Ghost In The Shell Fan Fiction / Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Fan Fiction ❯ Amazon Wishes & Basset Hound Dreams ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Amazon Wishes &BassetHound Dreams
 
Motoko had owned another boat once, but she had sold it along with her scuba gear. That was a hobby that belonged to her old life, the life before Project 2501. This was her new life, and she was enjoying finding herself again.
 
“Batou would be relieved I got that whole deep sea diving thing out of my system.” She said to herself steering the new boat down the coastline, past small fishing villages. “Still, I obviously need to get away from it all, I'm talking to myself.”
 
She docked in a marina at one of the larger villages, one whose summertime trade also included tourism. The boardwalk was populated mostly with city people like herself, just getting away for the week or the weekend. The Major had to laugh, watching them. It looked as if most of those people had brought their day to day problems with them. She could tell by the way this one walked (in a rush even on vacation), or the way that one scolded their kids to behave (when they were obviously excited to be on a break form school).
 
The inability to relax seemed to invade the very air of this village with what the locals would surely term, somewhat contemptuously `the summer people.' However that contempt would not stand in their way of making money off tourist traps designed to ensnare the summer visitors. It was one such establishment that had lured the Major to this village in the first place.
 
A shop there was owned by an old friend and Motoko had recently been in touch with her. The subject of vacation had come up; an invitation to visit had been extended. Motoko had exchanged her edgy city clothes for a comfortable t-shirt and jeans, thrown together a sweater and a couple pairs of shoes, a week's worth of underwear and a book, and then she had hit the water in the new boat. Aramaki was the only one she had told where she was going, and only then because she had to. Things had been pretty quiet for Section 9, and the Chief had surprised her by agreeing that he thought it high time she took a break.
 
Motoko had said nothing to the other team members until she was well under way. She felt a little guilty about this, but knew they would be fine without her. She also knew that there would have been something to hold her back at the last minute if she had announced her intention to take her vacation ahead of time.
 
“Its better this way,” she told herself, “so why do I feel like I just ditched them? Why do I keep wondering what Batou will say about this?”
 
Many miles away…
Batou returned to his safe house at midmorning, waking up his dog who watched him as he started pulling things out of the closet and dresser and stuffing them in a duffle bag. When he grabbed the dog's favorite toys, Gabriel became worried and waddled over to investigate.
 
“Hey, Gabu… I've never taken you to the beach have I buddy?” Batou said while he changed out of the dark polo he had worn to work in favor of a loud yellow and red Hawaiian shirt.
 
The Basset hound waived his thick tail, whatever Batou had said, he was just happy to have his attention. Though Gabriel cocked his head to the side, Batou being home in the middle of the day was unusual. The dog began to get excited; maybe this meant a whole day with his owner! Gabriel `woofed' and ran around the apartment, doing a happy doggie dance.
 
“Yeah, buddy, that's right. We're going on a road trip.” Batou told him enthusiastically.
 
“Woof!” Gabriel bellowed in response.
 
“I just hope the Major doesn't kill me when we get there.” Batou told the dog. He was a little worried in spite of himself.
 
“Whine,” said the Basset hound, picking up on his master's tone.
 
“Hey, don't worry about it, Gabu. It'll be just you and me on the road.” The big man reassured his dog.
 
Wag, went Gabriel's tail. He stole Batou's discarded shirt and ran around the house again, much to his master's amusement and frustration.
 
When they finally got to the car, Batou laid a big multicolored beach towel over the passenger seat for Gabriel.
 
The dog clamored into the seat and stood there waiving his tail, thumping the dashboard. He soon started to rearrange the towel into a nest.
 
“Hey, no!” Batou scolded, “That's so you don't drool all over the seat, buddy!”
 
“Woof, whine.” Gabriel protested, and then laid down with a huff, surrendering to his master's wishes.
 
“There you go, good dog.” Batou praised him proudly, walking around to the driver's side. “Besides, that towel matches my shirt.” He grinned, though he knew the dog was more or less colorblind.
 
By the time Batou sat down and started up the car, Gabriel had rearranged his towel into a suitable nest without apparently having moved a muscle. He stared up at Batou innocently, waiving his tail slowly. When the Basset opened his mouth in a canine grin and lolled his tongue out, Batou knew it was all over and the dog had won, again.
 
“Ok, fine Gabu.” He ceded, patting the beast on the head, “but no biscuit until we get there.”
 
The dog whined, but Batou pretended not to hear him while activating the GPS tracker in the dashboard. A purple dot appeared a couple hundred miles down the coast. “There she is, buddy.”
 
Gabriel sniffed the hologram unimpressed. He lay back down, no point in wasting energy standing around on the seat until there was a breeze outside the window to sniff.
 
“What do you want to bet the Major is surprised to see us when we get there?” he asked the dog.
 
“Woof.” Gabriel said quietly.
 
“Yeah, you just be on your best behavior,” Batou told the Basset, “And try being as cute as possible, it just might raise my chances of survival.”
 
Gabriel thumped the seat with his tail enthusiastically as the car began to move. In no time there was a breeze outside the window, he had his head sticking out, and his ears were trailing like banners. It was a good day to be a dog!
 
At the beach…
With an exasperated sigh, the Major hopped from her boat to the pier and started walking. She had no particular goal in mind. Her friend was not expecting her for hours, so she had time to just walk around and think.
 
After an hour of aimless wandering, Motoko found herself at her friend's shop. Rather than stand around outside, she went in. The woman behind the counter didn't recognize her at first.
 
“Welcome! Can I help you?” She said.
 
“No thanks,” Motoko replied, “I'm meeting an old friend.”
 
“Motoko?” The short redhead asked, surprised. “Is that really you?”
 
“Suzuka?” Motoko asked. “You look so different with long hair!”
 
“You look almost the same. I absolutely love the violet hair!” Suzuka replied, coming around the counter to hug her old friend and squinting up at the Major, “I'd know your voice anywhere! How are you?”
 
“Sorry I'm so early,” Motoko apologized, “the new boat is faster than I thought.”
 
Suzuka laughed, reminding the Major that her friend had always been so easy-going, it made her wonder how they could be so different and yet still have been friends for so long. Suzuka was one of the few from her old life that she had felt like reconnecting with, and she regretted that it had taken so long to get around to it.
 
“No problem,” Suzuka said, “it's been pretty slow today. I can close up early, its one of the perks of running my own place. Come on, I'll show you around town then you can watch me eat.”
 
“Hey, cyborgs can eat!” Motoko reminded her.
 
“I know, but I always wondered what the point was.” Suzuka said as she gathered up her jacket and keys, sounding almost like a Tachikoma. “So, what is the point if you don't need to?”
 
“It reminds some of us that we're still human.” Motoko told her. “Food can be one of life's great pleasures, right?”
 
“I guess.” Suzuka had a far away look in her eyes for just a moment.
 
“Let me put it another way.” The Major said. “Wouldn't you miss strawberry cheesecake?”
 
“Would I ever!” The little red-head enthused.
 
“Me too.” Motoko told her.
 
Suzuka laughed again. “Well, we will just have to get some then.”
 
After spending another hour or so walking around town, poking around in shops and talking about what each of them had been up to for the past couple of years, Motoko and Suzuka finally sat down to an early dinner. By the time dessert showed up they were beginning to get past all the superficial, mundane parts of their lives and started talking about more weighty subjects.
 
“So,” Suzuka ventured, skewering a strawberry with her fork, “no husband or boyfriend, huh?”
 
Motoko took a sip of coffee to wash down the sticky cheesecake. “I had a boyfriend once, from another section of public security. It didn't work out.”
 
“Huh, but nobody right now?” Suzuka asked, munching her strawberry thoughtfully.
 
“No.” Motoko responded a little sadly, wishing that there was.
 
Suzuka looked at her as if weighing something in her mind. She leaned a little closer across the table and put her hand over Motoko's and said, “Would you like to go somewhere more, um private with me?”
 
“Say again?” Motoko was confused but thought: oh crap, should have seen this coming.
 
“I just always had a sort of girl crush on you, I finally decided to tell you and see where it goes.” Suzuka told her earnestly, her brown eyes pleading. “What do you say?”
 
“I'm sorry, I don't think so.” Motoko said gently, sliding her hand free. “But…why me?”
 
Suzuka sighed, folding her hands on the table. “You're so tall and strong, but you were always very cute too. You're the perfect combination of strength and femininity. Oh, Motoko why not?”
 
“I just don't feel like it.” The Major told her, trying to be firm but gentle. “Look, I'm flattered, really I am, but…” she realized that this seemed to happen an awful lot and wondered why that was. “Tell me something, Suzuka.”
 
“Anything.” Suzuka nodded with resignation.
 
Motoko sat back and asked, “Why is it that it only seems to be other women or drunken idiots who ask me out?”
 
Suzuka couldn't help but smile, Motoko seemed so worldly sometimes yet so naive. “I don't know about drunken idiots,” she giggled, “and by that I assume you mean drunk men. Maybe they need to have some false courage in them to approach you. If I were a man, you'd scare the hell out of me.”
 
“But why don't I scare you?” Motoko asked, perplexed.
 
“Because silly, we're both women!” Her friend said in mock exasperation.
 
“I'm sorry,” The Major confessed, “I just don't get it.”
 
“You're a tough chick, Motoko. You are probably more `manly' than most guys, but you are very feminine at the same time.” Suzuka broke it down. “Most of us can only pull of being one or the other. Maybe that's why you attract gals like me… and scare off most guys.”
 
Most guys?” Motoko asked.
 
“Well, yeah,” Suzuka said, as if pointing out the obvious. “I imagine a man would have to be pretty determined, not to mention brave to try you. He'd also have to be pretty open minded, I mean look at what you do for a living! Not many guys would be comfortable dating a woman cop, especially a team leader.”
 
“Unless they were in a similar line of work?” The Major observed, not really thinking about her ex-boyfriend, but weighing future possibilities.
 
“Yeah, maybe, but aren't most male cops testosterone-laden macho jerks?” Suzuka asked flatly, arching one eyebrow with a smirk.
 
“Not too opinionated on that subject, are you?” Motoko smiled.
 
“Not me!” Suzuka giggled, pretending to take offense, then said very seriously, “Look, the point is they're probably intimidated by the very thing that attracts me… and other women like me.” She sighed, “I can't believe I'm sitting here telling you why you don't have a man, when I started off making you an offer myself!”
 
Motoko laughed, relieved. “I hope I'm not making you angry, asking all these things.”
 
“No, of course not.” Suzuka told her breezily. “I'm disappointed, but we're still friends if you want to be.”
 
Motoko sighed. “At this point, I really think that's all we can be, Suzuka.”
 
“Well that is something.” Suzuka said, but added with a grin, “You call me if you have a change of heart though.”
 
The Major picked up the tab, it was the least she could do. She politely refused when Suzuka offered to walk her back to the boat, figuring that it was for the best to avoid rehashing the offer and refusal. When they left the restaurant each went her separate way, promising to stay in touch, knowing that it was just as likely not to happen.
 
Motoko crossed the boardwalk and removed her shoes to walk down the beach alone with her thoughts. The afternoon was drifting toward evening and the shadows lengthened and deepened. Still a couple hours remained until the sun would redden and set over the sea separating Japan from the mainland. Motoko put her shades on and looked at the yellow -orange ball as a thin banner of cloud passed in front of it. It reminded her of her mood.
 
“Why is there nobody in my life?” she asked herself. “If only…”
 
Motoko sighed and kept walking slowly in the general direction of the marina. Realizing her thoughts were beginning to crystallize and lead her to conclusions she was not entirely comfortable with. She picked up a rock and skipped it into the glittering waves.
 
“Damn it.” She cursed. “If only… I wish...”
 
She thought, be careful what you wish for. She told her ghost to shut up.
 
“I wish he'd just get off his ass and do something about it, or tell me how he feels, one way or the other.” Motoko said to herself. “Have I been too professional, too much of a soldier, a commander?”
 
A stainless steel bitch, an ice queen, an Amazon; all terms she had heard the men apply to her. She had always understood them to be a soldier's tongue-in-cheek way of conveying respect for her as a tough leader. But was there more to it, did they really think she was a bitch?
 
Motoko hung her head, watching the surf wash around her toes. All at once she regretted having come here.
 
“Oh, Batou,” she whispered, “I wish you were here with me.”
 
A trumpeting howl snapped her out of her reverie just in time to see the dog, if you could call it that, barreling down the beach toward her.
 
Motoko stood there staring in disbelief. How could a dog that was built like that move so fast? She glanced up when she heard him laughing and recognized Batou walking toward her.
 
Gabriel was really moving, waddling at top speed, and Batou could not help but laugh. He realized that he should be running to catch the dog, but he just kept walking, unsure which was funnier the sight of his dog running full-out or the shocked look on the Major's face. When he noticed that a collision seemed inevitable, he ran to catch up but it was too late.
 
Gabriel checked his speed just before running into the Major, but it did little to slow him down on the wet sand. The dog locked out all four of his thick legs, skidding and stumbling. Finally losing his footing completely, the Basset hound rolled into the Major like a furry bowling ball.
 
Motoko dodged to the side, but on the unstable footing, she slipped. Twisting to avoid crushing the dog as she fell, she reached out. Batou grabbed her arm, but her momentum carried them both to the ground.
 
They lay there chuckling as the next wave came in, washing half way up both of them. Gabriel stood up and ran away from the wave. He barked at it as it retreated down the beach.
 
“So that's the dog I've heard so much about?” The Major asked, propping herself up on her elbows.
 
“Yep, that's him.” Batou laughed, “I told him to be on his best behavior when he met you. See how well he listens?”
 
“Well,” she observed pointedly, “he is your dog.”
 
“Yeah, well there is that.” Batou admitted, watching Gabriel flee in terror from another wave.
 
“So,” Motoko asked, “What are you doing here anyway?”
 
“After you left the Old Ape told the rest of us to take a long weekend, guess you must have inspired him or something.” He told her, helping her to her feet. “But he said `stay on alert just in case,' like we don't do that anyway.”
 
He paused, looking at the Major for a moment while she tried to brush the sand off her wet jeans. She looked amazing. Before his imagination ran away with him, Batou asked “Say, aren't you going to chew my ass for tracking you down?”
 
She didn't dare look at him, knowing her smile would give her away. “Do you want me to?”
 
“Not really,” he told her, “I was just wondering why you don't.”
 
“I…” Motoko began to say something, but forgot what it was when Gabriel waddled over to them and shook himself off; splattering both of them with wet sand, and laid a seashell at her feet.
 
“Awe, good dog.” Motoko told the Basset, reaching down to pick up the seashell.
 
Gabriel looked up at Batou with a gleam in his eyes, snatched up the seashell and took off up the beach, kicking up a rooster tail of wet sand as he went.
 
“Bad dog!” Batou yelled. “Oh, hell I better go get him before he chokes on that thing.”
 
“I'll help you.” Motoko told him with a smile, “I owe him.”
 
They both set off after the dog at a dead run, but Motoko had soon outdistanced Batou.
 
“Run, Gabu, run!” He yelled, laughing.
 
Over their internal net Motoko asked him, “How am I supposed to catch him if you keep encouraging him?”
 
Batou laughed all the more and responded over the net, “Major, are you saying you can't outwit my dog?”
 
The Major replied, “He is your dog, Batou. I assume he's pretty clever.”
 
Batou wondered if it was his imagination that she had just complimented him. Maybe she had complimented the dog. “It's worse than you think, Major,” he told her, resuming his pursuit of both of them, “Bassets were designed for endurance.”
 
When he caught up to her she stopped him and said aloud, “You're kidding right?”
 
“Nope, endurance across rough terrain,” Batou informed her, “They used to use them to hunt rabbits.”
 
Motoko put her hands on her hips and looked up at him. “Are you telling me that round hound can out-do a pair of mil-spec cyborgs?”
 
Batou tried desperately to look serious and almost succeeded. “I'm telling you it is possible.”
 
“Great, nice pooch.” Motoko commented.
 
“You know if you chase dogs they think you want to play.” Batou commented, watching the dog gamboling around, tossing the shell aside then pouncing on it in the sand.
 
“Really?” The Major asked, arching an eyebrow. “What about people?”
 
“Huh?” Batou felt as if his cyber brain had stripped a gear.
 
“If you chase me, will he think we're playing?” She asked.
 
“Yeah, probably.” He responded hesitantly. “Why?”
 
“Good.” Motoko punched him lightly in the chest, “Tag, you're `it.'” She yelled and sprinted out of reach.
 
“What the…?” Batou decided to just go with it and took off running after her. He wondered what had gotten into the Major though.
 
When Gabriel noticed that his audience was sprinting away from him, picked up his new toy and gave chase.
 
The sun was setting and looked like a huge tangerine, reflecting on the water in a dazzling display of orange and gold on the blue-green waves. As the sun slipped further in the west, descending toward the horizon, it took on a reddish glow. The runners' shadows grew long behind them, and true to Batou's description, Gabriel kept right on running, even though he didn't have a prayer of catching the two.
 
Nearing the pier, Motoko looked back and instantly realized what a mistake this was. She had slowed her stride, and Batou was catching up. Laughing, she leaped onto the dock and sprinted for the boat. Before she could get there, he had pulled the same maneuver, grabbing her around the waist. Their combined forward motion carried them both off the other side of the dock into water about eight feet deep.
 
“Batou!” The Major cried just before she hit the water.
 
He had no chance to reply, but turned in the air, reached for her and missed. His hand came down on the dock instead, shattering a plank as he fell. The last dry thought he had was: shit she's really going to hand me my head now!
 
Gabriel the Basset stood on the dock, looking sadly over the edge, wondering where his master and his friend had gone. He was not about to jump in. He chose to woof at the water instead, maybe it would be intimidated into giving up his friends.
 
Batou and Motoko pushed off from the bottom, launching themselves toward the dock. When they broke the surface, both of them grabbed the wooden planking and held on. They hung there for a moment, staring at each other, and then up at the hound. Gabriel did his happy doggie dance on the pier, nearly toppling over the edge.
 
Motoko smiled, “We'd better get out of here before he falls in.”
 
Batou nodded and hauled himself up onto the dock. He knew the Major could do the same, but he offered her his hand anyway. Much to his surprise she accepted his help, and he pulled her out of the water.
 
“You're lighter than I thought.” He commented, standing close.
 
Motoko grinned. “My floaters work.” Was all she said, not backing away.
 
Gabriel padded over, looking very repentant, and gently placed the seashell at Motoko's feet. He lay down and put his head on Batou's feet and stared up at both of them with huge brown eyes, thumping his tail slowly.
 
Motoko picked up the shell and put it in her pocket, giving the dog a gentle pat on the head. “You're not such a bad dog after all, are you?”
 
The Basset picked up his head and looked at her with a doggie grin.
 
“Maybe not a bad dog,” Batou noted, lifting Gabriel like a fifty pound sack of potatoes, “but he sure is dirty after all that running around.”
 
Motoko nodded toward her boat. “Come on, we can clean him up in my shower.”
 
Batou was stunned. “We?”
 
“Well, mostly you, he's your hound and there is only so much room in there.” She told him walking down the dock.
 
Batou looked at Gabriel. The dog licked his nose.
 
“Yeah, buddy, I just hope she's thinking the same thing.” Batou told the dog softly.
 
“Wuff.” Gabriel agreed.
 
Batou handed the dog to the Major over the side of the boat then climbed aboard and looked around.
 
He let out a low whistle. “Nice tub, Major. When did you get this?”
 
“Last week, when I decided to come down here.” Motoko told him. “Hey, don't give me that look, I didn't replace the scuba gear.”
 
“Good.” Batou said bluntly. He had always hated the thought of something going wrong and Motoko sinking to the bottom like a ton of bricks.
 
“You didn't happen to bring a change of clothes did you?” She asked him, watching Gabriel sniff everything on the deck.
 
“Yeah, why?” Batou inquired.
 
Motoko looked at him, considering something, then said, “Go get your stuff I'll take care of the dog.”
 
“Are you sure?” Batou asked in disbelief.
 
“Yes.” Motoko told him, hefting the dog onto her shoulder. “Just bring back some beer too.”
 
“You got it.” Batou laughed. “Thanks.”
 
Motoko had disappeared down the hatch with the dog before Batou left the pier. By the time he got back, six pack in hand and his duffle bag over his shoulder, Gabriel was wandering around on deck, almost dry and smelling like lavender shampoo.
 
“Don't you smell pretty, boy?” He greeted the Basset, “Where's the Major?”
 
“Woof.” Gabriel said, sniffing the duffle bag.
 
“Right, a deal is a deal.” Batou pulled out a tin of dog treats and tossed a couple to the hound, along with his favorite ball and chew bone. “Good dog, guard the boat, Gabu.”
 
Gabriel was oblivious to anything but his toys and treats as Batou descended the stairway to the living quarters. As soon as he cleared the hatch he heard the sound of the shower. He stood and thought for a minute how he should proceed, shrugged and decided to look for a refrigerator in the galley to buy himself some time. He wondered what the Major was up to, thinking that maybe it was his imagination that she seemed happier than usual to see him.
 
After the beer was secured in the `fridge, he went and knocked on the bathroom door. “Hey, how much water does this thing have anyway?” he asked. Man that was lame, he thought to himself.
 
Motoko stuck her head out of the door. “It has a reverse osmosis filter system, so it takes in sea water and changes it to fresh water, why?” She stepped out wearing only a light yellow towel.
 
Batou was at a loss for words, taking a moment to study her mussed wet hair and the overlap in that towel that was the only thing standing between him and his own private goddess.
 
Motoko didn't seem to notice. She pushed the door open behind her with her heel. “Go ahead; the water is just about perfect. But don't be in there too long or I'll drink all the beer.”
 
“Right.” Was all he could say. When she brushed by him in the narrow hallway, Batou was glad the light was low. He was not sure that his bio-tech skin could blush; he just knew he felt like it.
 
Motoko turned to look at him before going forward to her quarters. She had that shy smile on her face that he never could figure out. Half the time when she looked like that she did something outrageous. The rest of the time she shut down and said never mind. Batou wondered what was going on in her mind. It was easier than figuring out what was going on in his own head.
 
“What am I doing?” She asked herself, shedding the towel and pulling on a white t-shirt and wrapping an orange sarong around her hips. She took a deep breath and checked herself out in her full-length mirror, running a hand through her damp hair. “Okay, this is not just some guy; this is Batou for crying out loud. Right, and that's supposed to calm me down, how?” She decided for once not to worry about it and just go with what she felt. She resolved to put the witty sarcasm on the back burner for tonight.
 
She scurried back up on deck, taking the beer with her. Even knowing that it wouldn't do much of anything, she cracked one open and drank half of it. Motoko lit a couple of candles in glass hurricane lamps and sat on the padded bench that was around the side of the boat, trying to relax. Gabriel nosed his ball over to her, and she pushed it with her foot, watching the holographic lungfish inside seem to swim.
 
The sound of the dog's short claws clicking on the wooden deck followed the ball toward the hatch. Batou launched the ball back up the hatch, over Gabriel's head. The Basset turned on a dime and chased the ball past Motoko and toward the back of the boat.
 
Batou climbed the stairs to the deck slowly, desperately trying to not make it obvious that he was checking the Major out. But she looked amazing, with her hair the color of the evening sky and that skirt the color of the setting sun.
 
“So,” Batou remarked, grabbing a beer, “Cute town, what brings you down here anyway?”
 
Motoko shifted on her seat, “An old friend lives here.”
 
“Yeah?” he asked. “Do I get to meet him?”
 
“Her, actually,” she corrected, “that might not be such a great idea.”
 
“Why?” Batou asked, “Afraid I'll try to pick her up?”
 
Motoko laughed so hard she nearly spilled her beer. “No, Batou, just trust me.”
 
“Huh?” He asked, looking at her.
 
She stopped to really look at him, the setting sun made his pale hair and grey cybernetic eyes look like brushed bronze. He stood there, leaning against the railing, wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt that he had not bothered to button, and Bermuda shorts.
 
“What is it with the Hawaiian shirts?” She asked him.
 
“Hey, this is vacation right?” Batou said, faking a pained expression. “So, why can't I meet this friend of yours, afraid she'll tell me some dark secret?”
 
Motoko sighed, exasperated that he wouldn't let it go. “No, if you must know it's because she hit on me today.”
 
“Whoa.” Batou felt awkward immediately, not knowing for sure which way the Major came down on that score.
 
“Batou,” Motoko said, slowly standing up, “I turned her down.”
 
“You did?” He asked.
 
“Yep, flat.” She told him, stepping closer.
 
“Is there somebody else, then?” He at least had the nerve to ask her that.
 
“Actually, now that you mention it there is.” Motoko said seriously.
 
She was standing there, almost toe to toe with him, and he could not think of the words he really wanted to say. Batou looked down at Motoko's wine-red eyes and asked the one thing he did not want to know. “So, who is this lucky person?”
 
She didn't think. She just went with it. She told him, “You are, if you're interested.”
 
He would have taken a step back, but there was no place to go. He looked away. “Don't play games with me, Motoko.”
 
She raised a hand gently to his chin and turned his face back to look at her. “I'm serious, Batou, really, truly serious.”
 
“Really?” He asked, and on an impulse he bent forward and kissed her, hard.
 
Her arms circled his neck and she returned his kiss. Over the net she said “Yes, really.”
 
When she released him and took a step back, Motoko took his hand and lead him back to her seat. Batou followed in a daze and sat beside her. After some minutes he looked at her. She was blushing.
 
“Do you want me to stay?” He asked, very innocently.
 
“I'd like that.” She told him, a little awkwardly.
 
“Motoko, you're sure about this, this isn't some whim, is it?” He asked, not wanting to be caught up in the moment if it was.
 
“Yes.” She told him, “I'm sure. Actually now that it comes right down to it, I'm more sure of this than I have been of anything in a long time. Just before you showed up I was wishing that you were here with me.”
 
Batou sighed, leaning back, looking out over the water. “Motoko, I have been trying to tell you that I care about you for the longest time. I just figured you weren't interested in me.”
 
“Batou, the past is the past.” The Major said, “Forget it, lets move forward.”
 
“Excellent idea.” Batou grinned, “Where do you want to start, Major?”
 
“Well, first I think you should kiss me again,” She told him, “Then I think we should go below, I have a king size bed down there and…”
 
He kissed her again, lifted her in his arms and carried her down the hatch.
 
A few minutes later, Gabriel rolled his ball down the stairs and followed them.
 
{Fade to black}