Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ To be Forgotten ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Be Forgotten by Yasu-san

Chapter 4


Tohru woke up on Thursday morning (A/N: The last time it was Tuesday and Wednesday has nothing to do with the plot *sweat drop*…On with the story).

“Oh! Today is the high school reunion!” Tohru exclaimed. She was so excited to see all the people she went to school with. She hadn’t seen them in such a long time after all. Tohru got up and got dressed. The reunion didn’t start until 13:00 so Tohru decided to visit her mother’s grave.

Tohru walked along the street silently reprimanding herself. It had been so long since she had visited her okaa-san.

‘Gomen okaa-san. I should have made special visits to see you.’ Tohru looked down at her feet feeling very guilty of not seeing her mother even once. It’s like she completely forgot about Japan. Her home. ‘But now I promise that I will see you every year. It may not be very often but I will visit you okaa-san. Please forgive me.’ With this thought in mind Tohru hurried to the graveyard. She didn’t want her mother to have to wait any longer.

Tohru went up to the grave and cleared off the few leaves that were on it. Surprisingly it seemed that the grave wasn’t very dirty. Tohru wondered if someone cleaned all the graves that seemed to have no family. She had brought flowers and placed them neatly on the grave. Then Tohru kneeled down and prayed.

‘Okaa-san. It feels so nice to talk to you again. Gomen nasaii. I never visited you. But I will now. But that’s not what I wanted to talk to you about. Ever since I graduated high school, life has been great! I’m here because of the dental firm I work for. They let me have a vacation. They all said I needed it. I just hope that the office isn’t swamped with out me there…’ Tohru continued to talk to her mom until it was 12:25.

“Oh! It’s already 12:25! Gomen nasaii okaa-san. But I have to go to Uo’s. There’s a reunion at our high school and I can’t wait to see all the people I went to school with! Ja ne!” Tohru said and left. She headed towards Uo’s house.

Once she got there it was 12:40. The three left and headed toward their old school and old memories.

The three arrived and there were a lot of people there. They entered the school and roamed through the halls and chatted with many people that had been their classmates. Then Hana picked up waves on the Yuki fan girls.

“Their over there.” Hana stated and the fan girls walked around the corner.

“Who are you talking about?” Tohru asked.

“Those Prince Yuki fan girls. They always caused you trouble. Don’t you remember them?” Uo asked.

Tohru thought and did remember that they had always picked on her. “Yes. I remember now.” Tohru said. She didn’t tell them that she still couldn’t remember who this “Prince Yuki” guy was though. She just smiled and hoped that she would bump into him eventually.

They had been there for a few hours and they still didn’t see “Orange- top” or “Prince Yuki”.

“Man! They have to be here! Where are they?!” Uo was getting mad. She had hoped to see them. They had a friendship before. An awkward one, but still a friendship.

“Arisa, they don’t have to be here. They may choose not to come.” Hana said.

“That Kyo better be here or else I’m going to have to break something!” Uo stated.

“Ano…It’s okay if they didn’t come.” Tohru still didn’t remember them. Uo and Hana didn’t know this though. They thought she remembered eventually.

A few more hours passed and they were still no where to be found.

“Well. I’m sorry we didn’t get to see them but I think I’m going to go.” Tohru said. She was getting a little tired.

“Ah, fine. I wish we could have seen them.” Uo said. She was too tired to be angry.

“Yes. It would have been most pleasant.” Hana agreed.

“Well, good bye.” Tohru waved and walked through the halls towards the front door. She was a little tired and happened to yawn. This caused her to close her eyes and being Tohru she continued to walk until an unbalanced, external force caused her to stop. This force happened to a man. A purpled hair man. He watched he until the last minute hoping she would turn slightly. Unfortunately she did not and he was forced to grab her before she collided into him.

“Huh?” Tohru looked up and saw that she had ran into a man.

“I’m so sorry. I should have been watching.” Tohru started to apologize when the man spoke.

“Have I seen you before?” He questioned.

“Ano…” Tohru thought. She couldn’t remember this man. She hadn’t met many/ if at all any men that had PURPLE hair. Then she remembered. She had run into a man on Monday. He had had purple hair.

“Oh! I ran into you on Monday.” Tohru blurted out. “Oh! I’m sorry. I just keep bothering you.”

“It’s fine.” He smiled politely. Tohru started blushing again. ‘Oh. Stop blushing. It’s just somebody you don’t know!’ She thought to herself.

“I think I’ve seen you before then though.” The man said. Tohru noticed that the hallway didn’t have anybody in it. It seemed unusually quiet with just the two of them. Most of the people must have gone home.

“Ano. Well, we went to the same high school.” Tohru said. (A/N: No, really Tohru) “You do seem a little familiar to me too.” Something inside Tohru was trying to escape. Trying to come out from long ago. She just couldn’t remember what it was. It was a memory she knew, but what had she forgotten? “What’s your name? Maybe that will help.” Tohru said.

“Yuki Sohma.” Then a floodgate opened. The dam broke. The lock was finally picked and open. What ever more puns you can think of. A flood of memories washed over Tohru. Yuki Sohma. Kyo Sohma. Shigure Sohma. Kagura Sohma. Momiji Sohma. Hatori Sohma. Hatsuharu Sohma. Ayame Sohma. Kisa Sohma. Hiro Sohma. Ritsu Sohma. Rin Sohma. Kureno Sohma. The beach house. White day. Chocolates for all of them. Yuki handing her White Day ribbons. YELLOW ribbons. All these memories and much more washed over Tohru in a split second. So much that her conscious self couldn’t handle it and she immediately started to faint.

* * * * * * * *

“Uhh…”She said as she fell forward. Yuki caught her but out of total surprise.

“Um, Miss? Are you okay? Um…Wake up.” He didn’t know what to do. All he could think was that she needed to lie down. His house! It wasn’t too far away. He put his arm around her waist and started to carry/ drag her to his house. He held her close but far enough away so that the curse wasn’t triggered. That’s all she needs right now. She faints, wakes up, then finds out I’m a freak, then faints again. Yuki thought.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his keys. He opened the door and carefully placed her on the couch. He stood back and looked at her. She was awfully pretty.

‘I have seen her before. But where?’ Yuki thought. Then he realized that he had an unconscious stranger in his house. What was he supposed to do?!

“Um.” Yuki brilliantly said. He decided to get a cool cloth and placed it on her forehead. Then he made her some herbal tea for when she woke up. He also placed a light blanket over her.

Yuki sat down at the low table and looked across it and watched her. She really was very pretty. She looked kind, happy, and full of spirit. He smiled and then reprimanded himself. He didn’t even know her! Yuki looked away from the sleeping form. He looked down at the kitchen table. The photo he had showed Shigure was on the table. He looked at the women on his couch. Was that the same person?

‘It can’t be.’ Yuki thought. He got up and put the photo next to the women’s face. ‘It is her.’ Yuki felt very excited. He had found her! Well she kind of found him, but she was here! Now what was her name? Yuki slapped himself. He hadn’t even asked her name. (A/N: Look at the back of the photo!)

‘Well, I’ll have to wait. I’ve been waiting for 10 years so what’s a little while longer.’ With that Yuki sat at the table and watched her until he drifted off to sleep. (A/N:*sigh*)

* * * * * * * *

Tohru snapped open her eyes. She was blinded by the light and quickly shut her eyes tight. When she dared to open them again she was very cautious. She slowly adjusted to the light and looked around her. She didn’t know where she was. She certainly wasn’t in her hotel room. She tried to remember where she had been last when her eyes settled on a purple haired man sleeping at a low table. Then she remembered that she had gone to the reunion at her high school and had bumped into him. Tohru continued to look at him. She gasped. It was Yuki!

‘That’s right! He said his name and then I remembered. I remember Hatori erasing my memories! I remember it all!’ Tohru thought. Then she smiled. So this is what Yuki looks like as an adult. He was even more handsome as an adult. Then she promptly started to blush. He was her friend! She couldn’t think of him like that!

Tohru got off the couch and noticed that he had placed a blanket over her. She took it off the couch and draped it over his shoulders. She didn’t think that position was very comfortable but she thought it would be rude to wake him.

Tohru ventured into the kitchen. She didn’t think it was too forward of her to make some tea. They were friends since high school. She put the tea kettle on the stove and started to take down two tea cups.

Tohru smiled as she did this. She always liked to see Yuki asleep. It made her feel like he was comfortable enough around her to fall asleep in front of her. She also liked to see his hair mussed up from sleep. She liked to see it at odd angles. It let her see a side of Yuki that not many people were able to see. Then she remembered that it had been 10 years since they had talked. She hadn’t been able to see him like this in such a long time. It felt very nice to pick up old memories. She would keep up with these memories now though. She wouldn’t let them be pulled away from her this time. Now that Tohru had recently remembered him she thought it felt a little weird. Last night she couldn’t remember him but when she thought back to it she couldn’t see how she couldn’t remember him. Tohru laughed a little at this.


* * * * * * * *

Yuki slowly opened his eyes. He looked over at the couch. She was gone! He abruptly stood up; the blanket fell off his shoulders.

‘She must still be her. She wouldn’t have covered me with blanket if she left.’ Yuki thought.

“Miss?” Yuki looked around.

“Oh! You’re awake.” Tohru came in from the kitchen. They looked at each other after that. They didn’t know what to say.

“It’s very good to see you Yuki. Especially after all these years.” Tohru smiled. She was very happy that she finally remembered. She wanted to go up to him and hug him but she remembered the curse.

“Who are you?” He asked.

“What?…You don’t remember?” Tohru looked at him.

“I have a photo of you.” Yuki picked up the picture. “You were close to the Sohma family, weren’t you?” He asked.

“Yuki. It’s me. Tohru.” Tohru stepped forward.

“Tohru…That sounds familiar…” That’s all he said.

Tohru felt tears well up in her eyes. Why didn’t he remember?

“You really don’t remember. Has it been that long?” The tears started to fall. Why did she have to go and make Akito angry with her and have Hatori erase her memories. Now she had been away so long that Yuki didn’t even remember her.

“Please don’t cry.” Yuki stepped forward and wiped away her tears. ‘Why did I just do that?! I don’t even remember her!’ He stepped back and looked at her. “It has been awhile but my memories were erased. I think they were about you.” Yuki said.

Tohru felt a little better. At least he would have remembered her if his memories weren’t gone. “But why?”

“I’ve been trying to figure that out too.” Yuki said.

“Yuki. I’m so sorry.” Tohru wondered why she was apologizing so much. It must have been with the return of her memories.

“It’s not your fault. But if you want answers like I do I think I know where we can get them.” Yuki said.

“Where?”

“Shigure’s house.”

* * * * * * * *

They walked in silence while they went to Shigure’s house.

“How is Shigure-san?” Tohru asked. She felt uneasy with all the silence.

“He’s fine, thought I do feel sorry for him. Ever since Kyo and I moved out he’s been all alone. I think he feels lonely with nobody in that big house now.” Yuki said.

“Oh…” Tohru started to feel a little said at this. She certainly would feel lonely if she used to have three teenagers in her house and then they moved out. With such a big house it must feel lonely.

‘I wonder if Shigure-san will be happy to see me.’ Tohru thought. She did leave them when they all had depended on her to never betray them. Maybe she could make up for that by being there for them now.

* * * * * * * *

Yuki felt awkward walking with this women. Though strangely he also liked it. He could tell that his unconscious self remembered this women but his conscious self couldn’t.

‘She remembers me. Why can’t I remember her? This women has to be the person in the photo if she talks like we’ve been friends for a long time.’ This still baffled Yuki. Why couldn’t he remember? It was very annoying. Knowing that you forgot something but you don’t know what you forgot.

‘Hopefully Shigure will help us with this matter. If she was as close as I’m assuming Shigure may answer her and in return answer me.’ Yuki thought. If they were friends he really wanted to remember.

‘Why? Right now I don’t know her. But I feel like something connected us. I feel like I’m being drawn to her.’ This feeling just confused Yuki even more so he decided to stop thinking about that now. Everything would be made clear once they got to Shigure’s house. Or at least Yuki hoped everything would be smoothed out.

They arrived at Shigure’s house and Yuki knocked on the door.

“Come in. It’s open.” Shigure shouted from inside the house. They stepped in and removed their shoes. Yuki walked into the living room where Shigure was seated at the low table with a laptop in front of him.

“Ah! Yuki. I’m just finishing the last touches on my new book. Mii-chan wants in a month so I had to finish it before the date. Just to play around with her.” Shigure smile mischievously.

“Shigure, I brought someone here to see you. We want answers. Now…” Yuki stated from the doorway.

“We?” Shigure looked up from the laptop screen and saw Tohru enter the room.

“Tohru-kun? But how?” Was all he could say.

“Hello Shigure-san.” Tohru said. She looked him over carefully. He seemed thin to her. He also looked like he hadn’t been getting enough sleep.

“You were dead.” Shigure said. He was stunned. Akito had brought the paper. They had all seen her name.

“What?” Tohru asked. She certainly wasn’t dead. Or was ever dead.

“We heard you were bound for America but your plane crashed. We searched for your name and Akito brought us a paper and you were there. In the obituary section.” Shigure was still stunned. Tohru just looked at him.

“It must have been fake. He thought he could keep you away from us. To tear apart what you had built…Tohru-kun. Do you remember?” Shigure asked. Tohru nodded. “Ha ha!” Shigure started laughing. Yuki and Tohru just looked at him.

‘He finally snapped.’ Yuki thought (A/N: That’s real nice, Yuki.)

“Take that Akito.” Shigure’s laughter died down. ‘You can’t keep us away from her!’

“So you remember too Yuki.” Shigure said.

“No. I don’t. That’s one of the reasons why we came.” Yuki sat down across from Shigure and Tohru followed suit.

“Hm. That is interesting.” Shigure rested his elbows on the table and clasped his hands together. “Now why would that be?” Shigure asked nobody in particular.

“Why were my memories erased Shigure?” Yuki asked. He stared at him; his face set in stone.

“I suppose I can tell you know that Tohru is back.” Shigure smiled at Tohru. “When Tohru’s memories were erased you went into a deep depression. You wouldn’t show it but we could tell. We tried to ignore it , hoping it would pass like Kyo-kun’s did. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case. You would force yourself to smile and eat but your body rejected it. You became severely sick. Because your heart had broken when Tohru left. Kyo-kun also was sad but he grew out of it. By other means.” Shigure and Yuki stared at each other. Silent words were passed between the two before Shigure continued. “You were so sick that Akito ordered Hatori to erase your memories of Tohru. Hatori wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t for your failing health.” Shigure finished. The three adults sat in silence. Tohru looked at her hands. This was all her fault. She was going to fix it.

“But why was Akito-san angry with me?” Tohru asked. Determination burned in her eyes.

“No one knows Tohru-kun. Akito is a very unique person.” Shigure answered. “But let us think of other things. For example: Why hasn’t Yuki-kun remembered anything?” Shigure and Tohru turned to look at Yuki.

“My name triggered Tohru-san’s memories. What could trigger mine?” Yuki thought aloud.

Tohru couldn’t suppress a smile. Yuki-kun finally said my first name. I guess that’s only because he doesn’t remember my last name but still…’ Tohru thought.

Shigure left the room for a few moments. Yuki and Tohru stared after him. After a few minutes he came back with large box that he set on the table and sat back down.

“This box contains many things about Tohru-kun before she left.” Shigure said. Yuki and Tohru flinched. For some reason that sounded slightly perverted. Shigure pulled out some photos.

“These were taken at the Sohma summer house.” Shigure said and handed them to Yuki.

* * * * * * * *

Many hours passed and the box became empty but Yuki still didn’t remember.

“Come on!” Yuki shouted and threw down Tohru’s old apron. Tohru touched Yuki’s shoulder. What could help him remember? Then Tohru had an idea.

“I know!” Tohru fished around in her purse for a while. “I know it’s in here. You gave me these for White Day… Found it!” She pulled out something hidden in her hand and started to mess with her hair. When she pulled her hands away Yuki saw a yellow ribbon in her hair. Yuki’s eyes widened.

The yellow ribbon from his dreams. Those chocolate eyes. Everything came to him at once. He clutched his head and rested his elbows on the table. (A/N: He’s stronger than Tohru so he didn’t faint. Pass out if you want it to sound more manly. ^.^)

“Yuki-kun?” Tohru bent closer to Yuki with a worried face on. Yuki looked up and smiled.

“Honda-san.” He said.

“Yuki-kun!” Tohru exclaimed and hugged Yuki.

The familiar tingle washed over Yuki and then there was a loud POOF! Once the smoke cleared Tohru was holding a gray rat.

“Yuki-kun! How dare you cheat on my housewife!” Shigure mocked and faked utter horror.

“I’m sorry. But I’m so happy!” Tohru said.

“I am too Honda-san.” Yuki said. He remembered. He had defeated Akito!

‘I will get you Akito. For scaring Honda-san and making her worry. You can’t keep us apart!’ Yuki thought.

‘Why do I feel so light? What is this feeling that fills my heart?’ Yuki thought.

“I’m so happy!” Tohru hugged Yuki a little harder (A/N: Don’t kill him!). She couldn’t say it enough! She was a little disappointed because he stopped saying her first name but at least Yuki-kun was back! She was so happy to have her old relationships back! But Tohru also felt something else.

‘Why do I feel so full of happiness that doesn‘t involve Yuki remembering? What is this feeling that fills me and makes my heart jump?’ Tohru thought.

Neither one could answer this question. Neither one knew what was to happen.


* * * * * * * *




You readers are lucky. I was going to make this a cliff hanger but I didn’t. I’m so nice! Okay it is kind of a cliff hanger but I was going to wait for Yuki to remember next chapter but I didn’t! I’m so nice! Oh I’m so happy! Thank you for all the reviews! I read each one and they make me want to jump for joy! I’m so glade that you all like this. And just for you menzu2 I made this one extra long! *Dances* Thank you so much for all your support. I’m so happy. I can’t believe people actually like my stories! I always dreamed of being an author but I never thought any of my ideas were good enough but I LOVE Fruits Basket. You all can probably see that I’m a little obsessed *he he* But thank you Natsuki Takaya for writing Fruits Basket. Now I write all my ideas for anime/manga and other things. But now I can see that I may be a little better than what I thought. So thank you all who read this fic! You all make me feel so special! Stay Happy!

Yasu-san

P.S. If anybody knows how to say “Your welcome” in Japanese please tell me. I know this is random but my friend I were wondering… Also sorry if this seemed a little rushed. I got a little tired of writing and when ever my “Creative Spirit” started flaring my mom wanted to take me to different places. Curses! …Stay Happy! ^.^