Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Seasons of Sorrow ❯ Embers of Summer's Glory = In Our Dojo ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: Welcome to my fanfic that has no monetary value beyond the realm of cyberspace. Enjoy.
 
 
Embers of Summer's Glory
Chapter 41: In Our Dojo
Edited by: TBD
 
A line of the dojo's top students faced the wall opposite them, all in perfect unison in their stance. Their teacher beheld them momentarily, eyeing them critically before turning his calculating gaze to the remaining students behind them. It was to these individuals that he directed his attention to.
 
“Today's performance was sub par. I am immensely disappointed that not one of you managed to keep a clear focus of the fundamental basics of the katas we just worked on yesterday. Just having the top six students of this dojo capable of performing them is not acceptable in this dojo. You will practice on these for the rest of the day. Dismissed.”
 
“That was rather…blunt…heheh,” chuckled lowly Hajime as the others started pairing off to practice the katas as instructed by Kazuma who has retreated to his office. “Hey, Hiko, want to go practice outside while these slackers catch up with us?”
 
“You guys can count yourselves as part of those `slackers'. Both of you will head into the next classroom and practice those meditation exercises you've been putting off these past couple of weeks,” sternly remarked Kunimitsu from behind them. Looking over at Kyo and Haru talking to some second-years, he called out to them. “Kyo, take Haru to the third classroom and go over with him those exercises we went over last week. Keisuke is already on his way there to practice with Tetsuya.”
 
“Sure. Come on, Haru,” remarked Kyo while pulling the tall teen away from the other group. Once outside the room, he headed down the hallway to the other classroom. “Man, Shishou was pissed…”
 
“Hm…strange,” commented Haru sedately while following the other carefully.
 
“Pft, yeah, that's pretty obvious.” Shaking his head at that, he shrugged his shoulders as he stretched his arms over his head while yawning lightly. “Well…mmm…it's bound to be like this from now on. The tournament's getting closer, and these idiots can't get their act together with getting the easy stuff done right.”
 
“HYAA!”
 
At hearing that coming from the classroom they were to practice in, Kyo picked up his pace to get there hopefully unnoticed. Upon arriving, with Haru looking over his shoulder, they both looked to the scene before them as two individuals came at each other in parries that were well executed.
 
Rare were the moments that Kyo could just simply watch and observe this one individual practice. Keisuke was good as any partner to practice with, at times even better than Haru for the sole reason that Keisuke didn't fly off the handle when the going got tough. Yet, Keisuke was not as well adept at putting Kyo on his guard as this one Sohma was. It stood to reason, though, considering this one Sohma's background.
 
`Tetsuya must have come in while Shishou was giving us the lecture.' Kyo observed that despite how less involved Tetsuya now was with the dojo, the elder Sohma (by three years) was still in top shape and form. `Hmph…guess those katas at kendo help him out after all. And to think karate is just his second-best sport.'
 
Kyo suddenly was brought out of his musing when a sudden hand thrust was right before his face. Stepping back a few paces, he blinked in shock and looked to the person before him. “What the hell?!”
 
“Hm…so you were just daydreaming,” replied Tetsuya serenely as he pulled back his arm. Taking a towel from Keisuke, he nodded in greeting. “Kyo…are you ready to have another go at it?”
 
Smirking, Kyo stood tall and proud before him, both being of equal stature to stare at one another squarely. It was a long standing agreement between them that they will push each other as need be to advance in their skill level. This time, it was Kyo's turn to push for a win. “Pft, you know it! I just need to get Haru up and running with his katas. Kunimitsu wanted him to work on them. How about you?”
 
“The usual…catch-up work plus the katas Shihan had me practice while I was out. Trust me, it's better to work on them here than in an office,” Tetsuya replied while downing water from a bottle.
 
Kyo snorted loudly and tapped the young man on the shoulder while passing him by as he walked into the room. “Yeah, I warned ya, didn't I? Getting into the corporate world is murder! Should have stuck with us…or your kendo for that matter. Say, how's the old man these days? He retired this past winter, right?”
 
“Master Haji retired last February and is still in good health. Stubborn as always,” replied Tetsuya with a small smile.
 
Kyo could return the gesture as he remembered the elderly Sohma fondly. Well, somewhat fondly. Perhaps more like with a general good feeling. Okay…more like tolerance tinged with a bit of respect since the old man got on his nerves enough to want to choke him at times but refrained from doing so.
 
According to Kazuma, it just wouldn't be `proper' if he did so considering this Sohma was his `grandfather'. Being the youngest brother of Kazuma's grandfather, the previous Cat of the Zodiac, the elderly Sohma qualified for that unique position. Still, despite the relation to the previous Cat, the family in general deeply respected him, he being the eldest in the whole Sohma clan.
 
“Stubborn old man. I'll be turning old and gray before he decides to keel over,” grumbled lowly Kyo as he started the exercises with Haru. Yet even with his grumblings, he still held back the `bite' in his remarks, knowing how much the old Sohma worked hard to keep the peace in the `inner' circle of the family with Kyo's so-called release into the outside world.
 
It was no secret. Next to Akito's say-so, Master Haji's opinion mattered, end of discussion. Much like his opinion mattered in the outside world. While Kazuma's field of expertise extended into the martial arts, Master Haji was renowned throughout Japan and much of the world with his expertise in the ancient art of kendo, `the way of the sword', along with jaido, the art of precision cutting with an actual sword. It was this art form that Tetsuya pursued in as much as Kyo pursued in the martial arts.
 
Still, with all the glory of being who he is and what he is, Kyo found the man downright annoying and just too… `Damn ornery! He's always giving me the lectures, the old coot. And he likes to hit me with his damn cane! Shishou says he loves us all and means well…pft. Hell, his `love' hurts! Maybe he should get together with ol' Hamada. Two old coots that do their damndest to get on my last nerve…'
 
And even still, Kyo could only admit to himself that he wouldn't change the old man for anything in the world.
 
“He said he would come by to visit when he gets the chance,” continued Tetsuya while stretching his limbs further. “This exhibition has him tied up right now. I've been splitting my time here and at the office with helping him get all the arrangements together.”
 
“Oh yeah…Shishou mentioned something about it the other day.” Setting himself across from Haru, both in perfect stance, Kyo commenced the katas as instructed. He could tell that Haru really needed the workout. “Something about there (lurch) being a summer showing (dodge) at the convention center in town. Hey, you know (lunge) that the main arena at the center (HYAA!) will be where our tournament's gonna be?”
 
“Master Haji wanted to take advantage of the tournament being held there and arranged the exhibition to be set up there, too, so that it'll get as much public viewing as possible.” Finished with the water bottle, Tetsuya soon commenced with his practice with Keisuke as his partner. Each went through several parries with one another, mostly being won by Tetsuya with little effort.
 
“Must be (lunge) some (lurch) exhibition,” bit out Kyo through some rough moments in dodging Haru's punches and kicks. `Damn, he's getting better. I've got keep at it to stay on top. Hell no will I lose to him!'
 
“You will see when you come to the private opening gala with Shihan. You will be there, right?” Tetsuya's dark black-brown eyes kept a steady gaze on the punches and kicks from his partner, but he never once failed to counter them as he continued his conversation with Kyo. “You keep giving me excuses when you fail to show up at other gatherings…”
 
“That's because (lunge) they're too (HYAA!) boring!” remarked tightly Kyo as he finally landed Haru on the ground with one swift kick. `That's what I'm talking about!' (OOMPH!)
 
“Don't let your guard down (panting) little kitty,” replied Haru from his position on the floor, breathing heavily from his rough exercise. He turned his aching head to the side to see a very much put-out Sohma, and he vaguely wondered if Kyo was hungry. `Such a random thought…maybe I'm hungry. Hm…'
 
If it's one thing Tetsuya could count on from Kyo, it was his somewhat brutal honesty. He never beat around the bush or `sugar-coat' his remarks. Much to the detriment of his adoptive father, no doubt. But to him, it was rather refreshing to hear it. He hears enough of the other kind to make his stomach roll.
 
“This time it won't be I assure you. Invite someone to take along.” Finishing up the last of his katas, he bowed to Keisuke before turning towards the door. Passing by the strewn-out bodies of the two Sohma youths, he threw them each a clean towel. “There are some water bottles in that cooler in the corner over there. I need to tend to a personal matter right now, so we'll have to delay our match for another week. I'll see you two later.”
 
“Hey…hey! Come…back!” called out Kyo, grimacing a bit as he started to sit up. Rubbing the back of his head a little, he scowled at the sprawled Ox that had a sly grin still in place.
 
“Admit it. I got you good,” remarked said Ox glibly.
 
Shoving Haru's shoulder for lack of a comeback response, Kyo hoisted himself off the floor and gave the teen a kick on the leg for good measure. As he dried the sweat from his face with the towel, he went in search of the water bottles. He called out over his shoulder, “That was cheatin', Haru. It don't count in a real match.”
 
Haru sighed heavily, shaking his head mildly at the obvious denial in Kyo's voice. “Of course not. But that doesn't change the result.”
 
Making faces to himself at how absurd the whole thing was, Kyo took out two bottles from the cooler. Chucking one over his shoulder, confident that Haru would catch it, he opened his and downed it quickly. “Aaahh. That hits the spot.”
 
Joining him from the floor, Haru drank his quickly as well. Wiping his brow with the back of his sleeve, he replied between gulps, “I need…to work harder.”
 
“Pft, no shock there. That's what these katas are for.” Grabbing another bottle, Kyo threw the empty one back in the cooler. It will be Yuki's job to clean up the messes they make. Just thinking about that made Kyo grin even more as he purposely left his towel on the floor.
 
“Hey, Kyo…” Finishing his bottle, Haru twirled it in his hands, thinking how best to phrase his thoughts on a matter that he wasn't even too sure about.
 
“Yeah?” Drinking slowly from his second bottle, Kyo leaned against the wall lazily, wondering what other snide remark the Ox had ready for him.
 
“What do you think…about Tetsuya-san?” asked Haru quietly.
 
“Damn good! He may be into all that kendo, jaido stuff…whatever, but he can put a mean beatin' on anyone that takes him on. Hell, he can put up a good fight with Kunimitsu any day! Can't wait to get another shot at him!” exclaimed Kyo excitedly as he thought of the next round with his teammate.
 
Still sitting on the floor, Haru stared at the empty bottle and prodded further, “Not as a martial artist. As a…person…”
 
“Geez, Haru, he's family for one thing. Been studying under Shishou off and on longer than I have obviously. Too bad his dad is into getting him all dolled up for the corporate crap of the world. Another goose in a suit. But he's still cool, you know?” Feeling refreshed, Kyo stretched his arms above his head and let out a mighty yawn. “So what's with the sudden urge to ask…hm?”
 
“His friend doesn't like Yuki much,” pointed out Haru.
 
“Aw hell…let's just stop the world when someone doesn't worship the ground the Nezumi walks on,” retorted Kyo sarcastically. “Keisuke's smart enough not to buy into all that hype about Yuki being all that. Yuki got the job because Shishou said so…end of discussion. The Rat is a third-rate reject…hell, it doesn't take a genius to teach a bunch kids how to breathe right.”
 
“And yet the `third-rate reject' manages to beat you each and every time,” shot back Haru with a sly smile.
 
“That won't be the case the next time I challenge him!” cried out Kyo animatedly. His eyes gleamed with determination, declaring his solemn vow. “The next time…I'll be sure to finish it.”
 
`That sounds awfully familiar.' Getting up to his feet, he stared back at Kyo seriously, hopefully conveying how important his next remark is. “Tetsuya-san's father doesn't like us much either. Can you honestly trust someone that has that many people around him that don't respect us?”
 
“Hey, Tetsuya isn't like his dad, all right? As far as Keisuke goes, he can be on the Nezumi's case for all I care.” Leaving his empty bottle on the floor, Kyo made his way to the door when he abruptly stopped and asked lowly, “How do you know about the dad anyway? It's not like Tetsuya talks much about him…”
 
“I do live at the Main House, Kyo,” pointed out Haru in obvious form. Walking to Kyo, he shoved him slightly as he made his way out, his parting words being, “If you decide to go to that thing, watch your back. And I don't mean looking out for the girls, either.”
 
Kyo could only shake his head in wonder at how little sense the Ox was making, not that Haru was ever truly forthcoming in the meaning behind his remarks. `Always talking in riddles or half-riddles. As if I don't already watch my back. I'm not about to doubt anyone just because they don't adore the Rat. Suits me fine if they don't. All the better…proves that being the Rat is not special. He's NOT.'
 
—ooo—
 
“The floors are nice and shiny!” quipped Himeka happily as she led the way, staring at the luminous floors below.
 
“The towels are all picked up, too,” added Yunosuke while carrying the empty buckets.
 
Shinpachi huffed a bit since he was the one that helped clean most of the floors in record time in a mock battle against his Sensei. He followed the other two tiredly. “All water bottles collected. Geez, some people are such hogs.”
 
“Shinpachi-kun! People can't be hogs!” exclaimed Himeka innocently.
 
Shinpachi rolled his eyes as he sighed heavily. “I know that, Himeka-chan. I was just being sarcastic!”
 
“But the description fits,” affirmed Yunosuke, grimacing at the recollections of littered and dirty one of the classrooms was. Tilting his head back, he asked out loud, “Ne, Yuki-Sensei, don't you think they should be more helpful in keeping the dojo clean? Isn't it like rude to leave it a mess once you're done practicing?”
 
`Not if it means that I get to clean it all up. Way too many idiots are all too ready to forgo etiquette and gladly leave me their mess to clean up.' Being the last in this line that was headed to the on-site laundromat, Yuki opted to not voice that thought for his students to hear. Shifting a basket full of dirty towels from one arm to the other, he worded himself differently from his thoughts. “We'll just have to kindly remind them when we see them leave their mess behind. All of you have been a wonderful help today. I do appreciate it.”
 
“Hey, Yubo, where's your brother? He's supposed to be here today, right?” asked Shinpachi excitedly, obviously happy that he'll get to see Yunosuke's brother today.
 
“He's around, Shin. We'll find him later,” replied Yunosuke, unfazed by his friend's eagerness to meet his brother. At spotting the large room that served as the dojo's laundry room, he quickly picked up his languid pace as he hauled the buckets. Passing Himeka, who was again immersed in her books on karate, he reached the room and dumped the buckets in a corner.
 
“Geez, Yubo, what's the rush?” asked Shinpachi from the doorway, having ran after Yunosuke and now was panting with exhaustion. `Man…I shouldn't have tried to compete against Yuki-Sensei. Heck, he didn't even break a sweat!'
 
“Come on, Shin. There's another basket full of dirty towels that need to be washed.” With that, Yunosuke turned to his teacher that arrived unhurried. “Ne, Yuki-Sensei, we'll get that last basket for you. You can start on this load, and we'll bring the others in a few minutes. Come on, Shin! It's your own fault for being so tired.”
 
“You've got to be kidding! That basket is at the other end of the building!” protested loudly Shinpachi as he was dragged away by Yunosuke.
 
`Yunosuke-kun has a strong grip when he puts his mind to it.' Smiling fondly, Yuki turned his attention to the joyous task of washing the laundry. How he now truly appreciated all of Tohru's hard work in the past with getting their laundry done.
 
“Yunosuke-kun really likes you, Yuki-Sensei,” remarked Himeka with a giggle. “He always talks about you with the other kids at school.”
 
“Does he now?” Yuki grinned at this remark, not yet turning around to address her as he took the dirty towels to the washer. He normally wouldn't be near a machine as complicated as the washer, but Kazuma was caring enough to draw pictures of what steps to take on big sheets of paper taped to the wall. Fixating the necessary attention to complete this task, he failed to capture his student's passing comment. “I'm sorry, what was that, Himeka-chan?”
 
“I said that he thinks you're the best teacher ever. He even says that you can beat anyone in this dojo! Can you really, Yuki-Sensei?” asked the young girl eagerly with her large glasses crowding her face.
 
That certainly caught his full attention. Sparing little interest to his motions with getting the laundry done, he turned to her with a look of mild shock. “Oh, well, I really don't know about that, Himeka-chan. I hardly lift a fist to anyone (`okay, maybe so every now and then or even a kick here and there, but hey, Kyo or the baka Inu ask for it'), and I wouldn't want to either. It's…not something I'm personally interested in finding out.”
 
“Why not, Yuki-Sensei? If you're really good, don't you want to prove it to the others?” she persisted.
 
“Well, what do you think, Himeka-chan? Do you think someone who is a good fighter should be forcing others to fight him just to prove that he's better than they are?” he asked as he turned the situation around, hopefully proving his case.
 
“Hm… I guess…that sort of sounds like…a bully. We have those kinds of people at school, and I don't like them much. You're no bully, Yuki-Sensei,” she replied with conviction.
 
“Thank you, Himeka-chan. It's good to know that my student believes I'm not that sort of person.” Turning to his laundry, he noted that he forgot to turn it on. Setting the timer, he had the washer running. He looked back to his student and smiled happily at her. “You know, Shihan will be holding some sessions soon with the students participating in the tournament. I bet I can convince him to let us sit in on them. What do you say…me, you, Shinpachi-kun, and Yunosuke-kun. I'll take you all out for ice-cream afterwards.”
 
“Really? You'll do that for us?” she asked with utter awe and joy mixed in her tone.
 
“Considering all the help I get from you three, it's the least I can do. So…is that a yes then?” He couldn't help but smile wider at her jumps for joy.
 
“HAI! Oh, thank you, Yuki-Sensei! I'll go tell them right now!” she cried out gleefully, running out the door with a spring to her step and with her book still in her arms.
 
Yuki shook his head and smiled as she left, amazed how such simple things gave such joy to young children. Glad that he was able to do that much for them, he went out the doorway that led to a back garden to continue fulfilling his daily duties. Letting the slight breeze cool him, he took the hose out and started washing the buckets out that Yunosuke had carried. The floors were indeed very dirty as the grime washed off proved it, but it was to be expected this time of year, what with the heat and sweaty bodies.
 
“Heh, you really know how to make your students adore you, Yun-chan!” merrily quipped the petite lady next to him as she helped him wash the buckets out.
 
“How long were you standing by the doorway, Kagura?” he asked curiously, parting enough water for her to clean out the bucket.
 
“Hm…twenty minutes, I think?” Eyeing him with a knowing gaze, she smiled widely and replied quietly, “You know…they're right.”
 
Taking his now clean bucket, he stood up and turned off the water. He reached out with his arms and stretched his tired limbs over his head. “Mmm…about…?”
 
“You can beat just about anyone at the dojo,” she clarified as she too stretched her weary limbs. It had been a tiring day with her practice sessions, and she grimly noted that it would be that way until the tournament was over.
 
“Heh, I really don't think so. Shihan would definitely have me down on my face in two minutes flat.” Laughing softly, he wondered why many thought him to be so strong. He was nowhere near the level of expertise as his teacher was. Only proof there was that he could even lift a fist or kick was in each beating he gave Kyo. And now thinking about it, it's been a long time since he's even done that…well, aside from small moments when Kyo got on his last nerve.
 
“Well, Kyo aside, I've not fought with anyone else. I wonder how good Kunimitsu is. I've never really been given the chance to try. My lessons back then were…cut short.” In actuality, his private lessons never went beyond basic forms of defense and offense. Akito had seen fit to pull him permanently from the lessons. No reason ever given…not that he expected one and to this day, he never gave it more thought. It just…is.
 
She knew of his limited educational experience with Kazuma. All logic would dictate that he would have next to no chance of ever getting a shot in with his teacher or anyone else for that matter. Even a second-year should be able to send him out of the ring with hardly any effort. All members at the dojo (not counting the youngest students) have more hands-on experience than Yuki ever had in his whole life. True, he always fought Kyo, but from an outside perspective, the times they fought involved one or two swift moves from Yuki to knock Kyo out. Prolonged fights between them were indeed few and far between. So, all logic would dictate that Sohma Yuki had talent that was well below the average second-year's level.
 
And yet…
 
Logic never made much sense in a family that had an ancient curse of the Jyuunishi blessed upon them. It certainly made little sense when it involved the Jyuunishi themselves.
 
“That may be true, but still…you can take them on. I have faith in that belief.” She will not be swayed in what she knows to be true, however improbable or unlikely her belief may be. Her belief is ingrained into her mind, body, and soul…it's as certain as the rain that comes down and the sun that rises. It's a truth…a fact…she needs nothing else to prove her right.
 
Leaning against the building's wall, he looked to her with a fond grin. If she has her mind set on something she believes in, there's no convincing her otherwise. Suddenly, a thought came to him…rather belatedly. “Hey, why are you here standing outside? It's a bit hot to be out here for twenty minutes. Did your practice sessions already end for the day?”
 
“I'm afraid not, much to the dismay of her teammates,” replied the young man that was now walking up to them from around a tree. Giving Yuki a formal bow as his position would call for, he turned to Kagura with a serene smile. “Kagura, you are looking well today. Your teammates mentioned you had gone out suddenly, probably for a walk. I'm glad I got the chance to catch you before I left today.”
 
“Tetsuya-kun, you are looking good today, too. How's your family?” she asked politely as she slightly inched closer next to Yuki.
 
“Keeping busy. Okaa-san is off at a charity event this week in Tokyo, and Otou-san is at his main office downtown.” Glancing at the silent teacher, he added lowly, “Yubo should be around…” Walking closer to the two, he turned his attention from the slim teen who was strangely observing him carefully. He looked to Kagura with a wider smile. “How's your mother, Kagura-san? I've not seen her since New Year's.”
 
“Great, she's doing well. Ah…hey, you came to look for me, right? Did you need to ask me something or…” she trailed off as she nervously looked to the taller man before her. She had her reasons to be wary and could only hope that her fears were unfounded this time.
 
“Yes…” He looked to Yuki, seeing that the teacher was making no move to leave. Aware that his time is short, he gave no further attention to him and focused on the young lady next to him. “Well, there's an exhibition that Master Haji has put together downtown…”
 
Stalling the inevitable was her one and only goal. And stall she will. “Oh, that's wonderful! How is he by the way? I didn't get a chance to talk with him much at New Year's. Oh, oh, I just remembered! You received your ninth degree in jaido. I'm sure Master Haji is so pleased! It must have been really hard taking that exam. Does the exhibition offer much of what Master Haji's been hoping to put together?”
 
Yuki looked to Kagura worriedly, certain that she would run out of air before she stopped talking. `Is talking with Tetsuya-san that upsetting to her? Why?'
 
Hearing the opportunity to interject, Tetsuya took it quickly before they stay out there talking all the way through the evening. “YES, Master Haji is doing well and is very excited about the exhibition, which brings me to why I came to look for you.”
 
“Oh…yeah…um…so… What brings you here?” she asked with a somewhat forced smile. `Here we go…'
 
It did irk him having to do this in front of Yuki, but Tetsuya pushed ahead. He wasn't about to blow this chance because of the teacher's presence. It did give him cause to wonder why Kagura would be here with him, but he set that aside for the time being. “There's going to be an opening gala in celebration of this rare exhibition. I would very much like for you to attend with me. Is this agreeable with you?”
 
She gave her ponytail a flick, a dead giveaway to those that knew her that she was nervous. “Well…I'm not sure. Ano…hm…when is it?”
 
“This Thursday evening. Is that a problem?” he asked with slight alarm ringing in his voice. `I checked ahead with the family closest to her. There wasn't anything pending on that night.'
 
“No, no. Um…well, maybe…let's see…heh.” She groaned inwardly at hearing herself painfully die at saying no to this particular Sohma. And it was only to this one person… What she would give to just say no, but…
 
“I apologize. I am actually the reason she's so flustered.” Taking her wrist into his hand, Yuki pulled her a ways to the side, slightly behind him as he smiled calmly to Tetsuya. “You see, she can't go anywhere like to a formal event without an escort…her mother's idea. And her mother can be very picky about who it is. So…I'm usually the one she must take along. Not much of a fun date, don't you think?”
 
It couldn't be helped. The piercing gaze Tetsuya had been holding back came rushing forward as he stared at the younger Sohma before him. Never had he felt his emotions get the best of him, but it very nearly did this time around. He couldn't place them exactly. It was always, always around this one member of his large extended family.
 
Sohma Yuki. Who is he truly? Not much was said about him in general with the family, except that prominent members of the family, including Master Haji, held him in high opinion. And his father…he always grew distant with anything remotely resembling the topic. Question is…why? Why this…kid? He knew more about the smaller members of the Sohma family than he did about Yuki. He was now determined to fulfill his next goal…to pry some truth from the vault that is his father's mind. He will not put up with being left in ignorance any longer.
 
`This will not do.' Returning the smile with one of his own, Tetsuya remarked quietly, “I don't mind. You are more than welcome to join us, Yuki…-Sensei.”
 
In the pit of his empty stomach, Yuki felt the lead of Tetsuya's gaze aimed his way. He was quite certain that another individual was added to the ongoing list of people that would like to see him leave the dojo permanently. Looking back at Kagura who merely gave him a resigned look, he responded, “Thank you. We'll meet you then at the gala, right Kagura?”
 
“Hai. Thank you for the invitation, Tetsuya-kun. You are so kind,” bowed in deference Kagura, using Yuki as her shield between herself and Tetsuya.
 
“Wonderful then. I'll make the arrangements to have Yuki-Sensei allowed inside. I must leave now to get to the office on time. Good day to you, Kagura…Yuki-Sensei.” Bidding his goodbyes, Tetsuya walked off to get ready for his business meeting with his father. He may have to tolerate Yuki's presence outside the dojo as well, but this time he'll be more knowledgeable about the enigma that was known as Sohma Yuki. His father will inform him of what he needs to know…he must.
 
“Yun-chan…I'm…I'm so sorry.” Seeing Tetsuya finally leave, Kagura could only sigh heavily with disappointment, clearly upset of what just happened.
 
“No, I'm sorry. I had hoped to keep him away, but instead I made matters worse for you. Please forgive me for intervening in your personal business.” Yuki honestly believed Tetsuya would not want him around and would opt out of an evening with Kagura if only to avoid his presence. That much was true, however, he underestimated Tetsuya's desire to go out with Kagura. Which brought him to this conclusion… “Kagura, you already knew of Tetsuya-san's interest, didn't you?”
 
She flicked her ponytail again, avoiding eye contact with him. She rubbed her neck nervously as she confessed. “Well…of course. I've known Tetsuya-kun for many years now. He's always been…him. Generous…fair…persistent. Very…persistent. Hardly a `no' ever came his way. He's a lot like his dad in that regard. But, hey, it's my fault for not standing up and just saying no, whether it worked out or not.”
 
“Why couldn't you, Kagura?” he asked bewildered. He just couldn't grasp the fact that she refused to (or maybe she was unable to) stand her ground against another individual. Or boldly declare of her affections on someone else. It just wasn't…Kagura.
 
“Heh…it's not him per se. It's his dad…” She couldn't shake off the chills off her arms at recalling the mere image of that man. It would have ranked right up there with the image of Akito in her mind if not for the tolerance she has now built up when around the `God' of the Jyuunishi. It was no small task to get to this point with Akito, but time does wonders to one's psyche when faced with the object of your disdain/confusion/fear on a constant basis. And she will continue to do so for as long as she needed to, if only to ensure she would have her relationship with Ritsu left alone.
 
“What does Tetsuya-san's father have anything to do with this?” Clearly he doesn't understand the nature of her concern, and he couldn't help it. He truly was kept in the dark about a lot of the family affairs. Shigure never talks about the family at home, and Kureno will only answer specific questions when asked. `Well, I'm definitely going to get him to answer a few questions after today.'
 
“You'll see. I'm sure he'll be at the gala,” murmured Kagura softly as she stared at the serene garden around them, calming her raging nerves and stilling the urge to hit something.
 
“YUKI-SENSEI!!! HEAD FOR COVER!!!! YUBO, HIMEKA-CHAN—HIT THE DECK!!!”
 
Jerking around to face the panicked voice of Shinpachi, Yuki saw that his deepest fears were revealed…well, one of them anyway. “ALL THREE OF YOU—GET OUT OF THE BUILDING AND STAY IN THE GARDEN!!!”
 
Seeing them file out of the building and approach him, he had to stifle the laugh that was bubbling forth. The poor kids were covered from head to toe. “Here, stay next to Kagura and don't move. Let me get this taken care of.”
 
“Yuki-Sensei…what did you do to the washer?!?” cried out Shinpachi in shock.
 
Sputtering the substance from his mouth, Yunosuke added, “I think it's broken now.”
 
“I can't see, Yunosuke-kun,” replied Himeka in exasperation as she tried wiping the substance from her large lenses. “Yuki-Sensei…is everything okay?”
 
(BOOM!)
 
“Aw heck, that sounded like an explosion! COOL! Let's go check it out!” cried out Shinpachi gleefully while he tried getting past Yuki with Yunosuke in tow.
 
“NO. Stay here.” Yuki ran forward to reach the laundry room, only to be washed over with suds that came through like an avalanche through the doorway. Pushing his way through, he blindly tried making his way to the destructive device that was the washer machine. Unfortunately for his ears, they worked fine and well, just in time to hear the most eloquent of phrases within the white mass of sudsy soap.
 
“WHAT THE HELL IS ALL THIS? YUKI…THIS IS ALL YOUR DAMN FAULT! I CAN TELL FROM A MILE AWAY!”
 
“Shut up, baka neko. I'm trying to find the machine to turn it off. These suds are coming out nonstop.”
 
“A LITTLE LATE WITH TRYING TO STOP IT NOW! YOU RUINED THE LAUNDRY ROOM! (Thunk) OUCH!! DAMN THIS SHELF! WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO INSTALL SHELVES IN HERE?”
 
“Kyo, theatrics won't get us anywhere. Try helping Yuki locate the washing machine.”
 
“SHISHOU, I'VE BEEN SAYIN' IT FOR ALL THESE MONTHS NOW. AIN'T I'VE BEEN SAYIN' IT? `YUKI'S GONNA BLOW THE LAUNDRY ROOM TO HELL AND BACK.'”
 
“Yes, Kyo. I heard you well, then and now. Could you please focus on finding the machine?”
 
“DAMN STRAIGHT—I WAS RIGHT! (OOMPH!) DAMMIT!!! HARU, GET OFF MY BACK!! DAMN!!! DON'T TOUCH ME THERE...BAKA!!!”
 
“Oh hush, kitty. It's not like you got much to worry about anyway.”
 
“DAMN BASTARD!!! I'LL KICK YOUR SMART ASS TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS DOJO!!!”
 
“Why don't you try to find me first, little kitty?”
 
“Kyo, language!”
 
“It'd be preferable if he shuts up altogether, Shihan. My ears are bleeding with his profound use of profanity since Tohru-san's departure at the house.”
 
“WATCH YOUR MOUTH, BAKA NEZUMI, OR I'LL KICK YOUR ASS TO THE FAR SIDE OF THIS BUILDING, TOO!”
 
“You can certainly try. Tell me when you do…I wouldn't want to miss it.”
 
“OH, YOU'LL FEEL IT ALL RIGHT, YA DAMN MORON!”
 
Gentlemen, this isn't productive. By the way Yuki…how did soap suds manage to invade the laundry room?”
 
“Oh…hm. I'm not sure, Shihan. Too little detergent? Maybe the machine didn't know what to do with it.”
 
“Hm…perhaps. I had the same thing happen at the house. It's still a mystery. We'll ask Kunimitsu when he gets here from the girls dojo.”
 
“I think I've found it.”
 
“DAAAAMMMMMIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! STOP TOUCHING ME, HARU!!!”
 
“Should I get you two a room?”
 
“SHUT THE HELL UP BAKA NEZUMI!!!”
 
“WHO ARE YOU CALLING A BAKA, BAKA?!”
 
“I did wonder when Haru would turn on me.”
 
“Why did you even bother bringing either of them, Shihan?”
 
“It seemed like a good idea at the time.”
 
(SIGH)
 
The audience outside was stunned silent when hearing all the choice words being exchanged in the midst of the snowy white world of detergent gone amok. Kagura could only turn to the trio of young, impressionable minds with a sheepish grin.
 
“Hm, heh…so…anyone up for another practice session?”
 
~~~***~~~
 
To be wordy…or not…(06-01-06):
 
Wow, I am so unbelievably sorry…to my reviewers and readers! It's been one wild ride thus far! I've been so out of it…stress with the current work load is not good to the creative senses. It really burned me…I hardly had any inclination to write anything. And unfortunately my job is getting even more stressful with this major project in the works. It'll be like this until the end of June for sure! Joy…
 
Anyway, thank you for being patient with me! I'm fine for now and geared up to release this chap! My beloved editor Seiren has worked so well with the sidefics…my caps off to her and her diligent fingers! You are such a great help…thank you so much! We'll now be tackling the official editing of SOS. EGADS!! I'm sure many are saying `about time'! I don't blame you…it's long overdue!
 
Okay, this chapter release really had me stumped, but only because I couldn't find a way to start off and proceed. Heh, I hope I did okay. We'll see… Basically, it's a `screenshot' of the daily going-ons at the dojo with Yuki there. We also see further character developments all around, especially with the OCs. More info is supplied on Tetsuya…hopefully you caught on that Yunosuke is his little bro!
 
Another OC is coming, again only to move the story along. Also, in most older, traditional families, having high ranking influential members amongst them is expected. Thus Master Haji is here! He'll be my male version of Hamada-san, with some additional eccentricities. Hey, he's old! Really old. It'll be lots of fun to bring Kyo and him together later on!
 
Lesson for you: kendo and jaido are completely separate art forms. Kendo is likened to that of fencing with a style all its own. It's what most manga readers are most familiar with since most high schoolers in Japan have the option of studying it as a sport. As for jaido, that's a whole different level. Instead of wooden swords (shinai) used in kendo, jaido uses the real thing! Not for attacking each other, of course, but for the sheer mental and physical discipline required to practice this art form. It is very difficult since it requires the student to draw from the scabbard (the sheath of the sword) in one swoop and cut diagonally across a target, usually a large stand made of some kind of straw/bamboo. It's all about how you draw from the scabbard, your stance, your cut on the target, that arch in your cutting technique…etc. You can see why it requires a lot of mental and physical discipline to do this. It's very highly revered since it represents the true spirit of ancient samurai warriors. They base their level on degrees from one through ten, your senior title being `dan'. Whew, lots of stuff involved with this…looking it up was tough!
 
In light of this, I wanted the family to have an involvement with these highly popular and revered martial arts besides the usual karate. If one member was into one martial art form, likely others are involved with other forms. So, there you have it. Something new and different and oh so important!
 
Yep, seems like there's history of some sort between Kagura and Tetsuya. It's a twist of mine that I hope you'll like. Don't worry though…the mystery won't stay as such for long since the gala is just around the corner!
 
If you've read Sometimes…, then you can understand more clearly the situation with Akito and Kagura. If not, I'd recommend it, if only the last chapter of the mini-fic. It has quite a bit of Yuki/Kagura/Akito moment in that chapter.
 
Musical moments here? Don't be shocked… “Paint It Black” by Rolling Stones or GOB (remixed) is good enough. It's lyrics have nothing to do with this chapter, but it does bring a sense of turmoil, more or less. Heh, if nothing else, it's a good listen! Come to think of it, I think I may have already used this one…hm…oh well!
 
Thanks again to all for reading and for those reviewing. All your words are drops of water on my thirsty soul to finish this fic! It can be done…barely. It will be done…barely…
 
Heh, take care all and pleasant dreams (it's one a.m. here)! TTFN! Ja ne!