito-san, would you like more tea?”
 
“Would you stop interrupting when I'm trying to talk to my Juunishi, you little bitch?” Akito shouted at her, grabbing her shirt. Kyo was instantly on his feet, and had Akito away from Honda-san.
 
“Don't you dare call her that! Now, are you going to sit down, or do I have to beat you to a pulp?” Kyo asked. And then Yuki saw something in Akito's eyes that he had never seen there before in his life. It was fear. But it was quickly mastered, and Akito threw Kyo onto the floor.
 
“Sit down, stupid cat. Behave like the civilized human being that Yuki for some reason thinks you are, and sit down, and eat.” Then, as though to set a mature example, Akito calmly sat down, straightening his collar. Suddenly, in the eyes of all the adults at the table, nothing had happened and Kyo had attacked Akito for no reason. Yuki felt his blood begin to burn. So typical. Kyo looked confused, and slightly embarrassed, and he glanced at Yuki. He saw the gratitude in Yuki's eyes, and sighed a little, reassured, before taking his place beside Yuki again.
 
Honda-san was a little shaky, but she set out the food and sat down next to Yuki, opposite Akito. I should have tried to defend her. But Kyo already had it under control. He smiled at her reassuringly. She tentatively returned the smile. Yuki looked at Akito, then looked at Kyo. Are we actually all going to make it through this meal unharmed?
 
They all took food and waited. Akito glared at Kyo. “Can't we keep this thing away from the table? I want to eat, and its presence disgusts me.” No one responded. “Hatori, please take the cat to his room.”
 
Of course. Ask Hatori.
 
Hatori paused for a moment, then sighed. “Kyo, come on. He has a point. God and the cat are not supposed to eat at the same table.”
 
Kyo slowly and casually leaned his chin against his palm and looked at Hatori. Yuki suddenly couldn't help a smile. Kyo was such a cat.
 
“Kyo…” Hatori started.
 
“Nope. I want to sit by Yuki. He's my friend. Sorry if you've got a problem with that, but I'm going to stay right here. The sukiyaki is very good, by the way. Thank you, Tohru. Please pass the onigiri, Shigure.”
 
Yuki couldn't believe it. Kyo was openly defying Akito and getting away with it. He was completely without fear.
 
“You stupid cat,” Akito spat. “You think you can protect him? You're a monster!”
 
“I don't see how that has any bearing on this situation,” Kyo replied calmly. “In fact, it's almost a contradiction. After all, I only have this bracelet rendering me innocuous.”
 
Everyone caught the thinly veiled threat, except maybe Honda-san, and Yuki wondered how he dared. But there was fire in Kyo's eyes now, and he wasn't backing down. Ask him. Ask him to let you go! Tell him to let you go! Do it, Kyo! But he knew Kyo wouldn't. Because right now, Kyo was only concerned about Yuki. He wasn't thinking about anything else. Damn his one-track mind! Yuki didn't understand. If Kyo wasn't afraid of Akito, why was he allowing himself to be locked up? Surely he didn't think he deserved it!
 
“I don't have to sit here and listen to this,” Akito said angrily, rising. “This is just the type of behavior I would expect from the cat. I'm disgusted. Hatori! Take me home.”
 
The relief on Hatori's eyes was almost tangible. “Yes, Akito-sama.”
 
Then, in a swift motion, Akito had picked up his plate and thrown it in Yuki's face. Yuki gave a cry as it hit him, shattering.
 
“Yuki!” All was confusion for a moment, and Shigure, for once, looked panicked as Yuki sank to the ground. His eyesight blurred.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Akito grabbed Kyo by the collar. “That's what you get for being insolent, you stupid cat.” He dropped him and started to leave. Kyo picked himself up and ran to attack, but felt Yuki's arms around his legs.
 
“Kyo… he's leaving… It's okay.”
 
“But—!”
 
Akito was already out the door with Hatori, who had apparently decided that getting Akito out was the best thing he could do for Yuki right now. Kyo sank down, slamming the table with his fist. He looked at Yuki, who was now unconscious. “It's all right,” Tohru said. “I think he'll be okay in a little while. Could you get me a pair of tweezers and some rubbing alcohol please?”
 
Kyo got them. He watched Tohru remove shards of porcelain from Yuki's face. His face was swollen, bleeding, and bruised. I got carried away. Damn it! I was just… damn it, why didn't I think it through? Of course this is Akito's way! He punishes others, not you! Why didn't I think? He looked at Yuki's unconscious figure. Is he mad at me? He must think I'm an idiot. Now Akito hurt him again, and it's my fault.
 
“Really, Kyo, what did you think you were doing?” Shigure asked. “People don't talk to Akito like that. For obvious reasons.” For some reason, he looked guity.
 
“I get it, stupid dog.” Don't rub it in my face.
 
“Could you get the bandages, Shigure-san?”
 
Shigure got them and handed them to her. At last, Yuki was bandaged, and Kyo and Shigure carried him to the sofa in the other room.
 
“Tohru-kun, you have work, don't you?” Shigure asked.
 
Tohru checked the clock. “Yes, but…”
 
“Yuki will be all right. He'll have Kyo-kun taking care of him.”
 
“Then… then I'll hurry back as quickly as I can!”
 
“Don't worry,” Kyo said, trying to tell himself the same thing.
 
“Um… and I'll ask the doctors if they have any advice.”
 
“How are you going to explain about the plate getting thrown in his face?” Shigure asked. “These things don't just happen.”
 
“I… I see. Then I'll just hurry back. Good luck!”
 
“Come home safe,” Kyo told her as she left. Shigure went to his office, leaving Kyo alone with Yuki. Lovely. Kyo leaned against the side of the sofa, waiting. Suddenly, he felt a hand on his head.
 
“Thank you,” Yuki whispered. Kyo looked up. Yuki slowly sat up. There were tears in his eyes. Kyo sat beside him, and Yuki hugged him. “Thank you so much.”
 
“Don't cry,” Kyo said. “You'll mess up your bandages.” He gently wiped the tears from Yuki's eyes with his fingers. “Why are you thanking me? You got hurt because of me.”
 
“It's the thought that counts,” Yuki replied quietly, hugging Kyo again. “Really, it is. You're the first person who's ever, ever defied Akito to help me. Do you have any idea what that means to me?”
 
“But he hurt you…”
 
“I'll be fine. It barely hurts. It'll get better. Kyo, it was always… I don't know how to explain. Did you catch the look in his eyes? That wasn't him taking pleasure in causing you pain. That was him lashing out, trying to get back at you because he'd already lost. You won! Don't you see that? Kyo…” Yuki's eyes were shining. “Kyo-nii, you weren't afraid at all.”
 
Kyo blinked, a little shocked at the admiration he saw in Yuki's eyes. “Well…”
 
“Oh!” Yuki seemed to suddenly remember something. “Kyo, ask him to let you go! Tell him to!”
 
“What?” What did that have to do with this?
 
“You didn't back down! Tell him to let you go, and don't back down!”
 
Kyo looked off to the side. “I'll think about it.” He looked back at Yuki. “You sure you're all right?”
 
“I'm fine. Kyo, what's wrong?”
 
“I have only this bracelet rendering me innocuous.” “We can talk about that later, okay?” “He's not a monster.” “Are you disagreeing with me?” “Yes.” Thank you.
 
Yuki nodded. “Okay.”