Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Getting to Know You ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Jacinda left, the three boys looked at each other unsure of what to do. Duo decided to speak first.
 
“Well at least we know where we are.” He said.
 
“But how do you know she's telling the truth.” Wufie asked. “For all we know this village could be some OZ compound.”
 
“But then why patch us up?” Trowa asked beginning to feel quite weary. “OZ would just let us suffer. Unless they have done something to us?”
 
The boys shivered at that thought wondering if some crazy medical experiments had been done to them while they had been unconscious.
 
“There was a man here before.” Wufie said. “When I first woke up, he was hanging over me checking my heart beat. He looked like an old drunk…and smelled like one too. Maybe he is the one in charge of everything. I don't know…but I think we should try to get out of here as fast as we can.”
 
“But we can't leave Quatre and Heero behind.” Trowa said. “With them unconscious and us being in the states we are, escape would be really hard.”
 
Duo meanwhile sat and thought.
 
“Then we have no choice.” He said after awhile. “We just have to stay on our guard. We've kicked OZ's butt in tougher situations…who says we can't now?”
 
They interrupted by the door opening and the woman named Jacinda and another woman behind her walked in carrying trays of food.
 
“Good you all are still awake!” She said happily. “Now whose hungry?”
 
They didn't respond as she and the other woman brought their food over, setting a tray down in each of their laps. On the trays were just bowls of broth, some crackers and water.
 
“Sorry it's not a very big meal.” She said to Wufie. “But it's the only things that should be easy on your stomachs as you heal from the surgeries. Anesthetics can have nasty side effects after all.”
 
The boys looked down at the food. It was the first meal they had had in nearly twenty four hours and they were famished. But their soldier instincts made them wonder if there was some sort of poison or drug in the food.
 
Jacinda could see the unsure looks on their faces and wondered if it was too soon for food…maybe they still weren't feeling up to it. But when she heard the low rumbles from their empty stomachs she suddenly got the hint.
 
“Oh...I see.” She said and turned to the portly woman behind. “Sheva can you grab me a tray of the same food as well and three extra spoons please?”
 
The woman nodded and downstairs she went. Jacinda meanwhile took up her rocking chair again.
 
“I guess I have to prove to you that you guys aren't in any danger.” She said smiling. Sheva returned with the tray a few minutes later and Jacinda stood up once more. Walking over to Trowa's tray she took one of the spare spoons and took a hearty spoonful of his broth. She took a sip.
 
“Ahh…that's good.” She said. Sheva made her special herbed chicken broth with ginger. Its really great, especially when you are sick.”
 
She walked over to Wufie's and Duo's and did the same thing with their broths with the two other spoons. She also took a cracker off of each plate and ate one. Then she grabbed some water from the pitcher Sheva had poured their glasses from and took a sip.
 
“There.” She said satisfied. “Now…hopefully I have proven to you all that I am not some crazy woman who goes and poisons or drugs teenage boys. But since I am not sure I have convinced you I am going to sit right here and eat my own lunch. It's the exact same thing you all have and you're welcome to have a spoonful from my bowl if you need to rest your minds. Just tell me and I will come right over with my bowl.
 
She parked herself in her rocking chair and began to eat. The boys just looked at each other and Duo shrugged. Carefully he took a sip of the broth from his bowl and his eyes widened. It was quite good and he continued to eat it. Wufie and Trowa looked on and seeing their fried scarf down the soup made them believe it might be okay. They tentatively took their spoonfuls and then found themselves also indulging in the small meal. Jacinda's smile was a mile wide.
 
When they finished Jacinda took their trays and put them by the sides of their beds. She then poked her head out the door and hollered downstairs. A few minutes later three people appeared. One was carrying some clothes, another was picking up the empty trays, and the other Wufie recognized as the old boozy codger.
 
“Guys…this is Siero…Sabra…and Dr. Baynor Ridge.” Jacinda said pointing out to each person. Dr. Ridge was the one who operated on you. Sabra is just here to get your trays and Siero has brought you some clothes since the next couple nights look like they may be chilly. They are just loose shirts and some boxer shorts since they are easy to get on off when we examine you, but should keep you nice and warm.”
 
Wufie just glared at the doctor. Jacinda noticed.
 
“Sweetie, what's wrong?” She asked. Ridge just laughed.

“It appears I have not made a good impression with that lad.” He said. “I guess I should have watched my mouth better.”
 
Jacinda rolled her eyes.
 
“He said something quite annoying didn't he?” She asked Wufie. Wufie just narrowed his eyes and Jacinda yanked Ridge's ear.
 
“What have I told you about keeping your dumb jokes to a minimum when we have wounded!” She said. “Chances are you embarrassed the poor guy!”
Wufie became offended.
 
“He did not embarrass me!” He argued. “On the contrary, I would have rather given him my two cents. He reeks of alcohol and has a terrible manner. I can't believe anyone like that would be given the title of doctor.”
 
Jacinda raised her eyebrows.
 
“Well that's the most I have heard out of you all day!” She said laughing. “And yes my dear he is an old drunk.”
 
“Hey!” Ridge yelled and felt his ear tugged on some more.
 
“But his skill as a doctor are reputable and you guys owe your lives to him.” She said. “However, you are right…he has a filthy mouth and a love affair with liquor…it will bite him in the ass someday.”
 
“Hopefully soon.” Wufie muttered under his breath.
 
Jacinda laughed again and released Ridge's ear. Insulted he left the room to go and sulk.
 
“Well you are a critical one.” She said looking down at Wufie.
 
“Yup…that's Wuffers for ya.” Duo said.
 
“Wuffers?” Jacinda asked. “Is that your name?”
 
Duo started laughing though Wufie went red in the face.
 
“NO IT IS NOT!” He bellowed. “Maxwell…for the last time..it's Wufie, Wufie…not your ridiculous nicknames!”
“Maxwell?” She turned to Duo. He grinned.
 
“Yup, Duo Maxwell.” He said. “That's me.”
 
Jacinda was glad the boys felt somewhat comfortable introducing themselves. She looked over at Trowa who was now surprisingly, sleeping. Even through Wufie's tirade he had dozed off.
 
“And who's this one, if I may ask.” She said pointing down at him.
 
“That's Trowa Barton.” Duo said as Serio handed him some clothes. “And that there is Heero Yuy on my right and Quatre Winner on my left. His heart fell as he saw that neither boy had woken up.”
 
“Hey…uhh…lady…are they okay?” He asked. “They still haven't woken up and its been a long time.”
 
Jacinda looked up at Quatre and Heero's beds and decided to check them out. First she looked over at Quatre. After a quick examination she sighed in relief.
 
“I'm happy to say that this one seems to be okay.” She said. “I don't know what he will feel like when he gets up. Chances are his throat is going be torturing him for awhile and he will still be vulnerable to infections, but it looks like he sleeping comfortably now.”
 
She gave Quatre's face a warm stroke then walked over to Heero's bed.
 
“Alright then.” She said. “Let's check that head wound.”
 
She removed the adhesive from spot where they had operated on and checked on the wound. Seeing that stitching was holding nicely and there was no sign of infection, she cleaned the wound and put a new adhesive on it. After checking his breathing and heart rate, she reached over to tuck him in more comfortably.
 
The next thing she knew her wrist felt like it was in a vice and she was staring back at two very deep blue fierce eyes.