Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ To be Forgotten ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
*Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket. Fruits Basket was created by and belongs to Natsuki Takya

* =see end of chapter

To Be Forgotten By Yasu-san

Chapter 6

That night Yuki and Tohru left Yuki’s house. They decided to wear dark clothes. Black on black was nearly invisible but Toru didn’t own any black so they had to settle on navy blue. (A/N: She doesn’t like dark colors. The navy blue was a gift.)

They walked to the Sohma compound. It was strange being on the streets so late at night. There was hardly anybody else. The two walked silently together. They didn’t trust to talk as if Akito could hear them from so far away. Once they reached the compound Yuki unlocked the gate with a spare key he had since he was a favorite of Akito. They crept along the sides of the compound staying in the shadows of trees and bushes. Luckily it seemed like nobody was up.

Yuki lead Tohru up to the small building with bars over the windows. Tohru started to choke up as they drew nearer. She could have prevented this. If only she hadn’t forgotten she might have been able to save Kyo. But why did Akito decide to erase her memories? They had lived together for nearly three years and he decides to put a stop to it at random? That seemed a little strange to Tohru. Yuki stopped and crouched behind some bushes while Tohru filed behind him. He looked back at Tohru. Tohru understood. She should talk to him first. She passed in front of Yuki and went a little closer to the bars of the closest window and called out Kyo’s name softly.

“Kyo-kun?” She saw the flaming head turn around and those same fiery eyes widen with surprise. It may have been dark but nothing could dim the brightness of Kyo’s appearance.

“Tohru?” He asked.

“Oh Kyo-kun!” Tohru rushed forward against the grate and reached in to hold Kyo’s hand. She would have tried to hug him but the transformation would have given them away. “I’m so sorry.” Tohru said and tears welled up in her eyes. Did he think she betrayed him?

“Tohru…but how-?”

“I went to our high school reunion and Yuki was there. When he said his name everything came back.” Tohru said. Kyo shook his head. She had misunderstood him. He wanted to ask how she was alive. She had been dead. He saw her name in the newspaper.

“But…your plane crashed…everyone died on board. Your picture…in the newspaper…” Then Yuki stepped forward.

“Akito had made a fake paper. To trick us so we would think Honda-san was dead.” Yuki explained. Kyo nodded unconsciously. Kyo wasn’t surprised that Yuki had come. He knew Yuki wouldn’t let Tohru go out alone…incase of Akito. Kyo was still shocked. After having believed that your love was gone forever and to have them suddenly come back was an awesome event. But he hid it. He didn’t want anyone to see him display emotions. He wasn’t that kind of guy to show publicly what he felt. As much as he tried to hold back his emotions he could not suppress the tears that welled up in his eyes. She was back!

“Kyo-kun? I’m sorry. If I had remembered then maybe I could have done something to help you and you wouldn’t be…in this situation.” Tohru was so upset that the tears were starting to fall now.

“There was nothing you could do. This is the fate of the Cat. I’ll just have to live with it.” Kyo looked down. “So stop crying.” (A/N: Ha! Tears always get him!)

“Okay.” Tohru said as she dried her tears on her sleeve. She still clung to his hand. It was a comfort to hold onto him. This way she knew she couldn’t be taken away from him like before. She didn’t want to leave him again. Not after what she had done already. He must hate her.

“Kyo-kun…Could you ever forgive me? I’ll understand if you’re mad-”

“Mad about what?” She couldn’t possibly blame herself.

“About forgetting and leaving you.” Tohru said in a small voice. Of course she blamed herself…

“Honda-san. Nothing is your fault. You couldn’t prevent what happened.” Yuki said calmly. Tohru still wasn’t so sure. Her natural self kept blaming it on her.

“Yea. You didn’t do anything so stop blaming yourself. You remember now. That’s all that’s important.” Kyo said. (A/N: That sounded a little more like Yuki *sweat drop*). ‘Wow that was deep! Sounded like something Yuki would say…’ Kyo thought to himself. (A/N: I already said that to the readers!)

Tohru smiled. They would forget the past. What was done was done. She would make the future better.

“I’m so happy to finally see you!” Tohru said to Kyo. She couldn’t contain her happiness! After so long, bonds had been broken but just as fast as they were separated, they weaving together again.

“Wait.” Kyo looked up at Yuki. “So you remember too, huh?”

Yuki nodded.

“I knew Akito couldn’t keep it away from you. You started to let me down when you still didn’t remember. Damn Rat. Fooling me.” Kyo smiled. Yuki did too. After Kyo had been locked up the hatred between the two had all but vanished. They could still argue and get on each others nerves, but for the most part they fine with each others presence.

Tohru smiled and yet felt sad inside. ‘They finally can tolerate each other! If only I could have seen it happen though. But at least they don’t fight…well it looks like they can at least not argue every minute over something.’ Tohru thought. It seems that the Rat and the Cat can get along.

“It’s nice to see you two not fight.” Tohru commented.

“Huh?” Yuki and Kyo asked unison.

“Before you two would always fight, or at least argue. I guess you’ve gotten past the old legend.” Tohru looked hopefully at the two.

“Yes. It seems that way.” Yuki replied. “After awhile it just seemed childish to keep the anger that should have been resolved thousands of years ago.”

“Yea. We thought about it and it just seemed stupid to keep it going.” Kyo said. He didn’t mention that even though Yuki forgot Tohru he didn’t. Another reason he stopped hating Yuki was for Tohru. Even though she didn’t remember him he still did that for her.

Kyo was overwhelmed. He couldn’t get over the fact that Tohru was there! He still loved her. He knew he did but seeing her now…he wasn’t going to let her get away from him yet! He may be locked up but it wasn’t fair for Tohru to not know how he felt for her.

“Tohru-” Kyo started to say but suddenly a light was flicked on and yellow glow caught his attention. “A light? Somebody might see you. You have to leave!” Kyo warned.

Tohru looked to the right and noticed a light and figure in front of the light. She tugged lightly on Yuki’s sleeve and pointed. Luckily the window they were at was in shadow. They quickly went back to the bushes.

“We’ll see you some other time Kyo-kun.” Tohru said. With that they hurried off in case they had been seen.

Kyo watched them leave. Once they had left the compound he let his emotions go. He started crying. A cry that held frustration, happiness, and anger in it. ‘Damn you Akito! Why?! Why do you always have to mess with us?! How do you find pleasure in messing with peoples lives?! I never got a chance to tell her how I really feel…But…Tohru’s back. And he doesn’t know. I can tell her now. I won’t let the chance pass me. But I won’t let Him find out. He would just hurt her when she’s done nothing. I have to protect her. But I’m stuck in here…with Him…‘ Kyo shivered at the “Him” ‘Oh well. I will protect her. I have to do everything that I can to keep her safe. I failed last time. I won’t let that happen again.’ With this Kyo cried himself to sleep and dreamt of Tohru that night. He had dreamed this dream before. He would see Tohru and run towards her but every time he came close to touch her she would vanish and he would wake up. But this night he dreamt of holding her and revealing his true feelings to her…and her returning those feelings.

* * * * * * * *

Inside a room a light was flipped on and a figure drew back curtains of a window and looked out into the night. Damn this new medication. Hatori had said it might be hard to fall asleep but he had been up for hours with out so much as a minute of sleep. Curse this sickness of him that all the previous ‘Gods’ had to suffer through. He looked out the window, his dark eyes probing the night. He looked over at a certain building.

“Bakemono…” He said this with hatred dripping from each syllable. “Why don’t you just die?! All the other ‘Cat’s’ died after a year or two. But you…you stay alive why?” Akito pondered over this question when he saw some movement.

“What?” He looked harder. Cursing the medication. It was blurring his vision slightly. He looked over by the gate and noticed a purple flash and a streak of brown above a moving outline of darkness that looked a little like a dark blue. What was that?

“Damn this medication.” It was making him look like an idiot. He turned off the light and gracefully laid on his futon and gazed at the wall thinking about how much time he had left before he died. He should have died a long time ago but his body was playing tricks of it’s own. One day he’d be fine, the next he would have a fever that felt like he was in a pot of boiling water.

“Curse this body of mine. My brilliant mind should not have to be restrained by this little road block.” Akito sighed and resumed his thoughts of how long he had before his inevitable end. At least his Jyuunishi would remain with him until the end. Especially Yuki, the Rat. Yuki…Akito brought the image of Yuki in his mind. Gray hair, pale complexion, purple eyes-. Akito bolted upright, then realized that was a mistake. His head started spinning from getting up too quickly but one thought stayed in his mind. Yuki’s purple eyes. Once the spinning subsided he recalled the flash of purple. Could it have been Yuki’s eyes? Rat eyes appeared to “shine” when light was flashed on them. The same with a lot of animals. And the brown. Tohru Honda?! The moving blue could have been her person running! Akito was sure that his mind had not played tricks on him. She was back. He was positive now.

Akito paced the room in the dark. What punishment could he come up with. Memory erasing had failed him. Then Akito stopped. Why would they have come to the main house? What purpose was their little venture? Akito knew how much Tohru had meant to Yuki, so why would he let Tohru come so close to him? Kyo…That bakemono! Akito smiled deviously at the plan that had just blossomed in his mind.

* * * * * * * *

Yuki and Tohru quietly hurried back to Yuki’s house. They didn’t speak and just ran. They didn’t know why they were running but it just felt right. They were hoping that they hadn’t been seen at the compound. Once they got back to Yuki’s house, Yuki closed the door behind them and locked it. Tohru was looking down at her hands. She wasn’t sure what to do. She still felt that she could have prevented what happened to Kyo but she didn’t want Yuki to worry about her.

“It’s late.” Yuki said. “We should get some rest.” He advised.

“Yes.” Tohru answered. Yuki went down the hall and into his bedroom. Tohru went to her new room and got dressed. She lay in bed with the lights off but she couldn’t go to sleep. Her head was filled with all kinds of thoughts and emotions. Did Kyo really forgive her? He had said that he wasn’t mad. He actually seemed relieved to see her. This brought a warm feeling to Tohru. He had missed her. Maybe he wasn’t too mad. She would make it up to him though. But how? Eventually she would have to go back to the United States and leave Japan again. She would come and visit, that was a must, but she couldn’t afford to come back every few months, money and her job. She finally fell asleep but it wasn’t the kind of sleep that you enjoyed. It was full of doubts, angst, and worry and gave her no feeling of refreshment.

* * * * * * * *

Yuki laid in his bed staring at the ceiling. He didn’t know what to do? What if Akito found out that Tohru was back? Yes she was only on vacation but he could easily have her visit him…and then do what to her? He had to protect her. He didn’t think it was wise to see Kyo today. When she had held his hand a surge of emotion welled in his chest. What name could he give it? Was it jealousy? Yuki stopped. Why was he jealous? Because Tohru had held his hand? But why would that emotion come up? Yuki thought about Tohru. A wave of heat slowly blossomed in his chest. Her smile, her laugh, her hair that swayed in the slightest breeze…her hair that held the yellow ribbons that HE had given her so long ago. Yuki realized he was smiling. What was this emotion that calmed him and yet flustered him at the same time?

* * * * * * * *




Whew! Well there’s another chapter. I had a really hard time writing this chapter *sweat drop* Some major cases of writers block, my writing inspiration not inspiring this fic, etc. So I’m really sorry that this chapter came out so late! I feel terrible about that! Since it is summer I probably will be able to write a lot more though! So sorry about how late this was! But that’s okay! Because now it’s done. I got a review from AHeartofIce from fanfiction.net that pointed out that Tohru could still remember the Sohma’s and just not their curse. Thank you for pointing this out to me. It’s just that when I started this fic I wanted Tohru to not remember interacting with the Sohmas. Some may be confused about Tohru’s memory suppression so I will clear some of that up. Hatori erased her memories (for reasons that will be shortly explained) and she still remembered the Sohmas just unconsciously. (Like she remembered Yuki but after so many years of work he was pushed to the back of her mind. Also she would remember their names sometimes but wouldn’t connect it with their face.) She doesn’t remember the curse or living with the Sohmas or how close she was to them. She only remembered the few that she saw almost every day. (Yuki, Kyo, Hatsuharu, and Momiji. They went to school together so she saw them but didn’t remember how close she was to them.) Well…now she does but before she didn’t *sweat drop* I hope that helped to clear up some confusion. If you have a question go ahead and review and I will try to answer it without giving away the plot! Thank you all so much for the reviews! I love them all! And so far no flames! Yay! *dances* Sorry, but I just love every review that was ever sent to me! I rejoice over every single one! Thank you and Stay Happy!

Yasu-san!

P.S. If anybody knows about a website where I can read Fruits Basket scanlations with no downloading, no charges, and no signing up required please tell me! I’ve looked all over and I can’t find any place like that! I’m desperate! A place like this for Kodocha (Kodomo no omocha) would be nice too!

* Okay…On fan fiction.net I saw that this and another story of mine was “alerted”…I don’t know what that means! *sweat drop* If it means I’m supposed to put a disclaimer can somebody tell me that? I will put one for the remaining chapters if necessary. I apologize to those who were offended…if that’s what “alert” means. Gomen nasaii!