Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Promises ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Come back with me tonight.” Heero whispered.
“I…I want to.” Duo said.
“Then do so.”
Duo sighed.
“I…I just want to remember tonight before going back to that mess.”
Duo got an idea.
“Why don't you stay here with me?” Duo said getting to his feet. “We can bunk out here for the night. It's really nice under the stars.”
“What about the guys…and Jacinda?” Heero said standing up. “You know how she worries about us.”
“You can go back before the sun comes up.” Duo yelled. “You can just say you went for a walk.”
Heero cocked an eyebrow.
“Well if I do, then we have to make a deal.” He said. “If I stay with you for the night then you have to talk to Jacinda before we leave.
“And what if I refuse?”
Heero smirked.
“You should know the answer to that one.” He said. “You know I don't wager lightly.”
Duo's mouth fell.
“You would actually sacrifice our newly discovered relationship…FOR THAT!?”
Heero shrugged.
“Jacinda has your best interest at heart.” He said. “She only did what she thought was right.”
Duo crossed his arms.
“And what if she is lying?!” He said. “What if she is still truly OZ and we got screwed?”
Heero rolled his eyes.
“You baka.” He said. “No wonder Wufei questions your sanity sometimes. You know quite well if Jacinda was OZ we'd know by now, don't you think?”
Duo pouted.
“Yeah I guess.” He snarled. “Alright I'll…I'll talk to her.”
“You promise?”
“You know me better than that Yuy.” Duo answered turning away from Heero and walking a few feet away. “I can't lie even if I wanted too of course you know this playing on my weakness you cheat!”
Silence reigned for a moment.
“I am glad you care enough about us to do this Duo.” Heero said quietly. “I can't understand what you are going through with all the new found information Jacinda gave you, but the fact that you are willing to talk to her so you and I could…date…I guess does mean something to me.”
Duo turned his head just a little bit.
“Really?”
“Hai.” Heero said. “And I think before talking to her you should read Cebastion's journal even just a few entries. The man really thought highly of you.”
“He only saw me for a few seconds.” Duo said.
“Yes.” Heero said. “But you made such an impression on his mind. Read it and you'll find out.”
Duo didn't say anything.
“If you still want me to…spend the night here, I will.” Heero said.
Duo now fully turned to Heero.
“You want to?”
Heero shrugged.
“You agreed to your part of the wager, so I am agreeing to my part and no I am not pretending to like you because I want you to talk to Jacinda. I'm shrewd, but not that shrewd when it was originally affecting me.”
Duo's jaw dropped.
“How did you know I was thinking that?”
“You're quite transparent Maxwell.” Heero answered approaching him.
Duo smirked.
“So are you Yuy.” Duo said also approaching Heero. “I can tell what you are thinking right now.”
“You're not that smart Maxwell.”
“HEY!”
“But chances are we might be thinking the same thing.” Heero said.
“The fact that I really want you to kiss me again.” Duo said with a slight blush.
Heero chuckled.
“Oddly enough I was thinking the same thing.” Duo threw his arms around Heero's shoulders as the Japanese boy moved in and once again kissed Duo wrapping his arms around his back.
***********
The rest of the night was spent under the starry sky as Heero and Duo cuddled in some blankets and a few spare pillows. They talked while sharing lazy kisses and held each other's hands as Duo nuzzled his head on Heero's strong chest as Duo stroked his braid.
“You braid is quite heavy.” Heero whispered through closed eyes.
Duo grinned as he basked in Heero's scent.
“That's what happens when you only cut a few strands every few months.” Duo said. “If I let it just keep growing it would hinder me on missions.”
“Don't ever cut it off.” Heero said. “Unless it's absolutely necessary.”
Duo chuckled.
“Never knew you had a hair fetish.”
Heero gave Duo's braid a tug.
“I guess I should never give you compliments then if you are going to talk like that.” Heero said defiantly.
“You know I was kidding Yuy.” Duo said quietly laughing as Heero placed a kiss on top of his head.
“I've never told anyone…how you make me smile.” Heero said quietly.
Duo froze completely thrown by that statement.
“I do?” He said.
“Hai.” Heero said. “The way you are sometimes, with Bastian or just when you make some joke. It makes me feel so warm, a good warm. Don't change who you are Duo.”
Duo paused to keep a tear from escaping.
“Why are you talking like this?” He asked somewhat shakily.
Heero stroked Duo's hair.
“To remind you and myself.” Heero said. “We only have this time together here at Cache Du Monde then who knows. Our Gundams regardless of time constraints will be repaired and we will leave and go back to our old lives, to the missions, the war.”
Duo swallowed hard and wrapped his arms around Heero's chest.
“I won't let you leave me.” Duo said as a few tears escaped. “No matter where you are, I will find you and stop you from doing anything that will keep us apart!”
Heero looked up at the stars and he too swallowed down some emotion.
“Then just keep holding onto me Duo.” He said holding Duo tightly.
***********
All too soon the stars disappeared. Heero awoke gently sensing the change in the weather signaling the coming of dawn. He knew he had to go back to the house to avoid suspicion. He turned on his side to see Duo sleeping peacefully next to him, Heero's hand enfolded in his. The night before came back to Heero and he smiled feeling a huge weight off his heart. The truth had come out and for once he succumbed to it rather than fought it.
Sighing, he kissed Duo gently on the cheek.
“I'll see you soon.” He whispered as he released his hand from Duo's and trekked back to the truck.
By the time Heero got back to the house, the sun had just risen. Just as he tiptoed into the kitchen he nearly ran into Jacinda.
“Heero!?” She said feigning ignorance. “Did you just come in?”
“I…uh…I couldn't fall back to sleep, so I went for a walk.” He said. “You don't look like you slept at all though.”
Jacinda sighed. It was true, even though she had made a plan to see Duo she still could not sleep, her mind in a whirl over what she was going to say.
“Yes.” She said. “Insomnia again, but I'm fine. I was just about to make breakfast.”
Heero tried to return to his old self.
“I doubt you are fine if you are not sleeping.” He said. “But it's none of my concern anyway.”
Jacinda smirked as she turned her back to the stove while Heero trudged upstairs to the bathroom to wash up. She was not a stupid woman. She sensed by the slight redness in Heero's face that something was going on…possibly with Duo. She wanted to see Heero have a chance to enjoy some semblance of peace and if forming a friendship with Duo Maxwell…possibly more…did it…then she was happy.
***********
The day was spent as normal. The pilots went out to work on their Gundams. Wufei and Duo ignored each other again, Heero and Duo stole glances but pretended nothing had happened, and of course Quatre pleaded with Duo to come back to the house with Duo disagreeing. Just as the four were leaving Duo pulled Heero aside.
“Look don't be mad okay.” He said. “I really do promise to talk to Jacinda. I just want to read some of Bastian's journal like you said.”
Heero nodded. He knew Duo wasn't lying to him.
“Will you come tonight?” He asked quietly.
Heero nodded and Duo was all smiles as he jogged back to Deathsycthe.
“What was that all about?” Trowa asked as Heero climbed into the truck.
“Maxwell needed to borrow some tools.” Heero answered as they drove off. “I told him he could use some of mine.”
“An eye for an eye Heero?” Quatre said with a smile.
Heero shrugged.
“Guess so.”
***********
That night Duo waited anxiously for Heero. He couldn't wait to see him again, maybe he could convince Heero to spend the night again. Duo decided to pass the time by reading some of Cebastion's journal. He had yet to come to the part where Cebastion had gone to the orphanage. He was actually getting close when he heard the rustle of leaves. Slapping the book shut he turned around.
"God, would you actually believe I missed...
He stopped dead when he saw the person come into view.
"Hey there...Duo." They said.
Duo felt his chest constrict.
"Jacinda?"