Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Days of Drabble ❯ Day 9: Grim Reaping ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Duplicity. I really should write this one with Trowa as the main character. I really should. I mean, think about it. He lied his way into OZ. But I didn't, so it's Duo again! [Rules for this challenge are in chapter one.]

Day: 9
Date: February 18, 2010
Prompt: duplicity /doo-PLIS-i-tee, dyoo-/, noun: 1. Deliberate deceptiveness in behavior or speech; also, an instance of deliberate deceptiveness; double-dealing. 2. The quality or state of being twofold or double.
Fandom: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Character: Duo
Disclaimer: Bandai, Sotsu and Sunrise own Gundam Wing. I just use the characters for my own amusement and with any luck at all, your amusement as well.

Warnings: One use of the F-Bomb.


Grim Reaping

"Hands up! Getcher hands up!"

The alleyway was dim and dirty but it wasn't really late enough that Duo really thought there would be muggers about. It was noon for crying out loud. Shouldn't they still be sleeping?

His assailant was a nasty little man with sunken eyes that made his face appear almost like a skull and had hands with long, boney fingers that looked too big in relation to the rest of his body.

Great, just great. He was being mugged by a munchkin version of the Grim Reaper. Was this Fate's way of delivering his comeuppance for assuming the role of Shinigami to begin with?

He slowly spread his hands just a couple of feet apart, not more than a few inches from his sides. "Listen, mister, you really don't want to do this."

Midget Death waved his hardware-store jack knife in what was supposed to be a threatening manner. "Shut up and hand over your wallet!"

Now, that the attacker had gotten out a somewhat lengthier sentence, Duo discovered that even the dry, raspy voice sounded as if it were near death. "Seriously, man. Last chance." He kept the warning calm, the creepy little guy was agitated enough that he didn't need any more encouragement.

"Shut up!" The knife flashed in two quick thrusts in Duo's general direction. "I said shut the fuck up!"

Right, then. No help for it. "Right, man. You got it." He held out one hand toward the mugger and reached for his jacket with the other. "I'm just getting my wallet."

Those hollow eyes fixed on the hand reaching into Duo's jacket. They completely missed the foot arcing up to smash into the side of the head they resided in. The undead Oompa Loompa went down like a bag of bones.

Duo kicked the knife off into a pile of refuse, put his hands in his pockets and squatted down. The crumpled form was completely unconscious and had a purple bruise spreading out from its temple. Duo freed one hand to check for a pulse and then finding one, wiped his fingers on the back of his pants, stood and continued on down the alley.

- End -


A/N 2: This prompt reminded me of the scene in Trigun where Vash uses his finger hidden in his pocket to fool a bank robber into believing he had a gun and then Frank did the same thing to the back of the same robber's head. I was aiming for something similar to that, but it didn't quite work out. I did notice about halfway through that I could use the second definition of duplicity (and the whole two Deaths thing) to make this prompt work. That's my ingenious subconscious at work! *pats subconscious affectionately*