Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Bohemian Rhapsady ❯ Movement Twenty-One ( Chapter 21 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Bohemian Rhapsody

By Devon Masterson

Movement Twenty-one

Aoi37@hotmail.com

"Vicky," Faith cried as she embraced her younger sister, "I'm so glad you made it!"

She always hated the childhood nickname, but now was the time to pout and proclaim that she was an adult with a child. Their treatment of her was the reason she visited them rarely or none at all. "How is she?" Victoria asked as she moved towards the staircase. Faith followed after her.

"Her fever is still high," Faith answered, "but it has come down some but I'm still worried. She's mumbling in her sleep and talking about things that don't make sense. She keeps calling for you and Christoff."

Victoria paused on the first step. She did not recall knowing anyone by that name but it seemed familiar. Perhaps he was an acquaintance of her mother's during her time away from home. "Christoff?" Faith lowered her eyes. "Who is Christoff?"

"I'll be in the other room," Duo remarked instinctively. Even though he felt a strong connection with the Countess, he still knew that he was not privy to all of her affairs. He would learn what he needed to know later.

"Why don't you go up?" Victoria suggested. "I need to have a discussion with some of my siblings. Her room is at the end of the hall."

A look of gratefulness passed over his violet eyes before he nodded then started up the stairs. She had judged correctly sending him upstairs. It was amazing the secrets that he still hid even from someone he was comfortable around. She always knew that he enjoyed her mother's company. He ended up spending a lot of time with her while Victoria was pregnant. It was she and Quatre that spent the most time hiding from her.

She noted the look that graced her sister's features. "She grew quite fond of him while she visited me. She sees him as an adoptive son," she explained briefly then her expression changed to one of all business. "Now who is Christoff."

Faith gave her a look, whether it was surprise or shock one will never know. "I guess you were too young to remember," she replied wringing her hands nervously. She had never seen her little sister look so serious. It was quite intimidating, just like the Countess's look when she was serious about something. "Fritz is better at explaining it." She grabbed Victoria's hand and pulled her into the parlor then shut the door.

Victoria was growing quite annoyed at this secrecy. She hated being ill prepared and with the situation being as it was she on the verge of losing her temper. She did not have time for a long song and dance, this was their mother they were talking about. "Who is Christoff?" she asked. "And before you tell start to stall, I will say this I am not in the mood for games."

Fritz nodded and the others looked shocked. "I can see why you were head of the Preventers, Victoria," he commented as he stood by the window, "but you're still my little sister…"

"To the point!" she commanded.

"Christoff is our brother," he answered, "in particular your little brother."

%%%

Duo stood in front of the door and sighed. The last time someone that he cared about was sick, he ended up alone. He did not want to see that happen again. Part of him wanted to walk the other way and never turn back. "Me leaving them behind is how I lost them last time. I can't do it again. I have to face this so I can at least say good-bye this time. "

He turned the knob and walked inside. The nurse looked up from her patient and smiled. "Are you a friend or family member?"

"I'm a friend," he answered.

"She's asleep right now," she said lowly. "Her fever has gone down quite a bit, but it's still a little high. Do you happen to know if Lady Victoria has arrived yet?"

"She's downstairs," he replied.

"I need to speak with her and the family. Would mind staying with her for a few moments?" she asked.

Duo shook his head and sat in the chair beside the bed. He sighed as watched the older woman breathe in and out somewhat peacefully. Beads of sweat formed on her brow as she shifted in her sleep. Apparently, she was having some sort of nightmare caused by the fever. "She doesn't look too bad," he thought, "maybe she'll be okay." He touched her hand tenderly. "Hey, Mom, you got get better so we can educate Quatre on the finer points of cinema, besides I know you want to see Vic and Heero finally get married. Hell, you gotta see me get hitched; you know that will be the event of the century. Of course, it will take some time to find a girl who can tame this stallion, but you never know."

In response to his voice, the Countess opened her eyes and smiled. "Christoff," she sighed. "I'm glad you came to see me. I miss you."

Violet eyes widened. "I'm not…"

"You do forgive me for getting sick and losing you don't you?" she asked grabbing his arm. "Please don't say you hate me for not being strong enough to deliver you properly."

"I..I forgive you," he said tenderly.

She smiled and touched his face. "You turned out so well, so very handsome."

"Get some rest, you have to get better."

She lay back down and closed her eyes. "Thank you, sweetheart," she sighed as she drifted off to sleep.

%%%

Victoria's eyes widened. "What?"

Fritz sighed. "He was born when you were three years old."

"Why am I now just hearing about this?"

Sorrowful green eyes scanned the room then finally rested on agitated brown ones. "He died shortly after he was born. Mother fell ill and developed a high fever. She went into labor early."

She remembered something vague about their mother being sick which was consistent with the facts about her being only three. There seemed to be more to the story that Fritz was not telling, something in how he looked around the room before he told the story. It was almost like there might be some hidden details that he was debating on whether or not to share. "I see," she replied.

"Don't be mad at Fritz," Faith said as she hugged Victoria. "You were so young and didn't remember so we figured that it was the best."

"Mother did not want us to burden you the loss," Eva added, "but we should have trusted you, Vicky… I mean Victoria."

Victoria sighed she knew she might hate herself for this later. "Vicky," she corrected.

Eva and the rest of her brothers and sisters smiled. Victoria smiled as well for their benefit then turned towards her brother. "Fritz, can we speak in the hall?"

He nodded. He figured she picked up on his look of concern as he spoke in front of their siblings. Being the oldest made him the bearer of burdens, burdens that even a young man should not have. Victoria would understand given all that she went through in the war. He never would have figured that his little sister would be one of the instruments of peace and fiercest officer that Earth had to offer, but then even as a child she always amazed him. If she were not so serious, she would just like their mother in every respect, but their mother was as playful as she was intense. She managed intimidation and good-naturedness so well it was frightening.

"You know don't you?" he asked as they shut the parlor doors.

She expected there was more. "Christoff didn't die did he?"

Fritz shook his head. "He was taken by some of father's enemies. We had everyone searching for him, but there was no trace of him. "Father could not bare to tell mother that he failed her so he told her that he passed during the night. Only you and Faith don't know the complete truth being the youngest."

Victoria put her hand to the bridge of her nose. This was a most trying day. She could not believe her father could do something so cowardly, by taking the easy way out he left the family to deal with an even harsher fate. "What is done is done. We have to focus on the present."

"Lord Fritz," the nurse interrupted.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked excitedly.

"Everything is fine, my lord," she replied calming him down. "I just wanted to let you know that her temperature has come down even more and I believe that she will be fine."

"That is good news," he replied then turned toward his sister. "This is Lady Victoria."

The nurse nodded respectfully. "She has been asking for you, my lady. She talks about you quite a bit, you and Christoff. I thought the young man with the beautiful eyes and long braid might have been him, but he said he was just a friend of the family. He looked just like the description of Christoff though. I must have been mistaken. "

Fritz eyes widened and Victoria took control of the situation. "Don't mention anything about Christoff to anyone else including my brothers and sisters, understand?"

"Yes, my lady," the nurse said reverently then left to check up on her patient.

Victoria turned towards Fritz once the nurse was gone. "This is between us."

"You don't think that he's…"

"There's a lot about Duo that even he does not know. He's been on his own since he was a baby. It could be just the Countess's delirium. She has taken to him quite strongly and he is around the age Christoff would be. I will be in contact." She walked away and started up the stairs leaving her brother standing in the foyer.

He had been right to tell Victoria. She was much better suited in dealing with such matters. He was tired. "She really is just like mother…"

%%%

Victoria sat at her laptop looking over information. Andrea slept in a crib undisturbed as she continued with her research. A gentle knockdiverted her attention momentarily. It was probably Fritz wanting to know what she had found out so far. "Come in," she said softly not looking up from her computer. The door opened and she heard familiar almost silent footfalls. "Heero." She pushed the screen down on the laptop. "I'm surprised that you came."

"I was worried," he said simply.

"I'm…sorry to make you worry. I was going to call you and let you know where we were," she replied as she stood. "I didn't want to bother you."

"You don't bother me."

Victoria ran her hands through hair nervously. There had been plenty of times where they were in the same room alone, but for some reason it seemed different this time. She needed to focus on something else. "I need advice."

Father Figure by George Michael

© 2002 Devon Masterson

Another Bond Girl Production

I think we all know who belongs to who, Gundam Wing belongs to a whole bunch of rich influential people. I just do this for fun. Everybody knows med/grad school candidates don't have money so suing me if pointless.