Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ The Beginning of the Truth ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was horrifying to Jacinda as she sat there realizing that the boy talked about in the diary was Duo. And that boy was here…at her house in Cache du Monde. Jacinda felt as if a truck had hit her. But she knew she had no choice.
 
“I have to tell him.” She said aloud. Siero looked up at her worriedly.
 
“Are you sure Jacinda?” He said. “Maybe its better to just let it be. They won't be here much longer anyway and we don't know how he will react. He IS a Gundam pilot after all, he's trained to kill.”
 
Jacinda shook her head.
 
“He's still a boy.” She said. “And he lost his family. Their blood on his hands is also my blood.”
 
Siero sighed.
 
“Jacinda it wasn't your fault.” He said. “You had nothing to do with it.”
 
“I did.” She said. “And the time has come. Now I have a mission.”
 
“What's going on in here?” A voice interrupted.
 
Jacinda and Siero looked up to see Heero standing in the doorway.
 
“Heero.” Siero said while Jacinda immediately tried to fix herself.
 
“Oh, Heero sweetheart….” She started.
 
“Why are you crying?” He asked looking straight at her.
 
“Oh no, I wasn't…”
 
“You were, your face is all red and why is your room a mess?”
 
Before Jacinda could answer thumps could be heard going up the stairs.
 
“Heero did you find Jacinda!” Quatre immediately appeared. He gasped.
 
“Ms. Jacinda!” He exclaimed. “Are you okay?”
Soon enough the three other pilots appeared though Jacinda could barely bring herself to look at Duo.
 
“And everyone says I am the pig!” He said. “What went on in here!?”
 
“You've been crying.” Wufei pointed out.
 
Jacinda turned her head away immediately trying to clean up the mess in her closet.
 
“Oh hey guys, no worries.” Siero said. “Where's Bastian?”
 
“He and Selwyn are taking a nap under the maple tree.” Trowa said. “So we decided to come in and help.”
 
“And you are lying.” Heero said sternly to Jacinda. “What's going on?”
 
Jacinda sighed as she tried to gather her composure.
 
“I'm…I'm fine.” She said. “I just…got some dust in my face while I was cleaning.”
 
“Hey now Jacinda, if something is wrong we want to help you!” Duo piped in. She looked up at his innocent face. “After all, you've done a lot for us.”
 
At that moment Jacinda just wanted to wrap her arms around Duo. How could this boy so strong after all that had happened to him. How could still smile and find joy after all the tragedy. She looked at all the boys and realized, no she couldn't hide it anymore.
 
She turned to Siero.
 
“Siero, go take Bastian and Selwyn to Rasha's house; she's Hester's mother. Then do me a favor and check in with Dr. Ridge. He needs some assistance getting things in order when he goes to barter.”
 
Siero was unsure he wanted to leave Jacinda's side.
 
“Please Siero.” She pleaded. Then she turned to the pilots. “Boys, go on downstairs to the living room. There are some things I need to discuss with you, especially you Duo.”
 
Duo's eyes shot up.
 
“Me?” He said. “What do you mean?”
Jacinda shook her head.
 
“Just go on downstairs and I will join you shortly.”
 
With that the boys and Siero nervously left room. Jacinda meanwhile gathered the journal that was at her feet. Then approaching another drawer she pulled out a smaller item.
 
“I doubt he will forgive us.” She whispered. “But I will do my best to explain our intentions.”
 
The pilots nervously sat in the living room. Well, sat, paced, then sat down again. Jacinda was acting strangely and they didn't like it one bit.
 
“What do you think she meant when she said `me'?” Duo asked. “It's driving me nuts!”
 
“Duo try to relax.” Quatre said.
 
“I can't!” He said. “Why me!?”
 
Heero finally got annoyed. He grabbed Duo by the arm and pulled him down next to him.
 
“Then sit down, shut up, and calm yourself.” He said. “She'll tell us!”
 
Duo just sighed pretending the feel of Heero's firm, but soft grip on his arm wasn't sending tremors to his heart.
 
Moments later Jacinda came walking quietly down the stairs. The boys turned and saw while she no longer had tears in her eyes, her face was tight and worn. She was holding a book and a small box in her hand. Staring at them momentarily she walked into the living room and took a seat in front of them.
 
“So what's this all about?” Wufei asked.
 
Jacinda sighed.
 
“A lot.” She said. “A lot that I didn't even realize until just a few minutes ago that I thought was meaningless.”
 
“So tell us already!” Duo nearly yelled. Jacinda could see the worried look in his violet eyes and decided no more stalling.
 
“As you guys know, I had said that in this village I would hope to give you peace of mind as well as body. You have all seen so much that you shouldn't have that I just wanted to give you all some time to really enjoy being who you are. For once you are not soldiers in a way, but you are also young men. Young men who should be doing what normal young men do like go to school, flirt with girls, play sports that sort of thing. I was hoping to give you that kind of peace you deserved.”
 
“And you have Ms. Jacinda.” Quatre answered. “You have given us so much that we are grateful for.”
 
“No I haven't.” She said. “Because there was one thing I didn't give you…honesty.”
 
The pilots felt their throats tighten.
 
“Now, before I say this, I want you to know that I am no longer the person I once was. I am for peace just as much as you are and not the way OZ has displayed it.”
 
She took a breath.
 
“A couple of years ago….I were a soldier….in the Alliance. I was an OZ.”