Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 13.

Duo awoke to the sounds of the shower running. He blinked open sleepy eyes and quickly closed them again, the sunlight streaming into the room nearly blinding him. He'd forgotten just how bright the sun on Earth was compared to the artificial light that passed for the daylight hours on the Colonies. He rolled over as his brain began to scramble its cells together and function in some sort of normal way. The previous evening's events came back to him with startling clarity and he blushed a little as he recalled what they had done together on the couch. The blush soon eased though as he remembered his inability to sleep and Heero's soft voice as he welcomed him into his bed.

He rolled over again, casually tossing an arm across his face to shield his eyes from the determined sunshine. He heard the water switch off. Heero would be stepping out of the stall now and drying off his water slicked body. Suddenly Duo felt envious of those droplets. A stirring in his nether regions though wasn't a good thing given that the clock read 7 am and Wufei would be there to pick them up in an hour. With a sigh he swung his legs out of the tangle of sheets and sat on the side of the bed. His head drifted slightly downwards as his hands rose to meet it, rubbing over his sleep warmed flesh and soft stubble that persisted in growing on his chin. The bathroom door opened and closed, followed by the bedroom door opening to admit Heero, fresh from his shower, hair still damp.

"You're up." It was a statement, not a question.

Rubbing again at his eyes, Duo just grunted.

Heero went to the closet and removed a pair of dress pants and shirt. He turned back to the bed to find his long haired partner stretching, muscles pulled taut over his slender body, boxers beginning to slide down over one hip. Heero took a moment to appreciate the view before speaking again. "Wufei will be here soon, I'll go start breakfast while you take your shower."

"Okay." Duo turned and went to exit the bedroom but was stopped by a body blocking his way. Arms enfolded him in a warm embrace and a gentle kiss was bestowed upon his lips. His own arms wound around damp skin as he returned the kiss.

"Morning, Duo."

"Mmmm... Morning, Heero."

They remained in the embrace for a few moments before Heero placed a kiss to the tip of Duo's nose. "Go take your shower," he murmured and released the youth from his arms.

Duo left the room, skin tingling from the all too brief touch, and took his shower. When he'd finished he returned to his own bedroom and fetched himself some fresh clothes to wear. He looked at the unmade state of his bed and quickly pulled the covers up. Later, when they returned, he would move his things into the other bedroom as Heero had asked him to. He smiled to himself as he thought about the evening before and found it amusing that the once cool 'nothing seems to affect me' soldier that was Heero Yuy could need the security of another person just as much as he did. That gave rise to another thought, one Duo had seriously doubted he would ever experience. The thought that he would survive the war and have a steady job, somewhere to call home and most importantly, someone to share his hopes and dreams, love and life with.

The smell of toast reached his nostrils and his stomach growled at him, demanding it be fed. With the smile still in place he left the room and navigated his way to the small kitchen.

Heero looked up as Duo's shadow fell across the doorframe, followed by the ex-pilot himself. The smile on that elfin face tugged at his heart. He smiled in return, something he was fast becoming used to doing and much to his amazement, liked. "Toast okay?"

"Toast is fine, Heero. I don't think I could manage anything more than that."

Heero gave him a quizzical look.

"I know this is gonna sound weird but I've got butterflies," Duo gave a shrug of his shoulders as he sat down at the table. A warm hand landed on his shoulder.

"I know what you mean."

Duo's eyes widened. "You mean you do too?"

Heero nodded.

"Well I never. Ladies and Gentlemen, please make note of this historic event. Mr. Heero Yuy, formerly a Gundam Pilot, trained assassin and occasional suicidal maniac has admitted to suffering from nerves." Duo quipped.

Heero thwapped him upside of the head. "Baka!"

Duo just grinned at him. "I never thought I would see the day when you would admit that you're just as human as the rest of us mere mortals."

Heero fetched the coffee mugs and sat opposite his teasing partner. "Eat," he stated simply, choosing to ignore the jibe and picked up a piece of toast for himself.

Duo snickered softly before reaching for a slice and buttering it thickly.

~ * ~

The doorbell to the apartment rang precisely at eight and Heero opened it. "Chang," he greeted the Chinese man standing on the other side.

"Yuy. I take it you're both ready?"

"Ready as we will ever be, Wuffles," Duo chimed from behind Heero.

Wufei scowled. "I've told you before, Maxwell, the name is Wufei. Please try to remember that."

"I'll try, but I don't guarantee it."

Wufei gave him a glare and then turned on his heel, walking quickly back down the hall towards the elevator. "We need to get going, Commander Une does not appreciate tardiness."

Duo stepped out and waited while Heero locked the door. They joined the Chinese Agent just as the elevator arrived.

The ride into Preventer HQ was quiet, Wufei concentrating on the traffic while Heero contemplated the day ahead. Duo gazed out of the window, still absorbing all the Earth had to offer.

With the vehicle safely parked, Wufei escorted them to the main entry. They proceeded through the main reception area, getting looks and whispers as they went. Wufei nodded to a few people that he obviously knew but didn't engage anyone in conversation. They reached a large, secure door with an electronic lock on the side. Heero gave it an approving stare. Wufei slipped a key card through the lock and then placed his palm against the flat bed of a scanner aligned next to the device. Moments later the mechanism confirmed his identity and the door was unlocked.

Duo keenly took in everything around him as they proceeded along a couple of hallways and three more locked doors. Two elevator rides later and they emerged somewhere near the top of the building as far as Duo could tell. The carpet muffled their footsteps as Wufei took them along yet another hallway with a few doors leading off to the sides. He halted at one and then opened it, ushering the pair inside. The secretary looked up and smiled when she recognized Wufei.

"Ahh, Agent Fire, these must be the two new recruits Commander Une is expecting."

"That is correct. Could you please inform the Commander that we are here."

The woman turned to a com unit and proceeded to do as Wufei had requested. "You may enter," she said a few seconds later.

"Thank you." Wufei led the way to the large oak door and knocked before entering.

Heero followed behind Wufei, eyes noting everything while Duo gave the secretary a smile and a wink, causing the poor woman to get flustered and blush a nice shade of red. "Maxwell, stop flirting with the staff," Wufei growled.

"Yes, sir!" Duo mock saluted and with another wink at the poor secretary, he followed the other two into the office.

"Mr. Yuy, Mr. Maxwell. It is a pleasure to meet you both again and a greater pleasure to have you both agree to working for the Preventer organization." Une stood up and walked around the desk, extending her hand as she did so.

"Arigato." Heero returned the handshake.

"Please, call me Duo. Mr. Maxwell makes me feel old," Duo grinned. He tried to hide his nervousness behind the smiling mask. The woman before him seemed genuine enough but Duo couldn't escape the small tremble of fear that persisted in running along his spine. His memories of Une during the war were not exactly pleasant ones and he really hoped that the psychotic part of the woman wasn't going to rear its ugly head.

"Duo," Une repeated before letting go of the hand. "Please, take a seat." Une turned to Wufei. "Thank you for bringing them here, Wufei. I'll go through everything with them and send for you once I'm finished."

Wufei gave a nod and then left. Heero and Duo both took a seat opposite Une and waited for the woman to begin.

Une sat and smiled at the pair. "Firstly, let me welcome you both to Preventer. May I personally say how pleased I am that you have agreed to join us and work towards maintaining the peace...." Une then proceeded with her speech, explaining the running of the organization, their aims and objectives, the basic rundown on the operations and the various sections, along with their duties. While Duo listened he also let his mind wander, taking in all the new things around him. Heero paid full attention, absorbing the information like a sponge, the soldier instincts in him still there and coming to the fore. He could feel Duo's presence to his left and noted that the former Deathscythe pilot was only partially paying attention, but it didn't bother him. He knew Duo well enough from their time together in the war to know that Duo was capable of understanding all the information while giving the appearance of not even listening.

It was a feat he envied the man for.

"... I will call Agent Fire back and have him escort you to the various departments you will need to register with. Once that is done, you will officially become Preventer Agents and be assigned to the active field agents core," Une finished her monologue and pressed the com button, informing her secretary to contact Agent Fire and have him report back. "Do either of you have any questions?"

Heero shook his head. "I think you have explained pretty much everything, Commander Une."

"Do we get nifty code names like Wuffy?" Duo asked, eyes sparkling with mirth.

Une's mouth twitched at the misuse of Wufei's name. "Yes, you will. In fact they have already been assigned to you."

"Cool, so what are they?"

"Heero, you will be known as Agent Day and Duo, you will be known as Agent Night. I have given instructions to the field department that you are to remain partnered together, I trust that is all right with you both?"

"Fine with me," Heero replied.

"Great! Good thinking, Commander, why split up a team that works so well together?" Duo grinned.

"I am well aware of your skills at working together, Agent Night. I can recall several times during the war when those skills were made extremely obvious to both myself and the faction I was working for." Une's voice, while firm, carried a hint of amusement in it.

Duo went suitably red. "Yeah, well, we were just following orders and it wasn't our fault you were on the wrong side," he muttered, before thinking that now was probably a good time to shut up. Heero glanced at him out of the corner of his eye.

The sound of a knock on the door broke the awkward moment and Wufei entered the office.

"Agent Fire, Agents Day and Night are ready to proceed with the next steps of admittance to the organization. Could you please escort them to the various departments and see that the process gets underway?"

"Certainly. Please follow me." Wufei bowed in respect to Une and then moved back to the door, which he held open for his fellow agents.

Heero stood and shook Une's hand once more. "Thank you for inviting us to join."

"My pleasure, Heero. I look forwards to a long, successful association with you." Une released Heero's hand and turned to face Duo, shaking his offered hand.

"Yeah, thanks. I guess I kinda miss blowing up the bad guys. This way I can still get to do it and what's better is that it's all legal," Duo quipped.

"Agent Night. I hope I do not have to remind you of the code of ethics for a Preventer agent, nor do I wish to see you in my office facing disciplinary charges." Une's voice was firm, even if her eyes were twinkling. There was something about the violet eyed youth that you couldn't help but like.

Duo gave her a wicked grin. "I promise to behave myself."

"Good."

~ * ~

Wufei escorted them to the second floor of the building where several offices were located. On the way he explained the layout of the building. "The basement contains the records department. All cases solved or unsolved are kept there, along with a database that is continuously being updated. When a case comes in, that is the first place to go to get any extra information that may help with the one you're working on. The ground floor and first floor are the reception area and general public area. That is where most of the interviews, case filing etc. takes place. The second floor is where we process all the new staff. Here is where you will fill out your paperwork, be allocated your uniforms, badges and firearms and assigned to an office and a supervisor. The third floor houses the medical wing. You will undergo your medical examinations there."

Duo quirked an eyebrow. "Medical exam?"

"Yes. All agents, especially field agents, must pass a medical and physical test before being assigned to active duty." Wufei continued. "The following floors from four through to eight are offices. You will be allocated an office on the sixth floor. Floors nine and ten are the research laboratories and the remaining two floors belong to the officers in command. We also have a full training assault course, gymnasium and swimming pool in the grounds and building attached to the south side of this one."

"Any chance of getting a road map for the place, 'Fei? I think I'm gonna need a cut lunch and a water bag [1] just to navigate from the front door to the sixth floor." Duo snickered.

Wufei paused in his stride and looked the American up and down. "How we ever defeated OZ with you in our ranks is, and always will, remain a mystery to me," Wufei replied a little tartly and then moved off again.

Duo did his best to look hurt and poked Heero in the ribs. "I think I was just insulted, Heero."

"That's nothing new, Duo." Heero smirked.

"Thanks a lot for standing up for me, buddy," Duo huffed, but the smile danced in his eyes.

"You're always telling me you can take care of yourself," replied Heero. "So I'm letting you." He quickly moved to catch up to Wufei.

Duo shook his head and followed. Looked like working here was going to be interesting to say the least.

~ * ~

Duo groaned and flexed his cramping fingers. "Hey, Heero. You nearly done?"

Heero looked up from the form he was currently filling out and nodded. There was a small pile of paper forms between the two of them, filled out with mostly neat handwriting.

"Thank god this is the last one. I don't think my hand could take much more," Duo grumbled as he focused on the form once more. He'd had no idea how much paperwork there was involved in joining the company. They seemed to have forms for everything.

"Duo?"

Duo looked up at his partner. "Yes?"

"Would you mind if I put you down as my next of kin?"

The question caught Duo off guard for a moment. He hadn't thought along those lines before. Sure he had during the war, but then it was a threat that they lived with daily. Now that the peace was here he hadn't contemplated the possibility of getting hurt or needing a 'next of kin' should anything happen. His eyes softened though as he looked at the waiting face of the man he was beginning to love more than anything else. "Only if I can list you as mine."

Heero gave him a warm smile and checked to see that no one was watching before placing his hand over Duo's and squeezing it. "Thank you."

The forms were duly finished and lodged in the correct places; Wufei collected them again and took them to the cafeteria for lunch. Once lunch was over they were taken to the Uniform distribution section where they were fitted for and received their crisp new uniforms. The ID badges and key cards were next on the agenda followed by the scanning of their palm and finger prints, the information being logged into the Preventer data base so they could access the building and areas they had clearance to enter. Then it was off to the firearms department where they were allocated a hand gun each, two spare clips and spare rounds of ammunition.

Wufei checked his watch. "It is nearly time to leave. I'll take you to the sixth floor and show you your office. On the way back out we will call at the medical wing and organize your medicals for tomorrow.

"So, who's our supervising officer then, Wuffie?"

Wufei turned his onyx eyes in Duo's direction and narrowed them. "I am."

Heero began to chuckle but managed to turn it into a strangled coughing fit when he saw the expression on Wufei's stoic face.

Duo's eyes widened. "You are?"

"That is what I said, Maxwell. I think you will need to get your hearing checked when you have your medical tomorrow." Wufei smirked.

"Shit!"

"I suggest calling me by my correct title would greatly benefit you, Agent Night. That is, unless you wish to be completing paperwork for the next few months." Wufei turned his attention back to Heero. "It might pay to have that cough looked at too, Agent Day."

/ Wufei 1... Duo 0. / thought Heero as he schooled his features back to neutrality. It wasn't easy as he could see Duo trying to stifle his urge to come back with some smart assed comment.

Their office was soon located and then the promised stop at the medical wing where Heero and Duo renewed their acquaintance with Sally Po. The medicals were set for the following day and with everything now being completed, Wufei offered to drive them home.

It was with relief that Duo stepped back into the apartment and collapsed onto the couch, tossing his bag with his uniforms, badges and cards to the floor. He yanked the gun out from the back of his jeans and rolled over. "Man, what a day," he griped.

Heero picked up the bag and carried it through to the bedroom where he hung both his and Duo's new uniforms in the closet. The badges and cards he dropped into one of the dresser drawers and then wandered back out to the lounge area where Duo still lay. "Want me to help you move your stuff into my room?"

Duo raised his head and smiled. "Sure, if you want to."

Heero walked over to the couch and sat down, pulling Duo into a half reclining position against his chest. He placed a hand against his cheek and turned Duo's head to face him. Cobalt eyes scanned the sweet face before he lowered his lips and captured Duo's. Tongues quested forth and danced briefly as the kiss deepened a little. Pulling away Heero stared intently into amethyst. "I've been wanting to do that all day," he whispered.

"I've been wanting you to do it too," replied Duo, voice low and husky.

"Let's sort out your belongings and then get some dinner," Heero murmured, his mouth feathering kisses over Duo's jaw as his hand wandered to tweak a nipple through the shirt.

"Fuck, Heero," Duo moaned.

"If you really want to...."

~ * ~

tbc.........

*ducks randomly thrown rotten fruit and runs*

[1] This is a well known expression here in Aussie. It basically means that the distance is so large that you would need a water supply as well as food to traverse it. :)