Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ In The Arms Of A War Hero ❯ Four ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-Author's Note-
Ok, ok, I know it's been like four days since the last update…but I just been sooooo busy. And now, thankfully, I'm being lazy sitting at my computer doing nothing at all, so I thought this would be a good time to write, lol.
 
Oh!! I forgot, and just incase there was any confusion about Kanadi's boyfriend and how there are two different names, Touji and Itsumo; they're two different people that Kanadi has gone out with. Sorry to not have been very detailed about that, but next chapter is dedicated to Miriallia, so everything will be explained.
 
Anyways, here's the update, enjoy everyone!
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
In The Arms Of A War Hero
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
Four
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
Chapter 9
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
 
Normally when Kira drove, Cagalli felt like she could sleep a good eight hours before arriving at the appointed destination, but while Dearka was sitting up front beside Kira, the scenery seemed to pass at a faster speed, compared to before, where the same tree was easily visible for a good five minutes. Cagalli and Athrun sat in the back of the car staring out their own window, reluctant in small talk as they kept to themselves. Cagalli would sometimes take a secretive peek at Athrun from the corner of her eye, and would see him sitting there, with his elbow rested against the window ledge staring out at the moving world before him, his eyes seeming distant. Cagalli felt butterflies in her stomach just by looking at him, just by staring at his placid face that radiated in handsomeness and masculinity. Athrun was extremely handsome, Cagalli kept thinking every time she looked at him. And after those couple minutes, she would feel her cheeks inflamed in pink so she would look away, afraid that he would turn to see her looking at him.
 
“Dearka, do you have to play with that? Dearka?”
 
Dearka was fiddling in his seat pressing every button that he saw in the car. He was playing with the windows - making them go up and down - he was opening and closing the sunroof muttering curses of excitement and glee. And lastly, he was playing with the radio. Changing the channel every second.
 
“Hey…this song's pretty cool…” he'd say, and then he would change the radio station the next second and continue down his adventure of the `radio'.
 
Kira was trying to concentrate on his driving, mentally cursing himself for allowing Dearka to sit in the front seat when he had asked to. Kira's foot was concealed to the gas and wasn't aware that he was holding his foot down harder than usual - he was too busy watching Dearka occupy himself with the gadgets in the car.
 
“Dearka, can't you settle on a station?” Cagalli called from the back, she was leaned forward in her seat, resting against the driver's seat, making Kira relax a little, knowing that Dearka's actions were apparently driving Cagalli insane as well, and that he wasn't just making a big deal over a little situation.
 
“But these stations are so weird. I just want to check `em out,” he said pressing the `seek' button again.
 
“Dearka…” Cagalli sighed, leaning forward more, wrapping her arm around the head rest. “This is about the sixth time I have heard this song…” she said, trying to subtly hint to Dearka that by constantly changing the channels, he was driving her crazy.
 
“It is?” he asked with a raised eyebrow, “Oh…heh! They all sound the same to me…”
 
Cagalli mentally smacked herself in the forehead and leaned back in her seat rolling her eyes. Athrun who had become aware of the bemusing situation, had tuned in interestingly with a small smirk on his face once hearing Dearka's remark about the similar stations - even though he too had heard a small similarity between all the songs playing, but he was just going to keep that to himself. Seeing that Cagalli was rolling her eyes and trying to ignore the rapid station change, Athrun took off his seatbelt and leaned forward. Cagalli watched him with interest. Kira turned and gave Athrun a funny look,
 
“What are you doing?” Kira asked, his voice hinting that he was shaken up by Athrun's sudden appearance in the front half of the car.
 
“Taking the matter into my own hands,” he said bluntly, and then extended his arm and turned the radio off, he then looked at Dearka and said, “Don't turn that that thing back on, understood?”
 
Dearka nodded bashfully and then looked out his window.
 
Athrun sat back in his seat properly and put his seatbelt back on. He looked up to see Cagalli smiling at him, and she then burst into laughter. Athrun smiled at her, feeling some small chuckles break out of his mouth. Cagalli stopped laughing and held a hand over her stomach and tried to catch her breath. Athrun smiled fondly at her.
 
“That was hilarious,” she said, taking in a deep breath. “I'm surprised Kira didn't think of that,” she said.
 
“Think of what?” Kira called pulling into the large, circular driveway of Attha Manor.
 
“Of turning off the radio,” Cagalli said opening her door once the car stopped and hopped out, her small-heeled sandals crashing against the gravel.
 
Kira, Athrun and Dearka joined her in front of the car as they made their way towards the house, Kira walked beside Cagalli and looked down at her, “I shouldn't have had to,” he said, “I was the one driving.”
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
Once they had arrived in the house, standing in the main foyer, Takayaki took their jackets and hung them up and left the group with a bow. Kira, Athrun, Cagalli, and Dearka made their way to the Living Room where Cagalli sat in her Lay-Z Boy, Kira and Athrun sat on the loveseat, and Dearka sat on the corner of the coffee table, seeing to it that there were no other seats available.
 
“How come it's called Attha Manor?” Dearka asked, “you live here too, Kira, right? How come it doesn't have Yamato in the name at all?”
 
“This house belonged to Cagalli's father,” Kira said, noticing the sad look that crossed Cagalli's face, “it's Cagalli's house now. I have no ownership over it at all.”
 
“Of course you do,” Cagalli said cutting Kira off, “it's your house too, Kira.”
 
Kira smiled and nodded, and Cagalli sat back further in her chair. Athrun was sitting upright beside Kira with his legs crossed and his arm residing on the backrest of the couch.
 
“It's a nice house,” he said with a nod, “Dearka and I are very grateful about you guys letting us stay here,” Athrun said. Dearka nodded in agreement, “Yeah, what Athrun said. Kick ass house, and thanks for letting us stay,” he said summing up the contents of Athrun's speech.
 
Cagalli laughed at Dearka's words and got up, “I'll be right back.”
 
“Need a hand?” Kira asked. Cagalli shook her head, “No, it's ok. I won't be too long.”
 
She walked out of the room and down the hallway towards the Maids' chambers and stood outside Toho's room and knocked. Cagalli heard some scuffling on the other side of the door, and then it was opened and Toho stood there with a smile on her face.
 
“Ms. Attha,” Toho said, “We have told you that you do not have to knock, just enter if you need us,” she said walking out into the hallway, her lavender locks flying behind her as she walked into the hallway and closed the door.
 
“Even maids have the right to their own privacy,” Cagalli said placing a hand on Toho's slender shoulder. The sixteen year old smiled and curtseyed appreciatively to Cagalli.
 
“Is there something you needed, Ms. Attha?” Toho asked, knocking on Reyna's door and then opening it. Reyna came scuffling out and then bowed her head towards Cagalli and folded her hands in front her. Toho came back out after closing the door and stood beside Reyna, who said,
 
“What is it that you need done, Ms. Attha?”
 
“There are two gentlemen,” Cagalli began, placing her hands behind her back, “who will be staying her for a while, Mr. Athrun Zala and a Mr. Dearka Elthman. I would be much appreciative if you ladies would fix the two of them up a room each.”
 
Toho nodded and began to walk down the hallway, then stopped and waited for Reyna. Reyna, the fourteen year old, green-haired orphan, stood before Cagalli with a smile on her face, “You mean the war heroes?” she asked quietly, her eyes sparkling in excitement. Cagalli smiled, “Yes, I should say so.”
 
Toho walked towards Reyna and put a hand on her shoulder and led her to the staircase, saying over her shoulder, “My apologies, Ms. Attha.”
 
Cagalli smiled and waved away the apology, “No trouble, Toho.”
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
Cagalli returned to the three males and apologized for it taking longer than she had expected. They regarded her apology with a shake of their heads and they continued their discussion on the progressions of the war. Cagalli shifted her position awkwardly whenever she heard anything about ORB or about her father. Whenever Kira mentioned Lacus she saw his eyes partially light up and she felt herself smile. But whenever Lacus was mention, Cagalli also noticed Athrun seemed to flinch. It made her heart begin to flutter rapidly and made her think that Athrun could still possibly love his former fiancée. For her brother's happiness, she wished he didn't, because if Kira found out that Athrun still could have possible feelings for Lacus, his heart would be crushed. But Cagalli also had a selfish side, as well. She knew she had developed feelings for Athrun over the extent of time - not wanting to be very girly about it, she kept it to herself and would never act upon it, not wanting anyone to think of her as a mushy teenager. Cagalli had thought upon several occasions that there might have been even the littlest amount of chance that Athrun had feelings towards her as well. But being pessimistic, she always thought that he was treating her no more friendly than he would any other woman whom he had become friends with. After all, a high military ZAFT pilot wouldn't become romantically involved with a daughter of a Neutral Earth Nation's president. Even if Cagalli was the princess of that Nation; the being together of a ZAFT pilot and ORB's princess wouldn't really be a happily ever after. Cagalli sighed at knowing this and her thoughts were interrupted when she heard Kira's voice.
 
“You ok, Cagalli?” he asked. She looked at him with a bewildered look on her face. She laughed nervously and a small pink tint took to her cheeks.
 
“Sorry, I was kinda zoned out,” she said tautly. Athrun smiled at her coyly and said,
 
“Thinking about the war?”
 
Cagalli slowly nodded her head; her blush still eminent on her face.
 
Just as Dearka broke the silence between them all, Toho and Reyna appeared in the room and bowed at the four friends sitting in the middle of it.
 
“Excuse us for interrupting,” Toho said as the two girls bowed.
 
“Not at all,” Kira said smiling at the two. He noticed the look on Reyna's face as she made eye contact with both Dearka and Athrun.
 
“This is Athrun Zala,” he said gesturing with his right hand towards Athrun, “and that is Dearka Elthman,” he said motioning his hand towards Dearka, “they are both -”
 
“War heroes,” Reyna finished, smiling toothily at both Dearka and Athrun, the two men smiled, Dearka laughed.
 
“War heroes, I like that title,” he said smiling widely at Athrun who in return nodded his head.
 
Reyna became flustered and bowed apologetically, “I apologize for speaking out of line, Mr. Elthman and Mr. Zala,” she said.
 
Athrun shook his head, “No harm done.” Dearka nodded in accord, “No worries, girls.”
 
After rolling her eyes at Reyna, Toho announced, “Your rooms have been prepared, gentlemen, we can escort you if you'd like?”
 
Dearka popped up and walked over to them, “That'd be great!” Athrun stood too, along with Kira and Cagalli who followed in rear as Toho and Reyna took lead up the stairs. As Dearka was in a conversation with the two maids and Athrun, Kira leaned over his shoulder towards Cagalli and spoke,
 
“You seemed a little nervous back there, everything ok?”
 
Cagalli looked wide-eyed at Kira and then rolled her eyes with a nod of her head, “Yes, Kira, everything is fine. God,” she said, “you act like I'm a stupid, mushy, teenage girl, at least give me some credit,” she verbalized stalking up the stairs taking lead in front of Kira, who in return rolled his eyes and smiled at his sister.
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
“This will be your room, Mr. Elthman, I hope it is very comfortable,” Toho said extending her arm to present the room to Dearka. “I will be your first-hand maid for your stay here, so if there is anything you ever need, just call me and I shall arrive post haste.”
 
Athrun, Kira and Cagalli watched Dearka explore his room from the doorway.
 
Toho moved out of the way and let Dearka enter his bedroom. The room was beige and white with a four-poster bed leading into the middle of the room. The wooded floor blended perfectly with the mahogany, engraved bed frame. A desk was placed in front of the open window, with off-white, translucent curtains dancing with the on-coming breeze that circuited throughout the room. There was a dresser with a television placed firmly upon its right hand side with drawers having bronze engraved handles that integrated with the wooden dresser. Dearka encircled the room and sat down on the end of the bed turning his head to take in the sight of his new, temporary homestead. His eyes darted in every-which direction and he smiled widely and was mentally screaming at his excitement for having to himself such a large bedroom.
 
“Is it to your pleasing?” Toho asked as she stepped inside and closed the windows partially so the drapes weren't splashed all over the creamy walls.
 
“Yes!” Dearka gasped as he collapsed on the bed, “It's amazing!” Toho smiled, “I'm glad you like it. Is there anything I can get you for the time being?” she asked sweetly, brushing her hair behind her shoulder so it flicked her on her tailbone. Dearka sat up and looked at the ceiling, then gazed at Toho and smiled.
 
“Could you put some stationery on the desk for me?”
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
They left Dearka flicking through the television channels and went down the hallway to Athrun's new room. Cagalli knew where this was leading, Athrun was going to have the guest room that was right beside hers; she knew it. Cagalli knew that fate was going to be a cruel tormenter so that it would place the man she had feelings for in the bed chamber beside hers. Cagalli shut her eyes as she saw the open door coming closer. Eerily, she didn't hear Reyna introduce the room to Athrun, so she peeked through her eyes and saw that they were nearing Kira's room. They stopped at the room beside Kira's. It was located between Kira's room and the bathroom which was connected to Cagalli's bedroom.
 
“This is going to be your room, Mr. Zala, for the time you spend here at Attha Manor. I hope it is pleasing.”
 
Athrun stepped inside the room and Kira and Cagalli stood by the doorway looking in. The room was a wine red and taupe with a queen size bed with a hand woven, feather-down comforter. The window stood in the middle of the southern wall opposite the door with a balcony that overlooked the backyard of the house, gazing outwards at the gardens and grounds of Attha Manor. The drapes were opaque mushroom with fine trimming along the sides. The wooden floor was adorned with a light wine rug that outlined the features of the bed.
 
“This is wonderful,” Athrun said turning to look at Kira and Cagalli. “I've never seen such a marvelous room. Are all the rooms like this?”
 
“More or less,” Reyna said smiling. Athrun nodded, “It's great.”
 
“If there is anything you'll need, Mr. Zala,” Reyna said, “I'm going to be your first-hand maid, so just let me know at any time if you are displeased with anything or if you need something.”
 
“Of course,” he said with a nod of his head.
 
Dearka appeared behind Kira and Cagalli with a wide grin on his tanned face as he gazed into Athrun's new room, “Damn!” he cried, “Your room is as giant as mine! Isn't that awesome?” Cagalli laughed and moved out of the doorway so that Dearka could get inside the room. He circled the room taking in every piece of furniture that his eyes lay upon, making a commentary with each step he took.
 
“We are going to look in every room in this house!” Dearka said excited.
 
“But, there are 36 rooms…” Reyna said wide-eyed.
 
“Yep!” he said smiling, turning to look at Kira and Cagalli, “and we are going in every one!”
 
Cagalli thought anxiously, My room's a mess! I don't want them to see my messy room! I need to clean it! Oh God! And I didn't put my Diary away! It's just lying there!
 
Seeing that all three men were distracted, Cagalli snuck away towards her room and began to hide the things that she didn't want Athrun or Dearka to see. Her Diary that she accidentally left out in the open, she hid underneath her mattress. She adjusted the sheets on her bed and picked up the clothes on the floor and threw them into the laundry hamper in her closet, slamming the sliding closet door behind her. She fixed crooked picture frames along her golden walls with the pale lime trimming. She stared at the picture of her father and smiled, feeling her face grow hot. Not wanting to get too emotion, Cagalli wandered over to her window and opened it, stepping out onto her balcony and - ignoring her two white rocking chairs that stood contrary each other - she leaned against the banister and overlooked the grounds of her home. The small trees that outlined the gazebo first took to Cagalli's attention. The small trunks and the soft, placid green tops. The breeze came and stole her hair away from her face, and made it fly behind her, her bangs tickling her forehead.
 
“Cagalli?”
 
Cagalli turned around and found Athrun standing in the doorway of her room, “What are you doing?” he asked.
 
“Oh,” she said moving away from the balcony and re-entering her room, “nothing. Where's Kira and Dearka?”
 
Athrun smiled and chuckled, “Dearka is examining the size of his room, so Kira is just making sure he doesn't break anything.”
 
Cagalli slightly grinned and nodded her head.
 
“What about you?” he asked.
 
“What about me?” she countered.
 
“Why did you sneak off?”
 
“I didn't sneak off,” she retaliated.
 
“You left without saying anything.”
 
“I don't have to announce everything I do, Athrun,” she said stubbornly. Athrun tilted his head from side to side as if considering her remark.
 
“Everything is ok though, right?” he asked.
 
Cagalli straightened her arms at her sides and stomped her foot, turning towards Athrun, “Why is everybody asking me if I'm ok? Do I not seem ok!”
 
“Well, I wouldn't ask if I didn't think something was bothering you,” he argued, his stormy blue locks frolicking behind him as a breeze swept into the room. His cerulean eyes staring deep into Cagalli's mocha ones. Cagalli broke the eye contact between them by turning her head and crossing her arms,
 
“Yes, Athrun, everything is fine. Nothing is wrong so you can stop worrying.”
 
Cagalli grabbed a book that was resting on her bedside table and walked onto the balcony, plopping down in the rocking chair to the right of the door. She opened the book and placed the book mark on her lap and she began to rock back and forth. Tilting the chair with the tips of her feet.
 
Athrun heard Kira call his name and he left Cagalli's room heading down the hallway towards Kira's room. The door was open and he could see the monochromatic blue of the room. Kira and Dearka greeted him halfway, and Kira shut the door behind him. Dearka greeted him with a comical salute and Kira smiled at him.
 
“Do you want a tour of the grounds?” he asked, leading Athrun and Dearka down the stairs. “Dearka has decided to examine the rooms another time.” Athrun gave a small smile, when his attention was directed to the door to Cagalli's room which was now closed and he mentally shook his head to regain his thoughts.
 
“Sure,” he said slipping his shoes on and following Kira and Dearka outside.
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
-Author's Note-
See? Regular stubborn hard-headed Cagalli, lol! I just wanted to get the whole “welcome to the house” thing done and outta the way. So NOW, I can get on with Lacus and Miriallia. The next chappie is gonna be all about the two girls, so brace yourselves! lol.
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
Let me know by review what you think!
 
Any questions, comments, concerns, let me know via e-mail, forlorn_essence@hotmail.com
P.S - there is an underscore ( _ ) there