Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ The Confrontation ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"God, would you actually believe I missed...
He stopped dead when he saw the person come into view.
"Hey there...Duo." They said.
Duo felt his chest constrict.
"Jacinda?"
Duo stared at her blankly as she approached a wee bit closer.
“I'm glad you seem to be well.” She said. “Have you been eating alright?”
Duo shrugged.
“I'm a big boy.” He said. “I can take care of myself.”
“Like you always have.” Jacinda said with a sad smile.
Duo said nothing as he turned his back.
“I…I was hoping we could talk.” Jacinda said quietly.
“What's there to talk about?” Duo said.
“Quite a bit I think.”
Duo heart was anxious. Had Heero planned this, what if everything he said was truly a ploy for him and Jacinda to talk.
“I know you were probably expecting someone else.” Jacinda said. “But don't be mad at him, it was me who asked him to stay behind. We need to talk about this Duo.”
“Why?” Duo growled. “It's not like its going to change anything.”
Jacinda stared up at him sadly.
“Probably not, but maybe it can ease some of your pain…and mine.”
“Didn't I just say I could take care of myself just fine!” Duo turned yelling at her.
“Then why are you avoiding me, or at least going back to the house where you could be warmer?” She said. “I'm not the only one who misses you Duo, my son is crying for you! Why won't you come back?”
“Why so I could pretend to play your little fairy tale story!” Duo said. “You found the orphaned boy your boyfriend was looking for because he felt guilty and now everything is happily ever after!? Sorry lady, but Duo Maxwell can't lie to save his ass!”
“Then what is it Duo!?” Jacinda pleaded. “What is it that I can do to help you?”
Duo clenched his eyes tightly shut.
“Unless you're a real life miracle worker, you'd bring the orphanage back with Sister Helen and Father Maxwell and the kids!” He screamed. “You would bring them back!”
Jacinda felt tears sting her eyes.
“If I could, I would do it in a heart beat for you Duo.” She whispered. “But I can't.”
“Then there isn't anything you can do!” Duo yelled fighting off his own tears. “They are all dead, burned alive and for what!? Because of those stupid rebels, because OZ's definition of negotiation is blowing things to pieces!? Because your boyfriend was a coward to stop them.”
“God Duo!” Jacinda cried. “He tried, he tried with all his might to stop them and find another alternative. But you of all people should know the Alliance's power! It was what killed him in the end! He died for wanting to make up for what happened at Father Maxwell's, for wanting to find you!”
Duo turned to her and Jacinda could see the tears streaming down his cheeks.
“So it's my fault he's dead!?” Duo yelled. “Thanks a lot!”
“I didn't say that Duo.” Jacinda said. “He died because he wanted to break ties with the Alliance and strike out on his own mission and that was…to find you and make it up to you somehow!”
Duo bit his lip.
“Too late.” He whispered.
“Dammit!!” Jacinda yelled. “Cebastion and I both wanted to give back to you what was originally taken by our own hands. We wanted to give you a chance to have some idea of a family. I mean, hell, we'd be on the run for awhile, but we would do everything we can to provide some comfort and care! That's how much you meant and mean to us Duo!”
“YOU CAN'T!” Duo yelled staring down at Jacinda, his eyes fiery. “THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO DID WERE SOLO, THE ORPHANAGE, HOWARD AND NOW HEERO! TWO OUT OF FOUR ARE DEAD AND NOW I AM JUST TRYING TO HOLD ON TO THE ONLY BIT OF FAMILY I HAVE LEFT!”
Then Duo slumped down completely exhausted. By his trembling shoulders Jacinda could tell he was crying. Taking a chance she quickly climbed up onto Deathscythe and slowly approached him.
“Duo?” She said trying to hold back her tears.
“They are all dead.” He said tearfully. “And I could just as easily lose Howie and Heero and the guys. And now to find out that some probably crazy guy and his girlfriend wanted to make up for what they did and then he dies, it screws with my mind! All I see is death.”
Jacinda kneeled down to him.
“Cebastion was crazy yes.” She said. “But he was no fool. He genuinely cared about you Duo as do I. The deaths at the orphanage nearly drowned him in grief and sickness, but it was thoughts of you that kept him from sinking.”
Duo looked at her.
“Why?” He whispered.
“Because angel.” Jacinda said taking a chance and stroking his face. “It wasn't just the grief of what had happened. He wanted to give you a chance at a life you deserved. L2 was always deprived of basic necesseties because of OZ's damn agreements with those elite business bastards.”
She chuckled a bit.
“Had the orphanage been spared, I wouldn't be surprised if Cebastion kept coming back. When…when he visited other colonies for patrol or guarding some base, he used to sneak candy and other treats to give to kids that were around. He'd do little odd jobs here and there for people.”
“Really?” Duo sniffled.
Jacinda nodded with a smile.
“When he saw the true Alliance it changed his perspective completely.” She said. “He was actually thinking that once the war was over and we could come out of hiding he would open a school or his own orphanage. I could open my own medical office even a hospital. If you were with us, we'd make sure that you were educated either by us or if we found a school where we knew you'd be safe and you would have a place to come home to.”
“He sounds like a good guy.” Duo said wiping his nose with his arm.
Jacinda nodded.
“He was, sweetheart.” She said. “He was. “Just like you.”
Duo stared at Jacinda.
“JACINDA!”
Jacinda and Duo turned to see Quatre running towards them. He stopped just before the Gundam to take a breath.
“Quat?” Duo said.
“What is it?” Jacinda asked scrambling off the Gundam. “What's wrong?”
“It's…It's Bastian!” Quatre said huffing as Jacinda jogged to him. “We went to check on him like you asked and he wasn't in his room! We looked all over the house.”
Jacinda's heart jumped into her throat.
“He…he's missing!” Quatre yelled.