Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Jacinda's Past ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

For minutes no one could speak. Jacinda had already braced herself for an onslaught. She knew she deserved it for being keeping it a secret, possibly betraying their trust.
 
Finally someone spoke up.
 
“You…you're OZ?” Quatre tried to stammer.
 
“Was.” Jacinda looked straight at them. “I was an OZ member. It was many years ago.”
 
“What difference does that make?” Wufei asked sternly.
 
“A lot.” Jacinda answered. “I told you before I support you and your plight against the Alliance for whatever reasons you may have and I still stand by that. I may have started an OZ, but I will never be a part of them again. Like you…I had my own reasons as to why I joined…and why I left.”
 
“Tell us.” Heero said not so subtly.
 
Jacinda nodded.
 
“When I was about your age, maybe a little younger, the Alliance was still fledgling and looking for volunteers. Their propaganda was everywhere and so strong there was hardly anyone who didn't want to be a part of it. I applied, went through their assessments and was brought in. Heh…my family was so proud.”
 
She made a sad smile then continued.
 
“I was educated like I would be had I attended a regular high school, but I was educated like a soldier in an army would be like physical, mechanics, and weapons training. My skills in science and math were thought to be exceptional and I was asked to join the medical program. I not only learned how to care for soldiers who were injured or ill, but I was also part of medical experimentation.”
 
Jacinda sighed.
 
“I guess you could say I was brainwashed. I thought everything we were doing was honestly for peace. I wasn't out on the field much, but I did receive high points in marksmanship and I did end up taking a few lives, lives that I regret taking today. I was told that they were just insurgents, meaningless rebels that were thwarting our plans for peace.”
 
The pilots just watched her with wide eyes, still silent as can be.
 
“It was there that I met up with an old friend. He too had joined the Alliance around the same time I did, but we were in different areas. He spent more time in the military sector of OZ whereas I became more involved in the medical. He was a truly wonderful person.”
 
“What is his name?” Trowa whispered.
 
Jacinda looked up at him with glassy eyes.
 
“Grannos.” She said. “Cebastion Grannos.”
 
“The one…your son…” Wufei said.
 
Jacinda nodded.
 
“Bastian's namesake.” She said. “Cebastion and I had known each other from very early on. We were good friends as children and when we found each other again in the Alliance, it was like we were kids again. We didn't see each other much, but when we did…it was beautiful. Like the ugly war that was imminent wasn't there, it was just him and me. So of course, after awhile our friendship turned into something much deeper. We fell in love and that love made us even more determined to fight for peace. Cebastion of course was proud that I had wanted to become a doctor for the Alliance and was already moving on ahead. I received my nursing license just after I turned 18. He was had become quite the soldier and was often told he was on his way to commander.”
 
Jacinda then looked over at Duo.
 
“Then came the day our lives would change forever.”
 
A few years earlier
 
Inside the pristine white medical ward, twenty two year old Jacinda was busy staring into a microscope. It was a dead sample of the virus that had taken many lives on colony L2 a few years back. Jacinda wanted to look it over and research it for a medical paper she was to submit to the head of the hospital. She wanted to see if a vaccine could be produced so that in case of another epidemic lives, especially lives of children, could be saved. Finally taking her eye off the microscope she removed her glasses and rubbed her worn eyes.
 
Just then the double doors burst open and Jacinda looked up to see Cebastion grinning from ear to ear, his brown eyes glittering with excitement.
 
“Guess whose being deployed!” He exclaimed happily.
 
Jacinda smirked and rolled her eyes.
 
“Gee, I am stumped, give me a hint!” She said.
 
Cebastion pouted.
 
“I would if I had the time!” He said jogging over to her and placing a kiss on her cheek. “I've been called to L2!”
 
“L2?” Jacinda asked. “Why there of all places?”
 
Cebastion shrugged.
 
“Just some dumb rebels decided that they wanted to throw tantrum. Nothing we can't handle. Child's play really!”
 
“Uh huh.” Jacinda answered. “Well regardless please be careful! Because if you get hurt don't expect me to treat you.”
 
“Aw and why not?” He asked.
 
“Cebastion, you whine and cry when you have a cold.” She said. “And also your comrades like to take risks and dare each other. So help me if I find out that is what happened I will send Nurse Kraus to take care of you.”
 
Cebastion shuddered.
 
“Oh dear God, Nurse Kraus!?” He yelled. “That woman still hasn't retired that old prune!”
 
“I hear she has quite the way with a needle and a sponge bath.”
 
The man sighed.
 
“Alright Nurse Jacinda, I will heed your advice and be careful, but when I get back…”
 
He took Jacinda's hands and lifted her to her feet.
 
“I expect compensation.”
 
Jacinda glared at him as he wrapped his arms around her.
 
“Like what?”
 
“Like, you and me, a picnic under the stars and the moonlight outside the compound?”
 
Jacinda smiled, but gave him a look.
 
“I promise I will even spring for a nicer meal then just mess hall food.” He said. Trust me after a stay on L2 I think my stomach will probably need a little TLC.”
 
“I suppose it would.” Jacinda said with a laugh. “Alright Private Grannos, I will take you up on your offer. Just please, don't get hurt.”
 
“I will.” He said as kissed her lips. “I promise to come back to you in one piece and ready to have you in my lonely arms once again.”
 
Jacinda shook her head as he kissed her once again.
 
“I'll be back soon!” He said. “I love you.”
 
“I love you too.” Jacinda answered and off he went.
 
Back to the present
 
“What Cebastion didn't anticipate was where the battle on L2 was going to take place and that it didn't involve just rebels…and…this is where it affects you Duo.”
 
“What…” He answered.
 
“Cebastion was one of the men commanded to destroy the rebel base. And that base was at a church.”
 
Duo looked at Jacinda in horror.
 
“No…”
 
She nodded.
 
“And that church was run by a priest who also headed an orphanage.”
She looked at Duo right into his eyes.
 
“Father Maxwell's Orphanage.”
 
And once again the room plunged into silence.