Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Resolution ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I'm hungry.” Bastian said as the group walked back towards Jacinda's house.
 
“Gotta agree with you on that one Bastian.” Duo said. “That swim left me famished along.”
 
“I'm glad you back Duo!” Bastian said hugging the pilot tightly as Duo balanced him on his hip. Indeed after the happy reunion with Jacinda, Bastian then hooked himself onto Duo refusing to let go.
 
“Duo…walking makes you famished.” Wufei couldn't help himself.
 
“Shut it “Fei Fei.”
 
“I'm not even going to respond to that.”
 
“Mama I want food.” Bastian said.
 
Jacinda didn't respond.
 
Everyone looked over at her, and Heero noticed she was looking rather pale as she then took a breath and leaned on a tree trunk.
 
“Jacinda, you alright?” He asked.
 
“Hmm.”
 
“Jacinda.” Siero said putting his hand on her shoulder worriedly.
 
“I'm fine.” She said trying to ignore the spinning and the aching in her head. “Just worn out that's all.”
 
“Mama, I want pancakes!” Bastian clapped happily.
 
Jacinda smiled tiredly at her boy.
 
“Fine by me because that is the only special food you are getting for a week young man!” She said. “You knew better than to sneak out and you still did it, so no dessert or special treats for a week.”
 
Normally Bastian would have thrown his typical tantrum, but he just pouted.
 
“Duo can come home right?” He asked.
 
Jacinda nodded.
 
“Yes he can, that is if he wants to?” She said looking at Duo.
 
Everyone stopped and stared at Duo who bit his lip.
 
“Yeah, yeah, I guess I'll come back!” Duo said.
 
“YAAAY!” Bastian clapped and once again latched onto Duo's neck. “We can play lots of games!”
 
“Not right now you aren't” Jacinda said approaching the house. It was now nearing dawn. “You are going to get cleaned up, have some breakfast, and get some rest. In fact that is what the ALL of us are going to do. It's another Jacinda commanded day off and I don't want to hear any complaints.”
 
This time no one had the heart to disagree with that.
 
After Bastian had been given a warm bath, Jacinda left Siero in charge of getting him changed while she went into the pilots room. Duo had gotten first dibs on the bathroom and was lying belly down on his bed, braid surprisingly undone, while the rest of his friends milled about the room getting ready to take their turns in the bathroom.
 
Jacinda smiled as she came in.
 
“I take it Duo might be skipping breakfast?”
 
“Hell no!” Duo said from his pillow.
 
“He's just worshipping the fact that he is back in a bed instead of his Gundam.” Quatre said.
 
“I forget how wonderful these are.” He murmured.
 
Jacinda shook her head.
 
“Guys won't don't you get yourselves cleaned up. I'll be making breakfast in a bit. I just want to talk to Duo for a bit.”
 
The group did as was told without argument except for Heero who looked over at Duo a bit longingly. Jacinda patted his back.
 
“I won't keep him long.” She said.
 
Heero nodded and left.
 
Jacinda went to sit down on the side of his bed.
 
“You didn't do your braid.” She said, running her fingers gently through his hair.
 
“I think if I do it I'll be too tired to eat.” He said.
 
“I can always leave you a plate to heat up for later if you really want to sleep.”
 
“Not this time.” Duo said. “I want to eat my meal hot and fresh.”
 
Jacinda giggled. Slowly, she took Duo's hair and began to braid it herself.
 
“I really don't know how to thank you for saving my son.” She said thickly as she separated the long chestnut hair.
 
Duo had no idea how to respond, he was still surprised he was letting Jacinda braid his hair. He wouldn't let anyone but himself, Sister Helen, or maybe even now Heero do it, but the way Jacinda did it just felt…right.
 
“Bastian's disappearance made it difficult for us to continue what we were discussing back on your Gundam. I don't know how you feel about me Duo, but I honestly mean it and will till the day I die that Cebastion and I wanted you to be with us and that he did not want to destroy your home and family.”
 
Duo again felt the tears well up, but this time let Jacinda continue instead of arguing with her.
 
“Life has been very hard for you and you were dealt blows that you did not at all deserve. But no matter what you may go through in life Duo, please remember you truly are not alone. You have a wonderful group of friends here in life, and spirits guiding you in the afterlife and I really do believe that one of those spirits is Cebastion.”
 
Duo wiped his eyes as Jacinda reached over for a hair tie to wrap the end of the braid.
 
“How can you be so nice to me after all of the nasty things I said to you?” He whispered. “I was the reason Bastian ran away.”
 
Jacinda lightly smiled as she tied Duo's braid and let the boy sit up.
 
“You had every right to be mad Duo.” She said. “You were hurt terribly and didn't deserve it. Let's face it you didn't think that this random village you come to actually held a piece of your past, a painful one at that. Regardless of whether or not you forgive me and Cebastion doesn't matter. What matters is you are here, we are talking again, and most of all you saved my baby when he did run off. I can't thank you enough for that.”
 
When Duo saw Jacinda's tears of relief and gratitude, he couldn't help himself. He threw himself into Jacinda's arms.
 
“I'm…I'm sorry.” He said with a sob. “I didn't want to be so mean to you.”
 
Jacinda shushed and began to rock him.
 
“You have nothing to be sorry about.”
 
“I just miss them all so much!” He said. “And the fact that I can still lose the guys and Heero…”
 
His words were swallowed by tears as Jacinda stroked his hair.
 
“They are a part of you and you love and want to protect them.” She said. “But you are not the reason some of them have died Duo, and I want you to stop thinking that. The cause has been OZ and this war all along. I know that you…all of you carry a very heavy burden. Just remember, there will always be those that understand what you are doing, no matter how brutal it maybe.”
 
Duo sniffled.
 
“I'm not so damn innocent.” He said. “I am also a thief, a Sweeper, and I have killed. I have blood on my hands and sometimes talk big while doing the job.”
 
Jacinda sighed.
 
“But you don't feel it.” She said. “You are not evil Duo. You feel the pain deeply in your heart. That is why you are so attentive to my village and my son. You cherish the living and mourn the dead. You all do, no matter how hard some of you may try to conceal it. The only pure evil I have ever seen was OZ.”
 
She tilted Duo's chin.
 
“I wouldn't wish the life you had and lead now on anyone.” She said. “But I wish for them to have your spirit and heart. THAT is who you are Duo and what made Cebastion and I care about you very much.”
 
Duo stared into the nurse's sad, but comforting eyes. Feeling a wave of grief, guilt, and sadness he once again fell into Jacinda's arms and cried.
 
“I'm sorry…I really am sorry…I just want them back. Why did they all have to die!?”
 
“I know sweetheart.” Jacinda said holding him. “I know.”
 
Outside the bedroom….
 
Heero had decided to be the last person to take his needed shower and decided to eavesdrop. He resisted the urge to run into the room and hold Duo as he sobbed. But now he was in a state of confusion.
 
“Is what Jacinda said true? Heero thought. “Does she really believe that all of us, even me, really do feel more for what we are doing in this war?”
 
The boys came back in a half hour later. Duo had calmed down and Jacinda had gone to the kitchen to make breakfast while Siero, after putting Bastian down for a quick nap, went back to his own place to freshen up before breakfast.
 
“I take it things have been patched up with Jacinda?” Trowa asked as Selwyn sat beside him.
 
“Yeah, yeah.” Duo said. “She and I are buds again. Besides, I might as well enjoy this homey lifestyle while I can. I know we are going to be leaving soon.”
 
“I'm really not looking forward to it.” Quatre said. “It's been so long since we had such peace.”
 
“Then let's fight for it.” Duo said sitting up. “Let's attack OZ with everything with got so we can have this for, God help us, the rest of our lives.”
 
Before anyone could respond the sound of glass breaking and a heavy thunk came from the kitchen.
 
“Jacinda!” Quatre yelled and ran down the stairs with the pilots at his heels. When they reached the kitchen, they found Jacinda….lying motionless on the kitchen floor.