Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ The Heart of the Matter ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You're being an idiot!”
 
“It's none of your damn business anyway!”
 
“The woman is running herself ragged worried about you, the least you could do is talk to her!”
 
“I said I am not ready yet!”
 
“Then you are just a damn coward!”
 
It had been a few days since the incident and the pilots were all wearing thin. Their Gundams were still in dire need of extensive repair and without much to go on without barters from Dr. Ridge it was delaying them in their departure. Plus the villagers were starting to worry about Jacinda and conveying their worry that she was looking rather tired. Bastian as well was missing Duo and started getting upset when Duo wasn't around for him to play with. Needless to say the stress had reached a boiling point when Wufei and Duo got into it when their supplies started running low and the argument had turned from who should get what to the heart of the matter.
 
“Guys we shouldn't argue.” Quatre said. “I can share some of my wiring. I don't need that much.”
 
“That's not the point Winner.” Wufei said. “The point is Maxwell is behaving like a spoiled child and needs to grow up!”
“Oh excuse me, I am sorry that not everyone is like the always mature Chang Wufei!” Duo yelled. “Cut the high and mighty crap! You are just like the rest of us!”
 
“Except I wouldn't let it affect people around me!” He yelled. “I face the issue head on instead of running with my tail between my legs.”
 
“Quit calling me a coward!”
 
“Then quit acting like one!”
 
“I'm getting a headache.” Trowa said.
 
Quatre turned to Trowa worriedly.
 
“Maybe you should head back a little early.” Quatre said approaching the circus clown. “Jacinda did say you were going to be prone to a few headaches after your injury.”
 
And once again, all through this Heero sat by the tree and read.
 
I don't believe it! She said yes!! WAHOOO!!! And after this stupid mission, Jacinda and I are getting out of here, getting married, and I swear we are going to scour every dang colony until we find him. I promise you kid, we are coming!!
 
Heero smiled a little.
 
“Take it back Chang I mean it!”
 
“It's the truth.”
 
“Take it back!!”
 
“I won't! You are not fit to pilot your Suit! You should just set that thing to self-destruct and hide yourself away somewhere! If you can't handle something like then your Gundam is better off in a million pieces!!”
 
That did it. Duo gave Wufei a hard push and the boy fell backwards hard into a tree. Wufei snarled and did the same to Duo. Within seconds the two were on the ground with fists flying!!
 
“You American miscreant!” Wufei yelled as he kneed Duo in the chest.
 
“I'll show you!” Duo yelled defending his beloved Gundam.
 
Immediately Trowa and Quatre were in the thick of it trying to break them apart. Heero ran over once the fight started, but immediately Trowa and Quatre had been able to grab a hold of the two before he could step in
 
“GUYS STOP THIS ISN'T RIGHT!!” Quatre yelled as he grabbed onto Wufei.
 
“YOU BOTH ARE BEING RIDICULOUS!” As Trowa got a hold of Duo.
 
Both boys were breathing hard, slightly cut up and bruised, and covered in dirt as Quatre and Trowa held them tightly apart.
 
“Look we are just worn out.” Quatre said. “But we shouldn't be fighting with each other about it. It's not going to make things any better.”
 
“Quatre's right and you know it you two.” Trowa said. “There is no point in all of this!”
 
Duo and Wufei broke free from Trowa and Quatre. With a growl Duo turned and headed back to Deathscythe. Wufei did the same and went back to Shenlong. Quatre, Trowa and Heero looked on helplessly.
 
When they got home that night and Jacinda saw Wufei, she immediately made him sit down as she tended to his wounds, whether he liked it or not.
 
“You guys shouldn't have fought like that.” Jacinda said as she dabbed some antiseptic on Wufei's lip. “It's bad enough you have to fight in this war.”
 
“So why are you letting him affect you?” Wufei asked curtly. “We are not blind, we see the dark circles under your eyes.”
 
Jacinda frowned as she put a band-aid on his eyebrow.
 
“I've just had some insomnia that's all.” She said.
 
“Because you are worried about that idiot!” Wufei snarled.
 
Jacinda sighed.
 
“Here put this on your cheek.” She said handing him an icepack and then turning back to the oven. “Go wash up all of you, dinner will be ready soon.”
 
“You're just as bad as he is, not telling him how you feel!” Wufei yelled. He was fed up of all of this. Someone had to be the adult and unfortunately, it couldn't be him this time.
 
When it was Bastian's bedtime Jacinda did her usual routine. She tucked him in with his bunny, read him a book, and sang him his song.
 
“Good night sweetheart, I love you.” She said giving him a kiss on the forehead.
 
“Mama?” Bastian asked looking up at her.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Does Duo not like me anymore?”
 
Jacinda's heart fell.
 
“Not at all baby.” She exclaimed. “What would give you such an idea?”
 
“Cuz he never here. He played with me, but now he never comes to see me.”
 
Bastian's eyes became watery as Jacinda gathered him up in her arms and held him tight.
 
“Duo is not mad at you at all.” She said quietly. “He likes you very much. His…his heart hurts right now.”
 
“Why?” Bastian asked.
 
Jacinda sighed.
 
“Duo found out something and it made him sad. So right now, he needs to just to be alone so he can get better.”
 
“Can't you make it better Mama?” Bastian asked looking up at her. “Mama makes everyone feel better.”
 
Jacinda smiled as she stroked his hair.
 
“This is something…Mama wishes she can fix.” She said. “But its also something Duo has to fix on his own. But…Mama will be right there if he needs me.”
 
“And me too!” Bastian said.
 
“That would make him very happy.” Jacinda said with a smile. “But don't think for a moment that Duo is mad at you because he isn't. He likes you, just like Quatre, Trowa, Wufei and Heero do too.”
 
Bastian smiled through a yawn. Jacinda laid him back down and tucked him in again.
 
“I only wish Duo could have heard you Bastian.” She thought as she watched her son fall asleep. “I know he wouldn't want to see you like this either.”
 
What they didn't know was that Heero who had just left the bathroom, had heard the whole thing.
 
 
When Heero went out to see Duo that night, he really did not know what to expect. When he got to the site, he was surprised not to see Duo in his usual spot, atop Deathsycthe.
 
“Maxwell?” He called loudly. “You here?”
 
The sounds of rustling set Heero up for attack, but he settled when he saw Duo shirtless, come out slightly damp, holding his shirt in his hand. His face was slightly banged up.
 
“Hey Heero.” He said. “Didn't want to be a complete mess when you came to see me, so I took a quick rinse in the stream.”
 
“Oh.” Heero said pretending he didn't notice Duo's bare chest. He had seen Duo in various states of undress before. Why was it bothering him now?
 
“I actually didn't think you would after what happened with `Fei and all.” Duo said approaching him. “We both acted pretty dumb I guess.”
 
“Yes, you both did.” Heero said handing him his dinner.
 
“I know.” Duo said. “Umm…is it true what he said about Jacinda?”
 
Heero shrugged.
 
“She does seem quite worn out.” He said. “Maybe its time you both dealt with it.”
 
Duo sighed.
 
“I know.” He said. “But what do I say you know? I mean…it still hurts.”
 
“Then tell her just that.” Heero said. “It's better than avoiding each other. And besides, Bastian misses you too very much.”
 
Duo looked over at him
 
“Eh, he's just a kid, he'll get over it.”
 
“That's far from the truth, its eating at him. He's actually been crying for you.”
 
Duo sat down on the ground and slipped back on his shirt.
 
“I just don't know what to do.” He said. “Every time I try to find reason with this, I keep getting so mad. The scene keeps playing over and over again in my head. Even when I try to sleep I keep seeing the orphanage and Father Maxwell and Sister Helen. I see them all die and I guess it makes me even angrier that someone was too chicken to stop it.”
 
Heero sat down next to him.
 
“Cebastion really wanted to make it up to you.” He said. “Jacinda did not make that up.”
 
He pulled out a book from his pocket and showed it to Duo.
 
“I've been reading his journal.” Heero said. “And I think you should too.”
 
Duo looked down at the book and then looked at Heero. Looking into those blue eyes told him Heero was being sincere. He took the book from Heero and just examined it.
 
“I'm almost afraid of what I might read in here.”
 
“You won't know until you do.”
 
Duo looked up at Heero once more.
 
“Thanks Yuy.” He said.
 
Duo sighed.
 
“Well since we are giving each other presents, I guess I should give you one too.” He said happily. “Wait here!”
 
Duo then scrambled up and disappeared on Deathscythe.
 
“Check out what I found!” He hollered and then next thing Heero knew, a round object came flying out from the Gundam. Heero caught it…with his head.
 
“Gah!” He hollered as the object bounced to the ground.
 
“Whups did I get ya!” Duo yelled. “Sorry about that.”
 
“Mm.” Heero rubbed his head and looked down to see what had hit him. It was a soccer ball.
 
“I forgot I had swiped that from our very first undercover mission together!” Duo said as he climbed off Deathscythe. Remember when we were at that hoity toity school with Relena and we played and kicked that other team's butt!
 
Heero picked up the ball.
 
“Yeah, I do actually.”
 
“You had awesome moves!” Duo yelled.
 
“You weren't so bad yourself.” Heero said.
 
Duo grinned.
 
“Well.” He said as he bounced the ball out of Heero's hands and then started dribbling it with his feet. “Let's do it then!”
 
Heero smiled wickedly.
 
“You're on!”
 
Jacinda sat at the kitchen table cradling a cup of tea in her hands. Again she was plagued by sleeplessness.
 
“That's it.” She thought to herself. “Wufei is right and I can't keep doing this to Bastian. I've got to talk to Duo. I'll give it till tomorrow night. If Duo doesn't come to see me, then I am going to see him! I owe him that much.”
 
Determined she set drained her teacup and went upstairs to bed.
 
“Come on Yuy, you gonna move or what!”
 
Heero watched Duo dribble the soccor ball around with cat-like reflexes. Within seconds Heero got the ball and was moving to the area they had designated as his goal post.
 
“Oh no you don't!” Duo yelled as he tried to block Heero.
 
“Oh yes I do!” Heero said as he reached tried to maneuver around Duo.
 
“Hey what's that on Wing?” Duo pointed out.
 
“Huh?” Heero turned.
 
“PSYCH!” Duo yelled and got the ball.
 
Heero fumed and chased after him.
 
“YOU CHEATER GET BACK HERE!”
 
“AND IT'S DUO MAXWELL WITH THE BALL, HE SHOOTS…!”
 
And out of nowhere Heero emerged and blocked the shot!”
 
Duo's jaw dropped.
 
“Holy…how did you do that?” He yelled as Heero started bouncing the ball on his knee.
 
“Not telling.” Heero said with a grin as he tried to get Duo out of his way. “By the way, I think a raccoon is trying to take your dinner.”
 
“What!?” Duo turned giving Heero an opening.
 
“Got you!” Heero said grinning as he ran with the ball.
 
“HEY!” Duo growled. “You sneak!”
 
“Takes one to know one as someone has said.” Heero said.
 
“Oh that's it!” Duo yelled and charged. He was able to get in front of Duo, but as he tried to get a hold of the ball his boot met some slick leaves and Duo was starting to go down. Heero reached out for him and the two fell in a tangle of arms, legs, and laughter on the ground.
 
“Ahh, my back!” Heero said. “You're heavy.”
 
“Says you!” Duo said laughing atop of Heero.
 
The laughter soon fell into light giggles as the two looked at one another and then as if taken over by a magic spell, they both stared at one another taking in the other's face. Heero captivated by Duo's laughing eyes, Duo by Heero's smile. As if being pulled by some magnet, the strangest thing happened.
 
Heero and Duo found themselves moving closer to one another until it couldn't be helped. They closed their eyes and let their lips press together tenderly, longingly, and sweetly.
 
And with that…they had stolen each other's first kiss.