Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Solid ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The pilots ran to Jacinda's side just as Siero came in.
 
“JACINDA!” He yelled running to her side as Trowa was turning her over. “What the hell happened!?”
 
“We don't know.” Quatre said. “We were upstairs when we heard a crash from here in the kitchen. We came downstairs to find Jacinda on the floor.
 
“She has a pulse.” Trowa said. “No sign of physical injury, but she has a slight temperature. We should get her to her room.”
 
“I'll send for Dr. Ridge.” Wufei yelled as he ran outside. Borrowing Jacinda's motorcycle he headed in the direction of the doctor's cabin.
 
“Make sure Bastian doesn't wake up.” Siero said as he lifted Jacinda in his arms. “Last thing we need is him freaking out. After I get Jacinda settled I'll send for some of the people Jacinda trained as her aides.”
 
“I know who they are!” Quatre said. “I'll alert them right away.”
 
Siero quickly disappeared up the stairs just as Quatre ran out the door to get the nurses. The three other pilots ran after Siero to see what they could do to help.
 
After getting Jacinda to her room Siero placed her gently on the bed. Jacinda was stirring a little, but not enough to ease the worry in the room.
 
“Is she going to be okay?” Duo asked.
 
“Won't know until Ridge gets here.” Siero answered stroking some hair on Jacinda's face. She was stirring, but still hadn't regained full consciousness.
 
Soon enough Quatre and the nurses burst into the house and up the stairs just as Wufei dragged a semi-sober yet dazed doctor into the room. Many villagers too had heard of Jacinda's collapse and huddled downstairs cleaning up the mess and trying to keep calm.
 
When Ridge saw Jacinda lying on her bed semi-conscious he sobered up and shooed everyone from the room with the exception of the aides. They all gathered by her door awaiting news.
 
“God, how could this happen!” Siero whispered to himself. “I should have noticed Jacinda wasn't feeling well.”
 
“She was very good at hiding it.” Heero said. “She said she just had insomnia.”
 
“Jacinda doesn't like to worry anyone.” Siero said. “But normally she is good at taking care of herself except when there is stressful situation.”
 
“It's my fault.” A voice interrupted. Everyone turned to see Duo's grief stricken face. “I made her worry by avoiding her after our fight. It's my fault she is sick!”
 
Before Siero could respond a villager came up and pulled Duo by the collar.
 
“You made Ms. Jacinda ill!?” He said angrily. “And what fight are you taking about!? You little ingrate, how could you do that after all the nice things she has done for you!?”
 
“It was a personal matter that had nothing to do with the village.” Heero said coming to Duo's defense.
 
“When it comes to Ms. Jacinda, it becomes OUR matter.” Another villager said approaching Heero. “I knew you guys were trouble from the start.”
 
Before anyone else could intervene, Ridge opened the door wiping his glasses.
 
“I keep telling that woman she needs to slow down or else something like that will happen.” He said to himself.
 
“Ridge!” Siero said grabbing the doctor by the shoulders. “Is she alright!?”
 
Ridge sighed.
 
“She will be once she gets some rest.” He said. “It appears Jacinda has an extreme case of exhaustion. She has simply run herself sick.”
 
Everyone looked worriedly at the doctor.
 
“She will be fine, but she needs to just slow down, especially now because she is running a fever.”
 
“Thank you Allah.” Quatre said in relief as Wufei also said a quick prayer of thanks to Nataku.
 
“We can take care of things for Jacinda while she recovers.” Trowa said quietly. “As well as watch Bastian. It's the least we can do for her.”
 
“Hmph the BEST you can do for her is leave!” A villager yelled. The pilots turned to see a group of angry people staring at them.
 
“Ms. Jacinda wouldn't have gotten so ill had it been for her taking care of you!” Dalu said.
 
“And to hear you were FIGHTING with her!?” The villager who still had his hands on Duo exclaimed. “The woman gave you her house, food and medicine and this is how you repay her!? You're no better than OZ then!! GET YOUR THINGS AND GET OUT! ALL OF YOU!”
 
He pushed Duo hard enough that Heero had to catch him before his face would meet the floor. Normally, Duo would have fought back with the villager, but was so guilt ridden he felt he deserved the treatment he was getting.
 
“We didn't intend on any harm coming to Jacinda.” Quatre pleaded. “We didn't even know she was sick.”
 
“Come on everyone.” Siero said. “We know Jacinda works hard for all of us. It's no one's fault and it is true about this “fight”, it was a personal matter between Duo and Jacinda and its been resolved.”
 
“At the expense of her health!” Rasha said. “I understand what you are saying Siero, but we can't ignore the fact that these boys are not only a danger to our village since OZ arrived, but now its become so that Jacinda has worried herself sick. She may be good at hiding it, but that is no excuse. We can't ignore this any longer. These boys need to go for the sake of her and our village.”
 
“We were only trying to protect your home.” Wufei said. “And repay Jacinda's and your kindness by helping out until we could leave.”
 
“But if that is what you want us to do…” Heero said quietly.
 
“YES!” Russini yelled. “The sooner the better! GET YOUR THINGS AND GET OUT!”
 
“As you wish.” Trowa said.
 
“THAT'S ENOUGH!” A voice interrupted. It was Jacinda holding herself up with aide of the door and Chadi, one of her assistants.
 
“Jacinda, for Heaven's sake, get back in bed.” Ridge said going to her side.
 
“The boys will stay here until their Gundams are repaired.” Jacinda said raggedly ignoring Ridge's demand.
 
“B…but Ms. Jacinda.” Russini said. “Look at what has happened, you have fallen ill over what we heard was a fight between you and this pilot here.
 
He pointed at Duo.
 
“Which was none of your damn business.” Jacinda said angrily. She didn't care how rude it sounded, her head was spinning, she was sweating and black spots were forming in her eyes. But when she had caught wind of the conversation going on outside her door, there was no way anyone was making any decision about the pilots without her say so.
 
“But OZ also came looking for them.” Rasha said. “We must protect ourselves.”
 
“And them.” Jacinda said. “They are…I repeat…they are NOT OZ. And again, the fight…or rather discussion between Duo and I was personal and had nothing to do with the village. It was a private matter. And as for my illness, I made myself sick by not caring for myself. My head was hurting and I had not been sleeping well, but chose to ignore it. It was no one's fault but mine.”
 
With that Jacinda nearly gave in to the darkness coming over her as Siero caught her as she began slipping down the door.
 
“The boys will stay here at my house for as long as they need and we will abide by the same cautions as we have when they arrived.” She said. “And they will always be welcome here even after they leave. If you don't like it, you can always leave the village. There is no law that says you have to stay here. And that is it!”
 
And finally Jacinda gave in to the exhaustion once again. Thankfully Siero was there to catch her this time.
 
“Alright that is enough Jacinda.” Ridge said. “It's sedative time for you my dear since it appears you will not rest willingly.”
 
And with that the group disappeared once again behind Jacinda's door.
 
The villagers and the pilots could only look on helplessly.
 
That night, Bastian was spending the night at Rasha and Hester's. They let Bastian give Jacinda a good night kiss, telling her she had to have an early bedtime. Thankfully the situation did not affect Bastian and he went happily to play with his best friend. Siero kept vigil over Jacinda while Ridge stayed at her house to keep an eye on her. He had indeed given her a heavy enough sedative that she was still asleep well into the early evening. The pilots kept their worried minds busy taking care of household chores and keeping an ear and eye out in case Jacinda or any of the other adults needed anything.
 
Duo however kept out of the way as possible. There were some villagers that refused to leave even after the pilots had said they would take care of the chores. It was evident trust was not in their eyes as they watched the pilots go about their business.
 
“I feel like I'm in a fish bowl.” Wufei said annoyingly as he sat at the kitchen table.
 
“They just care about Jacinda as much as we do.” Quatre said as he stirred some soup. He was making some in case Jacinda awoken and needed something to eat. “We would do the same thing had it been the reverse.”
 
“True.” Trowa said as he cut up some vegetables to put in the soup. “Sometimes you don't think clearly when you are concerned over someone. All you want is for them to be okay.”
 
“Tell that to Duo.” Wufei said. “He's been moping around all day.”
 
“The villagers have pegged him as the cause of Jacinda's illness after he mentioned their fight.” Heero said staring out the window. “He's afraid to do anything that may harm Jacinda.”
 
“It's so hard on Duo.” Quatre agreed. “He's the one that has been through so much so we came here and now this happening. It's not good on his health either.”
 
That thought gave Heero a bad feeling and he decided to go check on him.
 
Heero found Duo outside in Jacinda's garden staring into nothing.
 
“Winner is making dinner.” Heero said. “I'll force feed you if you don't eat it and you are eating at the table with the rest of us. You're too old for that avoidance nonsense.”
 
Duo smiled sadly.
 
“When did you become so bossy?”
Heero took a seat next to Duo.
 
“New development I guess.” Heero said. “And stop blaming yourself. Jacinda is a grown woman, she shouldn't have neglected her health.”
 
“You're one to talk.” Duo said. “You go on missions when you are practically on your deathbed.”
 
“As do you…and the rest of us.” Heero said with a sigh. “We are no better than her.”
 
“Definitely.” Duo said. “But I still feel like its my fault.”
 
Heero sighed again. He knew when Duo felt something….it felt it hard.
 
“Alright then, you can redeem yourself by going inside and helping us.” Heero said. “You want Jacinda to get well, then be yourself. Act like an idiot, entertain Bastian and slack off when you are supposed to be working. If she sees you doing that, it will probably ease her mind and help her get better quicker.”
 
Duo chuckled.
 
“I see your point.”
 
“Good now get to it.”
 
Heero was about to get up when he felt Duo's hand on his shoulder.
 
“Hold on a second Heero.” He whispered. Before Heero knew it, he felt a pair of soft lips on his own. Heero closed his eyes and went with the feeling that quickly washed over him.
 
They parted , but Duo put his forehead on Heero's.
 
“I feel like you've changed.” Duo said. “But in a good way. You're the same Heero, but you have a sweetness to you.”
 
“How poetic.” Heero said with a smirk.
 
“I'm serious.” Duo said. “You have been constantly comforting me. Why?”
 
“I don't know.” Heero whispered. “Normally I see someone in pain, all I think is that it is something you just have to deal with on your own. But…lately with you…I get these strange feelings. I feel uncomfortable when you aren't smiling and being yourself. It doesn't feel right.”
 
Duo grinned.
 
“So you like who I am?” Duo said.
 
Heero rolled his eyes.
 
“When you aren't being a lazy bum, then I find you…tolerable.”
 
“Tolerable!” Duo gasped. “Why Heero you have such a way with words.”
 
Duo smiled though. He knew it was going to be a lot the two of them would have to learn not just about themselves, but how to handle the whole prospect of being in a relationship neither was familiar with. But as Heero timidly placed a kiss on Duo's mouth before the two went back into the house to help the others, it signified his as well as Duo's willingness to try.