Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Days of Drabble ❯ Day7: The Gift of Love ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: I'm stupid tired this evening, so if this one didn't come out as well as I think, I apologize. [Rules for this challenge are in chapter one.]

Day: 7
Date: February 16, 2010
Prompt: inexorable /in-EK-sur-uh-bul; in-EKS-ruh-bul/, adjective: Not to be persuaded or moved by entreaty or prayer; firm; determined; unyielding; unchangeable; inflexible; relentless.
Fandom: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Characters: Duo & Sister Helen
Disclaimer: Bandai, Sotsu and Sunrise own Gundam Wing. I just use the characters for my own amusement and with any luck at all, your amusement as well.


The Gift of Love

"C'mon, please?" The wheedling tone had an edge precision honed to cut through the layers of the toughest of hearts and the small face behind the blade delivered a double whammy of just the right mix of cuteness and desperation. The little hands, clenched so tightly together that their fingertips were turning white, trembled ever so slightly and a tiny whimper escaped to deliver the final blow.

The young woman that the attack had been directed toward gave the small child a warm smile, knelt down to get eye level with the boy and then took his clenched hands in between her own. "Now, Duo, what did we discuss just yesterday?"

The boy puffed out his cheeks in thought and then released his breath with a roll of the eyes, but he tried his extra-special attack once more with the blind hope that this time it would succeed. "Please, Sister?"

Her smile turned a bit sterner. Though she could never be harsh with a child, she knew that to give in to him wouldn't teach him anything. "Duo, answer the question."

Duo resisted the need to cry out his defeat, he didn't like upsetting the sister, even if his plan was shot down. He huffed a breath and then responded. "Th' church can' afford ta feed a mutt. Dogs is like babies an' should be wi' richies."

"Not necessarily 'richies', Duo, but with people who can take care of them. You wouldn't want to give half of your dinner to a dog every night, would you?"

He held up his head. "I woul'n' mind."

"Well, what about Elenor's or Tommy's? A dog needs to eat just like a little boy needs to eat."

That thought he gave a moment to think over. No, he wouldn't want to take someone else's dinner from them. He really wouldn't mind sharing his food with a pet, but he was afraid that Sister Helen was right. There just wasn't enough food for another mouth. There just wasn't. He frowned hard but then found himself surrounded by the warmth of the Sister's arms.

"I'm sorry, Duo. I wish we could keep him, but we just can't."

Duo squeezed back, feeling all the more sad because now the Sister was hurting. "It's okay. Tommy 'n' me, we'll find 'im a place ta live. I'm sorry fer makin' ya cry. I won' do that no more."

Sister Helen patted him on the back and leaned away. The smile she wore was radiant and not diminished at all by her slightly red eyes and tear streamed cheeks. "You are a most precious boy, Duo. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise."

For just a moment, Duo basked in the praise, absorbing it, but he didn't wallow. He knew that feeling wouldn't last forever, he was still so young, but he knew things wouldn't always be good. Everything of worth had its limit, but for now, he'd make sure the Sister remained happy.

He sniffed up his tears and beamed a grin back at her, hoping that his gift would remain with her, at least a little bit, forever.

- End -