Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ To be Forgotten ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
To be Forgotten By Yasu-san


Chapter 5


Hatori walked out of the main house and to his own house. He stepped in side and sat at his chair in his office and held his head in hands. Did Akito know? He couldn’t tell. Not very often was Hatori able to know what Akito was thinking. And few people could tell at all. Had he given away the secret of Tohru? Hatori looked at the work he was supposed to b doing. He decided that it could wait until tomorrow and went to bed.

* * * * * * * *

Akito was angry. He didn’t enjoy being angry…often…so he decided to cheer himself up. He opened the door leading to his garden and stepped outside. He walked a little while until he arrived at a certain building. He stepped inside through the side door with the lock that only he knew the combination to. Akito steeped inside the small, dark room.

“Hello.” He said. Making his voice sound as cold as it possibly could. A black figure inside noticeably flinched. Akito smiled.

“It has been awhile since I visited you. I’m sorry. Kyo.”

Kyo didn’t even turn around. There was no point.

* * * * * * * *

Eventually Tohru set Yuki down and he transformed back into his human self with a loud POOF. He put his clothes on quickly and sat back at Shigure’s low table.

“Well now that that’s cleared up, you remember don’t you Yuki?” Shigure asked. He didn’t need to explain what. Yuki remembered everything. Shigure was talking about when Yuki was sick…deathly sick…Yuki looked down at the table. He remembered lying there, not being able to move, being to weak to even turn his head. He also remembered when Hatori erased his memories. Akito holding him, telling him everything would be fine once he remembered. Then Hatori covered his eyes. Yuki was crying saying he didn’t want to forget her. Then a bright flash of light and everything went dark. Yuki looked back at Tohru. How could he have forgotten that sweet smile, that angelic face, those warm eyes? But at least he remembered now. But he didn’t remember for Tohru. He had only wanted to remember for his own selfish reasons.

“Yes…I remember.” Yuki said.

“Are you alright?” Shigure asked.

“Better than ever.” Yuki looked straight at Shigure.

“Now that’s the old Yuki.” Shigure smiled. In all honesty he didn’t want Yuki to remember. He loved his younger cousin and didn’t want him to be hurt again. But he seemed fine. Not depressed at least.

“Now. What do we do about Akito?” Shigure asked.

All three looked down at the table. Akito was going to find out sooner or later. What were they going to do when he did find out? Would he have her memories erased again?

“Would he have my memories erased again?” Tohru asked what they had all been thinking.

“I don’t think so.” Shigure said. “He knows what could happen to Yuki again. Since you’re the Rat I doubt he would want that to happen to you again. Before he didn’t think that would happen.” Shigure explained.


“I think you should stay with Yuki the remainder of your visit.” Shigure said.

“Oh, but I have a hotel that I’m staying in. I don’t need a place to stay.” Tohru said. She was slightly surprised at the sudden change of subject.

“To be on the safe side.” Shigure said. “And you shouldn’t have to spend your money on a hotel when you have old friends.” Shigure smiled.

‘Why didn’t he offer her to stay with him, him being the pervert he is?’ Yuki asked himself. ‘He knows he can’t protect Tohru, that’s why.’ Yuki decided. Shigure couldn’t fight his way out of a paper bag much less protect Tohru. His protection involved manipulation and bending ones mind. When it came to physical contact Shigure somewhat lacked strength.

“I agree.” Yuki said. He would protect her with his own life. ‘Why? Why do I feel so confident about that?’ Yuki was slightly confused at the moment but who wasn’t. He shrugged it off.

“Well then I guess I better check out of the hotel.” Tohru said. She started to rise.

“Yes.” Yuki said. He got up with her and they left Shigure’s house. Shigure smiled after them. ‘They say they remember, but I wonder if they remember what happened between them.’ Shigure thought. If they didn’t realize it now they would eventually.

* * * * * * * *

Yuki and Tohru walked into Yuki’s small house. They had gone to the hotel and checked Tohru out and Yuki was carrying Tohru’s small suitcase of belongings.

“You can sleep in this room.” Yuki lead her to a room. “I think it’s supposed to be a library but I don’t use it. I can put the spare futon in here though.” Yuki set down her suitcase as Tohru went to the window and looked out it. The window looked out into the back yard where Tohru could see Yuki had a small vegetable garden just like at Shigure’s house.

“Oh. You still have a vegetable garden.” Tohru said. She smiled at the sight. Tohru turned away from the window and looked at Yuki. He was slightly blushing.

“Thank you for letting me stay wit you. You really didn’t need to do this.” Tohru said.

“It’s fine. I’d feel better if you were closer.” Yuki said. Then he realized how that might have sounded. “I mean I would feel better if I knew you were close t safety. You’ll be safe here. I’m right across the hall.” Yuki said indicating his room.

Tohru smiled. “To thank you I could make us some dinner.” Tohru said. She headed for the kitchen. When she opened the cupboards she saw many packages of instant ramen. “You don’t seriously live on this stuff do you?” Tohru asked taking out a package and reading the label.

“Umm…” Yuki didn’t know what to say. He didn’t really know how to cook. All he knew was how not to burn down the kitchen. Plus it was just quicker to pour the contents into boiling water.

“This has no nutritional value at all!” Tohru exclaimed. She looked at Yuki while he tried not to make eye contact with her. “Well, I’ll have to go shopping.” Tohru said. She started toward the door.

“You don’t need to do that-” Yuki started to say.

“I can’t let you live on this.” Tohru said. With that she went outside to go shopping for some real food.

Yuki sighed. He looked at the package of dried noodles. “I find these very good.” Yuki said. He put it back into the cupboard and went to set up Tohru’s room.

* * * * * * * *

“I don’t know how people can live on that stuff.” Tohru thought aloud. ‘He reminds me of Hatori. I wonder what Shigure eats. I’ll have to make something for him sometime too.’ With this thought Tohru went into the store and bought all the necessary food. She also bought herself an apron. She hadn’t expected to cook while she visited Japan but she wasn’t disappointed with this. She really did enjoy cooking. Just the thought of making something that would help her loved ones go on made her feel good. Tohru never thought she could do much but she was happy that she could feed people and make them happy with her good cooking.

Tohru walked back to Yuki’s house and took off her shoes before she entered.

“I’m back.” Tohru called as she entered the house.

“You really didn’t have to go out.” Yuki said. He felt a little bad that he had forced her to and by things so they could eat.

“It was no trouble. It reminded me of old times.” Tohru smiled and went into the kitchen and unloaded all that she had bought.

“I was going to make sukiyaki tonight.” Tohru said. “Is that okay?”

“Of course. I remember your cooking. I can’t wait.” Yuki replied. “I set up your room while you were gone.” Yuki said.

“Oh! Thank you for that and for letting me stay here. It’s been awhile since we lived together, hasn’t it?” Tohru started to put some water in a pot for the rice.

“It has been while.” Yuki said. ‘It’s been too long since we’ve seen each other.’ Yuki thought. He still didn’t know how somebody could forget a person they had known for so long. It still amazed him.

“Yuki-kun?” Tohru asked.

“Oh. Sorry…I was just thinking.” Yuki said.

“Are you sure you feel alright?” (A/N: He’s fine Tohru!)

“Hai.” Yuki said.

Tohru went back to cooking and Yuki went into his room and sat at his desk. (A/N: I know that sounds childish but the house is kind of small. There’s no where else to put his desk).

* * * * * * * *

“Hmm. You aren’t fun anymore.” Akito said and left.

‘Like I care if it’s fun to torture me.’ Kyo thought. He sighed. How long could he live like this? Was he even living? Kyo looked down at the ground. Before, when he was in high school, if you asked him what he was afraid of he would say nothing. But inside he was afraid of hurting someone he cared about and his confinement. But he was only afraid of the idea of being confined. No he knew exactly what he was afraid of. And he lived it every day. He was living. But not existing. It was like he was behind a wall. Watching the world go around him but he could do nothing about it. Because he was the Cat.

Kyo slammed his fist against the ground. Why was he the Cat? Why? He had done nothing to deserve what was happening to him. But there was nothing he could do. He was the Cat and that was it. There was no hope. For anything.

* * * * * * * *

“Yuki-kun?” Tohru asked. This had been on her mind for awhile.

“Yes.” Yuki looked across the low table. They were eating dinner and had been talking.

“Ano…Where is Kyo-kun? I’d like to see him. I didn’t get to see him at the reunion.” Tohru said. She had indeed been missing Kyo. They hadn’t seen each other in a long time too.

“Ano…Honda-san…I don’t…He…I think it would be better if you didn’t know…” Yuki trailed off. Why did she have to ask about him? He may be the Rat and hate Kyo but he still couldn’t look at Kyo. Watch as the life was being sucked out of him because of Akito.

“I don’t understand.” Tohru said and slightly tilted her head out of confusion. “Does he live on his own?” Tohru asked. Why couldn’t Yuki just tell her?

“You could say that. But…Honda-san…Did you ever know what would happen to Kyo after graduation?” Yuki asked. He sort of hoped she did know. He didn’t want to have to explain it to her.

“No.” Yuki flinched. Of course she wouldn’t know. Kyo would have kept it from her. He sighed. “Do you remember when Kyo was always trying to beat me?”

“Yes…” Tohru answered.

“He was doing that, well because he hated me, but also because of a…an agreement that he made with Akito. When Kyo was to graduate from high school he would be secluded and confined. With only the company of Akito.” Yuki let that soak in for Tohru.

Tohru shuddered. That was horrible. Tears sprang at the corners of her eyes. That was just plain cruel! How could someone do that to a person?! But she didn’t say anything. She knew Yuki had more to say and let him continue.

Yuki went on, “Kyo agreed that if he could beat me he would have been able to join the zodiac and would have been free. If he lost…he would have to be confined after graduation.” Yuki looked down. “He never beat me.” Yuki said. He still felt guilty. Kyo was confined because of him. If he had let him win he wouldn’t be confined. But back then he was to proud to let Kyo beat him. He didn’t want to look like a fool. If Kyo found out anyway he would want a rematch and force Yuki to not hold back. Even with this logic Yuki couldn’t help but feel that Kyo’s confinement could have been prevented by him.

Yuki heard a sob and looked up. Tears were streaming down Tohru’s face. “I didn’t even know.” Tohru said round her crying. “Why didn’t I see it? I asked him what he wanted to do when he was out of high school and he always said that he wasn’t sure. Now I see that he just didn’t want to tell me what would happen. Maybe I could have done something.” Tohru started to cry harder at this. She felt so useless. She had said that she wanted to help protect the Sohma family but she had failed and let them down.

“It’s not your fault. There was nothing you could have done. If anyone could have helped him it would have been me. I could have let him win. I was too afraid that people would mock me because the Rat had lost to the Cat.” Yuki said. He tried to reassure her but it didn’t seem to be working.

“Can I see him?” Tohru asked. If she could just see him then maybe he would be a little happier that she remembered him.

Yuki thought about this. It wasn’t wise to take her to the main house compound. If Akito found out all hell would brake loose. He couldn’t even imagine what he would do to Tohru.

“I can’t put you in danger like that.” Yuki said. “It would be too much of a risk to take you to the compound. That’s where Kyo is.” Yuki explained.

Tohru was thinking. She had stopped crying. “What if I was disguised and we would extra caution. I don’t need to stay for long. If I could just get a glimpse of him that would be enough.” Tohru pleaded.

“We’ll go tonight.” Yuki said. Darkness would be on their side. But he agreed grudgingly. Why did he feel that he wanted to keep Tohru away from Kyo and to himself? It was probably just the idea of Tohru being so close to Akito.

Tohru was so happy. She could see Kyo! Maybe she could repair their friendship. She knew Akito wouldn’t like her communicating with the zodiac members and she knew she was being selfish. She could potentially be putting Yuki and Kyo into danger, but she just had to see him. She didn’t know why but she just had to.

* * * * * * * *

Kyo looked out the bars of his prison and at the setting sun. ‘If only Tohru could remember.’ He thought to himself. But there was no chance of that happening. Even though he knew that there was no way for this to happen he felt a strong desire to see her. ‘Why can’t you be here? Why did you have to forget everything?’ Kyo asked himself.

“Kyo-kun?” Had he heard his name? Kyo turned around and looked into two chocolate eyes.

“Tohru?”

* * * * * * * *


I’m so sorry for those who have been waiting for Kyo to appear in this fic. I had planned to let him come up in one of the later chapters. I didn’t realize that so much has happened with out him! I’m sorry! I had him in this chapter to begin with but when misunderstood-orchid from fanfiction.net reviewed saying to bring him into the story I made this chapter have more of him. (If you haven’t guessed I’m kind of winging it right now. I have plans and ideas, I just have to write the part that leads up to what I have thought of first *sweat drop* that’s the part that’s hard to write). There’s not much with him in this chapter but there’s a lot more in the next chapter. I’m sorry but you’ll just have to wait. Also if your wondering about the water in the pot for the rice that’s a way to make rice instead of using a rice cooker (2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice). I’m not trying to sound snotty so please don’t think that’s what I’m doing. I just saw it and realized that most people use rice cookers. In my opinion the pot is better but that’s probably just me. *sweat drop*. I do plan to finish this fic so no worries of it being abandoned. I’ve seen how many people like this fic and makes me so happy thank you to all that have read and reviewed for this fic! It makes me feel so happy when I see reviews. Even one will be praised over! *bows* I’m also happy that you all are enjoying this. I always thought that I wasn’t very good at writing when people told me I was. Now I see that I’m better than what I thought! Stay Happy! ^.^

Yasu-san
P.S. Sorry the author squawk is so long. I just have so much to be thankful for! Stay Happy! And Be Safe^.^