Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Days of Drabble ❯ Day 8: Mr. Sandman, Bring Me a Dream ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: This one's unusually odd and features Quatre. Beware of catchy tunes! [Rules for this challenge are in chapter one.]

Day: 8
Date: February 17, 2010
Prompt: hypnagogic /hip-nuh-GOJ-ik; -GOH-jik/, adjective: Of, pertaining to, or occurring in the state of drowsiness preceding sleep.
Fandom: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Characters: Quatre
Disclaimer: Bandai, Sotsu and Sunrise own Gundam Wing. I just use the characters for my own amusement and with any luck at all, your amusement as well.

Warnings: AU, weird in a stupid way (but it should be fun)


Mr. Sandman, Bring Me a Dream

From just inside the doorway of a room shrouded in complete darkness, if one's ears were tuned to the proper frequency, a light tenor could be heard crooning Brahms' lullaby. All of the lyrics were wrong. "Go to sleep. Go to sleep. Go to sleep little baby." There was the sound of a padded footfall. "Go to sleep. Go to sleep. Go to sleepy sleep sleep sleeeeep."

At the center of the room, nestled into the thick down-filled comforter of a very nice bed set, a young man came awake all at once, his senses training immediately on the intruder without so much as a whisper of fabric.

The voice continued after another puff of a footstep. "La la laaaa. La la laaa. La la something, something, some thing."

The young man silently reached beneath his pillow, fingers slipping around a cool steel grip. His other hand reached over to flip on his bedside lamp.

Light drowned the room, illuminating both the intruder and the fact that the young man was awake.

Though startled, the intruder's own momentum forced him to finish his last step which put him cheek to barrel with the young man's weapon. His voice first cracked and then fell completely silent which was probably a good thing since he clearly still couldn't remember the lyrics and had moved on to warbling "watermelon" over and over to his chosen tune.

The young man pressed harder against the intruder's face and was rewarded when both of the intruder's hands shot toward the ceiling. "Who are you and what do you want?" He clicked the safety off. "Better make it good."

The intruder opened his mouth, as if to speak, but nothing came out for more than three heartbeats. "I'm a-" His voice cracked again. He cleared his throat and then continued. "I'm a Sandman. I'm here to make you sleep." He lowered one hand to jiggle a small pouch hanging from a snaffle on the left side of his belt.

The pistol ground even harder into the now-bruising cheek. "Is that some sort of jargon that means you're here to kill me?"

Blue eyes bulged to wide circles. Make that one blue eye bulged; the other was being assaulted by the cheek flesh still being abused. "No. It means that I'm a Sandman here to deliver Sleepsand that will put you to sleep."

The young man nodded. "Right. Permanently, I'll bet."

"No, just regular sleep that you'll wake up from in approximately eight hours. Now, if you'll just let me do my job?"

"I don't think so, Blondie."

"Look just-"

"Nope."

"But-"

"Uh uh."

The Sandman rolled his eyes, exaggerating the expression to distract his client and then began Brahms' lullaby again. Again with all the wrong words, but this time it was accompanied by a bit of magical Sandman willpower that forced his client into that half-way sleeping phase. Before his client got the chance to recover, he thrust his hand into his pouch, withdrew a fistful of glittering blue sand and tossed it over the prone figure.

The young man promptly went limp, his head hitting the over-stuffed pillow, but maintaining his grip on his weapon.

The Sandman rubbed his bruised face and then grinned. "La la la. Mission accom- Mi-ssion a-ccomm-pu-lished! Go me!"

- End -


A/N 2-6: (2) Hey, I said it was weird. XD (3) The first set of lyrics Quatre sang, were the ones I made up to go with it when I was little. I don't know the real lyrics or if there are any at all. (4) The "young man" in this story could really be any of the guys, but it sounds more like Duo than anyone. (It was originally supposed to be Trowa, but he ended up too smart-assy to really be Trowa.) Feel free to interpret that character as you see fit. (5) And lastly, (at least from what I've experienced) watermelon is a common word used to sing a song that you don't know the lyrics to. It's got a nice set of vowels that make it easy to sing. ;P (6) It's a bit longer than drabble-length. Please forgive me.