Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Stormy Situation ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The group did as Jacinda told and quickly dispersed. Flashlights danced among the woods as voices rang loudly.
 
“Bastian!?”
 
“Bastian!”
“Yo Bastian where are ya!?”
 
Unfortunately as soon as they began their search the weather turned from clear to cloudy in a matter of minutes. Soon enough, a drizzle began and showed no signs of stopping or slowing down making their search even harder.
 
“Oh man, this isn't good.” Duo said.
 
“We've been in worse.” Heero said as he shook some rain from his hair.
 
“Yeah we have, but not Bastian.” Duo said worriedly. “He's just a kid.”
 
Heero saw the guilt ridden look on Duo's face and timidly put his hand on Duo's shoulder.
 
“We….we'll find him.” Heero said.
 
Meanwhile….
 
“Where did the moon go?” Bastian said to himself as he trudged through the woods. It was now very dark and the rain did not help ease the anxiety growing inside the little boy. He decided to probably try to head home but had no idea which direction to turn. He looked up into the sky and blinked as rain drops fell on his face.
 
“I can't see any stars.” He said. “I can't see the North Star.”
 
He looked down at his bunny.
 
“I think I'm lost.” He said as he began to cry.
 
The search parties continued to scour the woods. Not wanting to worry or worse losing any villagers, Jacinda decided it best to that just she, Siero, Russini, Bard and the pilots were better able to find Bastian. As the minutes ticked by and the rain showing no sign of stopping their search became harder and harder. Jacinda and Siero eventually caught up with Duo and Heero.
 
“Any sign of him?” Jacinda asked.
 
“None.” Duo said.
“But that doesn't mean anything.” Heero said quickly unaware he was trying to ease the nurse's fears. “Maybe he found somewhere to hide.”
 
“You said he was good at that.” Duo said.
 
Jacinda smiled worriedly.
 
“Too good really.” Siero said. “I think we are going to need a coupler leash to take care of both him AND Selwyn.
 
Just as Trowa, Quatre, Wufei, and Russini reappeared a loud scream broke through.
 
“Bastian!!” Jacinda yelled and ran in the direction of the scream. Everyone was at her heels as the screams became louder and closer.
 
“MAMMMAAAA!!!”
 
“BASTIAN!?”
Soon everyone found themselves standing at the edge of the now heavily flowing stream where Bastian was hanging onto a rock for dear life.
 
“Oh my god Bastian!!”
“Mama I'm stuck!!!” Bastian yelled through the storm.
 
Before Jacinda herself jumped into water, a loud splash was heard and soon enough Duo could be seen trying with all his might to swim towards Bastian.
 
“Hang on there kiddo, I'm coming!” He yelled. Just then Bastian's grip on the rock slipped and once again was plunged into the stream that was getting deeper by the minute.
 
“MAMA!”
 
“BASTIAN!” Jacinda yelled trying to fight Siero's hold to keep her from going into the water herself to save her son. Meanwhile rest of the pilots ran further down the shore of the stream trying to see how they could help Duo.
 
Meanwhile, the braided pilot swam hard watching Bastian's little head bob up and down. He knew the boy was going to tire out and if he didn't get to him soon the possibility of the boy drowning would be high.
 
Scanning through the rain he found Bastian beginning to sink under the water. Cursing under his breath Duo dove under and scanned through the murk and stinging rain to see Bastian's body floating under the water. Swimming as fast as he could, Duo was able to catch up to Bastian and grab the boy in his arms. When they reached the surface Duo was relieved to hear Bastian beginning to cough just as he looked up to see his friends.
 
“DUO CATCH!” He heard Heero yell.
 
Duo turned and saw everyone including Jacinda and Siero holding tightly onto a rope that was quickly tossed to him. Duo grabbed a hold and let everyone pull him and Bastian in and within moments were back to the edge of the shore. Jacinda dropped the rope and ran to her son who was still coughing.
 
“Mama.” The boy whimpered as Jacinda gathered him in her arms.
 
“My little boy.” She whispered as she held him close. “I thought I lost you.”
 
Meanwhile Duo let Heero and his friends help him up as the storm finally ceased.
 
“I think I swallowed a fish.” He said coughing. “Remind me when I have kids to take Siero's idea and leash them.”
 
“And once again, I hope Nataku forbids that.” Wufei said jokingly, but patted Duo on his back. “Good job Maxwell.”
 
“You could have been killed too.” Quatre said. “When we saw you go under, we were ready to jump in.”
 
“We had to hold Heero back when he let go of the rope.” Trowa responded whose watchful eyes turned to Selwyn who had ran over to Bastian to lick him happily. “The whole rope trick was his idea.”
 
Duo turned to Heero who was staring at him with relieved eyes. It took every ounce of his being not to jump into Heero's arms. He turned when he heard footsteps approaching. It was Jacinda, carrying Bastian, and staring at Duo with glassy eyes.
 
Before Duo could speak, Jacinda took her free arm and wrapped it around Duo tightly and holding him close to her and Bastian.
 
“I don't how I can thank you for what you just did.” She whispered. “You risked your life for my son.”
 
Duo couldn't say anything as he felt Jacinda's tears. Lifting her head she caressed his face and placed a motherly kiss on his forehead.
 
“Special doesn't even begin to describe you.” She said then looked at the other pilots. “All of you. Thank you all for what you did.”
 
Wiping her eyes, she turned to Bastian.
 
“Now I think you have something to say Bastian.”
 
Bastian sniffled.
 
“I slipped in the water.” He said. “I swam away, so did my bunny and my tool box. But Duo saved me!”
 
“So what do you say to Duo and the rest of his friends.”
 
“Thank you!!” Bastian said happily.
 
Suddenly the sound of snickering was heard.
 
Duo turned around to see his friends, including Heero trying to stifle their laughter.
 
“What's so funny?”
 
Then Siero, Russini, and Jacinda started giggling.
 
“Oh my, Duo.” Jacinda said.
 
“What?”
 
“MY BUNNY!”
 
The next thing Duo knew two little hands grabbed onto Duo's bottom and pulled.
 
“YIIIIKKKEESS!” Duo yelled. “What the hell?”
 
Duo turned to see Bastian pulling onto his black pants.
“MY BUNNY IS ON YOUR PANTS!”
 
That did it. Everyone was laughing as the button eye of the stuffed, drenched rabbit held onto to dear life on Duo's behind.
 
“It must have hooked onto your pocket Duo.” Jacinda said giggling. With a hard tug Bastian pulled the rabbit off, tearing off the eye and making a nice hole in Duo's pants.
 
“Whoops.” Bastian said, but held his bunny close.
 
Duo could only blush and tried to conceal the hole.