Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Hinagiku no Nikki ❯ Entry Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Dear Diary,

Today we went to see Akito. Yuki, Kyo, Tohru and Daddy were all worried, but I didn't know why. Later on Hatori came to pick us up. At first he seemed a little scary, and wouldn't answer any of my questions, like the one about his eye. He and Daddy were good friends, even though Hatori kept calling him a hack and told him to stop being a jellyfish. I didn't understand a word of it.

When we got to the Honke, I was so scared I could barely even get out of the car. Daddy and Hatori took me to a dark, quiet room inside the main house, and the first thing I saw was Akito. He had black hair and creepy teal eyes. He had on a reddish-pink yukata I think, but it was hard to see because the room was dark. Akito kept asking me about questions about America. One of them was, "What was it like living there?"

"I lived in a place that was very cold and had two very good friends, Hana and Ame. We all went to school together." Akito also asked me what my first day in Japan was like. I told him about how Tohru and I made dinner and Kyo yelled at me when I tried to help him. The last thing Akito asked me is if I hugged my dad yet. I told him no, and he smiled really scary and told me to do it now. I went over to Daddy and asked him what was going on. He told me just to listen to Akito and everything would be okay, so I hugged him, and then *POOF*! He was gone! All that was left were his clothes and a big black dog sitting on top of them! Akito then told me the zodiac story like Mommy used to, but this time he used names instead of the animals. I'll write them down before I forget-

Rat- Yuki

Ox- Hatsuharu

Tiger- Kisa

Rabbit- Momiji

Dragon- Hatori

Snake- Ayame

Sheep- Hiro

Horse- Isuzu (Akito also called her Rin)

Monkey- Ritsu

Rooster- Kureno

Dog- Daddy (Shigure)

Boar- Kagura

Kyo's the Cat, even though he isn't a part of the Zodiac. By the time Akito was done, Daddy was human again, and dressed (I was told that the jyuunishi- that's what Akito says the Zodiac was called in Japanese- come back without their clothes).

That night, when we got home, Daddy asked me if I was afraid of him, Kyo and Yuki. I'm not, but I am sad that I can't ever hug my father.

Hinagiku

____

Akito passed away almost two weeks ago on September 6. I do mourn his loss, mostly because he never hurt me and he was often even friendly to me on his visits. When I was told of what he had done to Yuki and Hatori, I was old enough and empathetic towards Akito to understand why. But he's gone, and Yuki and Tohru's one-years-old son Hiroshi is to be the next sacrifice to the jyuunishi. Yet another child born simply to die…My sincerest birthday wish today is for the curse to someday break, and no one else shall have to suffer as Yuki and Tohru do, and as Hiroshi undoubtedly will.

What is written in my diary entry makes Akito and my first meeting seem shorter than it actually was, but I never could remember much anyway, most likely because I was so frightened of him. I now see him as I should have then- sad, lonely, hated…Things Hiroshi may become if everyone tells him the things they told Akito. All the latter ever heard was that he was born to give life to the jyuunishi, and that is his only purpose, and that is not fair. It wasn't fair to Akito, and it certainly isn't fair to Hiroshi.